Briton fatally injured after jumping from 2nd floor of Suvarnabhumi departure terminal

webfact

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

These stories are always tragic, God knows how depressed someone has to be to do this, especially at an airport, such a public place.

i'm not defending the British Embassy since Im American and have no knowledge of them, but doesn't his family bear as much if not more responsibility than some strangers in an embassy.

If it was just the cost of an plane ticket surely their must have been some family member who could have helped?

Just maybe he has done this many times to the family and they got tired of it.....

This is my experience. Often when someone is homeless and broke and needs strangers to help him, the truth is that he has already burned out his family and former friends. He's a serial user of people and needs a new mark.

I'm of course not saying that this is the case, but I can think of 20 people offhand that I could call and get a plane ticket and a place to stay. That's because of what I've done with and for people in the past. People trust me. Additionally, the odds of me ever actually needing that help are almost zero unless I was beaten and robbed far from home and had nothing on me to work with such as my credit cards. Even then my credit card companies would rush replacements to me and my distress would last for a few days at most.

These stories always trigger these thoughts in my mind. What does someone have to do in life to wind up with no one to call for help?

I knew a few people like you myself, who were always so confident about themselves, had every angle covered, kept all their useful contacts nice and cozy, popular kind of guys who never made any mistakes, loved by their family, friends and acquaintances. All of them turned out to be complete losers in the end, 555. One in the park, another in jail and the other bending over in darkrooms for a cocktail. Message; be very careful with this kind of arrogance and cockiness. Anyone can end up down and out.

https://youtu.be/EwPsFz85gGw

What an absolutely sad story.

We all need support at times, especially when we are possibly alone in a foreign country...might do us all good to remember this the next time we feel like cutting somebody down by our remarks when writing to each other in Forums.

May this poor soul RIP and condolences to his family and loved ones. It will be particularly hard for them when they hear people were trying to contact them before his demise.

Synthetic Voice announces,"Hello Embassy of the United Kingdom". For English press 1, for the following list of other languages, listen carefully and press 2 through 179. Which Department are you trying to reach, press 1 through 99. If you know the extension of the person you are trying to reach, dial it now. Or, listen to the following names and extensions. If voice mail is only available, list your name, nature of your call, your return phone number and UK Passport number and someone will return your call within 72 hours, not counting Saturdays and Sundays. Yep, after listening to all that, no wonder this bloke jumped!

Edited by SinCityGr8One

thailand is not paradise,nor is it beautiful, married to a thai have house here but prefer to live in my home country,she lives in thailand.after 3 months here i have to get out to keep my own sanity and it works well.being stuck here would drive some people insane especially if they were on the bones of their ars=.

on a side note ninety percent of the time i have left to go home a embassy official has been present at the airport.[aus embassy]

Edited by heybuz

Good afternoon British Embassy how may we help......you want us to do what! .....ss ..ff.

And so what do you thing the Irish authorities would do ?even answer the phone?.....unlikely?

Edited by MAJIC

The embassy do not exist to save their citizens from the big bad world or indeed themselves. It's like asking Honda to pay for your bike crash costs.

There are notices on govt websites and in passports themselves, about YOUR obligations as an adult on tour or expatriated. Many on this site might try doing more reading and less writing. Some of you seem to get through life in a red nose and greasepaint.

Agreed. But a couple of small changes could be made to improve the image. Like taking off that snotty nosed woman on the recorded answering service who more than likely will tell you to call a UK number or an email that says "we will get back to you in 20 days".

How about a phone number for the VFS passport office in soi 13? It is downright embarrassing always having to call the Australian VFS staff to run around to ask the UK side a question.

OH and has anyone tried to get a UK passport lately? It now takes 9 weeks now that we submit the application in soi 13 when it would only take 3 weeks when we posted the thing ourselved to HK?

Really the UK embassy and Consulate dont know the meaning of the word friendly service. I deal with many embassies and no they are not the worse but do they really need to be compared with third world country consulates?

Oh and have I mentioned how much salary these people are on from the foreign office including living abroad allowances? The best service comes from the lower paid local thai staff.

Rant over.

Back to the OP. There was nothing the UK consulate could have done for this guy.

I think Thailand qualifies for a government hardship posting allowance too.

As far as I recall the British Embassy isn't a mobile ATM for UK tourists to pillage at the slightest, and long may it continue.

They are supposed to assist UK citizens with health issues, but as he was at the airport for sometime trying to contact somebody back home to buy a return ticket, who's to say that the British Embassy wasn't doing everything they could to assist him at the time.

The embassy do not exist to save their citizens from the big bad world or indeed themselves. It's like asking Honda to pay for your bike crash costs.

There are notices on govt websites and in passports themselves, about YOUR obligations as an adult on tour or expatriated. Many on this site might try doing more reading and less writing. Some of you seem to get through life in a red nose and greasepaint.

You must be talking about your country embassy. Mine has a mandate to help citizens in serious distress, the results may not always be ideal but the intent is there.

thailand is not paradise,nor is it beautiful, married to a thai have house here but prefer to live in my home country,she lives in thailand.after 3 months here i have to get out to keep my own sanity and it works well.being stuck here would drive some people insane especially if they were on the bones of their ars=.

on a side note ninety percent of the time i have left to go home a embassy official has been present at the airport.[aus embassy]

she is in good hands the other nine months. Thanks buddy!

yes the hospital she has cancer,thankyou

He should have told them he was a syrian refugee, the embassy would be only too glad to help money and assistance.

And here ladies and gentlemen is a perfect example of why drinking and posting do not mix.

What the other heartless <deleted> who have posted were doing prior to posting I am at a loss to fathom.

Edited by Bluespunk

thats what I meant. I remember when my wife got sick for 8 months I stayed with her all the time.

thats what I meant. I remember when my wife got sick for 8 months I stayed with her all the time.

at a cost of 2800 aud a month the money has to come from somewhere

why go to the airport with no ticket or money? Mental case.

Have some respect will you. Clearly he was not in his right frame of mind but doesn't mean he was a mental case.

A very sad story, however bad it gets this is not the way to go. RIP

I thought it would not be long before the bleeding heart bullies showed up ordering every one to have respect for a suicide, or saying their thoughts are with his family, people nobody even knows, or splashing RIP all over the place. it's the soppy modern disease of media compassion.

What kind of a heartless <deleted> are you mate? You have no idea what this guy killed himself but still you judge him as if he was a scumbag who deserved to die.

I'd like to meet you tonight somewhere for a little chat eye to eye. People like you are the ones who deserve to tap themselves. You and all the other heartless idiots that liked your post

Errr? Dave.. Where does the poster say that the jumper was a "scumbag that deserved to die" and, who is making this judgement?

I thought he was making a valid statement about media compassion as a modern disease.

I would suggest that you read things through a few times, taking some deep breaths and making a go of comprehension before you "jump" on the keyboard.

As far as I recall the British Embassy isn't a mobile ATM for UK tourists to pillage at the slightest, and long may it continue.

They are supposed to assist UK citizens with health issues, but as he was at the airport for sometime trying to contact somebody back home to buy a return ticket, who's to say that the British Embassy wasn't doing everything they could to assist him at the time.

I am, and they weren't.

Edited by metisdead
2. Please do not modify someone else's post in your quoted reply, either with font or color changes or wording.

British National Jumps to Death At BKK Airport: Police

By Teeranai Charuvastra

Staff Reporter

14486083361448608364l.jpg

An officer investigates the scene where a British national fell to his death early this morning in an apparent suicide.

BANGKOK — A U.K. citizen fell to his death at Suvarnabhumi Airport early Friday morning in an apparent suicide.

The man plunged from the departure level at the airport at about 12:30am, said airport police commander Col. Kittipop Chompunut, adding that it was clearly a suicide.

“He was stressed,” the officer said, without elaborating.

Khaosod English is withholding the man’s name pending notification of his relatives.

The British national had earlier attempt to jump to his death but was stopped by airport security, according to another officer, Lt. Col. Kaweewattana Bangkhomtham.

The security guard later told police the man appeared to be in distress, Kaweewattana said.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/detail.php?newsid=1448608336

kse.png

-- Khaosod English 2015-11-27

Cheeky reporter managed to snap a shot of a copper having a sneaky whizz in a secluded parking lot area. thumbsup.gif

This is why immigration should enforce the return ticket home rule.

and it's their problem if an arriving passenger is denied entry due to the lack of return/onward flight

That is a myth, passengers foot the bill.

The Conditions of Carriage state that the passenger is responsible for any costs incurred by the airline arising from denial of entry.

RIP, But it is the embassy's fault that some nut case could not handle it.It is a coward's way out.

Jesus Christ!

The Palestine embassy did nothing for him when the Romans abused and murdered him.wink.png

Of course they did ratcatcher, but they were just three days late.