Drunk Driver Kills Cop by Crashing into a Motorbike at a Red Light in Chiang Mai

webfact

Drunk Driver Kills Cop by Crashing into a Motorbike at a Red Light
by CityNews

CityNews – At around 4am on December 1, a car driven by a drunk man crashed into a police man’s motorcycle stopped at a red light at the Khuang Singh intersection, resulting in fatal injuries.

Chang Phuek police were called to the scene, where the body of Police Senior Sergeant Major Sompet Somboon, 48, was found next to his motorcycle laying on the road.

Around 30 metres away from where the body of the police man was found, the police found a car with two men inside.

The police asked the two men to get out of the car. They first refused, but after some time and a small fight with the suspects, the police finally arrested both men. They were later identified as 29-year-old Chanin Noimatuan from Lampang, and 30-year-old Panchit Chainuwat of Muang Chiang Mai’s Chang Phuek sub-district.

Chanin, the driver, was found to be around three times over the legal drink drive limit at 154 milligrams.

Meanwhile, the police found Ice and equipment used to take drugs on Panchit, the passanger.

Full story: http://www.chiangmaicitylife.com/news/drunk-driver-kills-cop-by-crashing-into-a-motorbike-at-a-red-light/

cn.png
-- Chiang City News 2015-12-02

From all that happens on the roads I think it is a pretty good bet that we all want the police to come down hard on drunk driving and all other driving offences.

But where are the road stuff BiB...?

It would get very interesting if the police were able to acquire the equipment for random breath tests, and organise accordingly.

While they regularly check registrations on vehicles at roadblocks, I've yet to see any police with a hand held breathalyser.

I suppose it was his own fault for stopping at a red light. If his colleagues had taken their job seriously all year round and enforced traffic laws (God forbid) this may never have happened. All i can say is mai pen rai.

Sad but true. If the police would actually enforce driving laws and actively pursue bad drivers with fines and/or jail time instead of just occasionally setting up stops for tea money, then incidents like this might, and hopefully would, be reduced or prevented.

I suppose it was his own fault for stopping at a red light. If his colleagues had taken their job seriously all year round and enforced traffic laws (God forbid) this may never have happened. All i can say is mai pen rai.

That's a serious contender for the ugliest, nastiest most worthless comment of the year.

Certainly hope I never meet you in the flesh.................

That's a serious contender for the ugliest, nastiest most worthless comment of the year.

But it's true. Traffic laws are not enforced, except for check points to bully the weakest. You reap what you sow.

From all that happens on the roads I think it is a pretty good bet that we all want the police to come down hard on drunk driving and all other driving offences.

But where are the road stuff BiB...?

If they are having a massive check in the Pattaya area for the guys who killed th Hell's Angel then maybe, just maybe, things are starting to look up. If not we can always hope they do

Sad but true. If the police would actually enforce driving laws and actively pursue bad drivers with fines and/or jail time instead of just occasionally setting up stops for tea money, then incidents like this might, and hopefully would, be reduced or prevented.

Thai drivers need to shoulder the full weight of responsibility of those breaking the law, no matter if it is enforced or not, otherwise why have any road laws? They know the score. The police have taken a big hit here already, losing one of their senior staff, who worked two jobs. The driver in this case appears to be even more culpable, given that he’s living in New Zealand where traffic laws are strictly enforced and DUI offences carry heavy penalties.

but it was from the heart. It is also true, mai pen rai is their attitude and it comes back to bite them. This accident wont change a thing, it will happen time and time again until they start doing their job of enforcing the law instead of scamming.

Tough - but true Soulbundy - I gotta agree.

I spent over a year driving own car in CM and saw driving habits and behaviour worse than anywhere else I have driven in Thailand - and that includes the 'road of death' between Rayong and Pattaya. One of the main reasons is the complete lack of policing in CM. I saw more policework on the roads in 3 days at Ubon Ratchthani recently, than I saw in a whole year in CM. And before anyone doubts that policing is THE issue to get it better in CM (and elsewhere), when I was in Ubon I noticed that most bike riders wear helmets - when I asked why (compared to CM etc.) I was told 'Porice'.

Sure enough - very next day I saw a Policeman pulling over any bike rider without a helmet and waving the others through - AND same day I saw another booking a pickup truck for blocking a main road (triple parked). Hey - maybe they just took some 'tea money' - but the point is that the Polcie were out and about and doing something - and as a result I noticed that the drivers in Ubon were (as a group) far better than in CM (and most bike riders had helmets).

I can remember earlier in the year that many of the senior police in CM were 're-assigned' - nothing changed - and probably nothing ever will - and more people will die on CM roads until it does.There is no re-education program or campaign that will work here - TIT. If there is anything good that comes about from this unfortunate death, may it be an increased Police presence on the CM roads doing their job.

And if I may add another point while I am warmed up............

I like the fact that I can go and have a drink and drive home here - without feeling like a criminal. I for one do not miss all the bullshit about speeding and drinking that has now dominated the Nanny State I call home. Hopefully, Thailand never goes that far that a person can break into your house and gets a warning (and the stolen property is never recovered), and on the way back to the home that was being robbed, you are breathalysed and get a huge fine and suspended from driving for 3 months for having a few drinks (not speeding, no accident, just unlucky). Here in Thailand there is a much better 'balance' between things - if you have a few drinks and drink carefully there is no problem. BUT if you have an accident you are up sheeiite creek - it is all up to you. Having said that, what IS needed is policing of the small appendage idiots who have a few beers and think they are both Fangio and Shumacher - in their pickup truck or 4WD facepalm.gif

Yes, it's another sad story, and policing in Thailand is a joke. But how many TV members, especially those of us living in the sticks, can honestly say that they have never driven under the influence, given the almost zero enforcement?

I have never driven under the influence of alcohol or drugs, in the States, here in Thailand or any other country. Living in the sticks (as you refer to it) and lack of law enforcement doesn't give you any justification, to drive any vehicle, while under the influence. I did not come to Thailand, so I could get drunk, drive a vehicle, then kill someone else, my family or myself. I came to live. This is response to BB24's second post. So you like to be able to have a drink, drive the car home and not feel like a criminal. Well, I have news for you. Your feelings won't matter, when alcohol impairs your driving and someone dies. Too many times have I heard a driver, at an accident scene say he wasn't drunk, because he only had 2-3 beers. Also from all the misspelled words in your posts, I think you have had your limit.

Edited by rapom

Around 30 metres away from where the body of the police man was found, the police found a car with two men inside.

Jeez, and this time they did not run away....Something changes in LOS ???? Christmas?

They couldnt they were too drunk to run

Jeez, and this time they did not run away....Something changes in LOS ???? Christmas?

They couldnt they were too drunk to run
Stoned.

Started a fight, probably not knowing with whom or why.

And if I may add another point while I am warmed up............

I like the fact that I can go and have a drink and drive home here - without feeling like a criminal. I for one do not miss all the bullshit about speeding and drinking that has now dominated the Nanny State I call home. Hopefully, Thailand never goes that far that a person can break into your house and gets a warning (and the stolen property is never recovered), and on the way back to the home that was being robbed, you are breathalysed and get a huge fine and suspended from driving for 3 months for having a few drinks (not speeding, no accident, just unlucky). Here in Thailand there is a much better 'balance' between things - if you have a few drinks and drink carefully there is no problem. BUT if you have an accident you are up sheeiite creek - it is all up to you. Having said that, what IS needed is policing of the small appendage idiots who have a few beers and think they are both Fangio and Shumacher - in their pickup truck or 4WD facepalm.gif

I understand your point, but do not agree. It is a proven fact that alcohol impares your reflexes & the more you drink the worse it gets. That is the only reason limits are set & you should not drive. Reaction time gets slower resulting in accidents. People get braver after drinking, yes we all become great lovers, fighters & of cause F1 drivers. When this happens we no longer take into consideration the fact that other people are on the roads & what we do is affecting them. When you know someone who has been killed or injured by a drunk driver then it may change your opinion. Next time you go out drinking have a designated driver or catch a taxi, that way we can be safe on the roads.