Beware Certain Motorcycle rental Agency in Chiang Mai

babyjesus

An friend of mine has been in hospital for 3 weeks with a broken leg and complications. When he rented the motorcycle at an agency that has many branches in the city, the contract had 2 phone numbers, neither of which were active. The nurses at the hospital tried to call the agency to get insurance info to no avail. I tracked down the owner and was given 2 new phone numbers, which I used while sitting in his office and the phone rang. The nurses tried these new phone numbers but they were never answered. Finally I went back to ask for insurance info in person, and asked why he never answers his phone. He said he was in Bangkok. I asked if his phone works in Bangkok, mine does. Then he gave me the copy of the motorcycle registration and the copy of the owner of the motorcycle...his daughter. The motorcycle registration was not for the same bike as the one my friend rented. The contract had no license number for the motorcycle rented, just an agency number. It seems that our friend the motorcycle agency owner is using his family's motorcycles to claim insurance for those few tourists that can track him down. Otherwise they get on their planes and go home, and they don't receive the up to 30,000 baht that they are entitled to from the basic, compulsory motorcycle insurance that every motorbike is required to have by law.

If you or someone you know can't get through to your motorcycle agency for insurance info, contact me. I know where this guy is, and he knows I mean business.

Get the benefits you are entitled to. My assistance is without cost.

(By the way, I got the full insurance benefit for my friend today. Went directly to the insurance agency and then the hospital, and the eClaim was credited to his bill.)

Dear LivinLOS,

Please read for comprehension. I said I obtained the full insurance benefit, i.e. 30,000 baht. Now return to your alcoholic beverage.

Hardly full insurance then.. Thats the Government compulsory..

No damage to the bike to pay for from that then ??

I also am familiar with this case. Amazingly, the motorbike didn't suffer any injuries, but the guy sure did. BabyJesus has lived up to his name in helping the guy. If it wasn't for him, the owner of the motorcycle agency would still be holding the guy's passport and definitely would not have given up the info needed so he could get 30,000 baht toward his hospital bill.

Most tourists don't know how to navigate their way thru these problems when they're able bodied, let along in a hospital bed with multiple broken bones and don't know anyone in Chiang Mai.

A bigger problem is that many tourists can't navigate motorcycles, period, and they sure did pick a strange place to practice. If I ever go to CNX and don't see a short term tourist, who was obviously in a motorcycle accident; it will be a first.