Chinese & Russian tourists dont spend money in Thailand.

rijmond

I have read and heard about this claim before but this a personal encounter now I'm Jomtien for a 4 weeks vacation.

I was having my morning walk on Jomtien beach where I met this British guy.

During our conversation, he said that Russians & Chinese tourist don't spend

money while in Thailand on vacation. My reply was, '' every tourist spends

money in Thailand''.

My 2nd encounter was a Swiss guy at Jomtien beach an evening. He said the

same about Russians & Chinese & my response was the same.

Inquiries about where they reside, revealed that both were in Guesthouses. Thus budget tourist like myself.

As I walk down the beach road going towards the boulevard ,I can see both Russians & Chinese residing in upscale accommodation where security guards keep an eye on their safety /well being. So maybe they are here on a

package but I guess its an all inclusive package i.e. meals, excursions,

transportation etc and eventually spending more than the independent tourist.

Conclusion don't accuse anyone of being, ''cheap Charlie'' when you eat at the market, sleep in guesthouse ( cheap accommodation) and travel with the ''Baht bus''.

Not sure how your post relates to this particular forum but it is not uncommon to encounter people who hold different opinions to your own. People tend to believe what they believe and no form of persuasion will sway them from their view. Just one of those things you have to learn how to deal with.

Hi, Rijmond.

You are partly right. In general, Russian tourists dont have package tours. Chinese have. But ruble rate has fallen down and destroied international tourism industry in Russia - most of people can not spend so much money the they used to spend. Only very wealthy Russians who can pay residing in upscale accommodation you've seen. But their behaviour is different than you used to see on Jomtien beach where usualy were staying dudes.

PS. Im Russian

Pretty sure this relates to most Russians. But, I see a lot of Chinese eating at expensive seafood restaurants and racking up huge bills for lobster, giant prawns, etc. Four people spending 10,000 baht or so for dinner. I am sure there are a lot of package tours too. But in general, I think the Chinese are a far higher quality tourist than most Russians. Certainly alot more pleasant and joyful. Just my observations.

Pretty sure this relates to most Russians. But, I see a lot of Chinese eating at expensive seafood restaurants and racking up huge bills for lobster, giant prawns, etc. Four people spending 10,000 baht or so for dinner. I am sure there are a lot of package tours too. But in general, I think the Chinese are a far higher quality tourist than most Russians. Certainly alot more pleasant and joyful. Just my observations.

My guess: you must have seen some hiso Thais of Chinese origin, the financial elite of this country.

If you want to see real spenders you need to go to Bangkok hiso clubs with Thai/Chinese.

Most likely the bouncer won't let you in, members only.

The Chinese package tourists pay something like 12000 Baht or so all incl. for a 3 day tour.

And they never walk alone, they never leave the group (of 20 and more people).

The live in upscale hotels?

Maybe, because these upscale hotels are so desperately empty that they do discounts that you will never see published anywhere.

My guess: you must have seen some hiso Thais of Chinese origin, the financial elite of this country.

If you want to see real spenders you need to go to Bangkok hiso clubs with Thai/Chinese.

The Chinese package tourists pay something like 12000 Baht or so all incl. for a 3 day tour.

Maybe, because these upscale hotels are so desperately empty that they do discounts that you will never see published anywhere.

Thats all right above . And I predicted almost a year ago that the 4 * hotels would be converted into ( discounted) wholesale accommodation for the touring masses.

Thats all right above . And I predicted almost a year ago that the 4 * hotels would be converted into ( discounted) wholesale accommodation for the touring masses.

Incorrect. They were Chinese tourists from the mainland. I spoke to some of them. They confirmed that. Not all Chinese travel by group tours. I have no idea what the percentages are. This was on Samui. There were four or six friends or couples traveling together. They stayed at local hotels, did not frequent the bars, but ate at good restaurants and spent a lot on their meals. Often over 2,000 baht per person. They also did a lot of shopping. They ate alot of seafood. If you go to a restaurant like Sabaenglae on Samui, you will see an average of 30% of the diners are from China, and they are eating tiger prawns, lobster, and other expensive delicacies, and spending real money.

All this points to, is the fact that no group can be lumped into one category. There is a lot of money in China these days, and when I have spoken to the hostesses (and friends who work there) at places like the Four Seasons, and the Conrad, they have confirmed that they host a lot of Chinese guests, and that they spend a lot of money. During certain holidays, the Conrad is up to 50% Chinese patrons, and they are dropping between 8,000 and 50,000 baht per night on their rooms and villas, and eating mostly on property, at 2,000 to 4,000 per person ++.

OK, I must admit that I only have observations from (spolt by) visits in Pattaya.

Samui is obviously not the destination for the typical package tourist from China.

No rule without exceptions.

There are rich Chinese tourists and maybe there are even smiling Russians biggrin.png

Edited by KhunBENQ

a Myth perpetuated by those that spent all there time in Falang Owned bars

They Fly to Thailand- Airline Earns money

They stay in Hotels usually better Hotels than the cheap charlie Bar/guesthouses

They eat whether its restaurant/supermarket/ 7/11/ Food cart

They drink again whether its 7/11 / Beach or Russian owned establishment

They Shop

They sit on the beach and Hire chairs, buy food from vendors and beers from 7/11

They get taxis/Buses depdning if there on an organized tour

They use Baht buses/Sky Train etc

Every time I go to a tourist attraction I curse because its packed with Chinese/Russians

see the pattern?

They are spending money on flights, Hotel, food, beer, entertainment s, difference its they are not spending in any British/Australian/US/German owned semi legit Bar

Edited by nus01

As Vasil pointed out, just as there's different types of Russian tourists (package-tour and low-budget versus independent and moneyed), the same applies with the Chinese. The Russians that persevered through the ruble crash tended to have been coming here for ages and already had condo's, cars and all the other trappings that some Euro trash see as their right as Pattaya's 'resident tourists'. The tour buses ferry the all-inclusive Chinese to ladyboy shows, sex shows and 'all you can eat' buffets and Chinese-only theme parks out in the boroughs and thus are very visible but the renters and buyers from China are also growing.

It's a trait of the overbearing European whoremonger to lump the Russians, Chinese and Indians into a singular demographic that is spoiling their myopic vision of Pattaya as some sort of heaven on earth.

Culture much?

My observation; Chinese are very frequent visitors of 7/12 shops and very good customers for Pharmacy items they also like jewelry and they buy tons of dried fruit. Maybe their spending behavior is different from the average tourist..

While they do spend money outside of their 'packaged tours' and there are increasing amount of independent Chinese tourist.

The majority of the Chinese tourist on the Packaged tours and what used to be the '0 dollar tours' rarely spend money outside....

I've witness many scene in 7-11s and Supermarkets where these Chinese tourists ventured outside on their own and discovered that places outside their itinerary don't accept Renminbi.... they didn't even exchange any money when they come over so how could they spend any?

I'm not disputing the fact that they do bring in money into the Thailand's economy, and the ones that spends do exist, but the ones that come over in the big tour groups spends very little and the business that do receive their customs like airlines and hotels, very little seeps out into the local economy

the massage palour they visit in droves.... all pre-paid and they don't tip, same with hotels, the room might be full and the staff grateful they can keep their jobs but without the tips and room service the staff don't have money to spend compared to when the Europeans were here years ago

the restaurants and souvenir shops they visit.... many are Chinese run and use Chinese staff

I remembered during all the protests when all the hotels in Bangkok would have to let their staff only comes in 3 days a week or take a couple of weeks off...

if you take the numbers of all the Chinese, Indians, and other 'low quality' tourist like from Vietnam and such, out of all the hotels in Pattaya, (and I'm pulling the number out of my arse here, so no evidence whatsoever) the occupancy level might be at the level that some people in hotels might have to be let go , so everytime I see a big tourbus blocking the road, I try to be grateful that at least the city is able to keep going

They spend money but only in the places they are carefully shepherded into…they will not be propping up any bingo player who runs a go go, bar beer or nondescript eatery.

The places they spend at pay commissions to tour buses for bringing them there.

This has been said before but one of the attractions of Thailand to Russians is that can get a tourist visa at the airport, where in other countries it is more difficult for them. And if your home country currency dropped to 40% percent of its value, you would be spending frugally in Thailand. As there are different kinds of Western travelers in Thailand...from backpackers, to 3 star, to those who are on the 5 star travelers, it is the same with Russian travelers. I have run into classy, well educated Russians that stay in the 4-5 star hotels in Pattaya, Bangkok, and Phuket. You cannot stereotype all of them in the same financial category just like you cannot do the same with vacationers from Europe or North America. That is what is so special about Thailand, it reaches out to various kinds of travelers.

True, Thailand has now been invaded with bus loads of Chinese that come here on group tours. Remember, it has not been too long since this country has allowed their citizens to travel outside of China and for an elderly Chinese to travel on his own without knowing English would be as awkward for me to travel to the middle of Kazakhstan. --But China is a huge country with a huge population, so even if only 5%-10% of the Chinese that visit Thailand are the independent 4-5 star traveler, that is a lot of revenue pouring into Thailand. -And all the big businesses are betting that this will only increase in the future while the European numbers are dwindling down.

Edited by toenail

Hi, Rijmond.

You are partly right. In general, Russian tourists dont have package tours. Chinese have. But ruble rate has fallen down and destroied international tourism industry in Russia - most of people can not spend so much money the they used to spend. Only very wealthy Russians who can pay residing in upscale accommodation you've seen. But their behaviour is different than you used to see on Jomtien beach where usualy were staying dudes.

PS. Im Russian

I swear i see one person speaking to himself.

You are Russian and claim Russians do not have all inclusive package tours? You must be from part of Russia where no internet is available,

Russians have plenty of all inclusive packages, starting from as little as 15 000 rubles

Companies like Peagus, Sayama and few others, prepurchase their rooms at dirt cheap prices because they buy in bulk and in advance, so the upscale expansive hotels are not really all that expansive for them.

May i suggest you check with Russian tour operators and get yourself a good deal for your next tripthumbsup.gif

The downside is though, you would not be able to wonder off and would have to go to all their shops and massage places.

They spend money but only in the places they are carefully shepherded into…they will not be propping up any bingo player who runs a go go, bar beer or nondescript eatery.

The places they spend at pay commissions to tour buses for bringing them there.

Omen, not just commissions, but 30%-50% which means prices in those shops are double to anywhere else

I don't believe the TAT statistics, but will comment on them anyway.

TAT says Chinese tourists spend in average around 5500 baht per day in Thailand, which is more than the average European tourist.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/business/Chinese-tourists-boost-Thai-economy-but-stir-outra-30263782.html

But of course they don't spend their money at the same places as Europeans.

I don't believe the TAT statistics, but will comment on them anyway.

TAT says Chinese tourists spend in average around 5500 baht per day in Thailand, which is more than the average European tourist.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/business/Chinese-tourists-boost-Thai-economy-but-stir-outra-30263782.html

But of course they don't spend their money at the same places as Europeans.

I am guessing true figures when they get taken to a pillow shop, where rubber pillows are sold for 1500 baht each and guide insists they buy 2 plus a rubber blanket for a bargain price of 4500 baht

Then off to Thai herbal medicine shop, where soap is sold for 200 baht and guide insist they get at least 10, one of each flavorgiggle.gif

And almost forgot, the very special restaurant where fried rice with chicken is ONLY 350 baht, but its the clean chicken, so its worth it

Edited by konying

It is probably a troll post but if not, just another thread laced with the typical Eurocentrism and subtle racism so common on TVF. Let's just say "Chinese are like this or that or they behave a certain way in shops, don't spend money, etc".

Why would any rational person utter such a statement if not to differentiate themselves and elevate their own ego at the expense of others? All whilst sitting on a barstool in company of peasant slappers drinking a foul excuse for beer, eating from a Phad Thai cart, and staying in some dump. The epitome of Bigotry.

Just go to Shanghai or Hong Kong and try to get on a lift or train. Is it better elsewhere? I don't even care to make the judgement. If you have any sense you will soon be elbowing like all the rest and if not crushed or left behind!

If one wishes to walk on proper pavements and say "How do you do?" to passersby please go back to Stanmore. Rant off.

Edited by arunsakda

Just because they don't go in beer bars dosnt mean they dont spend money. The OP is correct every tourist is spending money by just being here. Go to any shopping mall and I only ever see Russians and Koreans buying from brand shops, most Europeans buy their clothes at the night markets.

This OP is an example of the Null Hypothesis : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Null_hypothesis. Refers to a general statement or default position, that there is no relationship between two

measured phenomena. The objective then is to reject or disprove the Null Some of the replies above " get this " # 10 , #12 '# 14 and # 15. While certainly # 24 does not get it.

And by the way from some of the good replies above the Null is rejected in my opinion.

Edited by morrobay

They stay in Hotels usually better Hotels than the cheap charlie Bar/guesthouses

They Shop

They sit on the beach and Hire chairs, buy food from vendors and beers from 7/11

Every time I go to a tourist attraction I curse because its packed with Chinese/Russians

see the pattern?

They are spending money on flights, Hotel, food, beer, entertainment s, difference its they are not spending in any British/Australian/US/German owned semi legit Bar

A guy I know who owns a bar in Pattaya told me there is a general consensus amongst bar owners that if the Russian and Chinese trend continues to build their bars are all short lived. They do not visit the bars. Girlie bars or normal bars. Mayne in their hotels? Maybe. The bars in Samui are closing left and right. Few punters anymore there.

They Shop

see the pattern?

A guy I know who owns a bar in Pattaya told me there is a general consensus amongst bar owners that if the Russian and Chinese trend continues to build their bars are all short lived. They do not visit the bars. Girlie bars or normal bars. Mayne in their hotels? Maybe. The bars in Samui are closing left and right. Few punters anymore there.

Well your both right above.

• 1 month later...