I Survived Suvarnabhumi . . .

I flew into Suvarnabhumi last Sunday (1st Oct) so was one of the early test rats for the experience flying in from Heathrow.

So starting from the approach things seemed to be quicker in getting the plane on the floor than Don Muang there was so long circling down - which is obviously a good thing. Once on the ground my mind was wondering exactly where the taxi's would be located as the 'map' provided on the plane didn't show any details.

After a long old walk with the blind leading the blind we came to a point with a shop in the middle of the concourse and a sign to the left saying Immigration. So left it is then . . . part way up this ramp we are stopped and asked what flight . . . then told got back and continue down the concourse beyond the shop. Who decided to stick the shop there!? Talk about confusing the matters and there is a complete lack a signs.

We now arrived at the correct immigration desks looking for the Fast Track line . . . instead of been welcomed to the queue we got stared at by the 'assistant' who quizzed '1st class?' I replied no business she then completely blanked us. Anyway through the immigration with minimal fuss.

Now we find the correct carousel - expecting our Priority Luggage be ready and waiting .. .. NO SUCH BLOODY LUCK! I'm a gold card member and regularly fly business class also and I at least thought they could be arsed get the priority luggage out first! Well that said a few lucky folks had . . . so we waited and waited and waited and waited . . . . 45 minutes later still waiting . . . 1 hour our bags appear! Deep in amongst all the standard baggage - what exactly is the point of paying for extra service if you don't get it!

So bags loaded out we go to be greeted by the folks in yellow t-shirts asking 'you want a taxi?', of course I reply yes - they then say 'of we'll take you bag no problem' - I think hmmm this is the Limo service upon asking how much she replies with the normal 800baht. Nope I want the public taxi - oh downstairs I'm told. Signposts are a wonderful invention somebody should of told the designers!

Anyway with a minimal amount of fuss were in a taxi and down to Sukhumvit Soi 11 for 300 baht. Ok.

The stopover in BKK finishes we fly on to our final destination Vientiane - so taxi in the morning off to Suvarnabhumi.

It starts off well enough pulling in at Suvarnahumi having the business and 1st class check in area is very nice. Although there wasn't a huge amount of staff about - I can't grumble too much. I was thinking maybe it's good to fly out of. So bags checked in we walk through the tax and immigration with minimal fuss which is what I'd expect. Having an elevator down to the Business Lounge I initially thought was a good touch however this is where it all goes so very wrong! You go down and no impression of service is given since you could quite easily walk past the very small desk with just one person manning it checking tickets. In fact one guy nearly did but turned around and queue with us.

So they check your tickets BUT WHAT IS THE POINT? They don't make any calling announcements!!!! I'm sorry but this is very wrong! I'm flying business class because I want the minimal amount of hassle and want be told that the plane is boarding and I can wander down at my leisure. Don Muang made calls, Manchester makes calls, Heathrow makes calls in lounges - in fact every airport does even tiny Vientiane airport can manage it. Why the hel_l can't this new super duper airport do it?

Then I enter the lounge - yep very long - but with sod all seating big seats and sofas surround one table. We walked up and down twice before we found a two seat together. Then you have to walk about 20 or 30 metres to get a drink - I'm sure Health and Safety would have something to say about people walking this distance with scalding hot drinks and not a tray in site (so several journeys are required for food!)

After 10 minutes pissing about to get a drink and food I sit down and think hmmm need to check my emails and do a bit of work. Nothing unusual not forgetting I'm supposed be business class. How wrong could I be! NO FREE WIFI INTERNET!!!! Well it's exactly worse than that because some does exactly exist but there is so many different antenna and signals in the area you cannot connect (i did a scan of the traffic in the area as I design wireless networks). Don Muang never had any problems. I wouldn't of even minded a pay option but there wasn't even that!

So a business lounge without internet connectivity! Fan-bloody-tastic! I gave up and sat back drink the coffee. I thought about using the toilet but I couldn't see any signs and just thought '<deleted> this for a game of soliders'. Thinking hmmmm I wonder when I plane will be boarding - walking all the way down to the end of the lounge I ask the 'assistant' I'm told 'they are starting to board now'. Ok so of we wander. <deleted> it was a long walk! Don Muang had several lounges and you could put yourself in the closest to you gate no such luck here! So we final arrive at the gate.

Guess what - not boarding. ARRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHHH total crap! So we then end up sitting in the goddamn horrible metal excuses for chairs at the gate. I see they are start to prepare for board so we walk over ready to be at the front for the business call. Although they didn't call Business over the tannoy so the crush started only for the woman at the front to be say business class and gold card only.

Anyway tickets shown and down we go. Thinking thank god for that we can now relax after the 5am start. You'd think it would be happy from here but no! For some reason the walk way into the plane splits but it isn't sign posted where you go! So after a second of in decision we get to the plane wandering is this really our plane?!? They check our tickets and it appear we came the right way!

Then to cap it all I realised the air way was attached to the very front of the aircraft so ALL passenger now have to walk through Business class to Economy! I don't upgrade to be clouted by folks bags as they herd down to economy. So as the steward struggled around the herd to pass out drinks etc. We sat back and said 'Thank <deleted> we are out of that place!'

All in all I have to say I am gobsmacked by how bad it is! The only bonus of being Business class is the nice quite check in area but there was always a couple of desks for business alone at Don Muang.

Utterly utterly utterly terrible!

Now THAT was funny, but yeah, fair enough, ...

if you fork out for biz class, they should kiss your arse and not subject you to the economy carry-on massage from the rabble in the cheap seats as they trample the shag-pile. :o

I flew into Suvarnabhumi last Sunday (1st Oct) so was one of the early test rats for the experience flying in from Heathrow.

Guess what - not boarding. ARRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHHH total crap! So we then end up sitting in the goddamn horrible metal excuses for chairs at the gate. I see they are start to prepare for board so

Man...just take it easy...

g.

Good report by OP. I just wish that they had not rushed to open Survarnabhumphi. It clearly is not ready, and has several design flaws.

Surely in this day and age: professional 'snaggers' are meant to root-out problems and design mistakes and inadequacies?

I blame Takhsin S. It was just his face-saving plan to open earlier than it should.

So they check your tickets BUT WHAT IS THE POINT? They don't make any calling announcements!!!! I'm sorry but this is very wrong! I'm flying business class because I want the minimal amount of hassle and want be told that the plane is boarding and I can wander down at my leisure. Don Muang made calls, Manchester makes calls, Heathrow makes calls in lounges - in fact every airport does even tiny Vientiane airport can manage it. Why the hel_l can't this new super duper airport do it?

Many lounges around the world do not make calls of when flights are leaving. Right now, the TG lounge is for TG, plus all Star Alliance airlines (except UA) and possibly a few other airlines as well. If they announced all the flights, it would be extremely annoying with the constant blare of flight announcements. I'd be complaining loudly if they did do that. I know what time my flight is scheduled to leave and I have a watch and am very capable of checking when the departure time nears and then to go ask at the desk if the flight will still be leaving on time. One nice addition would be to put some large monitors up showing the departing flights, but please, no announcements.

Then I enter the lounge - yep very long - but with sod all seating big seats and sofas surround one table. We walked up and down twice before we found a two seat together. Then you have to walk about 20 or 30 metres to get a drink - I'm sure Health and Safety would have something to say about people walking this distance with scalding hot drinks and not a tray in site (so several journeys are required for food!)

Not sure what lounges you've been visiting, but certainly 20 or 30 meter walks from the drinks to certain seating is very common in many lounges I've visited. Anyways, I don't see the point if the distance is only 5 meters or 30 meters, if spilling a scalding hot drink is a hazard at 30 meters it would still be a hazard at 5 meters. If you think that's a hazard, then I think all lounges around the world that serve hot beverages are a hazard. I agree that having trays to hold everything would be nice.

After 10 minutes pissing about to get a drink and food I sit down and think hmmm need to check my emails and do a bit of work. Nothing unusual not forgetting I'm supposed be business class. How wrong could I be! NO FREE WIFI INTERNET!!!! Well it's exactly worse than that because some does exactly exist but there is so many different antenna and signals in the area you cannot connect (i did a scan of the traffic in the area as I design wireless networks). Don Muang never had any problems. I wouldn't of even minded a pay option but there wasn't even that!

Agreed with that. I didn't have a laptop, but it appeared that the computers there are using a wireless network and they seemed to have lots of problems. Some of them worked and some didn't. Some were quite fast and others extremely slow and constantly disconnecting and reconnecting to the network. They need to get some technical people to sort out these problems, but being it's a brand new airport that was rushed to open this is all to be expected. If they're still having problems 3 months from now, then I'd be complaining very loudly.

So a business lounge without internet connectivity! Fan-bloody-tastic! I gave up and sat back drink the coffee. I thought about using the toilet but I couldn't see any signs and just thought '<deleted> this for a game of soliders'. Thinking hmmmm I wonder when I plane will be boarding - walking all the way down to the end of the lounge I ask the 'assistant' I'm told 'they are starting to board now'. Ok so of we wander. <deleted> it was a long walk! Don Muang had several lounges and you could put yourself in the closest to you gate no such luck here! So we final arrive at the gate.

There are two separate restrooms - one near each end of the lounge. There was lots and lots of attendants there when I visited the lounge. More attendants per square meter of lounge space than any lounge I've ever seen. It is very easy to find one and ask where anything is. They were very helpful. The lounge was full when I arrived, but I asked one of them where there was a seat and she went around and found one for me. I asked several other questions of them during my stay and they were very helpful. There are many other TG lounges which will be finished soon, so there should be no problems in the near future in getting a lounge closer to your departure gate.

Guess what - not boarding. ARRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHHH total crap! So we then end up sitting in the goddamn horrible metal excuses for chairs at the gate. I see they are start to prepare for board so we walk over ready to be at the front for the business call. Although they didn't call Business over the tannoy so the crush started only for the woman at the front to be say business class and gold card only.

Same thing happened to me. They said the aircraft would be boarding soon, but when I got to the gate it was delayed a bit. They need to work on that part I'd say.

The metal chairs actually didn't bother me. I find them to be cool and I prefer them in areas which see a lot of people from all different classes. I often see people sprawled across the seating with their shoes on, getting who knows what sort of filth all over the seating which is hard to recognize on many cloth or leather type seating. With the metal seats you can see if there is any dirt or stains on the seat before sitting down.

I fully agree about the handling of the boarding process. Absolutely horrible and really surprising that TG has taken a big step backwards for business/first class passengers. I'll be sending in my complaint to them shortly about how unacceptable their current boarding process is. They had two doors open, but huge lines of economy class passengers at each door and very difficult for business/first class passengers to know which door (turns out either door was ok) to use.

Anyway tickets shown and down we go. Thinking thank god for that we can now relax after the 5am start. You'd think it would be happy from here but no! For some reason the walk way into the plane splits but it isn't sign posted where you go! So after a second of in decision we get to the plane wandering is this really our plane?!? They check our tickets and it appear we came the right way!

Then to cap it all I realised the air way was attached to the very front of the aircraft so ALL passenger now have to walk through Business class to Economy! I don't upgrade to be clouted by folks bags as they herd down to economy. So as the steward struggled around the herd to pass out drinks etc. We sat back and said 'Thank <deleted> we are out of that place!'

A little different situation for me. There was no split to another aircraft, but the single aircraft had the usual separate business/first and economy entrances. But neither was marked in any way. So lots of economy passengers entered into the business/first class entrance. Overall extremely poor service of business/first class passengers at the departure area/boarding.

All in all I have to say I am gobsmacked by how bad it is! The only bonus of being Business class is the nice quite check in area but there was always a couple of desks for business alone at Don Muang.

I can't agree with you there. I had an overall enjoyable experience and am glad I visited Suvarnabhumi during it's opening days. I had a few complaints about the airport and about TG's handling of things at the new airport, but I certainly expect any new airport to have lots of problems. If I wasn't prepared for problems, I wouldn't travel to a new airport unless totally unavoidable. I do complain to the appropriate people about the problems I encounter so that they will be aware of the problems and hopefully fix them in the near future. I'll be returning to Suvarnabhumi sometime again in the next few weeks and hopefully a majority of the current problems will be fixed by then.

I flew from the new airport last week to Hat Yai, and have to say that I was very impressed with the overall standard of efficiency and wonderful courtesy of the airport staff. I never had any problems whatsoever. :o The "restaurant" on the top floor of departures should be serving real food though, and not overpriced arty-farty pastries. :D

Last month however, I flew in from Dubai and their new "improvements" and expansion of the existing facilities was an absolute nightmare; and nobody seems ever to know whats going on if a schedule changes or confusion arises.

Now we find the correct carousel - expecting our Priority Luggage be ready and waiting .. .. NO SUCH BLOODY LUCK! I'm a gold card member and regularly fly business class also and I at least thought they could be arsed get the priority luggage out first! Well that said a few lucky folks had . . . so we waited and waited and waited and waited . . . . 45 minutes later still waiting . . . 1 hour our bags appear! Deep in amongst all the standard baggage - what exactly is the point of paying for extra service if you don't get it!

Well this is probably the mistake of the guys at the loading end (UK) who don't care a bit as long as all bags are loaded !

My story from another Business class passenger.

I flew out of the new airport 28th Sept, opening day !!! Firstly the drive to the airport was drama less.Check in counter computers went on the blink.I was first in line at Business check in and took one and a half hours.Immigration took 45 minutes.Business class lounge was half built and had ran out of ALL stock as it was the only one in operation.Flight was delayed 2 hours.On finally boarding we where told flight had problems so we sat for a further 4 hours on the plane.Eventually getting off.This is where I stated enough was enough changed my flight for the 30th and went home to Jomtien.Airline officials got me a Limo which they paid for and assured me it would also collect me on the 30th to bring me back.THis however failed to materialise.In my opinion the entire episode was a farce with choas reigning supreme.

For me the airport opened to early with no staff knowing where the hel_l anywhere was and nothing ready for acceptable operations.

:o EPG

Only 45 minutes? I waited for an hour for my bag to show up at LHR last week and I was also flying in J. :o

You know, you know, you know.......

My taxi driver did not even know hoe to get to the new airport......

But when returning to BKK my baggie was already on the belt while approaching it.............

It took me 45 minutes to get through immigration, now that is fast isn't it?

:o

Then to cap it all I realised the air way was attached to the very front of the aircraft so ALL passenger now have to walk through Business class to Economy! I don't upgrade to be clouted by folks bags as they herd down to economy.

I can understand some of your frustrations with the airport, but I must remember in the future, whenever I am forced to walk past the spoiled little rich crybabies sitting in First Class or Business Class, who have already been allowed preferential check-in, preferential security screenings, and early boarding (and bewarned, I prefer last minute boarding myself), to swing my carry-on bag far and wide to hopefully piss them off with a clear display that their self-perceived superior status means nothing to me. I even hope to let loose a loud fart on the next such occasion.

So starting from the approach things seemed to be quicker in getting the plane on the floor than Don Muang there was so long circling down - which is obviously a good thing. Once on the ground my mind was wondering exactly where the taxi's would be located as the 'map' provided on the plane didn't show any details.

After a long old walk with the blind leading the blind we came to a point with a shop in the middle of the concourse and a sign to the left saying Immigration. So left it is then . . . part way up this ramp we are stopped and asked what flight . . . then told got back and continue down the concourse beyond the shop. Who decided to stick the shop there!? Talk about confusing the matters and there is a complete lack a signs.

We now arrived at the correct immigration desks looking for the Fast Track line . . . instead of been welcomed to the queue we got stared at by the 'assistant' who quizzed '1st class?' I replied no business she then completely blanked us. Anyway through the immigration with minimal fuss.

So bags loaded out we go to be greeted by the folks in yellow t-shirts asking 'you want a taxi?', of course I reply yes - they then say 'of we'll take you bag no problem' - I think hmmm this is the Limo service upon asking how much she replies with the normal 800baht. Nope I want the public taxi - oh downstairs I'm told. Signposts are a wonderful invention somebody should of told the designers!

Anyway with a minimal amount of fuss were in a taxi and down to Sukhumvit Soi 11 for 300 baht. Ok.

The stopover in BKK finishes we fly on to our final destination Vientiane - so taxi in the morning off to Suvarnabhumi.

It starts off well enough pulling in at Suvarnahumi having the business and 1st class check in area is very nice. Although there wasn't a huge amount of staff about - I can't grumble too much. I was thinking maybe it's good to fly out of. So bags checked in we walk through the tax and immigration with minimal fuss which is what I'd expect. Having an elevator down to the Business Lounge I initially thought was a good touch however this is where it all goes so very wrong! You go down and no impression of service is given since you could quite easily walk past the very small desk with just one person manning it checking tickets. In fact one guy nearly did but turned around and queue with us.

As a fellow Thai Gold card holder, all I can say is I hope I never have to sit next to you on a flight.

Not exactly a bag of laughs are you?! :o

I left from the old Bangkok airport and returned the 5th to the new one. I hate all airports and also hate to travel. That said, I thought it was a long walk to immigration but with the people movers it wasn't really that bad. After traveling about 35 hours I DO get a little (actually a lot) cranky. We went through immigration very quickly. I was impressed but then waited about 20 minutes for my bag to show up. Actually I was amazed that my bag came at all. I checked it in at Fort Wayne Indiana. It went to Chicago, San Francisco, Taipei and finally to Bangkok. There were many taxi touts at the terminal exit. They all wanted 1,500 baht to go to Jomtien. My Thai wife met me at the airport and she was having none of the 1,500 baht prices. She managed to find a taxi for 1,000 baht. I would have settled for 1,200 but not her. I should have paid the 1,200 because the taxi driver bitched all the way to Jomtien.

Then to cap it all I realised the air way was attached to the very front of the aircraft so ALL passenger now have to walk through Business class to Economy! I don't upgrade to be clouted by folks bags as they herd down to economy.

I can understand some of your frustrations with the airport, but I must remember in the future, whenever I am forced to walk past the spoiled little rich crybabies sitting in First Class or Business Class, who have already been allowed preferential check-in, preferential security screenings, and early boarding (and bewarned, I prefer last minute boarding myself), to swing my carry-on bag far and wide to hopefully piss them off with a clear display that their self-perceived superior status means nothing to me. I even hope to let loose a loud fart on the next such occasion.

Just because someone is flying business/first class doesn't mean they're a "spoiled little rich crybaby"! Some people actually fly business class on business, ie. their company pays them to fly in a seat where they can sleep/be comfortable and arrive fresh and ready to do business. Some people have money and fly in premium classes but are anything but what you describe. It seems to me there are more economy class crybabies than there are in premium class, but certainly no class of people are exempt from these.

But anyways, regardless of the person is, your approach to dealing with premium class passengers has a very strong indication of you being an extremely jealous individual who cannot stand that some people have more money than you.

I flew economy almost exclusively for many years. Now that I'm getting older and worked hard all my life to make money I think it's time I enjoyed life a bit more, and flying in business/first class is one way I do it. But still I fly economy sometimes. When I fly in economy I have no animosity or jealousy towards those flying in a better class. Nor do I look down on those flying in economy when I'm flying in business class. It's my money and I spend it how I want to and however someone else spends their money is totally their business. Why on earth anyone would want to have an attitude like you is beyond me. Life is way too short to be envious of people who have more money than yourself.

Oh dear,

There appears to be quite a bit of animosity/jealousy from the economy crowd - somehow I expected it. As Soju says people upgrade for a whole host of reasons and I have never have been and never will be a spoilt rich cry baby - I flew 70,000+ miles in Economy. However since I don't make the journeys that often anymore I want to beable to relax and get a decent amount of sleep on the plane without being woken by a jab in the ribs every 10 minutes or wailing babies. The flight from LHR to BKK the other week I was completely shattered from the previous week working and trying to sort out our stuff for relocation back to Laos - I bought economy and went on the waiting list for Business as it was full fortunately two seat came up and I got a decent 8 hours of sleep. However I refuse to pay for 1st Class.

However this post is regarding the facilities provided at the new airport for a business class point of view NOT a personal slagging off of other folks - although people seem like they want to turn it into that!

Anyway back to the point. The lounge - regards not give out calls - there isn't that many calls that are made for all the Star Alliance flights. We sat in the lounge in Heathrow for 3 hours and I recall 3 calls for various flights being made not anything excessive. Then we got a call saying ours wasn't boarding yet and we should wait in the lounge until further notice. That is why boarding call are good! Same happened Manchester on our flight to Heathrow. It's nice to be made aware when things are delayed etc.

As for the positioning of food and drinks . . . take Heathrow, Manchester, Don Muang as examples big square rooms with the food in the middle with seats all around not a long narrow hall.

All in all when you pay the addition for an upgrade you expect the higher level service start from check in and continue all the way until your through immigration at the other end.

A question for all you Business hating Economy flyers - If you upgrade one time for a special reason and you recieve less than what you believe you'd paid for would you just say 'nevermind?' or what I expect and whinge you <deleted> off?

Somchai Jones - what have my complaints or perceived lack of service about an airport got to do with me being 'a bag of laughs'??? Any case I'll be sitting next to my wife thanks - so I ain't exactly concerned about your company!

Oh yeah as for not paying 800 baht for a 'limo' taxi - a 'limo' taxi and public taxi 90% of the time are same cars just one cost 800baht and one costs 300baht.

Edited by technocracy

Anyway back to the point. The lounge - regards not give out calls - there isn't that many calls that are made for all the Star Alliance flights. We sat in the lounge in Heathrow for 3 hours and I recall 3 calls for various flights being made not anything excessive. Then we got a call saying ours wasn't boarding yet and we should wait in the lounge until further notice. That is why boarding call are good! Same happened Manchester on our flight to Heathrow. It's nice to be made aware when things are delayed etc.

I can assure you there were way more than 3 *A flights leaving in the 3 hours before my departure - at least 10 to 20 I'd say. Being that TG is a *A airline and BKK is their home base, there are a very large number of flights. Remeber that Heathrow has what - 3 terminals? Plus Gatwick also services London. A very different situation from BKK. Once they get all the lounges open, and then if they choose to just announce the flights that are closest to a particular lounge, I would find that to be acceptable. But I would not find it acceptable to be constantly announcing all the *A flights for the entire airport.

As for the positioning of food and drinks . . . take Heathrow, Manchester, Don Muang as examples big square rooms with the food in the middle with seats all around not a long narrow hall.

Are you aware that there were like 3 or 4 different places in the TG lounge for food/drinks? The maximum distance walk to the nearest food counter was certainly less than what it was at the TG lounge at Don Muang that I normally used. Granted, there was only a limited selection of drinks at all but one counter, but overall I found it to be more convenient than Don Muang. I personally would have liked to see a bigger selection of food/drinks, whereas the distance/positioning of the counter is of little concern to me. But that's just my personal preference I guess.

Somchai Jones - what have my complaints or perceived lack of service about an airport got to do with me being 'a bag of laughs'??? Any case I'll be sitting next to my wife thanks - so I ain't exactly concerned about your company!

Good call on your part. She's probably much prettier than me.

:o

Just because someone is flying business/first class doesn't mean they're a "spoiled little rich crybaby"! Some people actually fly business class on business, ie. their company pays them to fly in a seat where they can sleep/be comfortable and arrive fresh and ready to do business. Some people have money and fly in premium classes but are anything but what you describe. It seems to me there are more economy class crybabies than there are in premium class, but certainly no class of people are exempt from these.

But anyways, regardless of the person is, your approach to dealing with premium class passengers has a very strong indication of you being an extremely jealous individual who cannot stand that some people have more money than you.

I flew economy almost exclusively for many years. Now that I'm getting older and worked hard all my life to make money I think it's time I enjoyed life a bit more, and flying in business/first class is one way I do it. But still I fly economy sometimes. When I fly in economy I have no animosity or jealousy towards those flying in a better class. Nor do I look down on those flying in economy when I'm flying in business class. It's my money and I spend it how I want to and however someone else spends their money is totally their business. Why on earth anyone would want to have an attitude like you is beyond me. Life is way too short to be envious of people who have more money than yourself.

I had hoped that the rather sarcastic tone of my post made it clear that I do not assume that all passengers flying in First or Business class are spoiled little cry babies, but only that the OP belonged to such a class of passengers and that I was responding to him, somwhat tongue in cheek. I have no personal issues with people travelling in upgraded service classes, I have no jealousies on the issue whatsoever. Yes, I do have isssues with people who would complain in a public forum about the perceived indignity of having economy class passengers passing through their cabin space upon loading. I have flown in upgraded passenger classes myself on occasion. But I have never felt that the temporary presence of economy class passengers passing by was in any way, shape, or form an inconvenience as did the OP. Those like yourself who would assume my complaint is based upon jealousy just don't get it. Try to understand that complaining about bad attitude is not always about jealousy.

More and more I see these boards as being the province of those of the neo-sahib mentality that now dominates the ex-pat community in Thailand.

Edited by Johpa
  • Like 1

I went through the new airport on the 1st October together with my other half, one of us flying BA in Business and the other flying with Austrian back to the UK. I have to say I agree with much of the OP's comments. The airport is a definite step backward from Don Muang in our opinion. After Immigration Don Muang was quite a nice airport for the Business or First Class Passenger with good lounges, wide spaces and effective air-conditioning (something sorely lacking at the new BKK airport).

The design of Suvarnabhumi isn't even a great example of Shopping Mall design, the shopping area is hot busy, narrow and just unpleasant, certainly not a place to linger. The lounges were not ready and seem to be struggling to contain the number of Passengers using the lounges. What was worse was the length of the Thai Passport Holders queue at Departure Immigration apparently caused by computer faults.

I would infinitely prefer the old Don Muang airport. It looks like Suvarnahumi will need at least 6 months to become fully operational.

Edited by Expat2B

I had hoped that the rather sarcastic tone of my post made it clear that I do not assume that all passengers flying in First or Business class are spoiled little cry babies, but only that the OP belonged to such a class of passengers and that I was responding to him, somwhat tongue in cheek. I have no personal issues with people travelling in upgraded service classes, I have no jealousies on the issue whatsoever. Yes, I do have isssues with people who would complain in a public forum about the perceived indignity of having economy class passengers passing through their cabin space upon loading. I have flown in upgraded passenger classes myself on occasion. But I have never felt that the temporary presence of economy class passengers passing by was in any way, shape, or form an inconvenience as did the OP. Those like yourself who would assume my complaint is based upon jealousy just don't get it. Try to understand that complaining about bad attitude is not always about jealousy.

More and more I see these boards as being the province of those of the neo-sahib mentality that now dominates the ex-pat community in Thailand.

Sorry, I missed the sarcasm. As is often the case on internet forums, without verbal cues, it's difficult to properly gauge the intention of the author. My apologies.

I don't have a problem if economy class passengers need to walk through the premium class to get to their seats due to lack of airport facilities. But I think it is obvious that most premium class passengers would find it more pleasant to not have a couple hundred people walking by them while seated. It's not so much an inconvenience, but more an annoyance of not being able to relax as much and be on the lookout for people coming by swinging their bags or stepping on their feet. Airports and airlines have built double walkways and doorways to planes just for this purpose. So if they have this facility and are not using it, or failed to properly label the walkways, then I think it is a valid complaint.

In my case, both walkways were open, so by economy passengers passing through business class it didn't allow them to get to their seats any faster or help the boarding process in any way. Just by simply putting a sign above the walkway labeling it "Business / First Class Passengers" it would have alleviated this situation entirely.

Edited by Soju

I went through the new airport on the 1st October together with my other half, one of us flying BA in Business and the other flying with Austrian back to the UK. I have to say I agree with much of the OP's comments. The airport is a definite step backward from Don Muang in our opinion. After Immigration Don Muang was quite a nice airport for the Business or First Class Passenger with good lounges, wide spaces and effective air-conditioning (something sorely lacking at the new BKK airport).

The design of Suvarnabhumi isn't even a great example of Shopping Mall design, the shopping area is hot busy, narrow and just unpleasant, certainly not a place to linger. The lounges were not ready and seem to be struggling to contain the number of Passengers using the lounges. What was worse was the length of the Thai Passport Holders queue at Departure Immigration apparently caused by computer faults.

I would infinitely prefer the old Don Muang airport. It looks like Suvarnahumi will need at least 6 months to become fully operational.

There were some obvious deficencies at Suvarnabhumi, but overall I much preferred it to Don Muang. Of course, I'm saying that with being someone who only had carry-on luggage. I'm of the opinion that most of the major issues will worked out within only one month, rather than six as you say. I believe that most of the additional Thai Air lounges will be open within about a month, and expect the luggage and computer problems will likely be mostly resolved by then also. Certainly they'll still be some other airline lounges that will take longer, but I'm hoping that they're delayed opening will not have much of an impact on me. Of course it's hard to say for sure, so I may be wrong on my estimates.

Johpa,

Sarcasm completely missed - ain't the easiest thing to put across on the internet.

As for people walking through Business class basically the flight from BKK to Vientiane is an Airbus A300 which has 2 doors one right at the front next the cockpit and one further back behind the business class seating.

Every single time I've ever flow this flight (over 20+ times) the single airway has been connected to the second door. So business can walk forward and take time to put bags up relax and have a drink - which isn't much to ask since I'm essentially paying double the Economy class price.

However for the first time ever it was attached to the front so we essentially had to throw our bags up and sit down quick to get out the way of the in rushing Economy queue.

All I was wanted was the normal service!! Nothing more nothing less!!

The be and the end of it was that my trip into and out of Suvarnabhumi was far less enjoyable than Don Muang always used to be. I used to actually enjoy passing through Don Muang - far more than Heathrow let put it that way!

In my opinion they should ban all ecomomy class travellers hand luggage, with the exception of a small handbag <2 kg.

The vast majority of hand-luggage economy class passengers act like animals, bringing everything on-board except the kitchen sink; they are nearly all well over the 6-7 kg limit.

I say; economy should check-in their gear. Full stop.

I make exceptions for professional musicians who should be allowed to take on board their oboe or zither etc.

"I blame Takhsin S. "

Of course you do. If the airport opened a month later, would there be more toilets?

I hears same thing, when I asked in Departure Hall where can I sit. Stuff told me, that former PM wanted open this Airport eaarly, so that's why!

economy class passengers should not be allowed any hand luggage at all.

who the h3ll do they think they are?

take out the overhead lockers and stack a few more of those cheapskates in , vertically if necessary.

Edited by taxexile

economy class passengers should not be allowed any hand luggage at all.

Well I think they should be allowed, however luggage size limits should be strictly enforced. No more huge backpacks. The luggage must fit into the frame before you enter the plane and cannot be more then 14kg (or 11kg?). How easy is this? Same rules for everyone.