Plastic-bag-mania in 7-11

Bezpoleznyak

All that is working in Uk is that the supermarket chains already obscene profits are boosted by the revenue from plastic bags

Well done.............................facepalm.gif

Just so happens all the money raised by the supermarkets in the UK for selling plastic bags is going to charity.

Yeah sure, who checks?

The plastic bag supermarket 5p charity commission, who else would you expect ?

Nice One cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OP.....time for some empirical testing....dress up in a plastic bag costume and go into the store and see if they try to put you in another plastic bag......it's the only way to know for sure....

Sounds like a good idea you could make a round of all the 7/11 stores. Sadly they would laugh at the idea and retain the status quo. Even if you wore a sign around your neck stating "no more plastic bags" in 10 languages it would have little bearing on things. The robots are not coming they are already here. Programmers wanted!!

Are convenience store chain employees where you're from known for their free-thinking ways?

You want individuality? Don't shop at a corporate chain.

I refuse them. I wondered if other people noticed this wastefulness! They all laugh at me as I walk out with 4-5 items and no bag. Just walking across the street. Im also the guy who takes all the condiment packs out of the fast food bags and puts them back on the counter as I dont want them. (Leave them on the table and staff throws them out!). ......I also put the straw back when I buy a beer and they try to force it on me for some reason...

I refuse them. I wondered if other people noticed this wastefulness! They all laugh at me as I walk out with 4-5 items and no bag. Just walking across the street. Im also the guy who takes all the condiment packs out of the fast food bags and puts them back on the counter as I dont want them. (Leave them on the table and staff throws them out!). ......I also put the straw back when I buy a beer and they try to force it on me for some reason...

They're laughing because they throw your bag right in the trash.

A better solution than some nanny-state bag tax is to sort the trash by buoyancy, skim it, and incinerate the skim at high trmperature to generate electricity.

In the UK they have now caught on to recycling in many Supermarkets,which is: bring your own lifetime bag,or bring your own plastic bag, or pay 5p per new plastic bag!

Seems there is no signs in Thailand of recycling, as yet!

Edited by MAJIC

Charge for them (Plastic Bags) and buy a shopping bag.....wait, did'nt we do that 20 years ago....... it's working in the UK.....

All that is working in Uk is that the supermarket chains already obscene profits are boosted by the revenue from plastic bags

Well done.............................facepalm.gif

What would work is if these profit hungry supermarkets gave you money back for every one of their plastic bags you returned

on your next vist, wouldn't see plastic bags littering the roads/pavements then, BUT not profitable is it, so not going to happen

is it?

What is happening now is that the supermarkets no longer have to pay for the bags and are in fact making money from you and

me for using them, they are more than happy to supply them at a profit.

Have to agree with you Impulse this plastic bag nonsense pops up every few weeks, boring.

It's not about profits for Supermarkets, i.e bring your own lifetime bag/or plastic bag and the Supermarket get nothing,...ecology is the key word!

All the OP has to do is take his own plastic bags, hemp sacks, or whatever he'd prefer, and tell the 7-11 staff to put his items in it.

In places like Australia, when you go to the bottle shop, they don't give out any plastic bags at all. If they have any spare, you might get a dirty old cardboard box, or you might have to carry the goods around with nothing to put them in. Add to that the sky rocketing cost of electricity, so as to subsidise all those unproductive wind farms, showers that emit tiny jets of water, half-flushing toilets, horrid fluorescent light bulbs, etc, etc.

I'm glad that the tree-hugging eco-nazis that rule over us in the west haven't got their way here, yet.

When plastic bags blow into your house do you just leave it there or pickup somebody elses lazinesss.In Australia we had to be educated the hard way as people will not change their lazy habits unless forced to.I,for one are thankful for this as it makes for a cleaner enviroment.

All the OP has to do is take his own plastic bags, hemp sacks, or whatever he'd prefer, and tell the 7-11 staff to put his items in it.

In places like Australia, when you go to the bottle shop, they don't give out any plastic bags at all. If they have any spare, you might get a dirty old cardboard box, or you might have to carry the goods around with nothing to put them in. Add to that the sky rocketing cost of electricity, so as to subsidise all those unproductive wind farms, showers that emit tiny jets of water, half-flushing toilets, horrid fluorescent light bulbs, etc, etc.

I'm glad that the tree-hugging eco-nazis that rule over us in the west haven't got their way here, yet.

Careless people like you are the reason "Eco Nazis" are required in today's world.

Did you know that the largest percentage of plastic garbage floating in the Pacific Ocean comes from SE Asia?...and there is a huge island of it out there.

attachicon.gif01 plastic.jpg

That's actually a photo of the debris caused by the 2011 Japanese tsunami.

True.

The island of plastic bags in the pacific is actually the size of Texas, or so the eco-zealots tell us. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Pacific_garbage_patch.

Anyway, who cares, the Pacific is a big place, and the North Pacific Gyre, a rotating current of water, keeps all trash in a place where nobody ever goes.

Eco-obsessives get on my nerves - while they bang on to all of us about how frugal we should be, most of them fly around in planes, wilfully polluting the atmosphere with all those greenhouse gases. They should walk or cycle everywhere - bunch of hypocrites.

So you don't care about the children's future.Once upon a time there was no plastic in the ocean but now it just gets bigger and bigger and then breaks down and enters the food chain.You are an orstrich if you think you can avoid pollution just because it is not in your backyard.

Seems there is no signs in Thailand of recycling, as yet!

I wonder what those trash guys parked in front of my apartment for hours each night are doing with the garbage they spread all over the street, repacking it into separate bags.

Or why the security and maintenance at my apartment separate all recyclables before the trash even makes it to the street.

If they can make half a baht, they recycle it.

They're so thin and cheap, it would take me around a year of stops in a 7-11 to collect a kg of plastic bags. Hardly an environmental tragedy considering I use the same amount of petroleum driving a few miles.

The plastic bags aren't the issue. It's the fact that I can walk 500 meters on a crowded street and not see a single waste bin to toss them. I deplore the local habit of just tossing them anywhere, but I can certainly understand why they'd be reluctant to carry a sugar/ketchup coated plastic bag all the way to the next bin.

It is part of an environmental tragedy. Everything in Thailand is put into these bags amounting to a huge amount. southeast Asia, India, and China are the largest per capita plastic abusers.

The plastic is an environmental issue!

The tragedy isn't the plastic used. That's just petroleum, and you used 1000x as much to fly to Thailand as you'd use in a year of eating at 7-11 for every meal (if you could survive that long on 7-11 food).

Not to mention, that plastic bottle from your drinking water probably weighs as much as 10 of the bags they put the bottle in.

The tragedy is in the poor disposal practices, which are not unique to those countries. Just more in your face because it costs money to actually bury or burn something to give the appearance that it's handled. SEA, India and China just have a whole different set of economic drivers. You get all the "environmental responsibility" your people are willing to pay for... In developing countries, they've got less $$$ to pay.

Well just chekout Beijing the last few days and the ability to get clean water in Indian cities.As usual people wake up when it's too late and the damage is done.Most of it is laziness by us but mother nature is not so forgiving.

They're so thin and cheap, it would take me around a year of stops in a 7-11 to collect a kg of plastic bags. Hardly an environmental tragedy considering I use the same amount of petroleum driving a few miles.

The plastic bags aren't the issue. It's the fact that I can walk 500 meters on a crowded street and not see a single waste bin to toss them. I deplore the local habit of just tossing them anywhere, but I can certainly understand why they'd be reluctant to carry a sugar/ketchup coated plastic bag all the way to the next bin.

No bins means a job for someone to sweep the trash up.

55,if only that was true.

I don't understand how so many people are so Lazy, that they would rather complan than bring there own bags. I brought a bunch of bags from California, and I use them when ever I go shopping, I have many that are cooler bags perfert for that cold milk or butter, to carry home without it melting all over the place. also great for carrying your own wine or beer out to a restaurant.

I have one cooler bag on wheels for chicken,fish,etc and another open basket on wheels for the vegy's.The missus thought we would be laughed at but better than plastic bags cutting into your fingers.The old girls down the market were impressed and rekon i was a smart farang as if i had invented the wheel.

No bins means a job for someone to sweep the trash up.

In China, my coworkers explained that's a real phenomena called the "iron rice bowl". (iron may not be the best translation) I also used to marvel at ladies sweeping perfectly clean streets for hours- because that was their job. (On other days, they'd sweep up huge piles of leaves or trash from the same street)

It wouldn't surprise me that there's a little of that Chinese methodology here in Thailand...

What piss's me off is after sweeping the leaves they then burn them,or should i say,just make smoke.Is it to hard to dig a hole in the garden and bury them.

One reason I've heard is b/c back in the day everything was wrapped in banana leaves, so Thais think every package is biodegradable. But more likely than that is they're just largely uneducated on the matter.

If I dont need a bag, I just tell the salesperson just that.

Not only in Thailand, but anywhere in the planet I happen to shop at.

And... I ain't educated even, Sir.

Good point. It falls on the customer too.

OP.....time for some empirical testing....dress up in a plastic bag costume and go into the store and see if they try to put you in another plastic bag......it's the only way to know for sure....

Sounds like a good idea you could make a round of all the 7/11 stores. Sadly they would laugh at the idea and retain the status quo. Even if you wore a sign around your neck stating "no more plastic bags" in 10 languages it would have little bearing on things. The robots are not coming they are already here. Programmers wanted!!

Actually you only need one language,Thai.They seem to understand it out my way.

I just say, "no bag" and put it in my backpack. If i don't have my backpack, i get a bag.

But why on Earth would I say "no bag" when I'm buying a 250 ml juice? Who needs a bag for a 250 ml juice? The size of the bag is the same as the size of the juice! It's bunk! They put a 10 bath sun-flower kernels in a bag! EVERYTHING! I don't need a bag for that at all! Can't they figure out that's ridiculous? What will I do with that tiny bag?

Can't you figure out how to say no bag in Thai,to give the poor checkout person some chance of reading your obvious superior brain.

I carry a couple of large white plasic bags that I've had for 5 years, they've been used in Tescos in Thailand and the Uk, I like continuety ... Bit of a hygene risk now, I must wash them this week. I also carry a lighter one with me, often when I hand it to the assistant she chucks it in the bin for which I get a sick pleasure reprimanding her for. Great fun I have ... I must get out more.

people like you discredit us all......When I come the next day everyone thinks the next weirdo comes......Instead of reprimanding he for doing her job proper and trash the old dirty bags, you could use them as rubbish bags or buy some real fabric bag.

it would seem you are easily discredited.

Makro manage very well without plastic bags.

I got a T-shirt made saying I don't like plastic' as saying it in Thai doesn't seem to make much impression. I have to gibber and point a bit to get my point across all the same. Straws with beer? Same thing in 7/11's in Kuala Lumpur. so probably company policy world wide. Best way to get very drunk.

I always grab my stuff before they can get it into a plastic bag, with a smile of course.

I am just back from a trip to Hong Kong, and I can tell you that 7/11 (and other shops) there will not give you a plastic bag, unless you want to pay for it, and every body seems to manage ok.

yes, a straw with a 7 baht water is a bit unnecessary

The Thais think putting your lips on a plastic bottle is unsanitary.

In years past my GF would always wipe the tableware and dishes when we ate out. It shows they don't/didn't trust the cleanliness of things. Not such a bad thing.

http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2013/06/02/bangkoks-bad-habit-plastic-bags

Everyone in rural Thailand is becoming increasingly aware of environmental degradation and climate change. In one way or another everyone's livelihood depends on the weather. Declining plastic bags is an excellent way to help raise awareness of these concerns.

To the guy who posted that plastic bags weren't a big deal because it takes 'x' number of bags to equal a kilogram of plastic, multiply the average number of bags used per person in Thailand (8) by the number of people (76 million). That's over 608 million plastic bags used per day. Still think it's not a problem?

Makro manage very well without plastic bags.

I got a T-shirt made saying I don't like plastic' as saying it in Thai doesn't seem to make much impression. I have to gibber and point a bit to get my point across all the same. Straws with beer? Same thing in 7/11's in Kuala Lumpur. so probably company policy world wide. Best way to get very drunk.

I always grab my stuff before they can get it into a plastic bag, with a smile of course.

I am just back from a trip to Hong Kong, and I can tell you that 7/11 (and other shops) there will not give you a plastic bag, unless you want to pay for it, and every body seems to manage ok.

That's true. I can't recall any country out of 15 I've been to where they give you a plastic bag. In Indonesia they ask you. In China they don't give it.

It's been 15 years since I was last here. Don't know how many governments ago that was but everything I remember is still the same. You buy a can of coke and they put it a bag. They need a calculator for the simplest transactions; and then the slips of paper. Everywhere I go I get a slip of paper to keep up with. First the departure slip at the airport,then cash slips for eating,parking the motorbike, I get 2 receipts at alot of places when I pay, don't know why ,because I always pay cash and it's usually a small bill.And then the signed copies of my passport.It's all trash.Thailand must have a strong garbage union.