a very sad depressing situation , its not a myth.

dirtycash

i was with a very good thai friend last week in bkk around sukumvit just at the junction heading towards soi cowboy there are a lot of street beggers. some of these children had no arms or were blinded intentionally. my friend told me that a lot of them are kidnapped by mafia gangs and sold and made to beg. i knew there was some truth in it but my friend assured me it is very real situation.

dear god how can anyone be so cruel . and surely the police can do something about this ? or any charitable organisations ?

Edited by dirtycash

Many of the children are not Thai.

Many of the woman clutching a baby are not their birth mothers.

It's my understanding that some of it is organised.

My general rule with charity in Thailand is to observe what and who the Thai people give to as that is a fair indicator who is genuine, and who is less deserving. Not fool proof, but a usefull guide.

I've never been to India, but apparently, the industry is rife there.

And yes, it's sad, very sad - at so many levels.

not saying its not true but just because someone says it is doesnt mean it is. the beggars that do the best that Ive seen are actually not blind or crippled to the extent they couldnt do a normal job, they just act the part, end of the day they stand up get in their car and go home

First impressions are carefully tailored to ensure maximum sympathy, horror, revulsion and the maximum payout in the minimum time.

Every financial enterprise along the pavements of Sukhumvit is monitored, controlled and heavily taxed by the police. Illegal activities such as begging, even more so. If the police wanted to remove them, they would be gone in an instant. If the police let them stay, then the police have to be paid and the police will ensure no unregulated beggars (competition) are allowed in.

Your final comment leads me to believe that you believe the police in Thailand are interested in preventing child abuse. The police in this country fill a very different role than that in the West. Child abuse is not one of their top priorities unless it is brought to their attention by a community or community leader and they are forced to do something.

Edited by Briggsy

My general rule with charity in Thailand is to observe what and who the Thai people give to as that is a fair indicator who is genuine, and who is less deserving. Not fool proof, but a usefull guide.

It is very sad and we see many of these sorry souls in all countries. Would be great if we could wave a magic wand and put the world to rights, but we can`t and just have to let most of this wash over our heads.

It dose happen, there used to be a man in walking Street in pattaya slightly retarded or something like that but always had a baby with him for about 5 years so was clearly not the same baby, and you always see those 5 years old girls who come up 2 you and put a bracelet round your arm and say 20b,but the thing is they always have the same haircut(they must think it is maximum cuteness) so must be gangs who control them

Just curious has anyone seen something like this before I only saw it once and about 10 years ago, I was in a bar once and these Thais came running in the bars with massive nets, and started to try to catch all the kids who was beging or selling things, they got one and chucked him in the back of a pick up truck and drove of,i think they was working for the government or something but I always wonder what happened to the kid they got, I hope his handler didn't just buy him back and he now has a better life

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Edited by juice777

It is very sad and we see many of these sorry souls in all countries. Would be great if we could wave a magic wand and put the world to rights, but we can`t and just have to let most of this wash over our heads.

Quite some merit in what you say and yes, it's difficult to stay charitable when so many have so much less then we take for granted ... and I don't just mean money ... health, eyesight etc come to mind.

We try and visit the orphanages at least once a year and give what we can. We either ring ahead and buy stuff or simply give money.

It's a worthy cause and seems to be 'above board'.

http://www.phayathaibabieshome.go.th/en/map.php

It's simply believing, you can't give everything, but you can usually give something to a worthy cause.

It's identifying that worthy cause that sometimes becomes the issue.

Years ago in front of a 7-11 in Chiang Rai i watched a Thai woman , a young man about fourteen who looked as if his leg was broken and a young child begging for money. I watched these three for every night for about a week from a distance for about three hours. Every few hours the woman would get up walk around the corner and disappear. The young man with the supposed broken leg would sometimes follow her. one night i finally caught them handing over there pot full of money to a Thai guy. Many foreigners were giving them 100 baht at a time and as a few bills were put in the pot the woman would move the money to her bag. It looked liked within those few hours they were getting a few thousand baht just in those few hours. great scam! i never gave them a single baht because i smelled a rat the moment i first saw them.

Very likely the kids begging late night on Suk are organized and the collection goes to adults, parents or a gang, and little comes back to them. So giving to them means giving to criminals.

But consider the alternative. If a kid doesn't make X a night she or he's likely going to get beat up. And they do occasionally treat themselves with what they make, buying candy and stuff from a 7/11. So, I figure giving a little doesn't hurt if it makes even a tiny difference to a shitty life no kid should ever have to endure.

And to those farangs that I see now and then sitting the kids down to a meal on the street or a McDs, take a bow, you have a good heart.

Do people on here think those Thai people who walk round the bars asking for money for a children's home or something is a scam

I was never sure

I think some people here think pretty much everything in Thailand is a scam.

I saw that in Cambodia. Kids or even grown ups with no arms. But it was their parents idea in the first place.

.... and did you have a problem with that?

What do you mean?

That landmine victims were selling goods to tourists....

Sorry to say the only people who care about the poor in Thailand are foreigners. Not one major charity that operates in Thailand is Thai in origin. Thai charities are generally scams for the CEO to pull big salaries.

Many charities, Thai or not, are generally scams with CEOs and other top brass skimming the cream off the top for themselves. Swanky offices, generous payments and expense accounts, etc. Fact is, once you hand over the cash to any organisation/charity, you have absolutely NO control over what happens to it or who gets it after that.

If I give to beggers, I usually give them food. At least then, they have something that the others can't take from them.

Do people on here think those Thai people who walk round the bars asking for money for a children's home or something is a scam

I was never sure

I think some people here think pretty much everything in Thailand is a scam.

In the bar world it might be...

A few years back I was planning a trip to India. I had heard about the enormous begging problem there (it is) so I went to my local supermarket and bought a kilo of wrapped boiled sweets. I would give these to kids in lieu of money. One day I was in a train in rural India when it stopped at a station. A couple got on accompanied by a child about 4 years old. This kid was blind. The parents (?) remained at the carriage end and voice guided him in my direction.

When he stopped in front of me I gave him a sweet. This puzzled him as I don't suppose he had felt anything like it before. I helped him unwrap the sweet and popped it into his mouth. You should have seen the look of delight on his face. I gave him a handfull of sweets and he returned to his parents. They got off the train as it was about to pull out.

The last I saw of them was the 'parents' beating the crap out of the child and the handfull of sweets lay scattered all over the station platform.

I vowed never to give anything to a beggar again.

Fortunately up here in Isaan you don't see many beggars, at least not where I live.