Thai govt's effort to boost tourism: Special report

webfact

The minister for tourism is either being mis quoted or he has given incorrect advice to our ruler. Talk to anyone in the tourist industry and those businesses affected by it and they all have the same story, one of the worst years ever for tourists. (this has been the story since the coup). Major hotels only about 30% or less occupancy. Many bars empty forcing numerous closures and other businesses affected by tourists showing significent lack of income.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I suspect they mean tourist attractions. I'm all for banning smoking In a Public place. Smokers just don't realise how unpleasant it is having smoke blown in your face while enjoying a beach, food or drink or any activity. They think it's a God given right to do so.

Espessialy if you want people from Singapore to visit as they will be comming from a country that has clean streets, public toilets, strict and enforced rules on public behaviour,

And voted the most emtionLESS people in the world.

By whose standard?

Its a good idea, to generate the tourism industry and focus on new tourist or a specific country for their people to visit the LOS, but the real challenge or goal is to get those people to return next year and for them to tell their freinds and family to come back and to continue to return.

And for me the main way to do that is to have the tourists to enjoy thier stay and not feeling that they just got ripped off by a street vendor, taxi driver etc... in a place that has dirty streets and Rowdy expat hayhoos, who are frequently seen peeing and mis behaving in the middle of the street.http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/855936-urinating-brits-visit-pattaya-police-station-following-viral-facebook-video/

Espessialy if you want people from Singapore to visit as they will be comming from a country that has clean streets, public toilets, strict and enforced rules on public behaviour, I have spoken to a few tourists from Hong Kong, Singapore, Macau who have visited the LOS and they all sing that same tune, Its dirty, got ripped off, didn't trust the taxi driver, scary bad street behaviour, didn't feel safe at night.

Thats what they need to focus on and the only way to do that is to start with a big broom and start sweeping out the tourist areas of these issues.

Stop smoking in public areas and street drinking yes, but don't stop drinking and smoking in tourist areas e.g in pubs, clubs, resturants and places of entertanment unless you completely want to change the type of people you want touring the LOS

Thanks for taking the time to read my post

Getting rid of the yobbos and troublemakers should be the first priority. You have nailed it and a good post.

No smoking? That'l draw the Chinese in in droves!

The Government might want Chinese tourists, but anyone who has a business in a tourism area can tell you they do not spend money. They book everything in China as a package deal before they come. They know where they are going to eat each day, they know exactly what they are doing it and the time they are doing it. The Thai people here call them the zero tourist, meaning tourist but spend zero money. Sure tourist numbers might be up, but the spending sure isn't.

I think this article sums up the current state of affairs quite well. Banning alcohol and smoking will just add to it.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/30/world/asia/thailand-economy-tourism.html?_r=0

Good article but your arguing that 'banning alcohol and smoking will just add to it' is specious. Thailand would be an infinitely nicer holiday destination if it didn't rely on the types who would not visit if they found it less convenient to get pissed up and pollute other's air with their filthy habit. The shit holes of Pattaya (Walking Street) and Phuket (Bangla) spring to mind.

Not sure who are the people that propose all of these silly and stupid idea? who are they? people who knows

crap all about tourism? people who want to ruin Thailand tourism? people who grew in temples

and monasteries? (not that they any better than the average man in the street when it come to vices)

or just a bunch of shit for brains bureaucrats? and the most astonishing fact is that people in the government

even considering such crazy ideas.

Big Chief Five Rivers is an ascetic who neither smokes nor drinks and apparently doesn't like girls, either. Could just be a coincidence, of course.

Meung Thai or Thailand means "land of the free". Maybe these people that call themselves the "government? need a history lesson

and take a good look at what made or used to make Thailand so special. It's always been a very free country, now not so much.

What a shame, the Thai people suffer because the government wants to do things to restrict tourists or maybe to create ways to fine them. TSK TSK!

NO SMOKING!!!!!! NO DRINKING !!! OMG, they claim to want tourists. Maybe Thailand will become like Singapore and place high fines if one allows themsleves to have a rest, a smoke, a drink.

You missed FUN

Singapore gets a lot of tourists but no they dont allow smoking in public places and you cant stagger along a street drunk. If you want a drink then go to a bar or a restaurant, no problem. You feel that is wrong? If so I guess you are one of the people that give all foreigners a bad name

They have smoking boxes in some bars and since when is it illegal to stagger along the street drunk? You can also buy beer from the local 7/11 in the entertainment areas 24/7.

Kurt

bars at my drinking holes are empty now with bar owners asking where are the customers, they have never know it so quiet for number of years.and if these utterly stupid ideas are put into operation, who knows what the future holds.

They are looking for that niche, non-drinking, non-smoking lot that also don't spend money on leasure activities! Could be a new destination for those no spending Mennonites, Hasidic Jews and other ultra-orthadox religions of the world!

A post containing a link to an external site which contained dangerous comments regarding the Royal family has been removed:

1) You will not express disrespect of the King of Thailand or any one member of the Thai royal family, whether living or deceased, nor to criticize the monarchy as an institution.
By law, the Thai Royal Family are above politics. Speculation, comments and discussion of either a political or personal nature are not allowed when discussing HM The King or the Royal family.*
Discussion of the Lese Majeste law or Lese Majeste cases is permitted on the forum, providing no comment or speculation is made referencing the royal family.
To breach these rules may result in immediate ban.
Linking to external sites which break these rules will be treated as if you yourself posted them.

I suspect they mean tourist attractions. I'm all for banning smoking In a Public place. Smokers just don't realise how unpleasant it is having smoke blown in your face while enjoying a beach, food or drink or any activity. They think it's a God given right to do so.

In the early days I used to enjoy relaxing on a beach.

What annoyed me however, was not the minimal amount of smoke coming from a cigarette smoker, who also never blew it in my face, but the sh't coming out of the numerous motor vehicles driving past all day.

Maybe they could ban driving in public places ?

We now have some virtuous ministers that are against alcohol in public. We are back to Thaksin era of no selling of alcohol during school hours at all outlets in the kingdom.

Tourists will not put up with those prohibitions rules and will simply go elsewhere on their next trip.

Why not clean up Thailand which is now becoming a very expensive unhealthy garbage dump, look at the color of the sidewalk compare to Singapore and every step is hazardous.

Wine is now more expensive here than in europe

No drinking and smoking in Thailand A holiday in Thailand hot spots soon it will be as much fun as going to the world cup in Qatar and when your team wins a match and you go out and hit the bars for a very strong coffee to celebrate rather than a right good bevy. Sure the Muslims will love this as they slowly take over Pattaya the new Mecca. I can just see all the drunken sex pats just unpacking their suitcases already the blue flip flops string vest and stained shorts will just stay in the wardrobe a little longer

If I may add, banning drinking and smoking around tourist sites might be a good idea considering a lot of families travel with kids. Also, I'm assuming by tourist sites they are referring to temples, places like nong nooch gardens and NOT Walking street or Koh Larn.