River Approaching Flood Stage

Gonzo the Face

Guess what ????/

About 6 Am today [Weds] the water level was just going back into the riverbanks.....

This evening at approx 6PM its up maybe 20-25 cm.......and back at my gate !!

To the North of us there has been very little rain, for the past 36 hrs or so, to the best that I have been able to ascertain......

Me thinks dem is playin wid de lox ...

gonzo

Last night on the Thai news there were pictures from Fang and Doi Angkhang. Major damage from flash flooding. I believe this has to come down our way... so maybe that is what you are seeing? It is possible they are releasing water from the dams to be able to accommodate that, or that it is already here, I dont know the speed of water.

Last night on the Thai news there were pictures from Fang and Doi Angkhang. Major damage from flash flooding. I believe this has to come down our way... so maybe that is what you are seeing? It is possible they are releasing water from the dams to be able to accommodate that, or that it is already here, I dont know the speed of water.

The water for the Fang / Doi Ang Khang area flows "north" into the Fang river (one of the very few rivers that does flow north), which flows into the Kok, then into the Mekong. Not to Chiang Mai. We get the water from the Ping watershed naturally enough, and from the Phrao area. But there's no doubt that they have had heavy rain north of Cnx.

The last couple of years it would seem that the water flow from the Phrao area has increased significantly = deforestation (& the same for most other areas?)

I note that the King said that the overall rainfall was not that significantly more than normal, so what is the cause of the flooding? Deforestation & the stupid clearing of incredibly steep mountain sides.

If you've ever been to Doi Ang Khang you will understand why they are having flash floods, every year they clear more and more land on the incredibly steep slopes on the east Fang side of the area to plant orchards - oranges / lamyai / lynchee. It would appear, as they are never going to learn.

The same also applies in the higher upper reaches of the Mae Taeng & Ping - the land clearing on steep slopes never stops, & only seems to increase at a faster pace.

So don’t expect the flooding to slow down in the wet season. It will only get worse every year unfortunately. Such is life with global warming & man's greed.

The speed of water is inversely proportional to the lack of angle in the drop.

Hope that helps.

This is the theory of the old school...... It has now been scientifically dis-proven..... the truth is that the water is not moving at any speed at all .... it is standing still....... it is the earth that is moving the other way under the river.... can be proven by moistening your finger then holding it up..... feel the wind against your finger ??? This tells you how fast the ground is moving... or look at your girl friends hair....if it is standing straight back, its Memorex... if its standing straight forward....your girlfriends got a beard....

from my Uncle Gonzo Einstein..

:o:D

The speed of water is inversely proportional to the lack of angle in the drop.

Hope that helps.

This is the theory of the old school...... It has now been scientifically dis-proven..... the truth is that the water is not moving at any speed at all .... it is standing still....... it is the earth that is moving the other way under the river.... can be proven by moistening your finger then holding it up..... feel the wind against your finger ??? This tells you how fast the ground is moving... or look at your girl friends hair....if it is standing straight back, its Memorex... if its standing straight forward....your girlfriends got a beard....

from my Uncle Gonzo Einstein..

:o:D

And now the epilogue......

All in all, the group spent over one year on the ark. Apparently Gonzo and his family did re-populate the earth (you're here aren't you?). Unfortunately, Gonzo missed numerous animals such as the unicorn, sphinx, and dragon which caused them to immediately become extinct. Soon after, Gonzo planted a vineyard so that he could make some wine. It is said that he got drunk and threw off his clothes, threw up and passed out. His son, Ham saw this and did nothing for his father, but his other sons, Japheth and Shem, covered their father. When Gonzo woke up, he praise two of his sons, but cursed the son Ham (Canaan), and this is the reason why the Israelites never got along with the Canaanites. Gonzo lived another 350 years and died at the ripe old age of 950.

Although he does at times appear alive and contributes to this board, Gonzo in fact is dead.

:D

In the "General" section of ThaiVisa, someone posted a link to a site about Loy Krathong. It sayeth :

The most popular festivals in early of the month November, is the Loy Krathong Festival. This festival is very welknown to Thai people and also foreigners. And it set during the weather is clear, on the full moon night, when the river is high over the country.

So there you go.

Hope you're still dry.