Thailand Open Golf, anyone been before?.

Subpar

It's a good field at Amata Springs this week, including quite a few of my favourite players (both Thai and Int'l). So I'm thinking about going up there from Pattaya one day to see them live. Anyone ever been there for this event before?. I'd like to go but is it a nightmare parking or being able to follow the players around etc.?. Any advice from those who've been before would be highly appreciated!.

I have been 3 times before.

The best days to go are Thursday and Friday when there are not so many people there.

You can get up close to the players and follow your favourites easily.

Car parking is good and plenty of it.

Have a good day and for sure make the trip.

Potters

You can get

Thanks very much for your replies people, most kind of you!. I'm keen to go, as is my Missus, and I think we'll make the trip this Thursday.

One more question please, I see the tickets are available on Thai Ticket tech but can you just buy them at the gate?.

Thanks very much for your replies people, most kind of you!. I'm keen to go, as is my Missus, and I think we'll make the trip this Thursday.

One more question please, I see the tickets are available on Thai Ticket tech but can you just buy them at the gate?.

Got mine from Thaiticketmajor........................ http://www.thaiticketmajor.com/sport/index.php?la=en

800 Baht for all 4 days.

The best days to go are Thursday and Friday when there are not so many people there.

Potters

You can get

potters, can I ask how easy it is to access the course.

Day 1 I will be driving from Chachoengsao and from Pattaya on other days

Surely, you will have a pleasant time but keep one thing in mind. You are supporting a sham event. It is by no means an open tournament. There is no qualifying and they pay a few key players appearance money to show up and make it appear to be a significant event and the legitimate open they pretend it to be. While this is par for the course in Thailand, pun intended, just remember that golf is at its core and tradition a game of integrity and character. The Japanese and Thai stakeholders the stage this event need their hands slapped for passing off a ruse instead of conducting a bona fide open golf tournament. Have fun.

Surely, you will have a pleasant time but keep one thing in mind. You are supporting a sham event. It is by no means an open tournament. There is no qualifying and they pay a few key players appearance money to show up and make it appear to be a significant event and the legitimate open they pretend it to be. While this is par for the course in Thailand, pun intended, just remember that golf is at its core and tradition a game of integrity and character. The Japanese and Thai stakeholders the stage this event need their hands slapped for passing off a ruse instead of conducting a bona fide open golf tournament. Have fun.

Not true. There are many ways to qualify for the event through order of merit of many tours and other means. There are also 6 players in it that played pre qualifying rounds.

The word OPEN means anyone can win it. If only Thais can win it would be called a Closed championship.

It is just as open an event as other countries open events.

Potters

You can get

potters, can I ask how easy it is to access the course.

Day 1 I will be driving from Chachoengsao and from Pattaya on other days

It is VERY easy to park and access the course. Last couple of years I've had 5 min walk to the gates, and that is a rare feature of any golf tournament.

^Why does there always have to be some <deleted> chime in with such a negative all-knowing statement on this forum?.

^^Thanks again.

As for it being "a sham event", I know it's the end of the season and everyone is just grabbing some Christmas money. But, some of the better players in the world will be there and this is the best chance to see them hit a ball in the flesh without leaving Thailand.

Edited by Subpar

^He has a point tho'. Your topic was somewhat derailed by people discussing an "Open" when the tournament has never actually claimed to be one.

You will enjoy yourself there as all holes are easily accessible and you can follow your chosen group all around the course. Lots of refreshment areas (as long as you like Heinekensmile.png ). Big screens in the hospitality area for when you need a break from walking. Autograph zone should you be so inclined (10 mins after your group finishes is the best time). A number of car parks on the main road outside the course with shuttle buses to get you there. Worthwhile spending a bit of time in the stand by the 17th Tee (if you can find a spec) If the wind gets up, there will be quite a few going in the water (take binoculars if you have a set).

There are also 4 available spots to qualify for 'The Open' so plenty of incentives for the lesser lights to shine on the final day. Can get tense especially if Thais are in contention for these.

Better than nothing!

As you appear to be the Fount of all Knowledge, perhaps you would be kind enough to show exactly where in the Tournament's Title, the word 'Open' is used. If you cannot, I would suggest you shut up. You need your own 'hands slapped' for passing on incorrect information and slurs on a subject on which you know nothing aboutcoffee1.gif

I will be a course marshal on thursday and friday, so if a thug comes up to you and say "no cameras, move along" it could be me....lol

Its customary to buy me at least 2 beers on your first visit to Amata Spring.....true, its written somewhere...

One more question please, I see the tickets are available on Thai Ticket tech but can you just buy them at the gate?.[/quote

As you appear to be the Fount of all Knowledge, perhaps you would be kind enough to show exactly where in the Tournament's Title, the word 'Open' is used. If you cannot, I would suggest you shut up. You need your own 'hands slapped' for passing on incorrect information and slurs on a subject on which you know nothing aboutcoffee1.gif

...................................................................................................................................................................
[error]
Yes, its called the Thailand Golf Championships......as you say, nothing about an 'open'.
Mr.subpar, yes, you can get in on the gate on thursday or friday, you can park in the public parking, and shuttle onto the course. But i think over 60's can get in free, not 100% sure about that, but i think under 16, and over 60 can get in free.

I will be a course marshal on thursday and friday, so if a thug comes up to you and say "no cameras, move along" it could be me....lol

Its customary to buy me at least 2 beers on your first visit to Amata Spring.....true, its written somewhere...

Wholeheartedly agree!clap2.gif I am booked for Thurs/Sat/Sun. R&R in Patts on Fridaythumbsup.gif

Hint....do ball spotting with the cute caddies for a few holes (can share their picnics if you get hungry!)biggrin.png

Quote: Arrowsdawdle......"keep one thing in mind. You are supporting a sham event. It is by no means an open tournament. There is no qualifying and they pay a few key players appearance money to show up and make it appear to be a significant event and the legitimate open they pretend it to be. While this is par for the course in Thailand, pun intended, just remember that golf is at its core and tradition a game of integrity and character. The Japanese and Thai stakeholders the stage this event need their hands slapped for passing off a ruse instead of conducting a bona fide open golf tournament."

Field Composition :

Category 1
Asian Tour – 90 Players
Category 2
The leading players from OWGR as of Nov 23rd – 11 Players
Category 3
The leading Thai Player on the Asian Tour Order of Merit (Non Otherwise Exempt) at the close of AT entries – 1 Player
Category 4
The leading Thai Player in the OWGR (Non otherwise exempt) at the close of AT entries – 1 Player
Category 5
Winner of the Asia Pacific Amateur Championship – 1 Player
Category 6
Runner – Up in the Asia Pacific Amateur Championship – 1 Player
Category 7
Leading players from the Sunshine Tour Categories – 7 Players (As of Nov 23rd)
Category 8
Committee Invitations – 8 Players
Category 9
Qualifying Places – 6 Players

Total 126 Players

So, arrowsdawdle....8 Committee Invitations? Hardly the best ruse those dastardly Thais and Japs have ever carried out! eh?cheesy.gif

Quote: Arrowsdawdle......"keep one thing in mind. You are supporting a sham event. It is by no means an open tournament. There is no qualifying and they pay a few key players appearance money to show up and make it appear to be a significant event and the legitimate open they pretend it to be. While this is par for the course in Thailand, pun intended, just remember that golf is at its core and tradition a game of integrity and character. The Japanese and Thai stakeholders the stage this event need their hands slapped for passing off a ruse instead of conducting a bona fide open golf tournament."

Field Composition :

Category 1

Asian Tour – 90 Players

Category 2

The leading players from OWGR as of Nov 23rd – 11 Players

Category 3

The leading Thai Player on the Asian Tour Order of Merit (Non Otherwise Exempt) at the close of AT entries – 1 Player

Category 4

The leading Thai Player in the OWGR (Non otherwise exempt) at the close of AT entries – 1 Player

Category 5

Winner of the Asia Pacific Amateur Championship – 1 Player

Category 6

Runner – Up in the Asia Pacific Amateur Championship – 1 Player

Category 7

Leading players from the Sunshine Tour Categories – 7 Players (As of Nov 23rd)

Category 8

Committee Invitations – 8 Players

Category 9

Qualifying Places – 6 Players

Total 126 Players

So, arrowsdawdle....8 Committee Invitations? Hardly the best ruse those dastardly Thais and Japs have ever carried out! eh?cheesy.gif

Expensive ruse @ US$ 1,000,000

Just seen that Jonathan Moore is here again (12:40 off the tenth). Not well known but met him last year when he picked up one of the four 'Open' spots. A really nice guy who can hit great iron shots. Could be worth following if the bigger groups get too busythumbsup.gif

Wholeheartedly agree!clap2.gif I am booked for Thurs/Sat/Sun. R&R in Patts on Fridaythumbsup.gif

Hint....do ball spotting with the cute caddies for a few holes (can share their picnics if you get hungry!)biggrin.png

We got free food and drinks anyway mate....had a great time. Now get to play it for free in a few weeks...bargain!

Its 10,500 baht to play there, and only if you know a member.

I marshalled the Lee Westward and Martin Kaymer match.post-189204-0-94365000-1450019400_thumb.