Behind the Thai Smile – What are they really thinking?

Inspire

I get very pleasant return smiles from people on a regular basis, and there is no ulterior motive because they are folks I happen to encounter as I walk along... they are not going to get anything else from me than a facial expression of good will. Especially gratifying are the ones who look doubtful or pissed off at first, but break out in a "happy face" when I persist.

My GF has remarked "You do not have to smile at everybody!" I suspect she means the other Thai ladies. smile.png

Fully agree. Cannot understand farangs who do not smile. Didn't we come here to be happy.

lol that is gold - so easy to smile and be smiled back at.

seems that the naysayers herein are perhaps jaded by the over run tourist precinct areas or they are just miserable SOS's,

i find that smiling is the norm rather than the opposite.

to those that think that there is an ulterior motive behind everyone well i guess you live in a very shallow and tainted world - bad luck i am glad that i don't

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sure there are cases when Thais realize that their smiles are being misread by foreigners, but most Thais know how to interpret the meaning of a smile from the context it is given.

Just because foreigners haven't yet learned to interpret the nuanced meanings of Thai smiles doesn't mean that they should automatically leap to the conclusion that they are being misled or deceived.

Edited by Gecko123

My TGF at the time, while we were living together, her being a very social person took it upon herself to talk talk and talk to all the shops in our soi. She used to get her hair done at one particular place and the owner noticed she had a foreign boyfriend. The only thing she asked of her in relation to me:

"He good man, give money?"

No bars, just ordinary soi and ordinary people asking this. The simple fact is that there is no DSS or safety net over there so most are shit scared of not having a roof over their head and food in their mouths. Who can they give thanks to for this?

You want to see genuine Thai smiles? Start in Chiang Mai, get on a "big bike", 250cc or bigger, with a good helmet and kit. Then take a trip to Chiang Dao, then up to Fang, back down to Prae, then Phayao, head for Lampang, then Phitsanulok, down to Ayutthaya, then head for Loei, then Khon Kaen, over to Roi Et, then Udon Thani. Then go to Tak, up to Nakon Sawan, and finally back to Chiang Mai.

Along the way stop in the small villages. Enjoy their food and hospitality. Stop at the road side stalls where they sell fruit and vegetables. Get off the bike, buy some fruit or veggies, sit down and enjoy them. I guarantee the people will give you REAL Thai smiles. They will want to talk to you. Nervously, of course, because they seldom know English, but they will try if you smile at them. They will ask if you can speak Thai. They will want to know where you are from. Not just which country, but where you live in Thailand. They will want to know if you have a Thai girlfriend or Thai wife. They will want to know why you came to Thailand, or why you live in Thailand.

It's none of that fake, plastic shit like you see in Phuket, Pattaya, and Bangkok. It's real, and they are genuine. I know, because for the better part of 5 years, that's exactly what I did for 3-6 days at a time. Then I got felled by a stroke. But I'm working through that, and in another 3 months or so, I'm buying a new bike and I'm heading out again. The people I've met on these trips are the real Thai people, and they are beautiful.

Spot on mate!!! Get back in the saddle!!!!!

I've never understood why people complain about 'fake' smiles. In other countries, does a smile automatically indicate a commitment to a lifelong friendship or total honesty? Sometimes people just smile out of politeness, or as a bland greeting, or just because their boss told them to. Why do people expect Thailand to be any different?

Concur. I'm watching my Thai nieces and nephews grow up (extended family, great - I'm fortunate). Anyway, 15 month old kid, quote "yim wan" - smile sweet. And he does, most humourous. They are taught at a young age - politeness, courtesy? I don't know. But I have no problem with it, just more of an understanding......not really hard to decipher sincerity.

You want to see genuine Thai smiles? Start in Chiang Mai, get on a "big bike", 250cc or bigger, with a good helmet and kit. Then take a trip to Chiang Dao, then up to Fang, back down to Prae, then Phayao, head for Lampang, then Phitsanulok, down to Ayutthaya, then head for Loei, then Khon Kaen, over to Roi Et, then Udon Thani. Then go to Tak, up to Nakon Sawan, and finally back to Chiang Mai.

Along the way stop in the small villages. Enjoy their food and hospitality. Stop at the road side stalls where they sell fruit and vegetables. Get off the bike, buy some fruit or veggies, sit down and enjoy them. I guarantee the people will give you REAL Thai smiles. They will want to talk to you. Nervously, of course, because they seldom know English, but they will try if you smile at them. They will ask if you can speak Thai. They will want to know where you are from. Not just which country, but where you live in Thailand. They will want to know if you have a Thai girlfriend or Thai wife. They will want to know why you came to Thailand, or why you live in Thailand.

It's none of that fake, plastic shit like you see in Phuket, Pattaya, and Bangkok. It's real, and they are genuine. I know, because for the better part of 5 years, that's exactly what I did for 3-6 days at a time. Then I got felled by a stroke. But I'm working through that, and in another 3 months or so, I'm buying a new bike and I'm heading out again. The people I've met on these trips are the real Thai people, and they are beautiful.

Complete agreement.

I've toured many times around the north on a bike and like you, stopped at many off-the-beaten-track places. Nice people, nice food and a lot of warmth out there.

REAL Thailand.

Actually - you don't need a bike. ;) About 5 years ago I took the buses all over the north and Issan over a period of a year, including the rainy season. All the folks I met where outstandingly helpful in getting me on the right bus for the next leg, making sure I had the right ticket, etc, and could not have been nicer. The real Thai people are warm-hearted and generous, and their smile is true.

The Thai people you meet in the tourist/expat hotspots are there for the work. They use their charming smile as their most effective work-tool, but it has none of the meanings that I experienced with the smiles out in the real country.

Hit the nail on the head,,so refreshing to see a positive post about LOS.

I live in the south and have not done that trip but it sounds fantastic,,,one day,,,

Real thailand is not Pattaya,Phuket,Samui,Hua hin,,etc etc.You will find at least 90% of the thai people who

frequent these places are not "born there"most are just there for the work(legitimate&illegitimate).

Too many judgments are made from these tourist epicenters which are not truly representative of genuine thai people as a whole.

As far as I am concerned there is no cultures or places on earth that are perfect.Often you get back what you give out.

Wouldn't anyone rather see a smile than a frown,i see many farang walking around around like the weight of the world is on their shoulders,

so to me its a state of mind.

My experience in travelling around is,if you give a smile i've always got one back,,even when no english is spoken at all,,,and its genuine,,not "would you like fries with that?"

Here endith the lesson!!!!!!

Get out there.........

Life is an echo

What you send out, comes back

What you sow, you reap

What you give, you get

What you see in others exists in you

I've never understood why people complain about 'fake' smiles. In other countries, does a smile automatically indicate a commitment to a lifelong friendship or total honesty? Sometimes people just smile out of politeness, or as a bland greeting, or just because their boss told them to. Why do people expect Thailand to be any different?

Because TAT christined "Thailand the land of smiles" and later "Amazing Thailand" don't tell me that's not true either rolleyes.gif

Because TAT christined "Thailand the land of smiles" and later "Amazing Thailand" don't tell me that's not true either rolleyes.gif

So you took an advertising slogan at face value?

And yet people claim the Thais lack critical thinking skills...

So you took an advertising slogan at face value?

And yet people claim the Thais lack critical thinking skills...

And you didn't even see the smiley!

Hit the nail on the head,,so refreshing to see a positive post about LOS.

I live in the south and have not done that trip but it sounds fantastic,,,one day,,,

Real thailand is not Pattaya,Phuket,Samui,Hua hin,,etc etc.You will find at least 90% of the thai people who

frequent these places are not "born there"most are just there for the work(legitimate&illegitimate).

Too many judgments are made from these tourist epicenters which are not truly representative of genuine thai people as a whole.

As far as I am concerned there is no cultures or places on earth that are perfect.Often you get back what you give out.

Wouldn't anyone rather see a smile than a frown,i see many farang walking around around like the weight of the world is on their shoulders,

so to me its a state of mind.

My experience in travelling around is,if you give a smile i've always got one back,,even when no english is spoken at all,,,and its genuine,,not "would you like fries with that?"

Here endith the lesson!!!!!!

Get out there.........

Yes, just live your life with happiness, give smile, receive back poeple smile and enjoy this.

At least, poeple smile in this nice country and it's good.

Spot on mate!!! Get back in the saddle!!!!!

Its true the people in the provinces are much nicer and it aint all doom and gloom like I seem to whine about. My best holiday was last year started in CM, did the road trips and it was cheap and good and the people nice (But no kitty to play with at night)

I do love the motorcyclists who toured Isaan and think people are any more or less genuine up there and Chiang Mai?? Are you kidding.

The rural living people in those areas often become hookers or vendors in Pattaya or Bangkok red light areas. They know about farangs and see loads of them up there either touring or being brought home by their 'girlfriends'

One cannot generalise, good hearted people exist everywhere with genuine smiles which incidentally, just like in the west, can mean a range of different things.

Get the cultural mist out of your eyes fellas.

Behind the smile the stranger lies,
Beware of what is in his eyes.
Looks like fun but he's after you,
It's not so funny what that smile can do...

Behind the smile there lies a face
Filled with cunning, but he's full of grace.
Comes on friendly but is deadly too,
Beware or he'll take care of you...

An innocence so well rehearsed
And so naïve,
That's all you ever see.

Behind the smile you cannot see
Lies another full of mystery
Don't be fooled by that friendly grin
The jaws of death are going to call you in...

Perhaps it's bc TH has dubbed itself the Land of Smiles, thus suggesting their smiles are more sincere than others'. I'm sure somewhere on AmericaVisa.com, there's a thread about how the US is not really the land of the free. Edited by eldragon