latest requirements to get a landline ?

siam2007

Hi all, it's been nine years since I had to apply for a landline (actually my then landlord did that under her name).

Can anybody tell me what are the requirements / documents needed to apply for a landline as per Nov 2015?

I had a TOT landline but TRUE issued the bill that time. Location is Bangkok.

Long ago I heard you can apply for a landline too as a Farang, but they would charge 6 months deposit of the expected monthly bill. Still true ?

Thanks

If you already have Internet service via a fixed line (aDSL, Cable DOCSIS, Fiber, etc) then your ISP can give you Land Line phone service via VoIP.

Is there an overriding reason why you want a fixed line phone service?

That's interesting. I have an True ADSL line and a phone line (not sure if its via VoIP or what)? I only ever use the ADSL and have no phone connected plugged into it. Each month we get a bill - one for ADSL (True) and one for Phone (TOT). Does this mean the phone is superflous and we can cancel it along with monthly bill of 107THB? I thought we needed both in order to use ADSL, at least that's what True said when we started it a few years ago?

If you already have Internet service via a fixed line (aDSL, Cable DOCSIS, Fiber, etc) then your ISP can give you Land Line phone service via VoIP.

Is there an overriding reason why you want a fixed line phone service?

That's interesting. I have an True ADSL line and a phone line (not sure if its via VoIP or what)? I only ever use the ADSL and have no phone connected plugged into it. Each month we get a bill - one for ADSL (True) and one for Phone (TOT). Does this mean the phone is superflous and we can cancel it along with monthly bill of 107THB? I thought we needed both in order to use ADSL, at least that's what True said when we started it a few years ago?

Yes, mines the same. The TOT bill is for line rental, which you need for adsl internet

I have an True ADSL line and a phone line ... Each month we get a bill - one for ADSL (True) and one for Phone (TOT). Does this mean the phone is superflous and we can cancel it along with monthly bill of 107THB? I thought we needed both in order to use ADSL, at least that's what True said when we started it a few years ago?

Yes, mines the same. The TOT bill is for line rental, which you need for adsl internet

Since TOT and CAT have the monopoly for hard-line phone service in Thailand, you'll find that most 3rd-party aDSL vendors have to 'rent' the wire from TOT and then they pass on the cost to you. Though, interestingly, some ThaiVisa members have posted they don't have this additional charge on their 3BB bill. Who knows what 'arrangements' were made there, or maybe those costs are assumed by 3BB.

aDSL service usually allows plain analog voice phone service and data to co-exist and be carried over the same wire (though at different frequencies). A 'splitter/filter' is used to filter off the 'data' so it isn't heard as noise during a voice call.

VoIP service is where the plain analog voice phone service is 'converted' to digital data packets so it can be sent along with any other Internet Data. You can then use an ATA (Analog Telephone Adapter) connected to your residential home router to convert the service back to POTS (Plain Old Telephone Service) for use with normal phone equipment, or use a computer or smart phone with VoIP software to interact with the VoIP service.

The interesting thing about VoIP service is that, technically, if you used a computer or smartphone with 24/7 Internet Data, then voice calls could be made or accepted anywhere in the world where there was (good) Internet service.

Of coarse none of this answers the original question of the OP as to what 'hoops' one has to jump though in order to get phone service.