UK Life Certificate 2015

Yes, it's THAT time of the year again - or at least I THINK it is!

Last year, I received the Life form (my first ever, so a newbie) on 23rd November - and which had taken almost a month to arrive at my house from some European country (certainly not the UK). All very well and I was able to get it signed stamped and sent off back to HM after about a week.

This year, so far nothing, nada, nowt even. Now I'm left feeling not sure that it's an annual event, or whether they just send out a form whenever they think it's about time to do so - like winning in a lottery, perhaps. I understand that these forms can be sent out to arrive in November and/or in January(?), but then again, I'm none too sure about that, either..

Can any member advise me about the following :

1. Are these pesky forms sent EVERY year?

2. Should I be concerned that a Life form hasn't yet arrived (if 1. answer is "Yes")?

3. Can this form be downloaded from the internet at all?

4. Is there an email address to contact the Pensions Office (Newcastle?)?

Yes, I know I can possibly call Newcastle and ask. Unfortunately, I don't hear too well and I definitely don't understand Geordie or "other" accents, no offense meant.

Appreciate your comments....

God 'elp us all.......whistling.gif

Cheers biggrin.png

It is supposed to prove you are still with us, and thus eligible still to claim the UK state pension. Private pension providers also use them I believe.

Yes, occupational pensioner providers definitely do use them as well, as I can vouch from personal experience.

In the case of the UK State Pension, it is, I gather, the practice of the Pension Service to require these certificates to be completed and returned to them within 56 days. Bearing in mind that, as the Pension Service themselves state, snail mail communications between the UK and Thailand can take up to 28 days to reach their destinations, it is probably no coincidence - and, indeed, a deliberately conscious act, I strongly suspect, on the Pension Service's part - that requests for completed life certificates are (as the OP has stated) usually instigated in November each year, in the full knowledge that Royal Mail's delivery service back in the UK will prove even slower than normal over the Christmas period - and, as a result, increase the risk of the overall 56-day deadline being missed, with all which that might entail!

Edited by OJAS

After searching more, it looks like the Life Cert thing is (perhaps) sent out every OTHER year. Can't find any real concrete info, though.

But if that's the case, then I have peace and quiet until November 2016........yippee!

biggrin.png

I've never had one from the DWP in 6 years. When there was a thread running here a year or more ago when many appeared to be receiving them I was concerned that I hadn't had one, so I sent them an email. They replied that I hadn't "been selected this time." I doubt there is any fixed period which raises concern that if they send the form and it doesn't arrive, you won't know until they stop your pension.

Well, that certainly doesn't make life any easier! How on earth are you supposed to KNOW that a Life Cert has been sent to you? Yes, I know - the pension suddenly stops arriving and then you're left to try and figure out just why. blink.png In this day age of of high-speed internet, you'd think it'd be a piece of cake for HM to let you know a Cert was on its way - or even to manage the whole affair electronically. Yes, I know - in my dreams....wink.png

Still, good for you that you didn't have the "pleasure" last time around. It's real nuisance, having to find 'qualified' people (preferably with a rubber stamp, too) to do the deed. It must be very difficult for people living in out-of-the-way places or new to their area, or sick or disabled.

Anyway, I still regularly check the mail box - just in case.rolleyes.gif