UK expats for EU exit

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Brought to you by the "newspaper" where the class is always half empty .rolleyes.gif

Truancy cannot be tolerated, somebody should do something.

More seriously: I am surprised that the decline has taken as long as it has to get underway, I expected it two or three years ago. I've long believed that GBP was over valued and the economy definitely does not support it getting stronger, it'll be interesting to see how this plays out over the next five years but in the meantime, I hope Thai based expats have got plenty of THB to hand..

Edited by chiang mai

Brought to you by the "newspaper" where the class is always half empty .rolleyes.gif

More seriously: I am surprised that the decline has taken as long as it has to get underway, I expected it two or three years ago. I've long believed that GBP was over valued and the economy definitely does not support it getting stronger, it'll be interesting to see how this plays out over the next five years but in the meantime, I hope Thai based expats have got plenty of THB to hand..

As an economic illiterate, I've no idea as to why sterling falls when it comes to Thai/bht exchange rates.

Much as I love living here, Thailand is far from an economic power house.

Perhaps someone can explain this to me.

As an economic illiterate, I've no idea as to why sterling falls when it comes to Thai/bht exchange rates.

A quick snapshot, two parts, the first is the exchange rate:

The GBP/THB exchange rate is a bi product of the GBP/USD exchange rate, so when GBP falls against USD it also falls against THB.

Economic Power House:

The country has solid economic fundamentals, low unemployment, low public and foreign debt and a diversified economy that includes an ever growing tourist industry, agriculture, manufacturing and motor vehicle assembly, plus there's no overhead burden of social security systems or unions. The economy remains export driven and in that respect is at the mercy of the global economy but has solid links with China and is able to find new markets fairly easily. The country also has huge foreign currency reserves, USD 186 bill. at last count, higher than most western countries.

http://www.tradingeconomics.com/thailand/indicators

Edited by chiang mai

The GBP/THB exchange rate is a bi product of the GBP/USD exchange rate, so when GBP falls against USD it also falls against THB.

Economic Power House:

The country has solid economic fundamentals, low unemployment, low public and foreign debt and a diversified economy that includes an ever growing tourist industry, agriculture, manufacturing and motor vehicle assembly, plus there's no overhead burden of social security systems or unions. The economy remains export driven and in that respect is at the mercy of the global economy but has solid links with China and is able to find new markets fairly easily. The country also has huge foreign currency reserves, USD 186 bill. at last count, higher than most western countries.

Depressing, when the vast majority are living in poverty in Thailand.

But it makes sense when it comes to international finance.

Economic Power House:

solid economic fundamentals? are you joking? during the last 10 years i have read a triple digit number of comments from resident Thaivisa lurned eggsburts that Thailand's economy as well as the Baht will be falling into an abyss...

...any time from now! whistling.gif

Luckily i have ,also quite a lot of sterling ,but best of all i have a wife who makes quite a good living , aint life grand , now if only my health holds out thumbsup.gif

You are right that there will pain for UK expats who have the pensions or funds arriving here on a monthly basis and some tightening of belts will be required for some time in the future.

We did discuss this earlier and a number of people in this position thought it was a price worth paying in the short term, however long the short term is deemed to be for a better stronger position in the future, however long we deem that to be.

So why are you so assured that "Great" Britain will be stronger? Weak Pound will help exporters. Independent trade agreements will be negotiated from a position of weakness. Personally in two minds over being British and wanting the best for the Nation or watching Britain go down the tubes like history tells us most, if not all, empire building

Hnations seem to manage.

The EU is in the weak position, they never in their wildest dreams thought we would leave, un like you I have confidence in the UK to prosper in the future There were going to risks whatever the result, both would be speculative, in my view the greater risk for our democracy was to stay in. We are and always have been a trading nation, we wont suddenly stop that and to stop trading with the EU would simply not happen, they need to trade with us as much as we need to trade with them, we will make a deal, to do otherwise would the EU cutting off its nose to spite its face.

Dont forget that London is the worlds number one financial centre, that is not going to change.

I am optimistic for the future in the mid to long term, it may be a rough for the near future, I always expected that to be the case.

The markets got it wrong, the bookies got it wrong and a few posts back I told how the bookies could appear to be right and the referendum result could be different.

It is up to everyone now to adapt to the result.

HSBC pulling 2,000 jobs out of London, and that's just for starters. Your argument is flawed

Did you want to reconsider that statement.

A useful little quote I found this evening.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2016/06/30/hsbc-plays-down-chance-of-moving-1000-jobs-out-of-london-on-brex/

By

30 June 2016 • 2:55pm

HSBC is very unlikely to move 1,000 bankers from the UK to France in the wake of the British vote to leave the European Union.

In February the bank’s chairman Douglas Flint had indicated the jobs could move across the Channel in the event of Brexit.

But he has rowed back from those earlier comments, now reassuring his workforce that no changes are imminent, and 1,000 would be an “extreme” scenario.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2016/06/30/hsbc-plays-down-chance-of-moving-1000-jobs-out-of-london-on-brex/

By

HSBC is very unlikely to move 1,000 bankers from the UK to France in the wake of the British vote to leave the European Union.

In February the bank’s chairman Douglas Flint had indicated the jobs could move across the Channel in the event of Brexit.

But he has rowed back from those earlier comments, now reassuring his workforce that no changes are imminent, and 1,000 would be an “extreme” scenario.

So, is it still a realistic option for HSBC? Or r u saying it´s not gonna happen? So what´s "useful" about the quote?

By

So, is it still a realistic option for HSBC? Or r u saying it´s not gonna happen? So what´s "useful" about the quote?

Well it seems to me that it comes from a fairly reliable source from the chairman of HSBC.

I am not sure what your next line says as it is not in a form of English that I understand or was taught at school.

However if I am correct it means that you are asking me if it will happen.

Actually, I have no idea, but if you really want to know, why don't YOU personally make contact with Douglas Flint at HSBC and ask him. After all he is the person that said it and he will surely tell you.

Try doing a little research on your own and amaze everybody on the thread with your astounding knowledge.

By

Well it seems to me that it comes from a fairly reliable source from the chairman of HSBC.

I am not sure what your next line says as it is not in a form of English that I understand or was taught at school.

However if I am correct it means that you are asking me if it will happen.

Actually, I have no idea, but if you really want to know, why don't YOU personally make contact with Douglas Flint at HSBC and ask him. After all he is the person that said it and he will surely tell you.

Try doing a little research on your own and amaze everybody on the thread with your astounding knowledge.

Apparently Wells Fargo are paying 400 million to set up in London, who knows what goes on in big finance? Whish I did.

Actually, I have no idea ...

Your honour, I rest my case...

I admitted that I have no idea because I am not a financial guru, trader, money mover.

I gave you the suggestion as to what YOU should do if you really want to know, but you have no case unless you try to do something about it. Are you too lazy to do anything for yourself or to make any positive contribution to the thread?

Edited by billd766

" The new Chancellor of the Exchequer has said he may use the Autumn Statement to "reset" Britain's economic policy.

At the start of a trip to China to strengthen post-Brexit business ties, Philip Hammond said he would review economic data over the coming months."

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-36864099

Although, given that the government has already abandoned any attempt to balance-the-books by 2020, some might say that economic-policy has already just been reset in a major way, oh well at least there won't be any nauseating speeches promising 'fiscal prudence' for a while ! rolleyes.gif

" The new Chancellor of the Exchequer has said he may use the Autumn Statement to "reset" Britain's economic policy.

At the start of a trip to China to strengthen post-Brexit business ties, Philip Hammond said he would review economic data over the coming months."

Although, given that the government has already abandoned any attempt to balance-the-books by 2020, some might say that economic-policy has already just been reset in a major way, oh well at least there won't be any nauseating speeches promising 'fiscal prudence' for a while ! rolleyes.gif

Plus the abandonment of commitments on 'Immigration'

The betrayal of the 'White working class' who voted for Brexit continues apace.

whistling.gif

whistling.gif

They just haven´t realised it yet..... will be a rude awakening....

whistling.gif

There is NO abandonment on commitments to immigration.

EU considers migration ‘emergency brake’ for UK for up to seven years

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/jul/24/brexit-deal-free-movement-exemption-seven-years

Talks are ongoing concerning every aspect of Brexit despite what is being said in public by Politicians.

Grow up and send your negativity to outer space where it belongs.

That´s an interesting article in The Guardian. Thanks for posting the link!

Well, IF such a deal were to be agreed upon, I only wonder if the majority of the Brexiteers who shouted "We want our country back", "We want to have full control over our borders again", "We want to be free at last" and "Stop paying money to the dictators in Brussels" would actually be happy with such a deal. I very much doubt it.

That´s an interesting article in The Guardian. Thanks for posting the link!

Well, IF such a deal were to be agreed upon, I only wonder if the majority of the Brexiteers who shouted "We want our country back", "We want to have full control over our borders again", "We want to be free at last" and "Stop paying money to the dictators in Brussels" would actually be happy with such a deal. I very much doubt it.

Only a few Brexteers ever believed in a "cake and eat it scenario". It was NEVER going to be that simple.

Negotiations always start somewhere and getting as close to access to the single market as possible is the objective. Also, please don't try and suggest that abandoning freedom of movement means that UK expats in Europe and European expats in the UK will be out of jobs/homes etc

whistling.gif

Don't be silly,if say you are a"white working class boy" who lets say has a Thai wife and you don't earn 18k a year,it will still be a nightmare to bring your wife to Britain,now if only she was an economic migrant jumping out of the back of a lorry ,no problem

Mastercard have invested £700 million in UK firm Vocalink, proving once again that Britain is open for business.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-36855983

IMHO, you´re completely missing the point. NOBODY expected trade and investment to go down to zero. it is about the potentially billions of pounds in investment being put either on hold or scrapped altogether because of the uncertainty caused by the vote to leave the EU.