Transport to Koh Chang

MZurf

I know this has been discussed before but thought I should try to get the latest and greatest;

Friends are going from Pattaya to Koh Chang next week and they are looking for a regular bus or minibus service to take them there safely and in comfort. Any suggestions?

I went to the 35 group and spoke to a lady behind the counter, outlining my requirements (safety and comfort). I asked her if all her drivers are safe or if there are some that drive ting-tong. She replied in all honesty that same are safe but you have also some that aren't. I then asked her why she did not get rid of the unsafe drivers, at which point she started laughing heartily like I had told a great joke. At that point I left.

So my question still remain unanswered unfortunately.

I went to the 35 group and spoke to a lady behind the counter, outlining my requirements (safety and comfort). I asked her if all her drivers are safe or if there are some that drive ting-tong. She replied in all honesty that same are safe but you have also some that aren't. I then asked her why she did not get rid of the unsafe drivers, at which point she started laughing heartily like I had told a great joke. At that point I left.

So my question still remain unanswered unfortunately.

Understood, but IMO if you want a 100% safety record, maybe you should hire a car and drive yourself wai.gif

Good luck in your search

Edited by MJCM

IMHO after a few trips on both, I prefer the big A/C buses and I reckon they're safer.

I would also like to go to KC next month so if anyone knows which terminal the bus leaves from, then it would help. I believe that the BKK to Trat bus picks up passengers on the way ?

IMHO after a few trips on both, I prefer the big A/C buses and I reckon they're safer.

I would also like to go to KC next month so if anyone knows which terminal the bus leaves from, then it would help. I believe that the BKK to Trat bus picks up passengers on the way ?

Ekkamai

I had a very good experience back in September with a minibus service here on the Darkside.

The trip took 3.5 hours straight to the Centrepoint Ferry pier. Can't remember the price but think it was 300 baht in a very decent bus. No stopping and the driver went at safe speeds.

I took another service from the hotel on Koh Chang but that was a big mistake. Took almost 6 hours with stops and breaks. I should have gone back with the same company, which has an office just outside the Centrepoint pier entrance on the mainland.

The shop is behind the Numchai appliance store on Sukhumvit and Nern Pub Wan. Enter the Numchai driveway, go past it to the Tesco Lotus Express store. Directly across from the Tesco is a Faschino drug store. The minibus service is just to the right, when facing the Faschino.

• 3 weeks later...

I had a very good experience back in September with a minibus service here on the Darkside.

The trip took 3.5 hours straight to the Centrepoint Ferry pier. Can't remember the price but think it was 300 baht in a very decent bus. No stopping and the driver went at safe speeds.

I took another service from the hotel on Koh Chang but that was a big mistake. Took almost 6 hours with stops and breaks. I should have gone back with the same company, which has an office just outside the Centrepoint pier entrance on the mainland.

The shop is behind the Numchai appliance store on Sukhumvit and Nern Pub Wan. Enter the Numchai driveway, go past it to the Tesco Lotus Express store. Directly across from the Tesco is a Faschino drug store. The minibus service is just to the right, when facing the Faschino.

you were just lucky because so many minibus drivers are lunatics tailgating the vehicle in front while speeding and simultaneously speaking on their mobile phone. if the vehicle in front of the needed to stop suddenly the drivers that behave this way wouldn't stand a chance of pulling up safely in sufficient time.

it's not so convenient perhaps but I figure ( based on photographs of those minibuses and have been involved in smash ups)I have a better chance of survival travelling by big bus.

Edited by Asiantravel

you will need a bus going to Trat, and then transfer from there.

not sure if one goes through pattaya/sattahip/rayong to Trat

There used to be three every morning at hourly intervals and the first one would pass through pattaya from Bangkok . Now there is the only one every day between 5:30 AM to 6 AM. So you have to stand on Sukhumvit and one spot is near the corner of Sukhumvit and Pattaya Klang just outside the service station.

It's a grey and orange coloured bus and it has 99 on the windscreen.

if you missed that bus you would have to go on a minivan and there are plenty of them but rather you than me!

Edited by Asiantravel

A friend of mine went to Koh Chang by minibus last week. Took him directly to his resort on Koh Chang. Cost was 850 baht. Booked at Travel Agency (sorry, don't know name) on 3rd road just past Pattaya Tai on left hand side going north, just before the first small soi.

You can call the 35 Group directly and save the booking fee. 084-9464447 They picked me up at my hotel near Walking Street, transferred vehicles, and they took me directly to Emerald Cove Resort on Koh Chang. It was either 550 or 650 baht, can't recall which.

You can call the 35 Group directly and save the booking fee. 084-9464447 They picked me up at my hotel near Walking Street, transferred vehicles, and they took me directly to Emerald Cove Resort on Koh Chang. It was either 550 or 650 baht, can't recall which.

I think you should read post #3 about what the OP has to say about 35 group whistling.gif

I think you should read post #3 about what the OP has to say about 35 group whistling.gif

I've made 16 visits to Koh Chang using every available transport method, including flying Bangkok Air. If you take the public bus they let you off 15 km before Trat where you'll have to wait awhile before a songthaew comes to take you to the pier. If you hire a taxi, the driver may drop you at the pier and refuse to take his vehicle on the ferry. This has happened to me, after I originally had assurances that I would be taken to my resort. (I deducted 300 baht from his fee). If you rent a vehicle, make sure it has enough horsepower to climb the steep hills and that the driver is comfortable navigating S-turns up steep inclines. The 35 Group is as safe and as comfortable as any transport method and the best way to go IMHO.

I've made 16 visits to Koh Chang using every available transport method, including flying Bangkok Air. If you take the public bus they let you off 15 km before Trat where you'll have to wait awhile before a songthaew comes to take you to the pier. If you hire a taxi, the driver may drop you at the pier and refuse to take his vehicle on the ferry. This has happened to me, after I originally had assurances that I would be taken to my resort. (I deducted 300 baht from his fee). If you rent a vehicle, make sure it has enough horsepower to climb the steep hills and that the driver is comfortable navigating S-turns up steep inclines. The 35 Group is as safe and as comfortable as any transport method and the best way to go IMHO.

I also recommended the OP the 35 Group (see Post #2), but the OP seems to be very very scared at using Van's for transport so I think it's better for him to use Private Transport (rent car see Post #4)

But I think the OP has already left the thread and his friends already found their way (or not) to Koh Chang

Edited by MJCM

I also recommended the OP the 35 Group (see Post #2), but the OP seems to be very very scared at using Van's for transport so I think it's better for him to use Private Transport (rent car see Post #4)

But I think the OP has already left the thread and his friends already found their way (or not) to Koh Chang

" the OP seems to be very very scared at using Van's for transport "

I am too since I read the statistics since 2012 until the most recent one being in Chonburi on 8th December 2015

http://driving-in-thailand.com/accidents-involving-minivans/

Edited by Asiantravel

• 10 months later...