WhatsApp free calls?

dageurreotype

Was your voice conversation done app to app, or was one or both of you calling the other by calling from or ringing the other's phone number?

Generally, App to App calls over Internet are free on most voice message apps.

It's when you want to make actual phone calls to a Public Circuit-Switched Telephone Network (someone having telephone number) is when they want to charge you.

WhatsApp call is free in India. But some call issues with WhatsApp Calling presently. One of my friends called from Colombia via whatsapp. I could hear her voice, but she couldn't hear my voice back. After I was texting to her.

I have discovered not so long ago that LINE is a fantastic app also for calling other LINE users wherever they may be on this planet. You can send pictures and videos or make a picture of something (a document and send it to another LINE user, all free of charge. When I shop on Lazada on the weekend I get 12% discount when I pay with LINEPay. I love this app.

Yeah terrorists do use apps like that but I'm skeptical that they'll all go away.

I've tried whatsapp for calls to the US and it was OK for a very short talk in a pinch ... we could hear each other but a delay so it was quite annoying, like an old time walkie talkie.

To answer your various questions, the call was app to app via smartphone ergo - wireless. There was no 'virus alert' with the speedy install (I've read elsewhere downloading to your pc will slow it considerably, so smartphone only). The call was 1 hour plus and the clearest I've ever had, even within Thailand, no lagging/delays whatsoever. 'Terrorists'? Lol. You Umericun?

To answer your various questions, the call was app to app via smartphone ergo - wireless. There was no 'virus alert' with the speedy install (I've read elsewhere downloading to your pc will slow it considerably, so smartphone only). The call was 1 hour plus and the clearest I've ever had, even within Thailand, no lagging/delays whatsoever. 'Terrorists'? Lol. You Umericun?

Ok, free because it was App to App, entirely over Internet.

No charge as it did not involve having to involve a Public Phone Network 'gateway'.

**Free, as in the Internet connection was already being paid for, so why not use it for other things while we're at it.

I use both WhatsApp & LINE. Generally friends in Asia use LINE, the US WhatsApp.

Can't say I notice a lot of difference between them for free app to app calling in terms of quality, and I actually find them both good for audio. Video always can be a bit iffy based on connection, which to be gets awful annoying so I generally just stick to audio only

Which do I like, neither really stands out, although LINE is over infested with those awful stickers, which everyone here in Thailand seems to love

I have discovered not so long ago that LINE is a fantastic app also for calling other LINE users wherever they may be on this planet. You can send pictures and videos or make a picture of something (a document and send it to another LINE user, all free of charge. When I shop on Lazada on the weekend I get 12% discount when I pay with LINEPay. I love this app.

I agree as an offshore worker I travel to many countries and Line works the best even in West Africa with terribly slow internet I can talk to my wife clearly. Facebook messenger works well too but has issues connect sometimes. I like Viber the best for chats and sending photos but voice calls are not as good as Line.

I didn't know about LinePay thanks for the tip Dario.

Well my antivirus,Emsisoft,has report don't get caught by

the Whatsapp ,so i guess it infects your pc.

regards worgeordie

Very unlikely that an app (owned by facebook) and downloaded from the official website carries virus' or malware

To the OP, there is no catch, same goes for line, viber, facebook messenger, skype, facetime, tango, kakao talk, and numerous others. App to app is free, video calling too provding you have a decent data connection, either over wifi or cellular.

As you mentioned though, for sure its better to have a monthly volume based data package for your smartphone - you will soon eat through your phone credit without one

As for whatsapp charging after a year, im not sure they still plan to, if so, pick one of the others mentioned above -LINE being probably the most popular in thailand, as im sure most every other whats app user will dump them if and when they start charging

Well my antivirus,Emsisoft,has report don't get caught by

the Whatsapp ,so i guess it infects your pc.

regards worgeordie

Very unlikely that an app (owned by facebook) and downloaded from the official website carries virus' or malware

To the OP, there is no catch, same goes for line, viber, facebook messenger, skype, facetime, tango, kakao talk, and numerous others. App to app is free, video calling too provding you have a decent data connection, either over wifi or cellular.

As you mentioned though, for sure its better to have a monthly volume based data package for your smartphone - you will soon eat through your phone credit without one

As for whatsapp charging after a year, im not sure they still plan to, if so, pick one of the others mentioned above -LINE being probably the most popular in thailand, as im sure most every other whats app user will dump them if and when they start charging

I called the UK just this afternoon. one hour +. Clear as a bell. Alike being in the same room, whereas before, with regular AIS et al, muffled. Had already been using the video feature, up to two minutes (possibly more, not trying to make a film) - around two minutes .. wait. Can send photos of course and voice messages. The only 'phone credit' I have is NOT charged, and neither is my UK recipient, we both have pre paid internet packages. Cheap as chips. I too am not sure re the 'after one year start charging', but surely a service as good as this cannot be forever free.

As to the naysayers, here's a tip for you. Get your friends/family to (easily) download the VIRUS FREE app and try it for your bloody selves. Jeezuz coffee1.gif

Archived