New Scrocese Movie - The Departed

dantilley

• 2 weeks later...
Hi,

Does anyone know if the new Scorcese move "The Departed" will arrive on Thai cinema screens uncensored or not? I hear it has some quite gritty and powerful content, it would be a shame if it went under the knife...

I saw it at the weekend and really enjoyed it. I'm pretty sure there was a sex scene cut. I dont think any of the violence was cut (if it was, it must have been really bad, because there was some pretty bad stuff in it). Even the 'c' word got a couple of mentions.

I think it opened here on 12 October. I saw it and thought that it was really good. A killer cast; Matt Damon, Leonardo Di Caprio, Jack Nicholson, Mark Wahlberg, Martin Sheen, Alec Baldwin. It is a re-make of Infernal Affairs, a 2002 Hong Kong hit, with some local Boston flavor (the Frank Costello character is loosley based on Whitey Bulger and his Winter Hill Gang). Highly recommended. I cannot comment on any censorship as I have not seen the film in the U.S.A., but if the language or violence were any more severe it would have earned an NC-17 I believe.

Yeah, saw it also and thoroughly enjoyed it, I'd probably go as far as saying it's the best movie of the year.

I think the scene in the cafe where Nicholson shows the piece of paper to the nun may have been censored, other than that no noticeable cuts. If there were any, they didn't affect my enjoyment of this great movie anyway.

I enjoyed it. There were some scenes snipped for sure, but it didn't seem butchered. The Boston accents were all over the place (my home town), but nothing catastrophic. I think it worked because Scorcese wasn't making an Oscar candidate movie, like he was so obviously trying to do with "Gangs of NY" and "The Aviator". Just a good gangster flick.

They say Nicholson is on TOP form in this movie, which, as I'm sure we all know, can be overwhelmingly outstanding.

Oh, and that everyone else in the cast is really good too apparently

both uncut magazine and empire magazine websites say so, at least. .

They say Nicholson is on TOP form in this movie, which, as I'm sure we all know, can be overwhelmingly outstanding.

Oh, and that everyone else in the cast is really good too apparently

both uncut magazine and empire magazine websites say so, at least. .

Yes, Nicholson is excellent in this movie, certainly one of his best recent performances. Di Caprio probably puts in one of his career best, after the Aviator and now this he can really be considered a top draw actor I think. Matt Damon is also superb, but I also really liked the Mark Wahlberg performance as the brilliantly repulsive and offensive police sergeant.

Cap it all off with a brilliant soundtrack and you have a great Scorcese gangster movie.

good movie. by thai standard Id say its mostly uncensored...one 'sorta' a sex scene, lots of bad language (totally uncensored Id say). and the brutal killings were also not censored. similar scene like that on TV would have had grey blurry circles all over the screen.

what i think though is...there were so many twists within the story, that they couldnt put in a twist to the ending anymore. kinda simplistic ending in my thinking

still truly enjoyable. acting was great by all.

what i think though is...there were so many twists within the story, that they couldnt put in a twist to the ending anymore. kinda simplistic ending in my thinking

The Departed pretty much follwed Infernal Affairs, re: twists and turns, except for the ending, so for those who've seen Infernal Affairs there weren't a lot of surprises.

Matt Damon and Mark Wahlberg are of course Boston natives so no need for too much help on the accents. As life-long resident I found the accents total acceptable and believable, realizing that there are subtle, and not so subtle, differences even between adjacent towns/cities (e.g. Sommerville and Medford; Arlington and Lexington, Newton and Boston).

As previously mentioned, Jack Nicholson's character was loosley based on James "Whitey" Bulger, who is still on the FBI's Top Ten Most Wanted List, and is probably in Thailand? :o (Just joking, he's been spotted just about everywhere!)

I agree with most as this was probably the best movie of the year to date. Jack Nicholson was at his best, as was Matt Damon playing an unacustomed role as the bad guy.

I don't want to give too much away for those who haven't watched it, but the ending was not what I anticipated while watching the movie.