Leave the bikini alone: Feminism fire lit in Bangkok by UN Women’s film fest

rooster59

Leave the bikini alone: Feminism fire lit in Bangkok by UN Women’s film fest

header_-_duk.jpg

BANGKOK: Charismatic Zainab, the 10-year-old daughter of a tribal leader in Northern Pakistan, is at the age where she dreams of meeting her Prince Charming. Like a pretty doll in a pretty dress, Zainab often imagines what her future wedding will be like.

The same moment the child is brushing her doll’s hair at home, her father arranges to marry her to a man his age to end vengeance between two tribes.

“What is this spot?” Zainab pointed at the red stain on her mother’s wedding dress, days before her wedding.

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2015/11/28/leave-bikini-alone-feminism-fire-lit-bangkok-un-womens-film-fest

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2015-11-28

We have to remember that the prophet married Aisha when she was 6 and raped her when she was 9, according to Islamic scripture. As he is regarded as the perfect example of a man then his behavior towards women obviously has a very regrettable influence today on many. Muslim men too frequently view females as inferior, property or if non believers rape victims.

any advice on how to not attract unwanted sexual attention is always interpreted by some of little intelligence and zero cultural awareness as "blaming the victim".

stupid is stupid, man or woman, gender doesn't change anything.

any advice on how to not attract unwanted sexual attention is always interpreted by some of little intelligence and zero cultural awareness as "blaming the victim".

stupid is stupid, man or woman, gender doesn't change anything.

JE SUIS CHARLIE ... SEND THE LEGION AGAINST ISIS

This is exactly what they want. The holy war against the non believer. The more bombs you throw the more followers IS will have. Think again.

Wow. The old "victim blaming doesn't exist" canard, and only three replies into the thread.

Clueless dude being a clueless dude. There's a significant difference between the reaction a woman gets versus the reaction a man gets for doing the "same thing." There isn't a comparison, and it's ridiculous to make such a comparison.

"Men fear women will laugh at them. Women fear men will kill them."

Having spent 19 years in the Gulf Middle East, something became clear to me: Arab women in that area are complicit in their cloistered, restricted, sometimes oppressed lives. Just like wacky cult members elsewhere in the world. Certain major religions are, after all, nothing but a huge cult based on superstition, and attractive to people who'd rather not put in the effort to think for themselves. (There was a Saudi woman doctor--who of course was allowed to see only female patients--who said "I worked hard to get where I am. Why should I have to drive?" I rest my case).

Edited by Dustdevil

We have to remember that the prophet married Aisha when she was 6 and raped her when she was 9, according to Islamic scripture. As he is regarded as the perfect example of a man then his behavior towards women obviously has a very regrettable influence today on many. Muslim men too frequently view females as inferior, property or if non believers rape victims.

The prophet was a man and therefore was not and is not regarded as perfect, he himself stated as much. That is also why some mislims do not like drawings of him because he may then be revered as a god when he is not.

So yet again you are wrong, but you dont seem to tire of it.

The age of Aisha on consummation varies from 9 to 24. Generally acknowledged at around 9.

SOME muslim men consider females inferior, but it is usually a facade, it is common for the woman to rule the roost.

Care to list the age of consent for women in muslim countries compared to christian countries? I think you will find age of consent varies based on culture, not religion.

We are all complicit in our own oppression. That's because oppressive frameworks are self-perpetuating, and the most insidious parts of those frameworks are largely invisible to our eyes. Only being outside of the frameworks can we ever hope to have a perfect understanding of how they are built, but since we live inside of them, this is impossible. The best we can do is try to reform what we can, by reason, figure out.

And surprisingly women often total agree, enforce or be even more fanatic.Not only in Islam in every religion that suppress women (most)

Islam is very appealing to men they will never let it go. The religion offers instant gratification and elevation of self esteem for men no matter if they are complete losers. They have complete control over women and are treated as demi-gods. No mater how pathetic or useless the men are no woman will ever look down upon them.

Unfortunately ignorance and arrogance make good bedfellows so there will always be a tendency for men to believe they are the superior sex but really they are just bullies. No matter the culture, race or religion - men who oppress women are cowards and do not deserve to walk this earth.

I ask my wife repeatedly why Thai women put up with the childish antics of their menfolk as they are so obviously the stronger willed and more intelligent - but I guess there is no clear reason why women put up with men, period, anywhere.

If women ran things the world would be a far more peaceful place.

Having spent 19 years in the Gulf Middle East, something became clear to me: Arab women in that area are complicit in their cloistered, restricted, sometimes oppressed lives. Just like wacky cult members elsewhere in the world. Certain major religions are, after all, nothing but a huge cult based on superstition, and attractive to people who'd rather not put in the effort to think for themselves. (There was a Saudi woman doctor--who of course was allowed to see only female patients--who said "I worked hard to get where I am. Why should I have to drive?" I rest my case).

yes battered women in the western world are much the same, complicit in their own beatings.

you should rest your case in the dumpster.

Unfortunately ignorance and arrogance make good bedfellows so there will always be a tendency for men to believe they are the superior sex but really they are just bullies. No matter the culture, race or religion - men who oppress women are cowards and do not deserve to walk this earth.

I ask my wife repeatedly why Thai women put up with the childish antics of their menfolk as they are so obviously the stronger willed and more intelligent - but I guess there is no clear reason why women put up with men, period, anywhere.

If women ran things the world would be a far more peaceful place.

In this country and many others it's the women who bring food to the family table on a consistent basis. (and every other basic necessity)