Four killed and one injured in a car race accident in Thailand

webfact

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the solution is to pay the drivers by the day instead of on a commission basis.

Nothing will be done about it obviously.

Rip to the innocent victims

It isn't about pay/money it is all about mindset and the mentality of these drivers.

Untrained, uncaring bunch of morons.

Both Justaphase and you have valid points. But I side more with the prior because they are in fact pushed to deliver passengers "on time" and then return (once or twice) with another load in a single day. Has a big effect on them and how they drive. True, most are still not worthy of carrying license after what should be a heavy set of (regular) testing and coursework, but changing to a day rate would help.

Like many other posts here, I will not hire them ever again.

Appalling ! A sad tragic death for the two lady passengers, who must have been absolutely terrified while the three vicious monkeys in the front seat flippantly gambled with their lives.

I think they were having a nap. I was absolutely terrified in those vans several times while the Thais were all napping or sleeping.

Don't use the vans anymore. Better take a bus or plane and be safe('r).

Edited by frimu

My sincere Condolences to the family of the two passengers,,Good riddance to the driver and his helper,(wasn't helping much).

If the Government doesn't grow a pair soon and doesn't do anything about the drivers of people carriers it wont be safe to go on the road ,,,It's already pretty bad,,,Gun carrying/Knife wielding/Racing/Mafia standover antics/No respect for the law and other drivers/They think that the can do anything and drive anywhere,,,Worse than criminals,,,One word ,Scum,

With the technology we have, wonder why the government can't install a speed limiter or require these privately own vans but have a public license to install one at their cost if they were to get an operating license.

It's about 50 years it's obligatory in buses more than 9 seats, coaches and trucks more than 3,5 tons in Europe ;

Thailand is still in dark age 1zgarz5.gif

post-102759-0-97684300-1449631465_thumb.

And now it's numeric

post-102759-0-27488300-1449631431_thumb.

You would think the passengers would protest and stop this behavior. Or at least video it and put it online!

You would think the passengers wear their seat belts . . .

In most of these vans the seat belts have been made inaccessible for some reason.

I'm always checking my rear view mirrors for these morons, and for the other morons, too.

But don't forget not to take your eyes off the road in front of you as to avoid a head on collision with the idiots driving down the wrong way of the road...

My heads on a swivel stick, metaphorically speaking, when I ride here. Thanks for the advice.

i got conned the first time at Ekkamai, bus station, a ticket tout waiting for you, i paid my money, go through and there was a mini bus waiting, ok,(not expecting that) so i get in and all the seat belts were tied up and knotted, but i untied mine and put it on usual crazy driver when we got to Pattaya the mini bus did not go to the bus station, but dropped me off and there was another guy wanting 300 baht to take me to my hotel, (no chance) i had to cross a multi lane highway to walk to the bus station, managed to stop a baht bus and went all the way for 100, got a "proper" bus on the return, air con, loads of leg roon, luxury for 113 baht, (mini bus 120) so my message to all is, take the air con bus everytime. r.i.p. to the innocent victims

And to think we actually pay these guys to take us places! I hope they families Sue the company of the driver for huge amounts in damages. RIP to the poor souls that trusted their lives to that man and that company

I wouldn't get in a mini bus if they paid me

I did once. Once was enough.

I'm always checking my rear view mirrors for these morons, and for the other morons, too.

You must be checking your rear view mirror often then ... what about keeping your eye on the road?

I do check my mirror often, and I keep my eyes on the road in front of me too, and I keep people away from me as much as possible, even if it means pulling over for the mentally impaired to pass. I always leave myself an out and I go slow and stay to the left. If you follow my advice, you might just survive. Maybe...

And Thailand is NOT serious about addressing the issue of traffic safety. I am not sure I have ever been in a country that is less serious about traffic safety. The so called police do not engage in traffic safety. I just spent 10 hours on the road yesterday, driving over 700 km, and not once did I see a highway patrol car, except at one of those ridiculous traffic stops, where who knows what is accomplished, if anything. One thing I do know for sure. Those stops are NOT about traffic safety.

Not once did I see anyone pulled over for drunk driving, speeding, reckless driving, going 50kph in the fast lane, cutting other cars off when entering onto a highway at slow speed, etc, etc. Not once. How do you label yourself as a serious nation, when you do not take the safety of your citizens seriously? How do you label yourself the Royal Thai Police, if you are not willing to do real police work?

This carnage will continue, and eventually Thailand will overtake Libya, to take over the number one spot as the most traffic fatalities in the world, per capita. Number one. Currently number two. Not a proud accomplishment. Congratulations to the current administration for doing NOTHING about this enormous problem. Congratulations for doing nothing to reform the police, nor protect the people.

Edited by spidermike007

It reminds me of America and its cavalier attitude to firearms and reluctance to arrest its horrendous death by gun toll. Likewise it seems the Thais have a cultural reluctance to do anything about its appalling road toll. Quite simple for both countries to dramatically bring down the fatality count but when you have idiots in charge little will change.

Those white refrigerators on wheels always have a buddha altar on the front dash to ward of misfortune....so what possibly could have gone wrong??

Of course, the driver of the other van immediately stopped, rendered aid to the injured, and assisted police with their investigation....surely.

All minivan driver drive by some reason as crazy so here is nothing special or strange !!!
Ones I come from Vientiane from visa trip and ask from driver why he driving all time fast as crazy, all passenger was scared and screamed some times, the drivers answer was that he are so tired that if he drive slow he falling to sleep. Mentally sick and selfish person only do like this !!!

Last Monday, 5th Dec, I went to BKK from Nong Mon (Bangsaen) to meet a friend flying in.

The driver was not reckless in any way and didn't speed.

Time taken 1hr 20 mins....

The return trip was entirely different, speeding, changing lanes all the time.

When the Thais in the van started complaining to him he didn't take any notice.

Even when photo's of him were taken.

Return time to Nong Mon, 46 mins!

He was gone before I could get his van number.

It was a Sriracha tours van number 9901 but I didn't get the second part.

There are no big blue buses got to either Pattaya etc or Rayong any more, they changed to vans a long time ago

So we don't get a choice now, it's got to be the van.

Yet another reason not to use them. The only exception I make is from Future Rangsit to the Victory Monument when returning by bus from up country. They cannot get up to suicide speed on that route and it is a lot quicker than staying on the bus to Morchit.

You would think the passengers would protest and stop this behavior. Or at least video it and put it online!

You would think the passengers wear their seat belts . . .

The drivers remove them. The only seat with a belt is shotgun.

Maybe the government should start considering new criminal laws with serious jail time for reckless and DUI driving that especially results in injury, instead of the usual slap on the wriest of a few thousand baht fine... and maybe also start confiscating vehicles regardless of who the owner the vehicle is registered, too...

Edited by jukai888

And Thailand is NOT serious about addressing the issue of traffic safety. I am not sure I have ever been in a country that is less serious about traffic safety. The so called police do not engage in traffic safety. I just spent 10 hours on the road yesterday, driving over 700 km, and not once did I see a highway patrol car, except at one of those ridiculous traffic stops, where who knows what is accomplished, if anything. One thing I do know for sure. Those stops are NOT about traffic safety.

Not once did I see anyone pulled over for drunk driving, speeding, reckless driving, going 50kph in the fast lane, cutting other cars off when entering onto a highway at slow speed, etc, etc. Not once. How do you label yourself as a serious nation, when you do not take the safety of your citizens seriously? How do you label yourself the Royal Thai Police, if you are not willing to do real police work?

This carnage will continue, and eventually Thailand will overtake Libya, to take over the number one spot as the most traffic fatalities in the world, per capita. Number one. Currently number two. Not a proud accomplishment. Congratulations to the current administration for doing NOTHING about this enormous problem. Congratulations for doing nothing to reform the police, nor protect the people.

You mean to say that Thailand may actually become the REAL HUB of something? Say it isn't so!

It reminds me of America and its cavalier attitude to firearms and reluctance to arrest its horrendous death by gun toll. Likewise it seems the Thais have a cultural reluctance to do anything about its appalling road toll. Quite simple for both countries to dramatically bring down the fatality count but when you have idiots in charge little will change.

The one obvious difference is the Thai people did not elect the people in charge like the morons do at the other place.

Mad at working for the man.....so time to speed

Mad at living at home.....so time to speed

Mad at gf telling you to get a job....so time to speed

Mad at having no money.....so time to speed

Mad at Hollywood for showing off billions.....so time to speed

Prison 23/7.....so speed during your one hour of freedom

and then you die.....

Exactly. And when I see a reckless or speeding driver coming, I get out of the way. Better when they're in front of me. This is a daily occurrence in Phuket along with going through reds. I've yet to see a RTP stopping anyone.