Toyota Ke-70 has play in steering & wheel off center

ClareQuilty

My old Ke-70 which I sold a while back has returned to me as a long-term loaner, because the buyer has moved away to a different part of Thailand. He asked me to take care of the car for a while, and consider buying it back in future.

The car is still going strong, and slipping back behind the wheel was like a homecoming for yours truly.. what a joy to drive with the windows open on a cool Isaan night - and no bloody tinting!

The only bad part is the car, which used to have quite tight steering, now has a huge amount of play in the steering and the wheel is off-center. Its been less than a year since I sold it, and the new owner did crash it into a curb once at moderate speed, destroying the left front tire, so I'm thinking its more likely accident-related than wear.

What sort of problems could be the cause, and what sort of costs might be expected for this kind of "front-end" repair? (also, should I consider this a major mark against repurchasing the car - I'm thinking it wold only be 25,000 to buy)

The off centre steering wheel is more than likely due to the kerbing incident and probably would be corrected by a wheel alignment that will cost next to nothing.

The play is probably due to the wear and tear of the car being old. There may be some adjustment facility on the steering box(?) or rack, if not it will need replacing if it's as bad as you say. Your tame mechanic is the one to advise you on that.

Edited by Alration

The off centre steering wheel is more than likely due to the kerbing incident and probably would be corrected by a wheel alignment that will cost next to nothing.

The play is probably due to the wear and tear of the car being old. There may be some adjustment facility on the steering box(?) or rack, if not it will need replacing if it's as bad as you say. Your tame mechanic is the one to advise you on that.

Well, I was afraid of that - the steering box or rack, which is very expensive to replace, but I do believe there are other parts which are much cheaper which can cause play in the steering, such as "tie rod ends" and other bushings and things.

I was wondering if the blow of hitting the curb mightn't have damaged those sort of parts. The thing that makes me doubt its the steering box or rack is that there was no progressive wear at all - it was tight as a drum less than a year ago when I sold it, and now its loose as a goose.

Best to check which way the other front wheel is pointing before parting with any cash. Else it will be straight back to your expert (and somewhat richer) mechanic that you have used for years.

Edited by JAS21

Quote from our OP :-

The only bad part is the car, ...

Which says it all.

Many moons ago when I was young, newly married (1st time), sprog on the way and poor I used to run bangers.

Rule number one - stick to one make and model, then you always have a 'spare'.

25000 with wonkey steeringgiggle.gif is it better than this

https://www.kaidee.com/product-112527979/

CQ pull yourself togetherwacko.pngbiggrin.png

Of course its better than that one - its here and in hand. I can't even tell what province that one is in, and you know how Kaidee is, a lot of shysters.

I took the car in today, its the tie rods and tie rod ends (bent), total about 2,000 baht for the repair, going ahead with it. Well worth it I'd say.

Anyway, how is this the fault of the car (banger)? The guy ran directly into a curb - that would bend the tie rods on any car, new or old.

25000 with wonkey steeringgiggle.gif is it better than this

https://www.kaidee.com/product-112527979/

CQ pull yourself togetherwacko.pngbiggrin.png

Of course its better than that one - its here and in hand. I can't even tell what province that one is in, and you know how Kaidee is, a lot of shysters.

I took the car in today, its the tie rods and tie rod ends (bent), total about 2,000 baht for the repair, going ahead with it. Well worth it I'd say.

Anyway, how is this the fault of the car (banger)? The guy ran directly into a curb - that would bend the tie rods on any car, new or old.

CQ Lampang it's not hard in the advert you looked at and no i don't know Kaidee is full of shysters you must be trying to buy lots of cars off there to be able to make that statementlaugh.png your now spending 2000 baht on a car you don't own according to your OP or were you telling a porky bit like all those on Kaideesmile.png

Bent tie rods don't cause play........Cause bad handling though.....biggrin.png

Google says the tie rods and tie rod ends are some of the most common causes for play in the steering, transam.. so does my mechanic. Given the onset of this problem happened suddenly at the moment of a minor accident, it sounds reasonable. Certainly the car handled quite precisely before he ran into the curb.

CQ Lampang it's not hard in the advert you looked at

your now spending 2000 baht on a car you don't own according to your OP or were you telling a porky bit like all those on Kaideesmile.png

No, the owner will pay for the repair. I'm merely considering buying the car back in future. The ads on Kaidee are in Thai, you know, so I have no idea where they're located. Its far too difficult to go looking more than about 20-30 kilometers away.

CQ Ads in Thailand in Thai bloody hell don't tell us you don't use translate or we'll all be seeing pigs,go on tell ustongue.png anyway even if it was O God 31 kms away where did i say go and look or buy it?facepalm.gif

Edited by kartman

Quote from our OP :-

The only bad part is the car, ...

Which says it all.

It doesn't say anything at all except that you are mis-quoting him deliberately in order to mock him.

The OP actually said, "The only bad part is the car, which used to have quite tight steering, now has a huge amount of play in the steering and the wheel is off-center."

Edited by Support
Discussion of moderation removed

If it has a steering box there is usually an adjustment. If it is a rack get a recon rack..

A great recommendation, I wish I'd thought of that one, oh yes, I did, yesterday...

"Posted Yesterday, 01:53

The play is probably due to the wear and tear of the car being old. There may be some adjustment facility on the steering box(?) or rack, if not it will need replacing if it's as bad as you say. "

Edited by Alration

I'm betting the idler arm has play in it if box equipped and spanked a curb - pitman arm possible too...The gear box might need some adjustment - some rack & pinions have a worm gear adjustment also.....TA is correct in that bent tie rods should not cause slack....If the tie rod end joints are very VERY loose you could get slack but they'd have to be just about falling apart and more than one involved....Make sure they check and grease the ball joints - lubricating/greasing is not done here unless specifically asked for and the shop has a grease gun.....

If - in the interim the OP was driving a rack & pinion and/or front wheel drive any steering gear/linkage set up is going to feel loose....

Edited by pgrahmm

Bent tie rods don't cause play........Cause bad handling though.....

But the force of hitting the curb hard enough to bend the tie rod could be the last straw for the (probably already worn) tie rod bush/ball joint which would cause play.

Edited by Alration

Got the car back today, ended up being about 3,000. He replaced the tie rods, & tie rod ends both inside & outside ones, plus aligned the wheels. Car drives much better, tracks well, but, while there's considerably less play play in the steering, there's still some. I may need to try to communicate to him about thus "box adjustment".

Bent tie rods don't cause play........Cause bad handling though.....biggrin.png

Google says the tie rods and tie rod ends are some of the most common causes for play in the steering, transam.. so does my mechanic. Given the onset of this problem happened suddenly at the moment of a minor accident, it sounds reasonable. Certainly the car handled quite precisely before he ran into the curb.

CQ Lampang it's not hard in the advert you looked at

your now spending 2000 baht on a car you don't own according to your OP or were you telling a porky bit like all those on Kaideesmile.png

No, the owner will pay for the repair. I'm merely considering buying the car back in future. The ads on Kaidee are in Thai, you know, so I have no idea where they're located. Its far too difficult to go looking more than about 20-30 kilometers away.

Copy and paste the place name into google maps.

The play you are still experiencing could be down to worn column bushes or bearings, worn steering column UV joints, worn rack an or pinion, or due to worn or damaged balljoints for the upright, which could be due to hitting the kerb.

Also check all the column for loose nuts and bolts or even dodgy welds.

Also.....Check how the rack is mounted....Some had a half clamp like mount clamping the rack to the frame on both sides....Sometimes these loosened or the rubber worn/old to where the rack would "swim" back and forth inside the clamps when pressure exerted creating a loose steering effect....