Flying with a dog Domestically in Thailand

Hi,

I have heard so many stories of people saying they can take a small dog breed as carry on, on flights within Thailand... but I keep reading on the airline website that you cannot.

Can someone please give me a clear answer on this?

Is it really as simple as calling the airline? or talking to the airline at the airport a week or so before planned travel.

My dog is a toy poodle of 5 months old (so the dog is very small).

The flights I have in mind will be at least Chiang Mai to Bangkok and if possible Bangkok to Surit Thani.?

I would much prefer to take it as carry on due to the age of the dog specifically.

Thank you

With Thai smile 100% you can. Have personally done it more than once (and with bully pups too!). Just need up to date papers and vaccination certificates as well as a dog crate small enough so thatl basically will fit under the seat in front of you. Other airlines you will have to check but there would be no problem with such short flights with putting the dog with your check in luggage. If your worried about it break your trip up. Do Chiang Mai - Bangkok first then couple days later do your second leg. Plenty of dog friendly hotels in bangers especially in regards to toy breeds. If you really want to guarantee success just fly smile class with Thai smile it will cost you a little more but the middle seat is always left vacant and for all intents and purposes you are flying "first class" so having your dog fly with you I am sure would not be an issue.

Thanks Starky,

Should I go to the Thai Smile office at Chiang Mai Airport to pay for the dog? and when is the latest I should leave it until I go? Think a week is ok?

What up to date papers do I need other than the vaccination certificates?

I looked at the Smile class... looking at about 15,000 baht to Surat Thani not including the dog... but I'd pay it if I knew it would be trouble free and fast.

Thanks Starky

Mick

Better call the airline on this. Their website says "Pets will not be allowed on board at any cases." https://www.thaismileair.com/en/BaggagePolicy

May be a fairly recent change. Their parent company Thai Airways allowed pets in the cabin for many years, and I always flew them for that reason but the policy changed about a year ago and they no longer do. May be the same for Thai Smile.

My dog is an American Spaniel, 16kg so to large for on board but when I asked with Nok, allowed as check in luggage at 400 baht a sector ie Hat Yai to Bangkok etc. I must admit, they were one of the best airlines I have used for a pet, they were outstanding. Thai and Air Asia would not take him as check in, only Nok, this was one year ago.