Thai junta faces backlog of industry problems as global scrutiny mounts

Jonathan Fairfield

Thai junta faces backlog of industry problems as global scrutiny mounts

By Amy Sawitta Lefevre and Andrew R.C. Marshall

BANGKOK (Reuters) - Thailand's military seized power last year vowing to halt years of political unrest. Now the junta faces one dividend of its imposed peace: a snowballing backlog of safety and compliance problems within key industries that previous civilian governments failed to tackle.

International scrutiny of industries such as fishing and aviation poses another challenge to a military which has struggled to revitalize Thailand's economy and thaw diplomatic and trade relations with Western countries since its May 2014 coup.

A report commissioned by Swiss food giant Nestle SA released on Monday said its seafood supply chain in Thailand included slave labor, sparking renewed calls to clean up a $3 billion industry long dogged by allegations of abuse.

Two days later, a study released by labor rights groups Swedwatch and Finnwatch said factory workers from Cambodia and Myanmar also faced exploitation by Thai brokers and employers who withheld their passports and levied exorbitant fees.

And next month Thailand faces crucial judgments by international bodies that could threaten seafood exports and shake confidence in the country's aviation industry.

reuterslogo.jpg
-- Reuters 2015-11-28

The current and previous Thai governments pretty much give lip service to labor abuses and will not take some kind of corrective action until literally forced into a corner. And it's not only labor abuses with workers from surrounding countries, but also Thai nationals.

I've monitored closely a couple of my in-laws go jump from various jobs over the last year...minimum wage/Bt300 per day type jobs. Good, hard working people just trying to find a descent job even at minimum wage. They will jump from one minimum wage job to another due to the poor work conditions and/or labor abuses. But rather than complaining to a govt agency they just go find another job which usually turns out to be no better or worst. So sad.

They (past Govts and current Junta) will/have all had isue trying to stem the inconsistencies in labour and illegal marine industry abuses.............just because there are too many connected people of high status involved.

IMO, they would rather face sanctions, unemployment, bad media and etc, than upset the status quo. They're nuts!!

"And it's not only labor abuses with workers from surrounding countries, but also Thai nationals."

I agree 100%. I recently found out that if a teacher takes a day off work at the school close to my village that they do not get paid the days wage and also are required to pay 200B to the school. How ridiculous is that.

Edited by ldiablo

The current and previous Thai governments pretty much give lip service to labor abuses and will not take some kind of corrective action until literally forced into a corner. And it's not only labor abuses with workers from surrounding countries, but also Thai nationals.

I've monitored closely a couple of my in-laws go jump from various jobs over the last year...minimum wage/Bt300 per day type jobs. Good, hard working people just trying to find a descent job even at minimum wage. They will jump from one minimum wage job to another due to the poor work conditions and/or labor abuses. But rather than complaining to a govt agency they just go find another job which usually turns out to be no better or worst. So sad.

You do realise that companies have been failing to comply not governments.....

These massive exporters in these industries have known for decades about these problems and have chosen to do NOTHING because it would effect their bottom line.

Ideally Thailand should aim to increase trade with regimes that don't care how the goods are produced. Slaves..........normal. Environmentally hazardous......So what! ............countries that believe in live and let live and where the law of the jungle is the norm. True freedom. Kill or be killed.

The first thing that rule of law would manifest is higher, much higher, prices for almost everything, and nobody but the sellers want that.

Not necessarily true. Thailand could remain competitive if it successfully reduced corruption, with the benefits shifted from the "Hi-So's" pockets to the workers. Snowballs chance in hell of that happening, huh.

"And it's not only labor abuses with workers from surrounding countries, but also Thai nationals."

I agree 100%. I recently found out that if a teacher takes a day off work at the school close to my village that they do not get paid the days wage and also are required to pay 200B to the school. How ridiculous is that.

No work.......No pay. Sounds perfectly reasonable to me unless the time off is because of sickness ? The 200 baht is probably for the added expenses of other staff required to do the absentee's job.

Ideally Thailand should aim to increase trade with regimes that don't care how the goods are produced. Slaves..........normal. Environmentally hazardous......So what! ............countries that believe in live and let live and where the law of the jungle is the norm. True freedom. Kill or be killed.

And U support that concept , I guess that's how U were employed and made your money to stay in Thailand.

You do realise that companies have been failing to comply not governments.....

These massive exporters in these industries have known for decades about these problems and have chosen to do NOTHING because it would effect their bottom line.

and the importing multinationals benefiting from those torrid conditions have done nothing, like nike and sundry in the clothing industries , profits before humans and they wont do anything till the spot light is squarely and brightly shone on them.

No work.......No pay. Sounds perfectly reasonable to me unless the time off is because of sickness ? The 200 baht is probably for the added expenses of other staff required to do the absentee's job.

Thai labour law states:

An employee is entitled to a 30 days sick leave per annum with pay. If sick leave is taken 3 or more consecutive days, a medical certificate is required. A sickness from work related injury does not count as absent through illness. A pregnant female employee is entitled to a maternity leave of not more than 90 days for each pregnancy with pay for 45 days.

Maybe I should have been more clear.

If a Thai teacher takes a day off work for being sick they have their days wage deducted from their salary and also are required to pay 200b to the school.

Also for maternity leave this school only allows 30 days when the law clearly states 90 days leave with 45 days paid.

I also found out that the district chief position can be easily bought at 2 million baht. Once bought, there would be assistants helping him / her to recoup this "investment" during hie / her tenure.

There are too many things yet to be discovered but anyway, this failed country has been running on failed systems for decades. Its their life. Do what they like.

I don't think this lot are going to pay lip service, nor do I think that they are going to change even when backed into a corner. They will simply back away and alienate themselves even further from the west and seek even more acceptance by their idols China.

send them to me or any other company in Bangkok.

Cleaning woman <12000 Baht no....currently we pay 500 Baht for something like half a day. No chance of finding anyone, specially noone who would clean and not sit and chat.

Our foreman (30.000 Baht per month) tells in his previous company he had all kind of problems: mostly lao kao....even thrown over the concrete fence to bypass checks. Also fights....The output is just not worth 300 Baht. Only getting the a few people under control was a full time job.

The first thing that rule of law would manifest is higher, much higher, prices for almost everything, and nobody but the sellers want that.

Baloney!

Thailand has plenty of industries where workers are not abused and treated poorly mostly those working for multinational manufacturers here.

And there are a few decent Thai companies like CP and Siam Cement that do good by their employees. The point is, these companies and many more are thriving and selling their products in Thailand and abroad despite being good employers.

I think it was Stalin that said ''The Masses are merely useful Idiots ''. I'm sure such thoughts are within the minds of everyone that forms part of the 'Thai Elite'. Don't expect change anytime soon as no matter who is running the country they are all of the same ilk.

Well, now you have found out what real governments have to do. Jobs that serve all the people have to be tackled, and completed. Jobs that are tedious, and difficult, but then again you don't have to wear a side arm, that must be a plus. Oh, what is that I hear, phom khikiet. Never-mind, like all your predecessors, you can do it tomorrow.

Baloney!

Thailand has plenty of industries where workers are not abused and treated poorly mostly those working for multinational manufacturers here.

And there are a few decent Thai companies like CP and Siam Cement that do good by their employees. The point is, these companies and many more are thriving and selling their products in Thailand and abroad despite being good employers.

Completely agree. The costs that drive prices higher in civilized parts of the world is not so much the price of labor but the costs incurred from unsafe practices and insurance. If Thailand chooses to continue being a third world country in that aspect they always will be and when laws against slave labor, etc. finally get enforced, they'll be so far behind the 8 ball they might end up losing the house of cards they've been trying to build up and be one of the poorer counties in SE Asia.

Ah yes, the old "things will cost a lot more" excuse. Industry trade groups and individual companies have been using this for generations to fight efforts to improve worker safety and human rights.

The fact is that all of these issues have been been experienced and documented in all of the more developed countries. Every time a supposed regulation is implemented and then a measurement of the impact is made, the truth is that the often the new regulation reduces overall costs to company or increased cost to the consumer is a fraction of what was claimed.

The reall issue facing Thailand is the apparent conflicting goals of entering the mainstream of international life and, at the same time, rejecting any of the necessary requirements. It has been a problem with every country run by an oligarchy ruled government.

I agree; even if they did complain no one here listens. Pathetic abuse of fellow Thais, while claiming to love brother Thais and Thailand... Yet again - or should it be still - another example of walk and talk not being the same.