Boxing legend Muhammad Ali responds to Trump's call to ban Muslims from entering US

webfact

Ali responds to Trump's call to ban Muslims from entering US

WASHINGTON (AP) — Boxing legend Muhammad Ali on Wednesday criticized Republican presidential front-runner Donald Trump's proposal to ban Muslims from entering the United States, calling on Muslims "to stand up to those who use Islam to advance their own personal agenda."

Ali, one of the most famous Muslims in the world, issued a statement saying, "True Muslims know that the ruthless violence of so called Islamic Jihadists goes against the very tenets of our religion."

He added, "I believe that our political leaders should use their position to bring understanding about the religion of Islam and clarify that these misguided murderers have perverted people's views on what Islam really is."

Ali's statement Wednesday, first reported by NBC News, did not identify Trump by name but was directed at "presidential candidates proposing to ban Muslim immigration to the United States."

"They have alienated many from learning about Islam," Ali wrote.

President Barack Obama, in a televised address to the nation Sunday night, called on Americans to reject discrimination, saying, "Muslim Americans are our friends and our neighbors, our co-workers, our sports heroes."

On Twitter early Monday, Trump asked, "What sport is he talking about, and who?" — even though Trump has met Ali several times, and even received an award named after the former heavyweight champion in 2007.

The 73-year-old Ali, who was born Cassius Clay, converted to Islam and changed his name in 1964.

Another Muslim sports icon, basketball Hall of Famer Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, weighed in Wednesday with an essay on Time.com. He described Trump as the Islamic State group's "greatest triumph," a candidate who "preys on the fears of the public, doing ISIS's job for them."

Abdul-Jabbar wrote that Trump's claims "have elevated him to the level of a James Bond super-villain. And like those villains, he is doomed to failure."

Also Wednesday, Detroit Lions running back Ameer Abdullah, who is Muslim, spoke with reporters about Trump's proposal.

"When you have someone like him say some things — he has a very large following — it's kind of disappointing from my perspective," Abdullah said. "I just encourage everyone to educate yourself before you take a stance on something that you may not really know about."

aplogo.jpg
-- (c) Associated Press 2015-12-10

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mohamad Ali should just shut up and go back to sleep. Only changed to Islam to avoid the draft during VietNam. He is a coward and a embarrassment. No respect for him at all.

he is a far greater man then you ever will be. he couldn't box and lost his title for a while because his values were more important to him.

Mohamad Ali should just shut up and go back to sleep. Only changed to Islam to avoid the draft during VietNam. He is a coward and a embarrassment. No respect for him at all.

He has done far more for the USA in his lifetime than you could ever do in 10 lifetimes.

How come if (according to you) he only changed to Islam in 1964 to avoid the draft, then why is he still a Muslim 51 years later?

If Ali is a coward and an embarrassment, what does that make you?

A keyboard warrior.

I admire him and I am not even an American.

If all of us had the gonads that Ali had to refuse to be drafted even though he was promised he'd never see a battlefield than the Vietnam mess would have cost a lot less loss of lives.

The US govt knew full well that Ali was a major hero to many young blacks and they greatly feared that young fodder/men would follow Ali's example and refuse to fight....he was offered all kinds of options if he would just put away his moral convictions and allow them to induct him. He refused and had his boxing license suspended from the age of 25 to almost 29...prime time years for a boxer. He was also vilified by war mongers, called a traitor, a commie, and worse.

Say what you will about Ali but he certainly demonstrated a lot of courage by standing his ground in the face of tremendous pressure to just "go along".

Lot tougher than sitting at a keyboard and slinging arrows.

yet another war based on lies but was really about nothing more than a cash and power grab. Kennedy was probably assassinated to make sure that war could happened.

I don't blame him for a second for sitting that one out.

what about Trump avoiding service because of a bone spur in his foot? Just a brave hero that was denied his opportunity?

What about Bush avoiding the war because daddy was powerful enough to keep him out? Just got to sit around snorting cocaine.

Yes such brave Americans, willing to send others to die so they and their friends can get obscenely rich off of the blood and sacrifices of others.

The simple fact is that if Muslims are indeed the perfect picture of all great, good, honest poeple, I find it curious why NOT ONE Muslim stands in public to decry these terriosts. If I was a Muslim it would be in my interests to do everything I could to educate people otherwise.

Instead youu hear nothing from them. So one can conclude that it is indeed their religion beliefs that are dangerous to any that are not Muslim. Sure some are more forward than others (hence ISIS, Al Queda, etc). But the bottom line is Muslims core beliefs ARE dangerous to anyone who is not a Muslim. They are more akin to Nazi's.

All respect for this great man who demonstrated to the world there is other humans than WASPs in the USA in times when that was really dangerous.

The simple fact is that if Muslims are indeed the perfect picture of all great, good, honest poeple, I find it curious why NOT ONE Muslim stands in public to decry these terriosts. If I was a Muslim it would be in my interests to do everything I could to educate people otherwise.

Instead youu hear nothing from them. So one can conclude that it is indeed their religion beliefs that are dangerous to any that are not Muslim. Sure some are more forward than others (hence ISIS, Al Queda, etc). But the bottom line is Muslims core beliefs ARE dangerous to anyone who is not a Muslim. They are more akin to Nazi's.

If you havn't noticed the huge number of Muslims standing up publicly to decry the Daesh and terrorists then you are blind.

There have been world wide protests, 70,000 Indian Muslim clerics put a fatwa on the Daeesh\Al Qaeda\ etc.. you just didn't want to see it.

Had you bothered to read the OP before starting on your anti-Muslim rant you may have read :

Ali, one of the most famous Muslims in the world, issued a statement saying, "True Muslims know that the ruthless violence of so called Islamic Jihadists goes against the very tenets of our religion."

If that is not a muslim standing up in Public to decry terrorism\Daesh\Jihadis then what is it you actually want?

No one is saying Muslims are the perfect picture of all great good honest "people".. No one expects that any more than they'd expect of of you, or me for that matter!

Edited by MrTee

It is curious probably because you are not listening. What Ali and others have done, mentioned all throughout this post, is exactly what you say that no one does.

I remember hearing all sorts of Muslim groups speaking about this very matter in the 1990's well up to this date, probably before but I was to young to take note of it.

The message has always been the same that what the terrorists call religion is nothing but a way to prevent a sacred and holy way of life.

Much love to any oppressed by the actions of the mad and insane.

=[...

And a black American Muslim.

Go a round with him in his heyday and we would soon see which of you is the coward!

What about Ali condemning islamic violence. Its the festive time of year and good will to all men. Go up to the next muslim to see and wish him A very Happy Christmas !

I have done for the past few years, christmas trees up in all the malls in kl. great festive season. Also after xmas is the chinese new year celebrations and public holidays, then the hindu festivals and holidays. Its hard to get a break from festivities.

Sorry what was your point?

Edited by Linky

yet another war based on lies but was really about nothing more than a cash and power grab. Kennedy was probably assassinated to make sure that war could happened.

I don't blame him for a second for sitting that one out.

what about Trump avoiding service because of a bone spur in his foot? Just a brave hero that was denied his opportunity?

What about Bush avoiding the war because daddy was powerful enough to keep him out? Just got to sit around snorting cocaine.

Yes such brave Americans, willing to send others to die so they and their friends can get obscenely rich off of the blood and sacrifices of others.

You somehow must have missed Bill Clinton's gymnastics getting around the draft.

Just an oversight I'm sure.

Ali is a coward? Really? I call ignorant bullshit. The war was wrong, US murdered and destroyed. Supported Pol Pot and abandoned its supporters. Ali stood up in good conscience and should be revered for taking a stand against the military industrial complex, aka The United States. Edited by slerickson

There are a few brave ME folks willing to voice their disdain for the Islamic Extremists...I have given you the link to just one example:

https://www.youtube.com/user/act4america/videos

What about Ali condemning islamic violence. Its the festive time of year and good will to all men. Go up to the next muslim to see and wish him A very Happy Christmas !

I have done for the past few years, christmas trees up in all the malls in kl. great festive season. Also after xmas is the chinese new year celebrations and public holidays, then the hindu festivals and holidays. Its hard to get a break from festivities.

Sorry what was your point?

Here in the UK, the Christmas tree put up in our town centre has for many years been paid for by the local Asian Business Association; most of whose members are of Pakistani descent and so it's safe to assume that most of them are Muslim.

(For the benefit of American readers, here in the UK by 'Asian' we mean people from South Asia; especially India, Pakistan, Bangladesh and Sri Lanka.)

Don't recall the serial adulterer and bragart Ali spouting forth on the Boston bombing or the World trade center.

You are yet again displaying your ignorance.

No doubt, as with every other piece of evidence showing that Muslims worldwide condemn terrorists who claim to be Muslim, you will ignore this.

Edited by 7by7