Learn Paramotoring in Chiang Mai

fxnx

I might be interested in sharing lessons.. Even moreso microlights or ultralights..

Have done a bunch of freefall parachute jumps had a slope soaring paraglider, a few minutes stick time in a (slope) glider as well as associated RC slope soaring hobbies as a teenager.

My legs a bit weak from a break this year but probably OK for paramotor I would hope.

Hope you crash. Sick of the awful drone of those things round my house. Tell me where you live & I'll come over with a megawatts sound system & play MESmith & The Fall CDs all night!

What a wicked and distasteful thing to say. No one ever wishes a pilot to crash no matter what he is flying.

I usually see one in the air (along with a couple hot air balloons) on my early Sunday morning blasts up the 118- I don't know if it's privately operated or a rental/student model, but somebody is up there having fun.

The Army has a few days of the year where their guys are out practising (Or showing off) out towards Mae Rim. In fact I believe some private flyers use to join them for a bit of camradarie. Havent seen them in the skies for a while now but they were quite active on weekends. Maybe all the recent helicopter activity has taken up the airspace?

Looks to be be a bit of an adrenaline junkies sport... were can I sign up? (LK road doesnt do it for me anymore)

Just don't do it over residential areas, please. There's a cowboy in my village who flies over everyone's houses, resulting in pleasure for one airborne idiot, and annoyance for a large number of terrestrial homeowners. It's like living on a peaceful lake with one neighbor who insists on splashing around on a jet ski. Other than that, I agree it looks like fun.

Hope you crash. Sick of the awful drone of those things round my house. Tell me where you live & I'll come over with a megawatts sound system & play MESmith & The Fall CDs all night!

We must live in the same area. Those 2 stroke motors are bloody annoying, especially when they are flying loops at rooftop level, bah.gifbah.gifbah.gif Likewise, I would have zero sympathy if one fell from the sky.coffee1.gif

Edited by merlin2002

We must live in the same area. Those 2 stroke motors are bloody annoying, especially when they are flying loops at rooftop level, bah.gifbah.gifbah.gif Likewise, I would have zero sympathy if one fell from the sky.coffee1.gif

What a wicked and distasteful thing to say. No one ever wishes a pilot to crash no matter what he is flying.

If you think that the pilots flying these machines in an unsafe manner and not adhering to the 500 foot rule which I believe is relevant inThailand as well as most parts of the world.

Basicly an aircraft my not fly within in 500 feet of any person vessel or sructure except taking off or landing which would include the circuit.

Report them to the relevant sports body or the Thai aviation authorities after having a quiet word with the pilots.

Please do not wish them to crash.

ps most modern engines are 4 stroke and incorrect propeller settings can be the cause of most of the noise. I must admit most are noisy , and most pilots only fly within a small area from their take off point that is why we stopped them flying from our strip in the UK.

As I said please try and talk to them and not wish them to fall out of the sky.The aim of every pilot is to have the same no of safe landings as they have take offs.

If you think that the pilots flying these machines in an unsafe manner and not adhering to the 500 foot rule which I believe is relevant inThailand as well as most parts of the world.

Basicly an aircraft my not fly within in 500 feet of any person vessel or sructure except taking off or landing which would include the circuit.

Report them to the relevant sports body or the Thai aviation authorities after having a quiet word with the pilots.

Please do not wish them to crash.

ps most modern engines are 4 stroke and incorrect propeller settings can be the cause of most of the noise. I must admit most are noisy , and most pilots only fly within a small area from their take off point that is why we stopped them flying from our strip in the UK.

As I said please try and talk to them and not wish them to fall out of the sky.The aim of every pilot is to have the same no of safe landings as they have take offs.

The majority of the people flying these noise pollution machines are Thais, they couldn't care less about the 500 foot rule... giving consideration to others is not a Thai trait.

If flown responsibly, in non residential areas, I'm sure that it is a great sport.coffee1.gif

Merlin 2002

Please take a little time to read this.

http://www.nokaviation.com/ppl_trg/rules.htm

Though they are called rules They are actually law and if you feel pilots are breaking these rules you are perfectly within your rights to report these inconsiderate pilots to the relevant authorities.These rules are for safety of those on the ground.

Hope you can come to some resolve with these guys.

Merlin 2002

Please take a little time to read this.

http://www.nokaviation.com/ppl_trg/rules.htm

Though they are called rules They are actually law and if you feel pilots are breaking these rules you are perfectly within your rights to report these inconsiderate pilots to the relevant authorities.These rules are for safety of those on the ground.

Hope you can come to some resolve with these guys.

Why report them when it is easier to complain on Thai Visa?

They look like a lot of fun. Just not the kind of fun I would take up.sad.png

Maybe an ultra light.smile.png

I saw one ultralight (no paragliders) this morning down the 118- it was 15* on the deck, so it must have been chilly up there.

OK just to re-emphasize.. I would REALLY like to do some microlight / ultra light flying lessons.. Even unofficial / not registered ones and I understand theres some complexity around the legality of teaching such things.

I got all excited a while back when I read this re glider pilot training.

http://www.nokaviation.com/gliding.htm

Surely It Is Expensive?

No, not at all. In fact, the overall Cost of Flying compares very favourably with many other hobbies. At Nok Flying Club in particular, the costs are very modest, because we're a Member's Club, and nobody is making a profit out of the flying.

The annual subscription is well below what you would pay for membership for many other similar hobbies, such as a Golf Club or a Marina . While you're learning to fly, your flying fees will typically be £15 to £20 a day, although long flights are more expensive (and very much more enjoyable), which is many times cheaper than learning to fly a light aircraft.

I would actually be more interested in sail planes, not only for the cost aspect being cheap, but the challenge of marshaling lift and thermals.. I had slope and thermal soaring RC planes and preferred the glider RC world than powered RC aircraft for that challenge too.. However I inquired and the glider lessons can no longer be given. It would seem the paperwork and registration issues are hard to overcome.

If anyone is involved with the clubs here, would love to know differently or if there were any other opportunities to get some sailplane seat time.

Do keep in mind that what is keeping you up there has been made, repaired, and serviced... locally... including the canopy and shroud lines.

Do you know that for a fact?Could you point me in the direction of your info please. Remember pilots do not want to crash so I doubt they would fly with inferior equipment.

regards

Do keep in mind that what is keeping you up there has been made, repaired, and serviced... locally... including the canopy and shroud lines.

Do you know that for a fact?Could you point me in the direction of your info please. Remember pilots do not want to crash so I doubt they would fly with inferior equipment.

regards

Certainly. I took lessons at the field in Doi Saket several years ago. All of my information was obtained during those lessons. I did NOT say that the equipment was inferior. I said that it was made, repaired, and serviced... locally. Simply a statement of fact.. unless the teacher was lying to me. I have no reason to suspect that. The canopy that I used was made in Europe, but serviced locally.

I would be stunned if any of the equipment was made in Thailand.

A quick check on google does show that some equipment is made in Thailand to euro specifications , overseen by Czech Engineers who are one of the worlds leaders in sport aviation. This certainly does not indicate that any of the equipment is below standard.

A quick check on google does show that some equipment is made in Thailand to euro specifications , overseen by Czech Engineers who are one of the worlds leaders in sport aviation. This certainly does not indicate that any of the equipment is below standard.

No... it doesn't. So far, no one said anything about equipment being below standard but you. This post makes twice that you've mentioned it.

I'm pretty sure that every time my car, motorcycle, and electrical appliance has been repaired here it's been just perfect...

There you go.. Stunned ;)

• 1 month later...

" found the Chiang Mai Paramotor Club on Facebook, but I'm not sure if there is anyone there who can offer lessons, or rent gear to beginners.

I would love to take some lessons and try it out a few times. Is it possible to do this in Chiang Mai?"

to fnx have sent you a pm with training contact no, please let us all know how get on there may be others interested.