KTM announces RC and Duke 250 - Also reduces pricing on 200s/390s

TheRoadWarrior

Im very seriously considering the RC390 now that the price has become reasonable!

will service be any good?

who knows... probably not... its thailand

will they be in stock and ready to purchase?

who knows 5555

but 209k (for the rc390) is WAY better than the crazy pricing they were asking before!

also the new 250cc models are exactly the same everything as the 390 models except with a sleeved down engine... 31hp instead of 44hp, but thats still very very good for a 250

12295284_10153761985856197_2847993244528

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A few months back I rode a couple of hundred km's with a RC 390 and liked it a lot, it looks different then other bikes in it's class, and it ride is very good.

One thing what was a bit annoying was the almost non stop blowing fan, an issue what (after reading some tests around the world) even appears in cooler European countries, not sure it runs that hot or the fan ( termostate) is set to start at a small increase of temp.

This new RC 390 price is really tempting and we might see more on Thai roads,just a bit strange: a price drop from 215K to 209K last time I checked it was 259K, who's the new importer?

I wouldn't be worried about service, it's just a simple single cylinder engine, DIY maintenance is not that hard.

One thing what was a bit annoying was the almost non stop blowing fan, an issue what (after reading some tests around the world) even appears in cooler European countries, not sure it runs that hot or the fan ( termostate) is set to start at a small increase of temp.

yes the 390s seem to have an overheating issue from what ive skimmed on some forums.... i think there are some preventative cures for it though

This new RC 390 price is really tempting and we might see more on Thai roads,just a bit strange: a price drop from 215K to 209K last time I checked it was 259K, who's the new importer?

the graphic has a typo for the previous price... it was 259k before... other dealers using a correct image

12310642_1628266434090825_25034405869198

The 250 has a sleeved down engine from 390?

Who the hell would want that?

Don't need no stinking sleeve, mon.

As Visordown predicted, KTM has revealed 250cc versions of its Duke and RC models, joining a line-up that already includes the 125cc, 200cc and 375cc ‘390’ machines.

We revealed the new bikes’ existence last week, and many of you were a little surprised that the firm would opt to sleeve-down its bigger 375cc ‘390’ engine to create a 250 when there’s already a 200cc version based on the smaller 125cc engine in the single-cylinder range.

The answer lies in Japanese regulations. Over in Japan, bikes above 250cc need to take the viciously expensive shaken test every two years – the equivalent of our MoT but much tougher and costlier. That creates a significant market for bikes just under the 250cc mark, and it’s enough to justify the creation of the 250cc Duke and RC models despite the fact there’s already a 200 in the range.

It’s likely the 250 may also be offered in other countries where licence or tax regulations favour sub-250cc bikes, but don’t expect to see it sold in the UK.

The 250s make 31hp, 13hp less than the 390. The exact capacity is 248.8cc, with a bore and stroke of 72mm x 61mm. Despite having the same bore as the 200, the engine itself is based on the 390 motor, which has different castings. Presumably the 200, which is already based on the smaller 125, couldn’t be stretched to 250cc.

Capacity aside, the RC and Duke models are identical to the existing 390 in every way, with the same chassis and suspension.

A few months back I rode a couple of hundred km's with a RC 390 and liked it a lot, it looks different then other bikes in it's class, and it ride is very good.

I wouldn't be worried about service, it's just a simple single cylinder engine, DIY maintenance is not that hard.

New importer is Vespa

The new importer , or lower import taxes , may have been one reason for this much needed price reduction , but i cant help wondering if its not a result of the much improved competition from Ducati , Benelli and Triumph. Wonder how many customers KTM have lost over this. Perhaps not as many as when they turned down Ewan and Charlie. facepalm.gif

• 7 months later...

250 KTM do it i think for japan market or simular where 250 its step for up taxes or etc.

250 KTM do it i think for japan market or simular where 250 its step for up taxes or etc.

Incorrect about Japan.

The Japanese classes for motorcycle taxation and licensing are 50cc-124cc, 125cc-399cc, 400c+

The tax system and licensing system are the same for both bikes and their owners.

I was there 2 weeks ago. The 250cc version is sold at 184k baht, the 390cc is 196k baht.

Incorrect about Japan.

The Japanese classes for motorcycle taxation and licensing are 50cc-124cc, 125cc-399cc, 400c+

The tax system and licensing system are the same for both bikes and their owners.

I was there 2 weeks ago. The 250cc version is sold at 184k baht, the 390cc is 196k baht.

DELETED

250cc Engine

No physical inspection or tests, ever.

The registration process for a 250cc or under motorcycle is to purchase Jibaiseki hoken. With it you

get a registration sticker for the bike. You can buy more than 1 year at a time and I believe up to 5 years.

The cost is around ¥9,250 for 1 year, ¥14,000 for 2 years ( insert cost for 3yrs & more here )

Nini hoken - this is optional but really as pointed out above, every rider should buy it. Without Nini hoken

you could end up with huge costs if you are involved in an accident. Jibaiseki hoken is limited in how it

is applied and what it can pay out. The rider would be liaible for anything above that limit. Not a good idea to

risk it.

Vehicle Tax ( Jidosha Zei ) - is an annual tax applied at April 1st each year. The tax

SHAKEN

For vehicles larger than 250cc, a biyearly (every other year) inspection must be done. This is called SHAKEN (ŽÔ). The main cost components of shaken is the mandatory insurance (JIBAISEKI HOKEN) and weight tax (JYUURYOUZEI). These, plus a few miscellaneous fees can come to as low as about 35,000yen. However, in order to get the bike to pass the rather picky inspection, a lot of work might be required. Or at least required in the eyes of the bike shop (more work means more yen for them). It seems average costs are about 70,000 yen, but you can probably do it for much less by doing it yourself. See the section on SHAKEN below. Like the mandatory liability insurance, the shaken transfers with a vehicle (and is often a selling point: "comes with shaken good until next January"). Since a 250cc bike is the largest bike that doesn't require this, 250cc is the most popular size.

Tax and some another think as allowed driving different for 125-250 an 250+

Edited by seedy
flaming

DELETED

Again..

In Japan different taxing for less 250 and over 250 cc

So KTM do well job give model with 250..

If you say its incorect please give proof.

other way PLEASE You do not write about what you do not know whether to give people a wonderful forum TV false information.

Edited by seedy
bickering

Actually it's like a MOT, first one isn't due for 3 years, then 2 years again after that. Motorcycle licensing is the main issue in Japan, for above 400cc. It's why you see sleeved down Ninja 650's and Ducati Monsters down to 400cc.

The sleeved down Ninja 650's (down to 399cc) were strongly rumored to be released in Thailand about 3 years ago. Thank God Kawasaki Thailand saw sense. biggrin.png

Actually it's like a MOT, first one isn't due for 3 years, then 2 years again after that. Motorcycle licensing is the main issue in Japan, for above 400cc. It's why you see sleeved down Ninja 650's and Ducati Monsters down to 400cc.

The sleeved down Ninja 650's (down to 399cc) were strongly rumored to be released in Thailand about 3 years ago. Thank God Kawasaki Thailand saw sense. biggrin.png

If you want talk about usability bike can open topic.

But i guess my think about KTM 250 and Japan market it almost true..

Japan market it sweet market for bike industry.. And japanes like good bike and can calculate..

so 250 it good target for KTM..

And it very good came from 390 engine..

PS

Kawa give ninja 300 and in previose 250.. follow money thinks..i still thinks this bike good for beginer start study sport type bike.

but its faar away from sport bike.. and not realy comfort in city not enough for speedway..

250-300 kawa smoked even from duke 200 in traficc bangkok.. duke 200 not far from scooter.

R3 kawa 300 smoked from rc390 in speedway and in mountans..

still think KTM do well job then make 250...

Edited by ardokano

Hmmm.. R3 kawa 300 smoked from rc390 in speedway and in mountains?

Besides the factory supplied tires being upgraded on both the ninja and the R3 they are still pretty much the same bikes they were back in 2015.

Personally, though I don't like the sound of thumpers, there is no way in hell that the R3 or Kawa 300 "smoke the rc390" with exception to driver incompetence..whistling.gif

One downside on the rc390, however, will be the cost of maintenance, aftermarket parts availability, and distance to service center locations. Still, that is very competitive pricing so an absolute consideration.

However, unless I change my mind I'm going for an R3 once the new colors are released next month.

Hmmm.. R3 kawa 300 smoked from rc390 in speedway and in mountains?

Besides the factory supplied tires being upgraded on both the ninja and the R3 they are still pretty much the same bikes they were back in 2015.

Personally, though I don't like the sound of thumpers, there is no way in hell that the R3 or Kawa 300 "smoke the rc390" with exception to driver incompetence..whistling.gif

One downside on the rc390, however, will be the cost of maintenance, aftermarket parts availability, and distance to service center locations. Still, that is very competitive pricing so an absolute consideration.

However, unless I change my mind I'm going for an R3 once the new colors are released next month.

cheesy.gif

exception to driver incompetence.

Yes I am beginner in motoworld.

Sure can say i am incompetence RIDER

But also sure i do not want be driver competence or notthumbsup.gif ... Bike for me its fun..

but back to topic...

you give video..

2.33 - KTM most powerful .... and best for track..( mountans road as trackwink.png )

9.02 ktm ... bigest and faster.. perfomanse right

cheesy.gif

And something more about..

post-219309-0-69391700-1468771849_thumb.

post-219309-0-61424200-1468771864_thumb.

And from some comparison review:

“This thing is going to embarrass some riders on 600s.” Anyone who wants to know how a sportbike should handle can find out by riding an RC390.

As you can see, there are any number of reasons why the KTM wins this comparison. It’s the fastest, best equipped, and the most capable sportbike.

whistling.gif

once the new colors are released next month. "

cheesy.gif

Few my GF buy the car because the color suited to the color of the dress or shoes, bags

You already got blue bags?gigglem.gifwhistling.gif

Edited by ardokano

With ABS as standard, WP USD forks, WP rear shock, Brembo brakes, gear indicator, Pirelli Rosso Corsa tyres as standard, ultra light (30kg lighter than a Ninja 300 and a whopping 55 kg's lighter than a Honda 500X), very quick for it's size (0-100km/h in 5 sec) corners like it's on rails and looks sharper than a John Bonham drum solo - The Duke 390 at 199,000, is a shure fire "game changer" in my book:

post-95864-0-50347800-1468901658_thumb.j

Edited by properperson

With ABS as standard, WP USD forks, WP rear shock, Brembo brakes, gear indicator, Pirelli Rosso Corsa tyres as standard, ultra light (30kg lighter than a Ninja 300 and a whopping 55 kg's lighter than a Honda 500X), very quick for it's size (0-100km/h in 5 sec) corners like it's on rails and looks sharper than a John Bonham drum solo - The Duke 390 at 199,000, is a shure fire "game changer" in my book:

attachicon.gif390 shield 2.jpg

Thats what about i am talking..

cheesy.gif

Few my GF buy the car because the color suited to the color of the dress or shoes, bags

Absolutely, no matter resale will be affected if you go with last years color scheme regardless of when you buy. Actually, I prefer last years colors but that's beside the point. hit-the-fan.gif

Bags for a sports bike? facepalm.gif

The nearest KTM dealership is 120km north of me but just the same I'll have a look before I make up my mind. Still a bit of a ride for a service. wink.png

btw - Thanks for the feed back.dry.png

cheesy.gif

Absolutely, no matter resale will be affected if you go with last years color scheme regardless of when you buy. Actually, I prefer last years colors but that's beside the point. hit-the-fan.gif

Bags for a sports bike? facepalm.gif

The nearest KTM dealership is 120km north of me but just the same I'll have a look before I make up my mind. Still a bit of a ride for a service. wink.png

btw - Thanks for the feed back.dry.png

No ofence.

About color it was joke.

But about smoke not;)

Near 4 sec from 0 to 130 it is a huge its smooooooked.

And 3 sec from 100 to 130 on Thai

highway its even not smoked its not chance to see at day when huge car and evry time speed down - up..

Why you buy bike?

For fun??

RC give much more then R3..

For evry day- DUKE more useful..

And stil smoked in highway..

120 km

Ahh it to small price for better bike;)

I got filling you need more how look bike.. not how to ride..

Please thinks one more time;)

Near me even not have Dealer now.

But I think about DUKE 390 as city bike

PS

Not thinking its can be sport if can smoked from beginer on cruiser;)

But

Yes bags.. backpack ets...

post-219309-0-66249900-1468983995_thumb.post-219309-0-52574500-1468984124_thumb.

;)

Edited by ardokano

attachicon.gif390 shield 2.jpg

Yes - I agree with the game changer comment. Very good news for the market here in LOS, and if it is popular hopefully that will encourage more models and competition.

Off topic, but it's a shame the Duke390 doesn't quite have the specs (or the power) of their EXC350 Enduro which is street legal in many markets (this one with street wheels):

IMG_0351.jpg

Personally, I think a KTM EXC500 sumo would be a great bike for LOS although it is about 150%+ more than the RC390.

Incorrect about Japan.

DELETED

250cc Engine

No physical inspection or tests, ever.

The registration process for a 250cc or under motorcycle is to purchase Jibaiseki hoken. With it you

get a registration sticker for the bike. You can buy more than 1 year at a time and I believe up to 5 years.

The cost is around ¥9,250 for 1 year, ¥14,000 for 2 years ( insert cost for 3yrs & more here )

Nini hoken - this is optional but really as pointed out above, every rider should buy it. Without Nini hoken

you could end up with huge costs if you are involved in an accident. Jibaiseki hoken is limited in how it

is applied and what it can pay out. The rider would be liaible for anything above that limit. Not a good idea to

risk it.

Vehicle Tax ( Jidosha Zei ) - is an annual tax applied at April 1st each year. The tax

SHAKEN

For vehicles larger than 250cc, a biyearly (every other year) inspection must be done. This is called SHAKEN (ŽÔ). The main cost components of shaken is the mandatory insurance (JIBAISEKI HOKEN) and weight tax (JYUURYOUZEI). These, plus a few miscellaneous fees can come to as low as about 35,000yen. However, in order to get the bike to pass the rather picky inspection, a lot of work might be required. Or at least required in the eyes of the bike shop (more work means more yen for them). It seems average costs are about 70,000 yen, but you can probably do it for much less by doing it yourself. See the section on SHAKEN below. Like the mandatory liability insurance, the shaken transfers with a vehicle (and is often a selling point: "comes with shaken good until next January"). Since a 250cc bike is the largest bike that doesn't require this, 250cc is the most popular size.

Tax and some another think as allowed driving different for 125-250 an 250+

What are you on about Ardokano???

Like the previous poster said, Japan is all about 400cc and up bikes for taxes and extra costs.

There is no licence whatsoever for bikes 250cc and up, which leads most motorcyclists to simply choose the biggest bike they like in their licence category. Even if it's 'cheaper' to own a 250cc, I never heard a single comment about anyone buying a 250 because they have no "shaken". I would also argue that 50cc bikes are easily the most popular in terms of volume (just think of all the delivery scooters) because they can be ridden with a valid car licence (form memory?). It's well known that the Japanese regulations created the 400cc category for many bikes such as the CB400, CBR400RR, ZXR400, ZZR400, GSXR400, SR400 et al.

Screen_Shot_2016_07_20_at_22_32_40.png

I have a Japanese <400cc bike and a car licence, but are now expired.

Sorry to go off on a tangent - this thread is about the very nice bang-for-buck factor of all the KTM 200 - 390 bikes here in LOS biggrin.png

What are you on about Ardokano???

Like the previous poster said, Japan is all about 400cc and up bikes for taxes and extra costs.

There is no licence whatsoever for bikes 250cc and up, which leads most motorcyclists to simply choose the biggest bike they like in their licence category. Even if it's 'cheaper' to own a 250cc, I never heard a single comment about anyone buying a 250 because they have no "shaken". I would also argue that 50cc bikes are easily the most popular in terms of volume (just think of all the delivery scooters) because they can be ridden with a valid car licence (form memory?). It's well known that the Japanese regulations created the 400cc category for many bikes such as the CB400, CBR400RR, ZXR400, ZZR400, GSXR400, SR400 et al.

Screen_Shot_2016_07_20_at_22_32_40.png

I have a Japanese <400cc bike and a car licence, but are now expired.

Sorry to go off on a tangent - this thread is about the very nice bang-for-buck factor of all the KTM 200 - 390 bikes here in LOS biggrin.png

please read carful you like what saide DLangblink.png

"The Japanese classes for motorcycle taxation and licensing are 50cc-124cc, 125cc-399cc, 400c+

The tax system and licensing system are the same for both bikes and their owners."

so what i say wrong?

i you " never heard a single comment about anyone buying a 250 because they have no "shaken""

Its not mean tax sistem it SAME..

or you say its same 372cc and less 250 cc?rolleyes.gif

i give proof

and you do not refute the fact that there is a difference?rolleyes.gif

i say In Japan different taxing for less 250 and over 250 cc

is true or not?

Have" shaken"?

DLang say no difference..whistling.gif

wai.gif

againe

KTM i think make 250 cc for Japan or SIMULAR MARCKET WHERE HAVE Tax and some another think as allowed driving different for 125-250 an 250+

where i was wrong?

I was considering buying the 390 Duke.

Unfortunately the amount of complaints regarding overheating in traffic,low speeds,knocked the idea on the head.

Not ideal for the Thai climate,was my conclusion.