Ais 12call terminating 2G Service 15th of December

cigar7

AIS sent me a SMS today stating my 2g telephone service will be terminated 15th of next month and I should report to a AIS service centre prior to that that date to get a 3g SIM card. I phoned the call centre and they told me that if my phone doesn't support 3g they'll give me a new phone. It will be real pain in the _ss to transfer a 100 phone numbers.

Has anyone received a free phone? What's the make and model? Can it take photos?

Edited by cigar7

If your current phone's contacts are stored on the SIM (rather than the phone) they should be able to slurp them from the old SIM into a machine and put them on the new 3G SIM.

The free model phones they provide will vary with location and availability. The only thing they will be certain to provide is something that will make/receive voice calls and SMS text messages.

A basic decent smartphone doesn't cost much anyway.

Yes they will be able to transfer your contacts to the new SIM card. I recently did this. Don't worry!

Yes, I took mine in last month and they transferred everything to the new sim. When I started up again on the 3G service all my contacts were there. Actually before the switch my service was a bit iffy, but since making the change it's much improved.

AIS Telewiz gave me the option of exchanging my old basic (non-smart) phone for a new free phone or paying 945 baht for a new Lava smart phone. I opted for the latter and received a 1600 baht phone with 200 baht of usage on the phone when they gave it to me. Everything was transferred nicely and I could use the new phone right away after waiting about 30 minutes for Telewiz to set everything up. I'm very happy with the new phone.

Not in the slightest. Ensure all your numbers are on the SIM card and the AIS assistant will transfer all of them to the new 3G SIM card. You can also transfer them from the phone's memory to a new phone if you have bluetooth on both of the phones. There are other options too.

I had a discussion with a friend recently who also has to go get a new SIM card and had to try to explain why this new SIM card will not permit him to keep his old wind-up phone.

will True be doing the same thing ?

True already did so - their 2G service terminated a few months ago, and they gave news SIMs and phones.

Thats not true. I managed to get 2G signal (not even edge!) somewhere along from Sakon Nakhon to Nakom Panom and yes it was Truemove signal not roaming / foreign signal.

A basic decent smartphone doesn't cost much anyway.

Yes they will be able to transfer your contacts to the new SIM card. I recently did this. Don't worry!

Yes, I took mine in last month and they transferred everything to the new sim. When I started up again on the 3G service all my contacts were there. Actually before the switch my service was a bit iffy, but since making the change it's much improved.

Do I have to surrender my old Phone? My contact numbers are stored in the phone, not in the SIM, and I don't have bluetooth on the the phone. I also want to retain received messages, and sent messages. Are the messages lost?

Will they give me a new phone if I just bring in the SIM card?

Most SIM phones have the ability to transfer 'contact information' between phone memory and SIM memory. Look in the menu options of your phone.

As for your Quad-band GSM device, you'll need to look at the device specifications to see what signaling protocol or networks it supports. The mobile operator must provide 2G signaling service in order for your 2G device to operate. While 3G devices are backward compatible and can work on a 2G service, it doesn't work the other way around.

When you write, GSM device "that has a 2G card", are you writing about the SIM card, or an internal replaceable radio/modem component?

AIS Telewiz gave me the option of exchanging my old basic (non-smart) phone for a new free phone or paying 945 baht for a new Lava smart phone. I opted for the latter and received a 1600 baht phone with 200 baht of usage on the phone when they gave it to me. Everything was transferred nicely and I could use the new phone right away after waiting about 30 minutes for Telewiz to set everything up. I'm very happy with the new phone.

What model of Lava phone did you buy?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

2G has not been cut yet it seems !

I believe AIS 2g service on 900mhz band gets cut immediately either True or JAS pay the first installment due on the spectrum licences they won for that bandwidth. They have until 21st March to pay if they can find the money!