Visa Extension by Marriage

Valentine

Not much resposne here Val .... I was hoping for an update as I will be renewing my marriage extension later this month.

Not sure if you have a WP, if so then the company paperwork is quite heavy, and each year depends on the processing officer.

If no WP then 400,000 baht in a Thai bank with day before letter from the bank.

And don't forget recent letter from mayor's office that your marriage paper is still valid.

2 copies of all papers, your passport, wife's ID and tabian baan, marriage paper, photo of the happy couple in front of communal home with address number in the shot.

Not much resposne here Val .... I was hoping for an update as I will be renewing my marriage extension later this month.

Not sure if you have a WP, if so then the company paperwork is quite heavy, and each year depends on the processing officer.

If no WP then 400,000 baht in a Thai bank with day before letter from the bank.

And don't forget recent letter from mayor's office that your marriage paper is still valid.

2 copies of all papers, your passport, wife's ID and tabian baan, marriage paper, photo of the happy couple in front of communal home with address number in the shot.

Not much changed compared to last year.

- Just make sure that the Koror 2 is not older then 30 days.(new rule)

- Also new is the signed and stamped bank transaction overview together with the bank letter. (if applicable)

- Make sure that you did the address registration before filing the application for extension.

Besides this the normal paperwork as last year.

• 3 weeks later...

Rolled in this morning with my wife just before 08.30. Not many waiting, maybe about 15 folks.

Door open exactly 08.30, only the one volunteer screening the paperwork. At least 6 officers idling at their desks waiting for the applicants to get filtered through. Many did not make a wait number, but must admit that some applicants had not obtained and completed the appropriate form. Patient volunteer fills in forms while we all wait (and fume).

So I get number 6 by 09.00 and straight to an officer. All seems to be going well, but the happy couple photo is not accepted, needs to be the house number displayed in the photo. Ok my bad but previous photos without number always accepted. Then the house location map not accepted - for the past 10 years I have used a scan of a tourist map edited to show our house location - not this year - must be a hand drawn map. So that's it and out the door by 09.10 to drive back home to take house photos and draw a map.

Back for the door open at 13.00, very light queue (maybe 6 folks) - no matter as we go straight to officer (they are sitting doing nothing waiting for volunteer to check paperwork). All goes well, he does not even glance at the new photos and map, stamp stamp stamp, pay the 1,900 baht fee, he hands the passport to the lady doing the house registration check - all stop. I am not showing on Immigration database as staying at our home. Now I know I registered myself as a guest with our company. So it's off downstairs for my wife (the housemaster) to register me - very very busy down there. Need more copies (now 3 baht a pop) of company papers to complete the registration. I let the officer know our company Immigration number and get an inside look into the database (and save my wife being fined 2,000 baht fine for late registration)- I find the my last place of registration was a resort up in Chiang Mai we stayed at a few months ago. But I am sure I registered back home when we got back (mind you the Immigration online registration system is not easy). Let this be a definitive lesson to those that say you don't need to register ever again in your normal place of residence even if you stay somewhere else on a short break.

Back upstairs again by 14.15. Most officers sitting doing nothing, hardly any applicants. Officer checks everything, all Ok. Go to seating and wait. 15.15 rolls round, called to a desk to have a computer photo taken (that's new). Wait again - 15.45, called by the new lady captain. Not happy with the way I copied my tax receipts - need to redo. Plus I need to show that I have applied for a Work Permit at the labour office. This is a bit of a chicken and egg situation as I need to show the Labour Office I have applied for the next year's extension. So I usually do the extension thing first, get the 30 day waiting stamp, and get round to the Labour Office for a WP renewal.

Drove home fuming in the Chaofa rush traffic. Start again at 08.00 tomorrow - Christmas day - Yo Ho Ho

Edited by LivinginKata

Just to continue with my little rant - now that I have completed making all the copies that I can think of for tomorrows foray into bureaucracy - Labour Office and Immigration.

I have to wonder about the function of the foreign volunteer, He sits there and is the lone point of contact. I have no doubt he does the best he can, but why should he have to fill in the TM form for applicants ? While the paid immigration officials sit about waiting. I had a go at trying to go straight to an officer. He rudely sent me back to get a queue number from the lone farang volunteer.

A very old guy in crutches 3 in front of me presented his paperwork to volunteer, no application form, volunteer fills in the details and passes him on to officer for a retirement visa/extension based on money in bank. Officer immediately sees the old guy has no bank letter and publicly berates the volunteer for no letter. Old guy says he brought his bank books to show money, officer tells him he needs bank letter and shows him the door, old guy very confused.

The wonderful world of Phuket Immigration ...

Edited by LivinginKata

^^^get a retirement visa. Less problems, but still some. You don't need a picture with your money. (sarcasm)

Cannot go the retirement route. I am working in the company business. To be legal I need a Work Permit, Each year I think about going the retirement route, each year I bottle out and get a WP renewal (16 years now). And go the married man route with all all hassles of showing all the company papers, taxes paid, etc etc. Nightmare ...

Retire young man. Makes life easier.

The funny thing is that 13 years ago I turned up at Immigration with wife for marriage visa and back then I had to show 200,000 baht in bank. Officer noticed I had over 400,000 baht in the bank and strongly suggested I just get the retirement extension, so much easier for him. I agreed and did not mention I had a WP. I continued to apply for the retirement extension for years, and applying for a WP each year.

Then one year they introduced the 3 month seeding time for the money and I had not planned for that, so when I turned up for my usual retirement deal, the officer knocked me back as no 3 month seeding. I asked what should I do, he just told me to leave Thailand (just as blunt as that), I mentioned I had a Thai wife, he told me to bring her to office to get an emergency 30 day extension, then it all came out that I had a WP, WOW much loss of face to the officers. Since then I do the married guy with WP.

Edited by LivinginKata

^^^get a retirement visa. Less problems, but still some. You don't need a picture with your money. (sarcasm)

Cannot go the retirement route. I am working in the company business. To be legal I need a Work Permit, Each year I think about going the retirement route, each year I bottle out and get a WP renewal (16 years now). And go the married man route with all all hassles of showing all the company papers, taxes paid, etc etc. Nightmare ...

The month when we have to renew our visas has always been pretty stressful month. I think all the expats I know tend to get really cranky during this time.

You are old enough to get a retirement visa, so go for it, if it's at all possible in your situation. Do the work in background, while letting others to do the daily routines.

Any business or WP based visa is too big hassle here for small players. At least for the people who would simply like to do the work, without extra payouts.

<snip>

You are old enough to get a retirement visa, so go for it, if it's at all possible in your situation. Do the work in background, while letting others to do the daily ro

I'm too well known in our neck of the wood and far too many nasty neighbours would shop me to Immigration in a NY minute.

<snip>

You are old enough to get a retirement visa, so go for it, if it's at all possible in your situation. Do the work in background, while letting others to do the daily ro

I'm too well known in our neck of the wood and far too many nasty neighbours would shop me to Immigration in a NY minute.

That is far too British language for me to even try to decode it.

LIK's immigration christmas presents were the reasons for me to change back years ago to the non'o'multiple route. Don't had the nerves to be asked for a pregnancy test from my gardener.

I always travel a lot so it's the better way for me. For the last time getting a visa i needed only incredibly 5min till exited the consulate with a new visa.

So now the guys in Phuket Immigration Office see my lovely face only every 6 years when i have to do the CR for DL.

Best extension ever i had 12 years ago in Phang Nga, so easy relaxed and friendly!

Just to round off my tale of woe - wife and me up and away by 08.00, arrive Labour Office 08.30 (roads very quite)- present my WP application form and supporting paperwork. Ladies in the office could not be any nicer, a pleasure to deal with (what a difference from those dour Immigration guys) . Application accepted, pay 100 baht application fee, and out the door by 08.50 with receipt to prove to Immigration that WP is being applied for.

Roll into Immigration 09.00, make 2 copies of Work Permit application receipt. Upstairs almost empty, I counted about 5 foreigners - straight to officer - present receipts and 'improved' tax paid copies. All Ok stamp stamp stamp by 09.10 - wait for captain's approval. Oh dear no sign of captain at desk. Turns up at 09.25. Get my passport back (what a relief) at 09.45 with 30 day waiting stamp.

Now it's a much Merrier Christmas for me ...

Edited by LivinginKata

I have a married visa. Went for 90 day extension at Phuket Town Immigration this morning.

In and out and sorted within 10 minutes. Pleasant, polite staff.

What a refreshing change, may it continue.

Now I can focus on the festivities. guitar.gifviolin.gifdrunk.gif

Yuletide Greetings all...

Edited by Chainsaw

I have a married visa. Went for 90 day extension at Phuket Town Immigration this morning.

What 90 day extension?

There is no such thing.

What 90 day extension?

There is no such thing.

I assume the poster means a 90 day report - easy peasy - I do online.

No comparison to a one year marriage extension in person.

90 day reports online do not work for the majority.

I go in person. No big deal really.

A 90 day report has nothing to do with your Visa or permission to stay.

Totally different things.

What a terrible person I am for writing the wrong word. I know now that I should have said 'report'. Hope it didn't spoil your Xmas. tongue.png

What a terrible person I am for writing the wrong word. I know now that I should have said 'report'. Hope it didn't spoil your Xmas. tongue.png

Maybe you should actually understand what you have in your passport.

It will make your stay here easier.

Perhaps, being a non Phuket person and not knowing the poster, maybe you should just let the semantics go and perhaps instead enjoy........Whatever it is you do to enjoy life.

LIK's immigration christmas presents were the reasons for me to change back years ago to the non'o'multiple route. Don't had the nerves to be asked for a pregnancy test from my gardener.

I always travel a lot so it's the better way for me. For the last time getting a visa i needed only incredibly 5min till exited the consulate with a new visa.

So now the guys in Phuket Immigration Office see my lovely face only every 6 years when i have to do the CR for DL.

Best extension ever i had 12 years ago in Phang Nga, so easy relaxed and friendly!

Where do you get your multiple non-O? Savannakhet?

Where do you get your multiple non-O? Savannakhet?

Stuttgart. Total time inside consulate was 5 min to get a new visa. Fastest ever and this way i had more time for the Mercedes Museum. Next time i will get a new one in Seoul.

<snip> ... Then the house location map not accepted - for the past 10 years I have used a scan of a tourist map edited to show our house location - not this year - must be a hand drawn map. So that's it and out the door by 09.10 to drive back home to take house photos and draw a map. <snip>

Same thing happened to me when doing last year's married guy extension. I had a very nice map printed from Google Maps, showing the exact location of our house. No good, I was told - it has to be hand-drawn. OK, so I submit a map so carefully drawn that even a blind man could find our house. The day of the "home visit" (my 1st marriage extension), the IO calls and says to come meet him in the center of town, and he'll follow me back to the house. Didn't even want to look at the map.

Aside from photos that weren't acceptable, the IO also had an issue with the bank information I submitted. I provided the bank letter, bank book and copies, but was unaware of the new requirement of providing a 3 month bank statement instead of the bank book and copies. My bad - there was even a sign at the office that said you need a statement, and not the bank book. OK, so off to the bank to get a certified statement. Make copies of the statement, throw away the unneeded bank book copies and re-submit all of the paperwork. Now the IO says he wants to see the bank book and copies. Huh? - earlier that morning he said he wanted a statement, and not the bank book.

I'm due for my next extension in a couple of months. If it turns out to be more trouble than its worth, I might just revert back to retirement extensions. The only reason for the marriage extension is that I thought I might want to get a WP some day.

<snip>

OK, so off to the bank to get a certified statement. Make copies of the statement, throw away the unneeded bank book copies and re-submit all of the paperwork. Now the IO says he wants to see the bank book and copies. Huh? - earlier that morning he said he wanted a statement, and not the bank book.

I'm due for my next extension in a couple of months. If it turns out to be more trouble than its worth, I might just revert back to retirement extensions. The only reason for the marriage extension is that I thought I might want to get a WP some day.

I think we all know that they make it up as they go along - not sure if it's incompetence or just trying to screw us up - I suspect the latter.

I have learned to copy every page in my passport and every company paper etc etc. They throw back copies they don't want, but I know that if I had not brought them then they would would copies. Even then they some times don't like the way copies are mad, not straight enough, orientation, blah blah.

Dave, it's no problem to go from retirement extension back to married extension with WP - I have done that.

I've been here for 15 years Mr Pedantic, and it's been wonderful so far.

Me writing 'extension' instead of 'report' obviously upset you a lot. Have you always been this sensitive? tongue.png

<snip>

OK, so off to the bank to get a certified statement. Make copies of the statement, throw away the unneeded bank book copies and re-submit all of the paperwork. Now the IO says he wants to see the bank book and copies. Huh? - earlier that morning he said he wanted a statement, and not the bank book.

I think we all know that they make it up as they go along - not sure if it's incompetence or just trying to screw us up - I suspect the latter.

I have learned to copy every page in my passport and every company paper etc etc. They throw back copies they don't want, but I know that if I had not brought them then they would would copies. Even then they some times don't like the way copies are mad, not straight enough, orientation, blah blah.

Dave, it's no problem to go from retirement extension back to married extension with WP - I have done that.

Just arrive with 2 piles, one with 400 papers that "could" be useful

and one with everything actually required

Then ask the officer: You want to find everything you need in the 400 pages pile or you want to accept what is actually required?

Just arrive with 2 piles, one with 400 papers that "could" be useful

and one with everything actually required

Then ask the officer: You want to find everything you need in the 400 pages pile or you want to accept what is actually required?

Best of luck if you take that attitude with Immigration ... best to know your place and accept ..