Phuket Tourist Police arrest Russian woman working illegally as real estate agent

webfact

Phuket Tourist Police arrest Russian woman working illegally as real estate agent
Eakkapop Thongtub

1449110854_1-org.jpg
Anastasia Spirkina (centre) was arrested after trying to sell a condo unit to an undercover Tourist Police officer.

PHUKET: -- Tourist police in Phuket yesterday (Dec 2) arrested a Russian woman for working illegally when she attempted to sell a condo unit to an undercover officer.

The arrest of 30-year-old Anastasia Spirkina came when the undercover officer met her at the unit she was trying to sell in Rawai.

Lt Ekkachai Siri of the Tourist Police said that they had received a tip-off from the building owner stating that Spirkina had posted a message on Facebook advertising a unit in the building for sale.

The advert was aimed at foreigners, and was selling the unit for a lower price than usual.

The owner was afraid that the advert could possible be fraudulent and could see any buyer defrauded for their money.

They also felt it would lead to damage to Phuket’s real estate market.

“We had an undercover officer contact Spirkina via Facebook pretending to be a potential buyer.

Full story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-tourist-police-arrest-russian-woman-working-illegally-as-real-estate-agent-55244.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2015-12-03

When I was trying to find a flat to rent I came across a few advertisements that looked too good to be true.

Luxury penthouse apartments with photos. The rent was lower than the average.

I sent a message to the email address given. The "owner" was "overseas" with some "excuse". They said they'd send me the keys as soon as I sent a deposit and two months rent in advance to a PO box in the Netherlands.

I replied with a letter praising them for the nice offer and I said I'd be happy to pay 2 years rent in advance if they'd just give me a name and street address for a courier to deliver the cash.

As expected they didn't reply as my offer probably seemed too good to be true. ;-)

Edited by xerostar

The owner was afraid that the advert could possible be fraudulent and could see any buyer defrauded for their money. They also felt it would lead to damage to Phuket’s real estate market.

Any land sale in Phuket is likely to be fraudulent. The provincial land division sold fake land deeds for years, often for land which had been reserved for open or public use. Phuket's real estate market has been irreparably damaged by greed and corruption of its governmental officials. Why don 't they set up stings so that they can prosecute the land division officials rather than some insignificant foreigner trying to eek out a living in Thailand?

The owner was afraid that the advert could possible be fraudulent and could see any buyer defrauded for their money. They also felt it would lead to damage to Phuket’s real estate market.

Any land sale in Phuket is likely to be fraudulent. The provincial land division sold fake land deeds for years, often for land which had been reserved for open or public use. Phuket's real estate market has been irreparably damaged by greed and corruption of its governmental officials. Why don 't they set up stings so that they can prosecute the land division officials rather than some insignificant foreigner trying to eek out a living in Thailand?

"Any landsale in Phuket is likely to be fraudulent" is simply nonsense.

Edited by stevenl

Really wow...

I guess she's just one of 1000s of foreigners 'working' as real estate agents in Thailand

the many thousands of foreigners (some with knowledge and expertise in the industry - even certified qualifications) who are among the Millions of Thais who are real estate agents.

the only 'profession' more numerous than Thai insurance agents are Thai real estate agents.

Just an hour ago... drove past a shop house with sign in our neighborhood. We hHave a Thai friend looking for such a property to rent. We called the number posted and all met at the place. As the 'agent' rolled up... we laughed... it was our much adored food shop owner (and cook) ! We love this woman and have known her for years. We eat her cooking a few times a week. She is an excellent cook. We all laughed and when our friend was put in touch we rode away. Maybe we will get a piece of the action :)

Nad what about the hordes of illegal text drivers on Phuket's roads. Never any action is taken against this mob sad.png

Now they are legally licensed to steal, with the green plates and all. How do you make a lot of illegal drivers legal.........Let them put on green plates and pronounce them law abiding citizens.

Why get right to the source of the problem, when you can use window dressing cases like this, to pretend you are solving a problem?

And if any land sale in Phuket is likely to be fraudulent, how about Dark Tao, the epicenter of real estate fraud, in Thailand? Every deed on Tao is fake, since it is all leased land. Every single title is fake.

I'm currently monitoring lawsuits filed in the Phuket Court where developers couldn't finish projects because they were building on land they didn't legally own. As for "nonsense", read this:

http://www.thailawforum.com/thailand-officials-investigate-fake-land-title-deeds-in-phuket/

whistling.gif

Edited by zaphod reborn

I'm currently monitoring lawsuits filed in the Phuket Court where developers couldn't finish projects because they were building on land they didn't legally own. As for "nonsense", read this:

http://www.thailawforum.com/thailand-officials-investigate-fake-land-title-deeds-in-phuket/

whistling.gif

So? A statement like "Any landsale in Phuket is likely to be fraudulent" is simply nonsense.

Before purchasing any land or even a Condo in Thailand- it is imperative to go to the land office with a copy of the Land document- Chanote- to see who the actuall owner is and if there are any outstanding liabilities against the land. The same goes for a Condo- you want to know who the Condo owner is and who owns the land the condo sits on. Without this information- I would not purchase.

With all the crime that goes down in Phuket, good to BIB out there nailing violent ones like this woman......

A Russian working without a work permit is against the law.

However let us not pretend that

"They also felt it would lead to damage to Phuket’s real estate market."

reflects the true and honest motives of either the (Thai landowner / competitor) person that reported her to the police, or the motives of the Royal Thai Police.

The local real estate people also do not want to see condos,houses,and land being sold at a buyer's price as their greedy side of this market would be hurt.

The local real estate people also do not want to see condos,houses,and land being sold at a buyer's price as their greedy side of this market would be hurt.

It seems like Phuket, Samui, and Dark Tao are the worst offenders in the country. The land department seems to be available, to stretch and bend the laws for developers, at a price. Buyer beware. Dark Tao seems to be the worst in the country. They are currently investigating HALF of all land deeds. It is all leased land. Of course the deeds are all fraudulent.

DELETED

Edited by seedy
Quote Bangkok Post

.... hemm...

The article doesn't talk about land sale but property sale at a suspiciously lower price than average. Doesn't it ring any bell to your ears ?!?

One Post Edited -

Forum Rule -

6) The Bangkok Post and Phuketwan do not allow quotes from their news articles or other material to appear on Thaivisa.com. Neither do they allow links to their publications. Posts from members containing quotes from or links to Bangkok Post or Phuketwan publications will be deleted from the forum.

It is not only land or housing.A couple of years back I considered buying business in Chiang Mai. The operator showed me all the existing contracts which of course was in Thai and even took me around to meet several clients.

They were all lovely people who praised the business and encouraged me to buy the company.

It was then I realised that all contracts expired around the same time in just a couple of weeks. It was then I smelled a rat and quickly pulled out of the deal.

Some very simple rules for buying or renting property in Thailand:

1. Rule: Never ever buy a property, ONLY RENT

2. Rule: If you rent a property never ever rent it from all the "reputable", "foreign", " international companies", they charge you more than 50% than the Thai owner or a Thai agent

3. Check different sources before you rent, you will be surprised how often the same property is for rent at different agents for different prices

4. Always negotiate the price, you can get minimum 10% of a deal

5. Never ever pay rent for 1 year in advance, if you do so only when you know the owner since ages and trust him like a brother, also 1 year advance payment should lead to a reasonable discount.

After all the Phuket property market is and overcooked scam business, for an example: Look at Real2 life condo at Naiharn. I was offered an apartment in there more than 2 years ago with the promise it would be finished up in 4-5 month even if a monkey could see it would take - if the funding is in place :-) - around

9 month to finish it. Today ? They not even finished "shell and core", Hahaha :-)))))).. I followed Rule No. 1 by the way.

This Island is full of such projects. Diamond condominium at Bang Tao ? Same promises and the project started 1 year later than scheduled, and many many more. Most projects are never fully funded and rely on potential buyers.

AGAIN: RULE NO.1 NEVER EVER BUY PROPERTY IN THAILAND. Also not a finished project. Why you should ? You get nothing. Not even a proper Visa is connected to this buy. Better go to Malaysia, at least you get a residency ( renewable ) for 10 years if you buy property worth around 1 (?) Mio. Ringit.

Rent only, same ruler actually apply for Thai Women :-)

Some very simple rules for buying or renting property in Thailand:

1. Rule: Never ever buy a property, ONLY RENT

2. Rule: If you rent a property never ever rent it from all the "reputable", "foreign", " international companies", they charge you more than 50% than the Thai owner or a Thai agent

3. Check different sources before you rent, you will be surprised how often the same property is for rent at different agents for different prices

4. Always negotiate the price, you can get minimum 10% of a deal

5. Never ever pay rent for 1 year in advance, if you do so only when you know the owner since ages and trust him like a brother, also 1 year advance payment should lead to a reasonable discount.

After all the Phuket property market is and overcooked scam business, for an example: Look at Real2 life condo at Naiharn. I was offered an apartment in there more than 2 years ago with the promise it would be finished up in 4-5 month even if a monkey could see it would take - if the funding is in place :-) - around

9 month to finish it. Today ? They not even finished "shell and core", Hahaha :-)))))).. I followed Rule No. 1 by the way.

This Island is full of such projects. Diamond condominium at Bang Tao ? Same promises and the project started 1 year later than scheduled, and many many more. Most projects are never fully funded and rely on potential buyers.

AGAIN: RULE NO.1 NEVER EVER BUY PROPERTY IN THAILAND. Also not a finished project. Why you should ? You get nothing. Not even a proper Visa is connected to this buy. Better go to Malaysia, at least you get a residency ( renewable ) for 10 years if you buy property worth around 1 (?) Mio. Ringit.

Rent only, same ruler actually apply for Thai Women :-)

"Conditions to obtain an investment visa:

The foreign investor that wishes to obtain a one year visa investment must:

(1) have been granted a non-immigrant visa (Non Immigrant); and

(2) have evidence of transferring funds into Thailand of no less than Baht 10 million; and

(i) have evidence of investing in the purchase or rental of a condominium unit for a period of no less than 3 years issued by a relevant agency or government, at a purchase or rental price of no less than Baht 10 million; or

(ii) must have evidence of investing in the form of a fixed deposit of no less than Baht 10 million with a bank which is registered in Thailand and has Thai nationals holding more than 50 percent of its shares; or

(iii) must have evidence of investing in the purchase of government or state enterprise bonds of no less than Baht 10 million; or

(iv) must have evidence of making an investment as set out in criteria (3), (4), or (5) with a total value of not less than Baht 10 million.

Note: The only catch is that this promotion only apply to foreign investors that have invested after the 25 November 2008 and onward. Those that have purchased condominium units between the 1st october 2006 and the 25 November 2008 do unfortunately not qualify."

So Malaysian 1M ringgit amounts to same as investment visa here. Though I don't know who'd want to rent a place for 10M baht, but applies to rentals same as purchases smile.png