I Survived Suvarnabhumi . . .

If he had any cheek I think Taxexiles tongue was firmly planted in it! :o

Yes, my thoughts also.

Depending on the circumstances, it could actually be beneficial to the airlines in allowing more carry-on baggage. For example, passengers like me rarely travel with checked luggage, but I usually have two carry-ons - one small bag and one large piece that's fits into the overhead bin. Almost always one or both are over the 7 kg. limit, but I've always been able to bring them on without any hassles. If they strictly enforced the carry-on rules, I'd have no choice but to have my luggage checked, resulting in more work for them and less room for carrying cargo which they make money on. If everyone were to bring a lot of checked luggage, plus abuse the carry-on limitations, then it's not to the airlines advantage as it means extra weight. But if enough people like me travel with them, then it is to their advantage to let the rules slide. A lot of us travellers would hate to be forced to stop what we're doing and if one single airline started to strictly enforce the carry-on rules they'd stand to lose a good number of customers.

Edited by Soju

Don't talk to me about hand luggage! I nearly had a stand up row in Manchester on the way in! I work as a semi-pro photographer in my spare time and always carry my equipment in a reporter bag completely hand luggage friendly size and weight. But I carry my laptop in a very lightweight a foldable bag (literally it can fit in your jeans pocket).

I got walk through and get told 1 piece of luggage . . . I say well the laptop won't fit in my camera bag the response - 'make it fit!' So here is me completely undersized luggage and a laptop cannot go through but I see people taking the small suitcases on obviously way oversize and weight - NOT A PROBLEM!

Anyway in the end I just stuffed laptop bag in my pocket and carried the bag and laptop in my hand over to a different belt put it down and they didn't bat an eyelid!!!

Talkabout jobsworths!

I've never flown anything but economy in my life and I have a lot of unused miles. I'm just saving those for free tickets. I'm never jealous of biz and first class ticket holders, they subsidize the low prices I can get in economy! God bless 'em. When I'm old(er) and the body gets cranky(ier), I'll probably splurge on a long distance flight, but I'm pretty much the spartan Yankee (New England version). AND, if I had paid first or biz class rates, I'd be pretty darn picky about the perqs I got!

Don't talk to me about hand luggage! I nearly had a stand up row in Manchester on the way in! I work as a semi-pro photographer in my spare time and always carry my equipment in a reporter bag completely hand luggage friendly size and weight. But I carry my laptop in a very lightweight a foldable bag (literally it can fit in your jeans pocket).

I got walk through and get told 1 piece of luggage . . . I say well the laptop won't fit in my camera bag the response - 'make it fit!' So here is me completely undersized luggage and a laptop cannot go through but I see people taking the small suitcases on obviously way oversize and weight - NOT A PROBLEM!

Anyway in the end I just stuffed laptop bag in my pocket and carried the bag and laptop in my hand over to a different belt put it down and they didn't bat an eyelid!!!

Talkabout jobsworths!

Was it EMIRATES, technocrasy? They are very strict on hand luggage, particularly at Manchester; in fact all the EK check-in staff there are really unpleasant; don't know why, it must be the Lancashire-Cheshire ley-lines!?

those complaining about the walkbridges to the aircraft - pfffttt

I came in last night on TG669 from Guangzhou and the aircraft parked away from the terminal and we were transferred to buses for the trip to the terminal - the airport is not complete yet.

and as has been mentioned - no priority for biz class luggage - a good wait for anything to spit out onto the carousel.

they only good thing I thought was a speedy immigration process because of the number of booths manned.

I came in last night on TG669 from Guangzhou and the aircraft parked away from the terminal and we were transferred to buses for the trip to the terminal - the airport is not complete yet.

Don't know that I would agree with the conclusion you've drawn. I think the bus gates are part of the actual airport design. I recall looking at one of the scale models for Suvarnabhumi Airport a couple years ago at Don Muang (I think it was in the old domestic terminal). The "remote aircraft parking area" (or words to that effect) was prominently featured in the model even then.

Remote Aircraft Parking Area = "RAPA"

How about Remote Aircraft Storage Transit Area = "RASTA"

But also what are they working on behind the firestation at Suvarnabuhmi??? Lots of heavy equipment out there churning up the dirt and ferrying it back and forth in tipper trucks. There is a sign on the fence which is lettered "BIA Phase Two".

Are they expanding the place already? Or did Taksin plant some kind of sleeper out there ... only to emerge in months. What could it be? Maybe a hospital that only charges 30 baht to sick passengers?

But also what are they working on behind the firestation at Suvarnabuhmi??? Lots of heavy equipment out there churning up the dirt and ferrying it back and forth in tipper trucks. There is a sign on the fence which is lettered "BIA Phase Two".

Are they expanding the place already? Or did Taksin plant some kind of sleeper out there ... only to emerge in months. What could it be? Maybe a hospital that only charges 30 baht to sick passengers?

The new riffraff budget airlines terminal?

Edited by Shimokitazawa

I agree that the airport was not ready to open, but I doubt that if they had waited another 3 months (or 6), everything would have been fine.

One of Murphy's laws says that "any project will extend itself in time as much as the deadline allows". Thai corollary: "... plus a few days or weeks".

We'll never know, but I think that even if they hadn't opened until next October, things wouldn't have been any different.

Now that the airport is open, there is real urgency (or at least fake patpong copy of urgency) and hopefully things will be sorted out in the next few months. In the meantime, carry an extra dose of patience, it is still allowed in your hand luggage.

Talkabout jobsworths!

Was it EMIRATES, technocrasy? They are very strict on hand luggage, particularly at Manchester; in fact all the EK check-in staff there are really unpleasant; don't know why, it must be the Lancashire-Cheshire ley-lines!?

Nope it was BMI to just down to London - the Airline your can't upgrade to Business class on! Only a premium economy ticket which make sod all difference apart from you can change it and get a refund (which I had).

I even check on the BMI website before leaving and it said one bag and one laptop allowed. I understand they have been more strict because of the terrorist threat but this was just being rediculous! There I was with literally a laptop in hand and my hand luggage friendly bag - them wanting me to take the laptop out for x-raying so leaving me with one bag!

Anyway thankfully I ain't returning to the UK for a long time! Just to note I walk through Suvarnabhumi with exactly the same luggage and they didn't blink an eye lid.

I agree that the airport was not ready to open, but I doubt that if they had waited another 3 months (or 6), everything would have been fine.

One of Murphy's laws says that "any project will extend itself in time as much as the deadline allows". Thai corollary: "... plus a few days or weeks".

We'll never know, but I think that even if they hadn't opened until next October, things wouldn't have been any different.

Now that the airport is open, there is real urgency (or at least fake patpong copy of urgency) and hopefully things will be sorted out in the next few months. In the meantime, carry an extra dose of patience, it is still allowed in your hand luggage.

I couldn't agree more. I think doing what they did was the only way to get the airport open in a reasonable time-frame and anything else would have just delayed the opening without anything being any more finished than it already was. At least they had the sense to open it during low-season rather than high-season. Give it a bit of time and I'm sure most of the problems will be worked out, just like any large-scale custom project...there are always kinks which nobody could have predicted.

Talkabout jobsworths!

Nope it was BMI to just down to London - the Airline your can't upgrade to Business class on! Only a premium economy ticket which make sod all difference apart from you can change it and get a refund (which I had).

I even check on the BMI website before leaving and it said one bag and one laptop allowed. I understand they have been more strict because of the terrorist threat but this was just being rediculous! There I was with literally a laptop in hand and my hand luggage friendly bag - them wanting me to take the laptop out for x-raying so leaving me with one bag!

Anyway thankfully I ain't returning to the UK for a long time! Just to note I walk through Suvarnabhumi with exactly the same luggage and they didn't blink an eye lid.

Unfortunately we have to put up with certain irregular constraints at the moment. As you mentioned, there is a terrorist threat in UK and as such new regulations in place. I've flown several times in and out of UK airports since this legislation has been in place and although a little tiresome, we sometimes have to make sacrifices and be selfless about things. Not a drama.

Chock Dee my friend :o