UK expats for EU exit

I fully expect a referendum will be held on the terms of the UK's Brexit in 2 years or so. By then, attitudes to a Brexit may well be very different.

i expect that Brexit discussions will, depending on the perspective, entertain or bore us for years to come coffee1.gif

What ,a bit like the "we should have joined the euro" ones didnt .tongue.png

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

And I fully expect the Brexit bunch to demand that England be renamed Brexitville, a referendum will be held and the Renamers will win by 52% over the Remainers on 48%, thus sparking yet another controversy, all to the delight of the Express, Sun, Mail and Daily Star.

Your scars certainly run deep!

Anyway, "Brexit means Brexit"

so I hope they heal soon - along with your bitterness.

This talk of a 2nd referendum debate is indeed misleading. The HMG has said that the original referendum vote would stand and it does, what the debate is about is, if in future there were to be another referendum and we dont have many do we that certain guidelines would have to be met, it has been suggested that a winning margin of 60%+ with a turn out of 75% might be required for it to be valid, this is what the debate is about not about a 2nd referendum about leaving the EU.

That decision has been taken and the result declared, now all the HMG has to decide is when they will trigger the start of the process to leave.

When, or if they trigger the process.

HMG's first duty is to govern the UK for the good of the commonwealth, not the good of the mob.

And as Farage himself said "In a 52-48 referendum this would be unfinished business by a long way. If the Remain campaign win two-thirds to one-third that ends it."

The UK is a 'parliamentary democracy' and as such Remain supporters have the right to lobby Parliament for the outcome they wish, moreover the opposition are constitutionally bound to oppose the government.

Let's see how this pans out.

No such idea would have been entertained if the remain camp had won, even by a slimmer majority.

This talk of a 2nd referendum debate is indeed misleading. The HMG has said that the original referendum vote would stand and it does, what the debate is about is, if in future there were to be another referendum and we dont have many do we that certain guidelines would have to be met, it has been suggested that a winning margin of 60%+ with a turn out of 75% might be required for it to be valid, this is what the debate is about not about a 2nd referendum about leaving the EU.

That decision has been taken and the result declared, now all the HMG has to decide is when they will trigger the start of the process to leave.

HMG's first duty is to govern the UK for the good of the commonwealth, not the good of the mob.

And as Farage himself said "In a 52-48 referendum this would be unfinished business by a long way. If the Remain campaign win two-thirds to one-third that ends it."

The UK is a 'parliamentary democracy' and as such Remain supporters have the right to lobby Parliament for the outcome they wish, moreover the opposition are constitutionally bound to oppose the government.

No such idea would have been entertained if the remain camp had won, even by a slimmer majority.

That's why we have a parliament, to sttle differences that we know cannot be sttled by 'mob rule'.

That's why we have a parliament, to sttle differences that we know cannot be sttled by 'mob rule'.

If Parliament didn't want the people to decide, they shouldn't have had a referendum.

But they did, and now they're stuck with that result, unless they want to lose all their seats in the next general election.

Around 70% of the Labour/Conservative voters voted to leave. Essentially only London voted to remain.

Scotland voters no longer count in the general election as they all vote SNP. No seats for Labour/Conservatives there.

If the Conservatives don't leave, the next election won't be the usual Labour/Conservative party battle, it'll be a remain/leave election and they dare not risk that.

If Parliament didn't want the people to decide, they shouldn't have had a referendum.

But they did, and now they're stuck with that result, unless they want to lose all their seats in the next general election.

Around 70% of the Labour/Conservative voters voted to leave. Essentially only London voted to remain.

Scotland voters no longer count in the general election as they all vote SNP. No seats for Labour/Conservatives there.

If the Conservatives don't leave, the next election won't be the usual Labour/Conservative party battle, it'll be a remain/leave election and they dare not risk that.

What you write is true, but in practice do you really think that if the Conservative, Labour and Lib Dem candidates in a constituency are all "Remain", the UKIP or Independent candidate will be elected?

What you write is true, but in practice do you really think that if the Conservative, Labour and Lib Dem candidates in a constituency are all "Remain", the UKIP or Independent candidate will be elected?

There is a 17/33rd probability that it could happen........

And I fully expect the Brexit bunch to demand that England be renamed Brexitville, a referendum will be held and the Renamers will win by 52% over the Remainers on 48%, thus sparking yet another controversy, all to the delight of the Express, Sun, Mail and Daily Star.

You don't do satire, do you!

You don't do satire, do you!

Sometimes it is difficult to recognise smile.png

i prefer these variations:

-Brexit is supposed to mean Brexit.

-Brexit allegedly means Brexit.

-Brexiteers are convinced that Brexit means Brexit

-Remainers have strong doubts that Brexit means Brexit.

-only time will tell whether Brexit means Brexit.

wink.png

I fully expect a referendum will be held on the terms of the UK's Brexit in 2 years or so. By then, attitudes to a Brexit may well be very different.

i expect that Brexit discussions will, depending on the perspective, entertain or bore us for years to come coffee1.gif

translation please huh.png

My stubborn attitude is that more than 50% wins the vote.

Even if only 3 people turned out to vote.

Farage disagrees with you:

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-eu-referendum-36306681

Who was Farage?

Who was Johnson?

Who was Cameron?

Only names of awful players. No patriots, not honestly doing their jobs. Like naughty rich boys who got bored and now looking for another game to play. It's only dissapointing that the young ones did not go voting and left the future to those who got only a past. It only shows the ignorance of Old People (also here on this website). It might be even dementia, but there will be a process of learning. Good that in Europe the majority are still good Europeans and will not share obscure opinions of boys who did not grew up. It's also depressing that a proud nation (they named themselves) as Britain followed populists as Farage and friends. Same as Germans followed Goebbels and friends? I did not expect that they did not learn. Sad situation but not the end of Europe just a beginning without Cherry Pickers.

Come on Naam ,we know your getting old , but no Alzheimers yet i hope smile.png

Come on Naam ,we know your getting old , but no Alzheimers yet i hope smile.png

to be on the safe side i asked my wife (a native English speaker) for an explanation. she agreed with your claim that i am getting old but also claims your comment doesn't make any sense. ermm.gif

Who was Farage?

Who was Johnson?

Who was Cameron?

Only names of awful players. No patriots, not honestly doing their jobs. Like naughty rich boys who got bored and now looking for another game to play. It's only dissapointing that the young ones did not go voting and left the future to those who got only a past. It only shows the ignorance of Old People (also here on this website). It might be even dementia, but there will be a process of learning. Good that in Europe the majority are still good Europeans and will not share obscure opinions of boys who did not grew up. It's also depressing that a proud nation (they named themselves) as Britain followed populists as Farage and friends. Same as Germans followed Goebbels and friends? I did not expect that they did not learn. Sad situation but not the end of Europe just a beginning without Cherry Pickers.

In 1975 I was young and I voted to go into the EEC, but, after seeing what it has become I voted this time to leave, the value of experience and history. My children are amazingly younger than me, yet they also voted to leave the EU, even though they have no recollection of life outside of it.

You must think that all older people wanted the leave the EU although I think the majority did, nor must you think that all younger people wanted stay, there was far more at stake in this referendum result than just staying or leaving, it washed over many areas from the EU, economy, immigration, sovereignty and the elite/ establishment versus the people ( the people not liking to be told that they are stupid if the dont understand xxxxxxx, that provokes a backlash in the voting habits ), so, when it comes down to it people cherry picked the best bits and threw out the worst bits and thats how they arrived at the result.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion whether you with it or not, its part of the way we are used to living and thinking, you may not have much chance of changing my views nor me yours, we both need to accept that and there is no need ever to be patronizing or rude with comments, making people angry just entrenches positions that are more difficult to resolve.

You should not mention Farage in the same breath as Goebells, Farage is an outspoken patriot and he says what a lot of people think, there is nothing wrong with that, you may not agree with everything he says but a man who enjoys a good pint down the pub would make it an interesting evenings chat.

'Brexit means Brexit'

But what does Brexit actually mean? It seems to mean different things to different people.

My youngest daughter voted for Brexit - she thought it meant £350m a week extra for the NHS and dropping VAT on fuel bills and insurance. She is somewhat gobsmacked to find it actually means nothing of the sort and she was (her words) 'conned'.

Maybe you can accuse her of being stupid and naive to believe Boris et al - but I guess shes only one of many. The poor girl works 12 hours a day, six days a week - too busy working to pick over the subtleties of the arguments - she was making do with the 'soundbites'.

Who was Farage?

Who was Johnson?

Who was Cameron?

In 1975 I was young and I voted to go into the EEC, but, after seeing what it has become I voted this time to leave, the value of experience and history. My children are amazingly younger than me, yet they also voted to leave the EU, even though they have no recollection of life outside of it.

You must think that all older people wanted the leave the EU although I think the majority did, nor must you think that all younger people wanted stay, there was far more at stake in this referendum result than just staying or leaving, it washed over many areas from the EU, economy, immigration, sovereignty and the elite/ establishment versus the people ( the people not liking to be told that they are stupid if the dont understand xxxxxxx, that provokes a backlash in the voting habits ), so, when it comes down to it people cherry picked the best bits and threw out the worst bits and thats how they arrived at the result.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion whether you with it or not, its part of the way we are used to living and thinking, you may not have much chance of changing my views nor me yours, we both need to accept that and there is no need ever to be patronizing or rude with comments, making people angry just entrenches positions that are more difficult to resolve.

You should not mention Farage in the same breath as Goebells, Farage is an outspoken patriot and he says what a lot of people think, there is nothing wrong with that, you may not agree with everything he says but a man who enjoys a good pint down the pub would make it an interesting evenings chat.

Farage is the Bentley-driving millionaire son of a stockbroker who's never had a proper job in his life. An immigrant wife and an immigrant ex-wife. He's spent the last 17 years living well off the institution he claims to despise.

The 'bloke' act is just that - an act. Sunday 3rd July he was at a billionaire Russian's garden party celebrating with his mate (and sometime paymaster) Rupert Murdoch. Murdoch is no friend of the UK and a Republican. Farage is a traitor.

'Brexit means Brexit'

But what does Brexit actually mean? It seems to mean different things to different people.

My youngest daughter voted for Brexit - she thought it meant £350m a week extra for the NHS and dropping VAT on fuel bills and insurance. She is somewhat gobsmacked to find it actually means nothing of the sort and she was (her words) 'conned'.

Maybe you can accuse her of being stupid and naive to believe Boris et al - but I guess shes only one of many. The poor girl works 12 hours a day, six days a week - too busy working to pick over the subtleties of the arguments - she was making do with the 'soundbites'.

I think she made a better judgement call than her father.

She has probably noticed that the sky has not fallen in ... despite what George and Project Fear would have us believe.

Apoat a little earlier about Farage ssounds rather like a bitter and jealous observation about someone you cannot stand and you compare him to a war criminal which is way over the top, I know he is a bit like marmite but really get a grip man! Its your right to like him but lets keep some perspective here.

I see Osborne is now history as Hammond takes over from him at the Treasury, Boris is the new Foreign Secretary and David Davis is in charge of getting us out of the EU. No Gove he has burnt his bridges, fir the time being.

Apoat a little earlier about Farage ssounds rather like a bitter and jealous observation about someone you cannot stand and you compare him to a war criminal which is way over the top, I know he is a bit like marmite but really get a grip man! Its your right to like him but lets keep some perspective here.

I see Osborne is now history as Hammond takes over from him at the Treasury, Boris is the new Foreign Secretary and David Davis is in charge of getting us out of the EU. No Gove he has burnt his bridges, fir the time being.

Don't be too upset with the comparisons, the use of language, images, lies, scapegoating of foreigners, rhetoric and nationalism are reasonably justifications for it being made.

The only real objection is on the matter of degree.

Who is Mrs T."Daisy" May anyway, never heard of her before.?.Hope shes as good as Mrs Thatcher was.

She's nothing like Thatcher, Thatcher loved and supported the police.

May has been ripping the heart out of the police for the past 5 years and wants to privatize them.

May was they last choice for PM, Brexit destroyed the rest of the Tory leadership.

She knows none of them want her as PM, her only chance is to be a success at Brexit.

If the UK doesn't leave, she'll be gone forever.

If she leaves but messes it up, she'll be gone forever.

This is her one chance at PM, it was always her only chance at PM.

And she knows it.

Edited by MissAndry

Parliament is mandated by the people.

That is why it is a democracy and why Cameron repeatedly refers to "public service".

Could you give more information on who are "the mob".

Who is Mrs T."Daisy" May anyway, never heard of her before.?.Hope shes as good as Mrs Thatcher was.

She's nothing like Thatcher, Thatcher loved and supported the police.

May has been ripping the heart out of the police for the past 5 years and wants to privatize them.

May was they last choice for PM, Brexit destroyed the rest of the Tory leadership.

She knows none of them want her as PM, her only chance is to be a success at Brexit.

If the UK doesn't leave, she'll be gone forever.

If she leaves but messes it up, she'll be gone forever.

This is her one chance at PM, it was always her only chance at PM.

And she knows it.

She does look a bit of a Dolly Mop. Old Mrs T whooped them lefty Brits good, so good many post here.cheesy.gif

I think he means the 33m citizens who voted democratically, resulting in a majority to leave the EU.

He is still dreaming about Brexit not happening but I think he must have missed the determination expressed by the Prime Minister to ensure that "Brexit means Brexit".

There is no way that article 50 will not be triggered.............unless they repeal the 1972 Act.

Edited by Jip99

Whatever anyone says -- the divorce will not happen unless UK invokes Article 50, and not a single one of the sitting politicians has said they will do that.

They better had !

regards Worgeordie

WhT are you going to if they din't?

Fly back to the UK and start claiming welfare to spite them?

I think he means the 33m citizens who voted democratically, resulting in a majority to leave the EU.

He is still dreaming about Brexit not happening but I think he must have missed the determination expressed by the Prime Minister to ensure that "Brexit means Brexit".

There is no way that article 50 will not be triggered.............unless they repeal the 1972 Act.

So you mean the 17 million or so of the UK's population, circa 67 million? For the avoidance of doubt I am not trying to be argumentative nor am I necessarily advocating a second referendum, simply, I thought that expressing the numbers the way I did was a sensible rebuttal to you expressing the numbers the way you did plus it adds a little more perspective, don't you think. wink.png

I almost forgot to ask, what does Brexit actually mean, how will we know when it's started, happened and when it's finished, what are the key milestones or indicators?

Edited by chiang mai