Head Lice With Kids

tutsiwarrior

all my girls got head lice and can never rid...they got the short school girl bob and they all sleep together. I says to the wife 'there must be some kinda shampoo...' but she says not.

I say bullshed, there must be some kinda medicated shampoo available on the market for this purpose...what do you guys say?

thanks in advance...

Edited by tutsiwarrior

all my girls got head lice and can never rid...they got the short school girl bob and they all sleep together. I says to the wife 'there must be some kinda shampoo...' but she says not.

I say bulshed, there must be some kinda medicated shampoo for this purpose...what do you guys say?

thanks in advance...

I know we use medicated shampoos back in Aus when there was an outbreak in the schools .

Nit combs as well . Would think that pharmacies in Thailand would have some type of wash .

Don't take this advice without confirmation from other posters as I haven't done it myself . But .

I heard that washing the hair in kerosine , leave it in for an hour , the wash it out , is an old method used . I think it needs to be done a few days after as well , to break the breeding cycle .

Cheers ,

Jim .

There are shampoos and ointments available from most pharmacies in Thailand to treat head lice. They are very harsh though. You might also want to try tea tree oil. Body Shop sells that. If you google head lice, you will find a ton of information on how to get rid of the little buggers.

You will have to wash all sheets, cushion covers, towels etc to make sure to get rid of the eggs. Head lice are cyclic so you have to shampoo to kill the live ones, and redo the treatment as the shampoo will not kill the eggs. It is difficult but it can be done. Takes a bit of perseverance.

Make sure the school does head checks and any children with lice or eggs should be sent home until it is cleared up or they will just re-infest one another.

Good luck. It's a tough one.

Any drugstore will have treatment for head lice. It is not a shampoo but a liquid that you use and remove according to the instructions for use. But bedding really needs to be cleaned at the same time and believe the only sure way is to heat to boil so it might be a case of replace everything to be sure. You may also want to give the toys/dolls a good insect spray at the same time.

thanks to all of youse for your prompt replies. Kids don't take to harsh treatments for whatever reason so it looks like a situation that we're gonna have to live with.

actually...grooming as in the primate terminology appears to be a popular passtime in Thailand and there is not much more appealing than to see a a languid girl in the lap of another being searched for nits. So it is a situation that we shall need to put up with. We already deal with 3 loads of laundry per day and regular washing of bedclhothes is out of the question.

Vermin are an annoyance, but a very western one...maybe I should go home to Pasadena...

thanks to all...

(you can close now Lop, if that is yer preference...)

Edited by tutsiwarrior

Tea Tree oil is effective and not too harsh for small children. Pretty sure it's available here :o

EDIT You mix a few drops with shampoo when you do their hair. Won't kill the eggs though so you have to repeat treatment a few times.

Edited by Crossy

You can use mineral oil (baby oil) or cooking oil instead of kerosene. You pour a goodly amount of oil into the hair, and saturate it all very very thoroughly. Then you squish all the hair down and wrap it up tightly in plastic wrap. Leave for about 30 mintes. The oil suffocates the lice. Then you shampoo the oil out, and very carefully comb out all the nits -which are still "live"- with a very fine-toothed comb. Repeat in 2 weeks or less. It's not toxic, and works against even resistant lice.

The nits can and do get deposited on bedding, clothing, and upholstery. Put any stuffed animals, or anything else than cannot be washed in very hot water, into a large ziplock baggie and freeze them for two weeks. The nits will hatch and die, infestation cured. You really need to do all of this at once, to prevent prompt reinfestation. I'd advise new pillows, boiled sheets, and vacuumed mattresses and upholstered furniture.

Alternatively you could go down the UK route. Conditioner on dry hair (lots) and a fine tooth comb. This was introduced when the head lice became resistant to the normal chemical lotions and potions. It's what we do when ours get lice :o

tutsi,

here in israel, head lice are the basic norm until the kids reach puberty; i kid u not, the girls stop getting lice at around 14-18 yrs old, something with the body chemistry

we use rosemary oil as detterant; conditioner in the hair and combing with a lice comb every day or every other day

most adults dont seem prone to getting lice ; i do, once in a while, a good combing in the shower does the trick

sending kids home is useless and degradign; the schools here have given up;

no karosene it burns the scalp

some anti lice shampoos work once or twice but the buggers develop imunity

we even have a childrens story book about a lice (louse?) living on a bald head etc for children of kindergarten age

my youngest (with super thick, super long blond hair) suffers the most; we use some new stuff, an israeli natural formula that supposedly kills the lice and destroys the eggs (too good to be true) but stick with the combing every day or every other day.... she showers, puts in the conditioner, then wraps in a towel and i sit and comb her super thick long hair, washing the comb out in water... then back to the shower to rinse. it takes about 20 minutes a day (good mother/daughter bonding here)and some screaming (tangles thick hair), but most effective method we found \recommended by the kibbutz childrens' nurse

my son, who has rastas also has his own personal pets, he scratches occasionally, but he's 16+ so i cant do his hair, he has to deal on his own.

the 18 yr old has not add any personal pets for a year

oops lieserly just posted what iw as recommending; just we do it on wet hair, especially if u have horse tail hair or curly hair, it prevents your children for sueing u for abuse while combing.

good luck

forgot: every child/adult has own lice comb, according to type of hair and preference (cheapy thai double sided plastic comb, german black unbreakable comb, metal pronged long tines comb, double edges comb (cuts thru tangles), we have them all, and if a child refuses to comb, then the scissors come out, for a short short bob, makes the combing easier....

bina

israel

i can send u the childrens' book if u want, its really rather funny

tutsi,

here in israel, head lice are the basic norm until the kids reach puberty; i kid u not, the girls stop getting lice at around 14-18 yrs old, something with the body chemistry

we use rosemary oil as detterant; conditioner in the hair and combing with a lice comb every day or every other day

most adults dont seem prone to getting lice ; i do, once in a while, a good combing in the shower does the trick

sending kids home is useless and degradign; the schools here have given up;

no karosene it burns the scalp

some anti lice shampoos work once or twice but the buggers develop imunity

we even have a childrens story book about a lice (louse?) living on a bald head etc for children of kindergarten age

my youngest (with super thick, super long blond hair) suffers the most; we use some new stuff, an israeli natural formula that supposedly kills the lice and destroys the eggs (too good to be true) but stick with the combing every day or every other day.... she showers, puts in the conditioner, then wraps in a towel and i sit and comb her super thick long hair, washing the comb out in water... then back to the shower to rinse. it takes about 20 minutes a day (good mother/daughter bonding here)and some screaming (tangles thick hair), but most effective method we found \recommended by the kibbutz childrens' nurse

my son, who has rastas also has his own personal pets, he scratches occasionally, but he's 16+ so i cant do his hair, he has to deal on his own.

the 18 yr old has not add any personal pets for a year

oops lieserly just posted what iw as recommending; just we do it on wet hair, especially if u have horse tail hair or curly hair, it prevents your children for sueing u for abuse while combing.

good luck

forgot: every child/adult has own lice comb, according to type of hair and preference (cheapy thai double sided plastic comb, german black unbreakable comb, metal pronged long tines comb, double edges comb (cuts thru tangles), we have them all, and if a child refuses to comb, then the scissors come out, for a short short bob, makes the combing easier....

bina

israel

i can send u the childrens' book if u want, its really rather funny

bina, darling...thanks for your wonderful post. I have recently introduced conditioner into the family and it has not only helped to control the lice but has made my girls all the more beautiful. I will discuss the comb issue with the wife and to implement accordingly.

That's all I can do, unfortunately...I always try to help out when needed but most of the time I'm viewed as a drunken encumbrance that begs for massages from the womenfolk.

thanks to all for your suggestions...

Edited by tutsiwarrior