Buying a cheap 3G phone in Pattaya and where is AIS?

VBF

I’m posting this in the Pattaya forum because it relates to where things are in Pattaya rather than being just about telephones.

OK, so with all the changes to Thai phone services, my old 2G AIS, 12Call phone has finally stopped roaming here in the UK.

I imagine that means that I’ve lost the service, the number and the credit. Basically the number is annoying; the credit’s no big deal.

So when I return next month, (Jan 2016) I presume I shall need a new SIM with a new number and will need to purchase a 3G phone.

What I’d also like to do is take the old SIM to AIS and see if they can resurrect the number with a new SIM in the new 3G phone which I shall then have bought.

So I have 2 questions:

1 I’m very familiar with TukCom and know there are dozens of phone shops there, but could anyone tell me where the best place is to buy a cheap 3G phone in Pattaya – if it’s TukCom does anyone know a particularly helpful outlet?

When I say a cheap phone...I do not need any data facilities – phone and SMS is all I require and if there’s a 3G Nokia like that, so much the better. There are none available in UK – they’re all smart phones.

Somewhere I believe I read that 7/11 are selling cheap phones for less than 1000Baht, but cannot find the article.

2 Where is AIS’s main office in Pattaya please? If I’m to resurrect the old number, it might be better to go straight there rather than just any old phone shop.

Thanks in advance, oh and yes I know I’ll have to take my passport when I shop for a phone/SIM.

VBF (aka "Cost-aware Charles")

As you may know already, registration of all SIM cards are mandatory now. If your SIM card is not registered it was cut off a few months ago. If this is the case it can be reactivated on presentation of your passport.

1. Avoid tukcom, most shops in there are not authorized and do not honor the warranty no matter what they tell at the time of purchase. Go to Numchai, Powerbuy, Big C, Tesco Lotus or some other major shop. Cheap phones from Power Buy for example.

2. The main AIS service centre is inside Central Festival Mall, ground floor towards the beach. HERE. You can also reactivate your SIM card at any Telewiz shop, in Big C central road for example. HERE.

Edited by NightRider70

Thanks NightRider - My phone was indeed registered - a friend did it for me ages ago and we rechecked it recently (his lady went to AIS for me)

Odd that some of those phones in the Power Buy link are 900/1800 GSM.

AFAIK that will no longer work in Thailand because it's a 2G standard and Thailand is switching 2G off! If a 2G phone will work, my existing Nokia 100 will suffice and I just need to sort out the SIM or get a new number if i have to.

As I'm staying in Soi Bukhaou (sp) a quick trip to Central is simplicity itself.

KhunBENQ - I'm pleased to see some Nokias in the Hot Deal in case I do need a new phone and hopefully the AIS place in Central will have some if needed.

Edited by VBF

As a test I set my phone to GSM only and it still worked so "2G" is still up, at least in Pattaya.

Thank you NightRider - that's both helpful and perplexing!

Helpful because it may be a simple solution and maybe i won't need a new phone, perplexing because my registered Thai phone suddenly stopped roaming in the UK and had been working perfectly!

I shall find out in 5 weeks when i arrive!

As a test I set my phone to GSM only and it still worked so "2G" is still up, at least in Pattaya.

Helpful because it may be a simple solution and maybe i won't need a new phone, perplexing because my registered Thai phone suddenly stopped roaming in the UK and had been working perfectly!

This maybe this is the answer:

http://www.ais.co.th/roaming/en/prepaid/package-rate.aspx#top

This maybe this is the answer:

http://www.ais.co.th/roaming/en/prepaid/package-rate.aspx#top

Well done NightRider! at a stroke you've resolved the perplexity!! wai2.gif

That link says roaming terminated on November 18th 2015. I don't keep my Thai phone on all the time when I'm in UK and it hadn't been checked for a month or so.

When I switched it on about November 20th it had ceased to roam!

It all becomes clear now.

Doesn't change my plan of course, I shall still nip down to Central when I arrive and first try to get the old number back even if it requires a new SIM, see if my 2G phone works, then might even try to get my balance back (who knows?)

Failing that, new cheapo phone and/or new number.

I sense a plan coming together....

Thanks again - might even buy you a beer in Pattaya! biggrin.pngsmile.png

Edited by VBF

If your SIM card is registered and has time left on it, it should work straight up when you touch ground in Thailand :-) Only if you need to be able to roam outside of Thailand you need to upgrade to a 3G phone, if I understand it right.

Thanks for the beer offer.

Lol! cheesy.gif

My understanding was the exact opposite!

If the 2G service is off, then no 2G-only phones should actually operate! My little old Nokia 100 only supports 900/1800 GSM and my understanding is that the 900/1800 GSM spectrum is being or has been disconnected pending being reallocated.

That is what 2G operates on so that's why i thought what I did. Of course, my understanding may be entirely wrong.....not for the first time! facepalm.gif

As usual in Thailand, we contend with TIT combined with FUD - I think adding them up = Mai Pen Rai! whistling.gif

My SIM was registered and did have up until Jan 16th. I arrive on Jan 12th (quite by chance, I promise you!) I'm prepared for the "worst case" (which is hardly going to change the world) so we shall see.....

Pity TV doesn't allow the placing of a small wager isn't it?

Might actually be fun to meet for a beer or few - PM me with some contact details if you like - if you want to include an email address / phone number, please do.

Edited by VBF

The old number cannot be used again and what was on there is forever lost, they gave everonr 6 months to register the sim cards nd if you did you saved all, if you diid not your starting over.

If you had the courtesy to READ before replying, (posts #4 and #10) you might have noticed that I have registered it and the registration was checked recently!

Edited by VBF

once the old sim card has expired it cannot be renewed

Incorrect!
The farang partner of the lady to whom I referred in #4 found his phone wasn't working. His lady went to AIS in Loei where they live, they swapped the SIM and it worked.
The difference is that he's in Thailand and I'm in UK using roaming - read NightRider's posts above and please stop muddying the waters with rumours rather than facts. sad.png

According to this news article AIS has to cut off 2G no later than February.

https://www.telegeography.com/products/commsupdate/articles/2015/07/02/final-2g-phase-out-periods-agreed-in-thailand/

According to this guy AIS has told him they will cut 2G on the 21:th of this month.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/867425-ais-12call-terminating-2g-service-15th-of-december/

https://www.telegeography.com/products/commsupdate/articles/2015/07/02/final-2g-phase-out-periods-agreed-in-thailand/

According to this guy AIS has told him they will cut 2G on the 21:th of this month.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/867425-ais-12call-terminating-2g-service-15th-of-december/

Well that explains your post #5 (2G still working at present)
So what you suggested in #2 (a trip to Central Festival Mall, armed with phone and passport) to replace the SIM and even possibly get a free phone if the linked thread is accurate
Or maybe what KhunBENQ suggested in #3
Or maybe as the link I posted in #15 suggests, it may get extended AGAIN!
I shall just see what's working and what isn't, go to AIS in Central and say.......Help me please!
BTW - excuse my ignorance...is the AIS in Central the same as AIS Telewiz or re they different companies?

So what you suggested in #2 (a trip to Central Festival Mall, armed with phone and passport) to replace the SIM and even possibly get a free phone if the linked thread is accurate
I shall just see what's working and what isn't, go to AIS in Central and say.......Help me please!
BTW - excuse my ignorance...is the AIS in Central the same as AIS Telewiz or re they different companies?

The days of 2G may to be over before you land, as you already pointed out, but then, TIT, so 2G could be going for two more months.

If I was you I would go to the main AIS office in Central Festival Mall (armed with passport and old phone) and basicly say "Help me please" and see what offers they got.

Telewiz seems to be some subcompany/contractor/partner to AIS. They sell AIS SIM cards and have a limited stock of phones. Sort of a AIS convenience store.

The days of 2G may to be over before you land, as you already pointed out, but then, TIT, so 2G could be going for two more months.

If I was you I would go to the main AIS office in Central Festival Mall (armed with passport and old phone) and basicly say "Help me please" and see what offers they got.

Telewiz seems to be some subcompany/contractor/partner to AIS. They sell AIS SIM cards and have a limited stock of phones. Sort of a AIS convenience store.

thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif Unless there are any startling revelations in the meantime....that's the plan

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

2G/GSM is still up and running as of now.

Nightrider - how old is your SIM card?

I ask because i'm hearing that some people simply have to get an updated SIM and their old phones "burst into life" again. My SIM is at least 10 years old.

Nightrider - how old is your SIM card?

I ask because i'm hearing that some people simply have to get an updated SIM and their old phones "burst into life" again. My SIM is at least 10 years old.

My SIM is about 3-4 years old.

Personally I would not buy any phone thru an AIS shop. I bought a Samsung E 7 at AIS central festival in August. The phone warranty as 1 year. Last month had problems with it switching off when power down to 80 % . Took it to Samsung they kept it for a day & reckon nothing wrong. Rebooted to factory settings worked for a day then started the same problems. Took it to AIS and after waiting 50 minutes to get a service girl she informed my that warranty only 7 days. After a little go around found out that AIS give a 7 day warranty on the phone then after that they don't care as it is Samsungs problem and Samsung says talk to dealer.

Did get a hold of a very helpful gent at AIS in Bangkok who explained to me that different AIS stores and even different service staff will tell you different things when purchasing a phone. Unfortunatley when talking to him my phone shit itself so never got to the end of the story. After New Year going back to Samsung Pattaya to attempt to have it fixed. They by the way do not give a rats arse about after sales service. Tried to speak to a supervisor but was told call service centre Bangkok. If no joy this time next time i go to bangkok will get it done there.

In short be very careful when buying a " deal " from an AIS shop as it may not be as good as it seems.

Personally I would not buy any phone thru an AIS shop. I bought a Samsung E 7 at AIS central festival in August. The phone warranty as 1 year. Last month had problems with it switching off when power down to 80 % . Took it to Samsung they kept it for a day & reckon nothing wrong. Rebooted to factory settings worked for a day then started the same problems. Took it to AIS and after waiting 50 minutes to get a service girl she informed my that warranty only 7 days. After a little go around found out that AIS give a 7 day warranty on the phone then after that they don't care as it is Samsungs problem and Samsung says talk to dealer.

Did get a hold of a very helpful gent at AIS in Bangkok who explained to me that different AIS stores and even different service staff will tell you different things when purchasing a phone. Unfortunatley when talking to him my phone shit itself so never got to the end of the story. After New Year going back to Samsung Pattaya to attempt to have it fixed. They by the way do not give a rats arse about after sales service. Tried to speak to a supervisor but was told call service centre Bangkok. If no joy this time next time i go to bangkok will get it done there.

In short be very careful when buying a " deal " from an AIS shop as it may not be as good as it seems.

Point taken and thank you Baboy, however ALL I'm looking for is the cheapest phone/prepaid package that will allow me to talk and text in Thailand and that will hopefully:

Roam when I leave Thailand

Retain my credit until the next trip which may be a year away

I have tablet and laptop to take care of the "smart stuff" and all i care to carry around in Pattaya is a cheap phone - presently a Nokia 100 (cost about £8!)

The reason I started this thread is that my present Thai SIM is AIS (12Call) which I've had for years and I'd like to keep the number, and, as a secondary issue, keep the credit that's on it if possible.

If I HAVE to buy a cheap 3G phone I will, but it doesn't need to be smart, however Nightrider's comments above tell me that 2G is still working anyway!

Edited by VBF

Point taken and thank you Baboy, however ALL I'm looking for is the cheapest phone/prepaid package that will allow me to talk and text in Thailand and that will hopefully:

I have tablet and laptop to take care of the "smart stuff" and all i care to carry around in Pattaya is a cheap phone - presently a Nokia 100 (cost about £8!)

The reason I started this thread is that my present Thai SIM is AIS (12Call) which I've had for years and I'd like to keep the number, and, as a secondary issue, keep the credit that's on it if possible.

If I HAVE to buy a cheap 3G phone I will, but it doesn't need to be smart, however Nightrider's comments above tell me that 2G is still working anyway!

Although you say that all you want is a cheap phone to talk and text, the game has changed in Thailand. So many in Thailand now use the free call and text facilities of software application Line and hardly bother with the phone company phone/text traditional options. However for this one needs a smartphone.

Although you say that all you want is a cheap phone to talk and text, the game has changed in Thailand. So many in Thailand now use the free call and text facilities of software application Line and hardly bother with the phone company phone/text traditional options. However for this one needs a smartphone.

Quite so - but I and all my friends in Thailand, and hotels etc. etc. have phone numbers (I realise Line talks to these) - I was merely pointing out that all I need is a cheap phone to carry about and top up a couple of times. I don't actually need to use Line, I do use Skype and email but from the laptop/tablet I referred to above. Those can wait until I'm within WiFi range - for this particular thread, I'm concentrating on my needs for a few months in Thailand per year rather than keeping up with trends.Possibly if i was staying longer, I would install Line on my Android tablet and try it (I might anyway) but in my situation, the nut doesn't require a sledgehammer! smile.png