500 more tuk-tuk taxis to ply Bangkok streets next year

webfact

500 more tuk-tuk taxis to ply Bangkok streets next year

38-wpcf_728x409.jpg

BANGKOK: -- More than 500 new tuk-tuk taxis will ply the streets of Bangkok next year after the Department of Land Transport opens registration of this popular motor tricycle taxis beginning December 1-30.

The decision to allow this 3-wheel taxis was based on appeal from tourists wanting to experience this type of vehicle in visiting and sighting seeing the capital.

It also aims to generate income for drivers and enable them to own the vehicle instead of renting.

But Department of Land Transport director general Sanit Phromvong said no more than 565 new tuk-tuk taxis would be allowed to register in Bangkok.

Registration began from December 1 and will last on December 30.

He said the department will announce names of qualified applicants for the registration on January 14, and 20 other reserved applicants on January 26.

Successful applicants must register their vehicles and pay annual tax within July 17 next year. Those failing to meet the process will be considered abandoning their rights and the department will transfer them to those on the reserved list.

He said qualified applicants must have a tuk-tuk driving licence, are natives of Bangkok or adjacent provinces like Nakhon Pathom, Nonthaburi, Pathum Thani, Samut Prakan and Samut Sakhon, and have not owned a tuk-tuk for 180 days or more.

At present, there are more than 9,000 tuk-tuk taxis registered in Bangkok.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/500-more-tuk-tuk-taxis-to-ply-bangkok-streets-next-year

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-12-02

In theory, this is a good idea. Tuk Tuks are small and (the newer ones) are very efficient. Unfortunately the lunatic drivers who think Bangkok is their own personal grand prix course negate any benefits from the aforementioned. Not to mention scams and touting 'samtam' mentions above.

Yes, I know they are an institution but….

They are very noisy.

Foul smelling.

No safety for the occupants in a crash.

No Meters so the drivers can ask MORE than a metered Taxi!

They are no quicker in heavy traffic than a Taxi….unlike Motorbike Taxis.

I don't think Bangkok needs more of these foul smelling, unsafe, noisy fair ground units!

Should use the new e-versions; not the old polluting nasty ones.

you could make 2 stroke or 4 stroke engine that is much cleaner than this one as well.

To get an engine like the existing one, you need a joint venture of Thai technician and Russian factory. As small engines are a standard product these days, it will be very difficult to find someone who can produce such a dirt machine.

Yes, I know they are an institution but….

They are very noisy.

Foul smelling.

No safety for the occupants in a crash.

No Meters so the drivers can ask MORE than a metered Taxi!

They are no quicker in heavy traffic than a Taxi….unlike Motorbike Taxis.

I don't think Bangkok needs more of these foul smelling, unsafe, noisy fair ground units!

You could make them silent and clean. A Tuktuk-o-meter wouldn't be a problem as well.

you could make 2 stroke or 4 stroke engine that is much cleaner than this one as well.

To get an engine like the existing one, you need a joint venture of Thai technician and Russian factory. As small engines are a standard product these days, it will be very difficult to find someone who can produce such a dirt machine.

Russia??

Have a closer look at the current (pun intended) options

eg:

http://www.thailandtuktuk.net/thailand-electric-tuktuk-.htm

The decision … was based on appeal from tourists wanting to experience this type of vehicle. What rot.

In that case, potential applicants should be able to speak a foreign language, and know which attractions are open (rather than the ones that are closed)!

Russia??

eg:

Wow they found a solution that is even worse than the existing one....I wouldn't have thought that this is possible.

Maximum speed 50km/h.....So the real max will be 40 as there is long enough street to reach the max.

80 km. So real life in Bangkok is 40 and than hours of charging.

4.7 HP.....That is about what my motorbike had when I was a child.

Weight of this steel construction not mentioned for good reason.

That specs are complete rubbish. Not useful only blocks the cars.

And I was hoping they would get rid of the ones on the road already. As stated no faster than a taxi and always trying to overcharge. Aircon taxi any day.

The few times I went it was way faster than a taxi. But didn't exactly follow the regulations.

Overcharge: 200% agree

Russia??

eg:

Wow they found a solution that is even worse than the existing one....I wouldn't have thought that this is possible.

Maximum speed 50km/h.....So the real max will be 40 as there is long enough street to reach the max.

80 km. So real life in Bangkok is 40 and than hours of charging.

4.7 HP.....That is about what my motorbike had when I was a child.

Weight of this steel construction not mentioned for good reason.

That specs are complete rubbish. Not useful only blocks the cars.

"eg" means example. There is more than one option. Have a look.

What do you guys know, nothing. Far and away most tuktuks are ngv.

Tuktuks ironically are not for tourists or most typical transport by Thais. They are working vehicles for hauling goods.

The dodgers hanging out in tourist zones give the drivers a bad rap.

Tuktuks are as expensive as taxis, maybe more. They get a mess of people where they want to go, fast.

When all taxis full, what do you do? Try to hail a tuktuk.

No idea why anyone would or could join the ranks of these drivers but surely if they are adding them as some sort of come.on for tourists, that's gonna end vey badly indeed.

I always look at tourists SITTING IN TRAFFIC from my ac taxi and think...what idiots.

What a golden opportunity to take a lead in SE Asia and introduce battery-powered or other 'green' tuk tuks. How about taking just one step making it a more people-friendly (and animal) planet? Based on previous experience in other realms, I'm bracing for bitter disappointment.

Don't you just love breathing deeply the smoke-belching tuk-tuks while having your ears assaulted with their roar at the same time?

Bangkok doesn’t need 500 more serious polluters. Would Thailand convert to having electric tuk tuks?

Years ago, I saw a BBC documentary about the issue. A Bangkok tuk tuk driver was lent a new electric tuk tuk to race with another tuk tuk driver and his conventional tuk tuk. The film footage showed the electric tuk tuk win the race, the documentary interviewer offering the tuk tuk driver the electric one as a prize, but then he turns the generous free offer down!! The interviewer is visibly at a loss for words, so would I have been.

Faster and much cleaner technology for free, …. but no. Who can understand the paradoxes of this country?

"Foul smell".

Someone watched too many 60s movies?

Long gone as already written.

I think there is a possibility to get a driving license for "tuk tuk"/trikes issued to farangs.

I know at least one guy who drives a "tuk tuk" on a regular basis (of course not as a commercial/taxi vehicle).

As this guy is very law-abiding I don't think he is driving without a license.

Also here in the region I occasionally see farangs on trikes (the slow moving one based on motorcycles).

Russia??

eg:

Yes that's an electric tuktuk but where are the solarpanels on the roof? How could they forget them? Just mount them on the roof and connect to the battely.

Tuk Tuk's are good when you need to haul some shit that will not fit in a taxi. Be it equipment, goods or people. Yes they do over charge if you cannot bargain. They are part of Bangkok. Should get rid of more taxis.

We need more transport taxi's in BKK, like pickuptrucks.

will they have Taxi Meters ?

and 2 stroke motors pollute as they burn oil with the fuel ,

Big really they are not helping much , since they are too wide to go through traffic like motorbikes they do not help the traffic problem ,

But how many tourists asked for more ??????

Bad idea with no PLUSes as I see it

• 2 weeks later...

will they have Taxi Meters ?

and 2 stroke motors pollute as they burn oil with the fuel ,

Big really they are not helping much , since they are too wide to go through traffic like motorbikes they do not help the traffic problem ,

But how many tourists asked for more ??????

Bad idea with no PLUSes as I see it

Tuktuk's drive on LPG mate.

They can also have motocy taxi's on lpg these days, or longtailboats.

http://www.gastechproducts.com/outboat.html