Buying a house with your Thai partner

She's a farm girl from Tak whose parents could not afford to send her through college, who got into a bad relationship with a Thai husband, and who spent many years working in a factory in Taiwan and S Korea to support her two children, speaks several languages, and we live Chiang Mai while her daughter goes through Uni here.

Just wondering how you know what she was doing in Korea and Taiwan?

Amazed how gullible guys are about their girls past.

As for the Thai past, they all tell a similar story.

Why are you always so negative about Thailand and Thai people yet you live here?

Negative? I rather see it as objective observances/experiences gathered over the years by those 2 gentlemen.

Why they are still here? Cost of living is still far below "Western Levels". If this weren't the case, the number of Expats living here would shrink dramatically.

It's not shameful (as a Farang) to admit to this fact.

Immigrants to the US and Europe, don't want to go to those countries because they "love" those countries. It's because "the money is better".

Same applies to a Thai Lady, looking for a relationship with a Farang. = "the money is better". That's the bottom line.

Cheers.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All good sound advice, but where are all the ones that got totally ripped off by their gfs...? Would be nice to hear that side of the fence too.

Not many posts concerning this. Understandably. They just fade away like old soldiers. Otherwise their "Exit-Post" would have to read like:

- Nobody told me.

- Why have I thrown any advice to the wind?

The list of soldiers just fading away is long...........

Cheers.

Why are you always so negative about Thailand and Thai people yet you live here?

I'm not overly negative about the Thai people, just negative about Thai sex workers living with elderly foreigners.

Who seem to invariably mistreat and abuse the trust and generosity of said elderly foreigners.

I'm married to a Thai, have children that are Thai, and interact with Thais while speaking in Thai.

So I know what Thais generally think of these "old & foolish" foreigners, with their younger "submissive" partners.

Although I prefer to call it "being realistic".

Fabricus already said it better than me,

Westerners talking about "traditional women" are clueless fools. There's no such thing as a traditional woman.

Generous western men are not viewed as "nice guys" or "ideal husbands". They're seen as saps, marks and suckers.

I am married to a Thai with a Thai son as well.

The fact that my spoken Thai is poor is down to a combination of deafness and tone deafness.

Oddly enough few Thais around here seem to share the same values as the quote "old & foolish" foreigners, with their younger "submissive" partners." that you seem to know.

I am fairly realistic as well.

Let me tell you a story based on true events.

A Canadian friend in his early 70s married a Thai lady in her 40s 4 years ago. Within a few months of the marriage he bought a house with land in Doi Saket in his wife`s name. In all he spent 10000000 baht. Unbeknownst to him his wife was taking out massive loans with loan sharks using the house as collateral. One day he was visited by some heavies telling him his loan payments were overdue, something he know nothing about. His wife done a runner, she had borrowed millions on the house. He went to a lawyer and was told, sorry pal you`re stuffed. The house now stands empty waiting to be repossessed by the loan people.

A Canadian friend in his early 70s married a Thai lady in her 40s 4 years ago. Within a few months of the marriage he bought a house with land in Doi Saket in his wife`s name. In all he spent 10000000 baht. Unbeknownst to him his wife was taking out massive loans with loan sharks using the house as collateral. One day he was visited by some heavies telling him his loan payments were overdue, something he know nothing about. His wife done a runner, she had borrowed millions on the house. He went to a lawyer and was told, sorry pal you`re stuffed. The house now stands empty waiting to be repossessed by the loan people.

I see nothing wrong in this. The woman is entitled to do as she wish with her asset. Her name is on the title deed proving she is the legal owner. The Canadian is just a visiting guest.

As I have said, only when my name is on the title deed shall I call the real asset my investment...

She's a farm girl from Tak whose parents could not afford to send her through college, who got into a bad relationship with a Thai husband, and who spent many years working in a factory in Taiwan and S Korea to support her two children, speaks several languages, and we live Chiang Mai while her daughter goes through Uni here.

Just wondering how you know what she was doing in Korea and Taiwan?

Amazed how gullible guys are about their girls past.

As for the Thai past, they all tell a similar story.

555. I'm the one with a dodgy past as far as sexual partners are concerned. So I wouldn't complain whatever she did overseas. For both of us it's history. Live for today is my stress free motto. When I pop my clogs I'll have no use for the house. It's hers.

I see nothing wrong in this. The woman is entitled to do as she wish with her asset. Her name is on the title deed proving she is the legal owner. The Canadian is just a visiting guest.

As I have said, only when my name is on the title deed shall I call the real asset my investment...

Couldn`t agree with you more.

Similar to another poster, I just gave the money and the house has turned out to be a brilliant investment - for my Thai partner.

As I have no financial interest in the place, there's no tension as to my rights about the property. I don't have any. I don't go crazy worrying about protecting my "investment," or about being cheated out of it. It's not my house. I think there are considerable health benefits from not being stressed out about ownership.

Yes, there was a risk in all of this, so maybe I'm just lucky that so far it's worked out as well as it has. The relationship has almost certainly benefitted from zero conflict around ownership issues.

I do help my partner in a business sense, but there my input is expertise. In my opinion, that's a far better contribution to a sane and happy relationship than just handing over the money (and yes, handing over the money is exactly what I did). What I did has worked out OK, but now I know better.

If I were to do it all over again? I might buy an apartment in my name, but in truth it's probably easier to hold onto the money, and just rent. That way it's easier to keep options open, and to find out what happens when I don't meet a Thai partner's expectations about being a "good provider."

I wonder if your be singing the same tune when the relationship comes to a end ?

How do YOU know the relationship will come to and end?

Do you know Dundas? Is he a "friend" of yours?

Do you have a crystal ball or are you talking rubbish from a bar stool somewhere?

Title should be building a house FOR(not with) your partner! Its done! Just pray she lets you enjoy what you built!

Odds are she wont! hahahahahahahaha! this is the funny part.

Having brother n sisters 5th removed from a stepmother move in counts as a loss for the farang...........so too does a gardnerener who lounges on your couch and watches tv on your satellelite.

Sorry but i just kant coprehend............".Honey the building inspector just gave us the cetificate for occupancy-Now you go have a good life".

Edited by Nomyai

There is nothing wrong with buying a house in your wife's name. Just don't get taken by a shyster lawyer who is telling you that he can protect your investment. The bottom line is that you have to be prepared to pack your bags and walk away from your investment at any time your wife is tired of you. If you are not financially prepared to walk away with nothing, than buy a condo in your name BEFORE you are married. Lawyers love making Thai companies that allow you to own property. They are able to charge huge fees, provide nominees and an accountant to prepare tax returns on a bogus company that has no earnings. After some time you find out that this company is indeed bogus and you will then lose sleep wondering if/when the government is going to enforce the law.

Yes, I have bought properties for my Thai wife. I would have no financial problems walking away from them if things go wrong. After her putting up with me for more than ten years, she is entitled to the property. I do have a condo that was bought BEFORE we married, so I would still have a roof over my head and I won't miss any meals. Always have a plan "B".

There is nothing wrong with buying a house in your wife's name. Just don't get taken by a shyster lawyer who is telling you that he can protect your investment. The bottom line is that you have to be prepared to pack your bags and walk away from your investment at any time your wife is tired of you. If you are not financially prepared to walk away with nothing, than buy a condo in your name BEFORE you are married. Lawyers love making Thai companies that allow you to own property. They are able to charge huge fees, provide nominees and an accountant to prepare tax returns on a bogus company that has no earnings. After some time you find out that this company is indeed bogus and you will then lose sleep wondering if/when the government is going to enforce the law. Yes, I have bought properties for my Thai wife. I would have no financial problems walking away from them if things go wrong. After her putting up with me for more than ten years, she is entitled to the property. I do have a condo that was bought BEFORE we married, so I would still have a roof over my head and I won't miss any meals. Always have a plan "B".

Its not an investment! Give your wife, son or daughter a house, even the GARDENER-------FINE!

WORDS matter!

There is nothing wrong with buying a house in your wife's name. Just don't get taken by a shyster lawyer who is telling you that he can protect your investment. The bottom line is that you have to be prepared to pack your bags and walk away from your investment at any time your wife is tired of you. If you are not financially prepared to walk away with nothing, than buy a condo in your name BEFORE you are married. Lawyers love making Thai companies that allow you to own property. They are able to charge huge fees, provide nominees and an accountant to prepare tax returns on a bogus company that has no earnings. After some time you find out that this company is indeed bogus and you will then lose sleep wondering if/when the government is going to enforce the law. Yes, I have bought properties for my Thai wife. I would have no financial problems walking away from them if things go wrong. After her putting up with me for more than ten years, she is entitled to the property. I do have a condo that was bought BEFORE we married, so I would still have a roof over my head and I won't miss any meals. Always have a plan "B".

Its not an investment! Give your wife, son or daughter a house, even the GARDENER-------FINE!

WORDS matter!

I stand corrected, BUT, ignorant people think it IS an investment.

Edited by Gary A

In the event of a divorce, you think you'll get half? I do know guys that the court awarded half. Unfortunately that court has no power to enforce that judgment. The other court takes years and very expensive lawyers. Do you know of anyone who actually received half? I don't. If someone indeed got half, it would have been out of fairness from the wife. When it comes to money, not many women are fair. I knew one guy who fought for his half until he ran out of money paying shyster lawyers. Years later, he never got a single baht.

You can own the house just not the land. If you buy the land in your partners name you can put a usufruct on it, or you could lease the land. Best do it through a good lawyer.

I think Europe is probably more expensive if you divorce. I know some guys in Europe that really did it hard, losing their house and working to support their ex.

You can own the house just not the land.

The Land Code of Thailand may not prohibit foreigners to acquire house ownership - but the Civil & Commercial Code does prevent this not only for foreigners but also for Thais. Villa buyers on leased land have typically no real legal ownership, but just a weird Thai-style pseudo-ownership. <more>

Another possibility is to buy a knockdown Thai wooden house. You can own this 100% yourself and take it with you if you break up. Awkward but possible and legal.

hqdefault.jpg

This is brilliant. One bargirl to another. One hicktown village to another! Just 1 house...............hahahaha! I could accept this............hahahahaha.

90% home loan from SCB in her name with repayments over 30 years.

Then your money is safe.

But then, how many guys have a Thai partner that has a real job?

Which she needs to get the home loan.

PS

Make sure the house is in, or near, a big city, so it actually has resale value.

Not something built on her family land in the boonies.

This approach can make a lot of sense smile.png

The Thai partner doesn't need to be working. If the foreigner is working here and has a work permit then the bank will often lend to the Thai wife guaranteed by the foreigner. We did this and at the time my wife wasn't working so had no earned income as she was a housewife looking after kids.

BTW It's technically possible also to do this if you're not married - although it is more difficult, and you may find the loan to value (LTV) percentage gets reduced if you get accepted.

Also it's technically possible for two people of the same sex to do even if not married - albeit yet more difficult again.

When we did it, I also bore in mind I'm legally entitled to 50% of assets acquired after marriage, Also given we have kids, even if we split up, they'd need a home.

It was more for nesting than investing though. Once paid off you've also fixed a significant part of your expenses and reduce currency risk if you otherwise fund your life in Thailand from outside Thailand.

Nice feeling to know your family has a roof over their heads too.

Cheers

Fletch smile.png

Edited by fletchsmile

• 2 weeks later...

Whichever way you obtain financing, and whether it be for a townhouse, detached house or condo, if it is going to be in a foreigner's name the money needs to be brought in from overseas. My Thai girlfriend and I are planning to make an investment in this project here - http://phuket9.com/phuket-property-investment - and this scheme you mention is perfect for me, as it is often taken up when the expat or foreign investor knows that he has a stable and solid relationship with their spouse or partner that they can trust. And therefore the property is bought 100% in the Thai person's name and of course this also opens up the options for finance from a Thai bank.

I think Europe is probably more expensive if you divorce. I know some guys in Europe that really did it hard, losing their house and working to support their ex.

That's interesting! I knew that slavery was still legal in parts of the United States but I had no idea alimony was ever allowed in Europe. Live and learn! sad.png

Whichever way you obtain financing, and whether it be for a townhouse, detached house or condo, if it is going to be in a foreigner's name the money needs to be brought in from overseas. My Thai girlfriend and I are planning to make an investment in this project here - http://phuket9.com/phuket-property-investment - and this scheme you mention is perfect for me, as it is often taken up when the expat or foreign investor knows that he has a stable and solid relationship with their spouse or partner that they can trust. And therefore the property is bought 100% in the Thai person's name and of course this also opens up the options for finance from a Thai bank.

Bullshit

Bullshit

I have been coming here 24 years, lived here 10 years with a bar. I have seen all the skanks in Thailand, young and old.

But you are convinced about her ?

Dream on.

Hello,i'm wondering if anybody can help me out with this little problem.

My wife and i have been legally married now for about a year.We were together 3 year's prior to this.We owned a bar in pattaya,but decided to retire back to Khon Kaen after tiring of the bar scene.The house is about a year old now and is indeed quite well built and decorated.It is the rebuild of her old house.I have no financial investment in the house,and don't want any,i have property in the UK,which is bought and paid for and is willed to my daughter upon my death.

The problem is this.The builder built a wall on the front of the land incorporating the house and a fence on top.To look at it,it would appear that its a wooden fence with a metal gate which slides to close off the property.The fence,which is,in fact,some sort of poured cement slats.The paint job is shabby,with over paint and a very clumsy finish.I wish to repaint the fence,but am unaware of the law's regarding this matter.If i paint the fence,both back and front,am i breaking any Working law's As the house is owned by my wife,is it possible,as her legal husband,for me to do this.

Any suggestion's or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

K K D.

My wife and i have been legally married now for about a year.We were together 3 year's prior to this.We owned a bar in pattaya,but decided to retire back to Khon Kaen after tiring of the bar scene.The house is about a year old now and is indeed quite well built and decorated.It is the rebuild of her old house.I have no financial investment in the house,and don't want any,i have property in the UK,which is bought and paid for and is willed to my daughter upon my death.

The problem is this.The builder built a wall on the front of the land incorporating the house and a fence on top.To look at it,it would appear that its a wooden fence with a metal gate which slides to close off the property.The fence,which is,in fact,some sort of poured cement slats.The paint job is shabby,with over paint and a very clumsy finish.I wish to repaint the fence,but am unaware of the law's regarding this matter.If i paint the fence,both back and front,am i breaking any Working law's As the house is owned by my wife,is it possible,as her legal husband,for me to do this.

Thanks

K K D.

I think technically it is illegal. However, you would be very unlikely to be caught, unless, of course, you have a neighbour with whom you don't get on with.

I know some people in the past who had visits from the authorities for the same thing. They were just advised that they were not supposed to doing any 'work' in Thailand, whether payment was involved or not.

I would just get on with it, and if approached, simply plead ignorance and apologise.

Thanks

K K D.

That questions has been discussed before and I think it was Chief of Police, it was in Phuket, who said, that as long as you do work on your own property - including building a boat or rebuilding a motorcycle - that is not work and fully legal, only if you do it for the purpose of resale, it shall be considered "work"; i.e. you build a boat or rebuild a motorcycle and sell it, and the begin building another one. Based on that I would presume, you can paint a gate and wall on your wife's property without breaking any law. smile.png

Thanks

K K D.

Was your will written before you married? If it was, your marriages has primacy and invalidates the will.

My advice? Transfer the house to your daughter while you are alive.