Expired 1 year temporary license

Martouf

A friend today went to our local license office to be told that because his Thai license is 1 year out of date he has to do a test / is this correct ?

To me this makes no sense as he has a uk car license and recently many friends have gone to the same office and have got a 2 year temporary no problem, with no test - what difference does it make if you have an expired Thai license !

Did he tell them that he had a Valid UK License. If so then indeed it doesn't make no sense.

Yes he showed them his valid uk license - agree, makes no sense
UK license is not valid any more here since he had a (invalid) Thai license.

Yes, he has to reform the test.

Did he tell them that he had a Valid UK License. If so then indeed it doesn't make no sense.

Why do you say his UK License is not valid ?

I got my Thai license with my European license (no tests to be done) after 4 years (couldn't bothered at first to get one :))

I got my Thai license with my European license (no tests to be done) after 4 years (couldn't bothered at first to get one :))

Because he has a Thai license, albeit invalid.

Obtaining a Thai license under no circumstances invalidates a UK driving license - fact

Completely to the rules.

More than one year expired, make the theory test (which is not so easy without preparation).

http://www.dlt.go.th/th/index.php?option=com_content&id=3471%3Arenew&Itemid=88

Ah ok - thank you

Although what is the difference between a uk license holder going last week and getting 2 year temporary with none of the tests but if you have a Thai license expired more than 12 months requires the written test yet they still have a uk license ?

I think I know the answer - TIT

You are in the records.

Try showing your UK license only and try to get another temporary license and wait what happens.

Preferably at another DLT office.

I don't swear it is impossible.

Fully agree with the records - maybe more chance if you had gotten a new passport since though

But back to their rules - it's still doesn't make sense if you still have another recognised driving license when first time applicants no problem at.

Although that said a Belgian friend of mine went to the same office today and they didn't know where Belgium was and told him he had to do the tests - granted his license wasn't a UK/France photo license, but it still had the EU symbol on it

Just went through this with my son from the USA. His one year Thai motorbike license was expired for over a year. He had to take the written test again, passed, and got his 5 year license. Showing a license from your home country means nothing. The Thai's should not have to learn how to read Driver's Licenses from every country. But they do understand a IDP, {International Drivers Permit}. This will make obtaining a Thai license much easier. I would not fight the system here, anymore than I would fight the system in the states. The employees are just doing their job. They are not going to change the procedures just for you, or for me.

Obtaining a Thai license under no circumstances invalidates a UK driving license - fact

Yes, it does. Obtaining a Thai DL makes your UK license invalid for driving in Thailand. Fact.

Yes, it does. Obtaining a Thai DL makes your UK license invalid for driving in Thailand. Fact.

Ok but when you originally commented you just said invalid as opposed to invalid to drive in Thailand

If someone would apply again, which test do they need to do to get a new Thai license.

Is that a question?

Answers are given on the DLT site:

Up to one year no problem.

One to three years: theory test ("written": at the computerized terminal).

Over three years: both theory and driving test.

If someone would apply again, which test do they need to do to get a new Thai license.

Is that a question?

Answers are given on the DLT site:

Up to one year no problem.

One to three years: theory test ("written": at the computerized terminal).

Over three years: both theory and driving test.

Just that was a question, sorry I forgot the ? but I thought the Multiple Choice below made it clear

Ps: Thanks for the answer

I was told at Ubon office, ANYONE, Thai or farang who's license has expired more than a year must start from the beginning. A new directive from the new government..

Everything is possible and the Thai internet is not the most up-to-date source.

But as usual: I don't know any other source. Lets see.

Similar to the rumor (which it is to me) that from Jan 1 the theory test would be expanded to 100 questions.

This I doubt. I have searched through misc. sources (also in Thai) to no avail.

Both measures would do close to nothing to improve the security on the streets.

Ok but when you originally commented you just said invalid as opposed to invalid to drive in Thailand

Yes, sorry about that, but since this is a Thai forum I presumed that to be clear and very logical.

But you're right, it is perfectly legal and ok to have 2 licenses. But if one is invalid for whatever reason (not renewed, invalid after traffic violations, etc.), it is illegal to continue driving on the other license.

Showing a license from your home country means nothing. The Thai's should not have to learn how to read Driver's Licenses from every country.

So the Thais who work at the DLT centres shouldn't have to learn how to do their jobs? Par for the course here I suppose.

Don't think their job involve learning every language to read a farangs license details..

Euro licences are all the same, aren't they? They have little pictures on for the linguistically challenged.

Showing a license from your home country means nothing. The Thai's should not have to learn how to read Driver's Licenses from every country.

So the Thais who work at the DLT centres shouldn't have to learn how to do their jobs? Par for the course here I suppose.

Don't think their job involve learning every language to read a farangs license details..

Euro licences are all the same, aren't they? They have little pictures on for the linguistically challenged.

No idea if they're all the same.

Mine has little pictures for the categories I can drive, general information like names, place etc. are in Dutch. How about yours?

Mine has little pictures for the categories I can drive, general information like names, place etc. are in Dutch. How about yours?

Same.

The DLT looked at the little pictures and issued me with 2 licenses.

Same.

The DLT looked at the little pictures and issued me with 2 licenses.

Same, so also in Dutch?

Do Dutch pictures differ from English ones?

OK, foes it sag ' date of issue' or ' datum van uitgifte'? Pictures may be the same, text isn't

I really do understand dlt's don't understand all information on the EU licenses in the home languages. European licenses are not all the same.

Archived