Poster of the Year Nominations -- Start Nominating

Fabricus

OP is scarce and I am trying to count them on my phone. Last time I looked on the PC we had 3000 odd views and a dozen or so nominations. Not sure how many have accepted yet?

I think the OP is 'aving a laff'

So am I. Can't take this stuff too seriously. We are getting a few nominations, that is a start. Last years poty was a bloodbath. Check it out.

I was there.

• Replies 430
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

OP is scarce and I am trying to count them on my phone. Last time I looked on the PC we had 3000 odd views and a dozen or so nominations. Not sure how many have accepted yet?

So am I. Can't take this stuff too seriously. We are getting a few nominations, that is a start. Last years poty was a bloodbath. Check it out.

I was there.

Yeah, I remember. Sorry that comment wasn't directed specifically towards you.

I thought the whole thing was meant to be a bit of fun.

I thought the whole thing was meant to be a bit of fun.

There are those who need a POTY badly.

POTY 2015 Updates: December 10

1. Nominee Maintenance

I see that the most recent list of nominees precluded NancyL and CanarySun. At some point a Forum Veteran needs to re-read this thread to make sure no one has been overlooked. I would like to appoint Colonel Sipi to the role of Nominee Maintenance Manager.

2. Operation Prune

Operation Prune will be a crucial part of this monumental endeavor. It will be the stage at which the 20 most promising candidates are selected from Colonel Sipi's list of nominees. The process will need to be undertaken with care and military-style precision. Planning is of essence! I encourage General VillageFarang to give thought to this important matter.

3. Operation Prune: Methodology

This is something I aim to expand on over the coming days. My vision is one that embraces a multicultural and ethnically diverse pool of candidates. I would like to see more LGBT individuals in the running, for example. I would love to see more women, a handful of Syrian refugees and a contingent of African Americans. My personal view is that these POTY contests are WASP-dominated.

4. Press and Media Enquiries

It is inevitable that the world's press (and perhaps a few interested parties here on TV) will wish to know how Operation Prune was conducted. I hereby appoint Captain Crab as POTY 2015's Official Spokesperson. He's TV's resident tweet master and a maestro of 140-character minimalism. He has the savoir faire and statesmanlike qualities needed for the task.

5. Further Updates

Further updates will be released here on TV within the next 48 hours. Thank you for your continued support.

POTY 2015 Updates: December 10
1. Nominee Maintenance
I see that the most recent list of nominees precluded NancyL and CanarySun. At some point a Forum Veteran needs to re-read this thread to make sure no one has been overlooked. I would like to appoint Colonel Sipi to the role of Nominee Maintenance Manager.
2. Operation Prune
Operation Prune will be a crucial part of this monumental endeavor. It will be the stage at which the 20 most promising candidates are selected from Colonel Sipi's list of nominees. The process will need to be undertaken with care and military-style precision. Planning is of essence! I encourage General VillageFarang to give thought to this important matter.
3. Operation Prune: Methodology
This is something I aim to expand on over the coming days. My vision is one that embraces a multicultural and ethnically diverse pool of candidates. I would like to see more LGBT individuals in the running, for example. I would love to see more women, a handful of Syrian refugees and a contingent of African Americans. My personal view is that these POTY contests are WASP-dominated.
4. Press and Media Enquiries
It is inevitable that the world's press (and perhaps a few interested parties here on TV) will wish to know how Operation Prune was conducted. I hereby appoint Captain Crab as POTY 2015's Official Spokesperson. He's TV's resident tweet master and a maestro of 140-character minimalism. He has the savoir faire and statesmanlike qualities needed for the task.
5. Further Updates
Further updates will be released here on TV within the next 48 hours. Thank you for your continued support.

How can anyone be overlooked if they haven't been nominated?

Good luck Sipi only a quarter of a million names to sift through laugh.png

I agree to help pick the nominations off this thread, obviously.

But that is about as far as my attention span and phone allow for now.

Personally I couldn't name a dozen members from memory, so if we go beyond 20 nominees who accept, I will quietly poor a coffee and watch from a distance.

I will add because some of us have made multiple nominations it might make sense for us to mention the one or two that we feel are MOST deserving based on MERIT.

In my case, those TWO names are

NancyL

(the runner up last year)

and

Morch

(we're so lucky to have him here actively posting, what did we do to deserve it)

Edited by Jingthing

Why bother seeking active acceptance?

It's more sensible to just honor requests to opt out and assume if you don't hear anything, they're game for the contest.

Done. All nominees are in unless they request otherwise.

I don't really get the acceptance thing - it's about people saying who's posts they enjoy, not electing someone to office - but I guess if someone really doesn't want to be involved, it doesn't hurt to respect that.

They should at least be informed personally in case they don't realize they have been nominated. I don't like people talking about me publicly behind my back.

I don't really get the acceptance thing - it's about people saying who's posts they enjoy, not electing someone to office - but I guess if someone really doesn't want to be involved, it doesn't hurt to respect that.

They should at least be informed personally in case they don't realize they have been nominated. I don't like people talking about me publicly behind my back.

I'm sure they only say nice things.

I'm sure they only say nice things.
Ummm, nope.

Anyway, once we get our nominees I will pm each of them to let them know. I am sure they will be delighted.

With regard to judging, I would recommend one judge only. That person would need to be acquainted with all chosen contestants. The judge would need to understand a diversity of threads.

See how it works & learn from your experience for next year.

That's yet another reason that I still STRONGLY feel the "pruning" should be for the management only. Collectively they read ALL the threads. So get some of them together and you've got something reasonably OBJECTIVE from a group of people who actually know SOMETHING about a HUGE breadth of members. Compare to a random group of members who don't even know many of these names. There may be some star in the Phuket forum ... if you don't have someone who frequents that forum "pruning" you wouldn't know jack about it.

There is no perfection possible ... just talking about relatively BETTER.

Edited by Jingthing

I'm pretty sure the 'management' don't read every thread. Like most busy forums, they'll just react to reports and put out fires here and there. They won't have time to read everything - and certainly won't have time to involve themselves in something this petty.

With regard to judging, I would recommend one judge only. That person would need to be acquainted with all chosen contestants. The judge would need to understand a diversity of threads.

See how it works & learn from your experience for next year.

There is no judge Fang. It goes to a public vote.