Thailand gun death rate TWICE as high as US

webfact

hee haw there you people. we are startin' another rootin tootin gun thread. good on you.

everybody who does not have a gun because they don't like them and wants to take them away line up over to the left.

everybody who does have a gun because they like them and wants to keep them line up over to the right.

ready? ok. people on the left take the guns from the people on the right. you have one minute.

survivors of the gun thread don't forget about the BBQ ribs dinner next weekend.

clap2.gifcheesy.gif YEEEEE-HAW!!!!!

Will Daisy Duke be there? Count me in!

Daisy is making babies with her brother that day.

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All those gun control laws and....... This.

California has some pretty strict gun laws too.

It ain't the gun that does the killing! No more than it was the knife that did the killing of that guy on Pahonyothin a few weeks ago over the Ipad, or that guy machete that killed that family recently, or the hoe that did the killing on Koh Tao, or the psycho that slit his girlfrinds throat on walking street, or the baseball bat that beat that biker to death recently in Pattaya, or........

True but a major part of it relates to access to guns: Australia used to have mass shootings ( in Melbourne Queen St , postal, Hoddle Street, a psycho, in Sydney, lunatic bikies, InTasmania/Port Arthur, a psycho).. Not one mass shooting since the gun buyback and a dramatic decline in gun murders and suicides.

The gun buyback was for legally owned semi or fully automatic weapons.

You are naive to draw the conclusion that the gun buyback prevented further atrocities in Australia.

Even if the gun buyback had have occurred prior to your list of events there is little chance they would have been prevented because not one of the weapons used in any of those events was targeted by the buyback. I exclude the M1 Carbine from Queens St because it had a defect which restricted it to single shot only.

Get your facts straight before posting, the buy back was for all firearms, and from memory there was no such thing as legally owned semi or fully automatic weapons at that time

My facts:

I myself legally owned semi-automatic Centerfire and Rimfire weapons which were "bought-back" at the time.

The buyback was mandatory for nearly all semi-automatic weapons and called in all the legally owned ones because the were registered and accounted for.

Non semi-automatic weapons were never banned and are still legal today.

How many criminals handed in their illegal unregistered weapons do you think?

Sources need to be checked on this report. I dont see anything (just a quick browse) on the NPR or IHME websites to corroborate this report. If anyone does, please post. IHME seems interested in heatlh related topics not gun related and there is no section I can see on gun deaths.

Finally, a TRUE hub opportunity!

Joking aside, that's scary. Reminds one that we must keep our tempers in tact when dealing with a lot of Thais. I've heard many times that a huge number of them have guns.

Have guns, have knives, have cars.

Can't use any of the above.

They generally carry them pointing at their testicles, without a holster, under their clothes ("Mexican carry", but that doesn't have to be towards your testicles). It's virtually impossible to get the gun out without a mishap. They don't wear boxer shorts and so the gun knocks about between their jeans or shorts and their legs. They don't even always wear proper thickness shorts. Often they have nylon shorts, but then they put a shawl round to hold it all in.

As with any place where the people are prone to violence, just hit them in the head and make off if you see it deteriorating. Or, make off.

The ones who can fight don't generally carry guns about with them.

I think knives are a bigger likelihood of hurting you, but not a bigger likelihood of killing you as you'll probably manage to put your arms in the way.

Normally violence here's done in big gangs. The exception to this is when the person's been paid to go and shoot someone, but when that happens, we're talking something much more serious. But on the upside, would you pay someone from Thailand to do anything and expect to get the result that you want?

In 1993 gun deaths in the US were 7 per 100,000 [ about where this article claims Thailand is now ] and by 2013 had dropped to a little over 3. According to the FBI website violent crime in the US has dropped by 49% from 1992 until 2012 and is now over a 50% drop. Meanwhile gun sales during that same period have exploded especially in the past 7 years of Obama when over 100,000,000 more have been sold. The FBI just stated that during the "black Friday" super shopping day last week a new record was set for the most background checks for new gun ownership in history. The above information is probably a bit shocking to my Brit friends out there.

Here is a good video that explains things you won't see on outlets like CNN, BBC, etc.

http://www.infowars.com/gun-violence-down-gun-free-zone-murders-up/

The reason for the increase in gun sales are because the American people are waking up to the control and slavery their infiltrated government has planned for them.

I used to live out in the countryside and my neibours were astounded i did not have a gun in the house, need less to say a few offered to lend me there spare shotguns . gun licence smoley is just like a driving licence but more thaius probably actually have the latter

As for USA the data do not show the number of suicide made with guns. Wich is hudge. It's made for scared people. Just like in France and in Europe where we are supposed to be in a war with Islamic State. We are, all citizens, in danger, we are all possible target for terrorists. But the first decision European Commision is trying to take is to ban guns ownership from Europe. They don't want legal ownership of gun. They don't want honnest cityzens to have gun. They say that it is to fight terrorism! Bullshit. They are affraid of us , the people , not of the terrorists. It's the same all over the world. This campaign is made to help governments to disarm honest people.

And all the sheep don't understand this. They are so disgustingly ignorant.

Statistics are always good to prove what you want to prove.

Maybe Americans are too stupid to use guns?

Never mind, Americans are still top of the world in killing, they just use different weapons which are more painful. But they certainly have God on their side.

Edited by micmichd

As for USA the data do not show the number of suicide made with guns. Wich is hudge. It's made for scared people. Just like in France and in Europe where we are supposed to be in a war with Islamic State. We are, all citizens, in danger, we are all possible target for terrorists. But the first decision European Commision is trying to take is to ban guns ownership from Europe. They don't want legal ownership of gun. They don't want honnest cityzens to have gun. They say that it is to fight terrorism! Bullshit. They are affraid of us , the people , not of the terrorists. It's the same all over the world. This campaign is made to help governments to disarm honest people.

Yep, next they will be dosing the water supply with drugs to ensure the honest people are fully compliant with the government's agenda.....

They are now,,, just like Hitler did.

It's called Floride. Do some research, please take ten minutes and come back with a different attitude.

Quick Poll : how many of the pro guns guys here have a gun in thailand for your own safety and travel with it at all time, because they are scared to death of the bad guys with guns?

I had a carry permit in Florida mainly because of carrying cash home from my business at night but I can't legally own a gun in Thailand and even if I could if you had to shoot a Thai good chance you would be blamed no matter what the real situation was. So I settle for a dog and a machete at home. Just use your head and remain situationally aware.

You need a shovel. The ground here's very easy to dig up. The whole burying bodies will never cross their minds. They just leave them in bushes if they're really clever, so they take a whole three minutes to find---if they're lucky that's only ten minutes less than the time to drag the body to a bush. Make sure nothing's sticking out. Rigor mortis could present problems as limbs sometimes elongate and protrude. If there's erectile elongation, that's fine, as they'll just open a holy shrine---if anyone notices, which is incredibly unlikely.

You can actually get a carry licence in any country, even where you're not allowed a gun. All you have to do is apply to your home state and make a case for it. That's how most of the Jewish gangsters from Russia who live in London do it. Some don't bother and just pay the carriers a lot of money and count on being able to pay their way out of it. It's going to be the same here.

Edited by Tom Cahill

Got that right my friend.

Why are is there never any hysteria over these weapons that kill people all the time?

a1eed041ae5364fb2277602c05d58bb5.jpg

46fbf68fad081b1f5de2508cdb0b7af9.941x596

Line 'em up portray them as the Evil Killing Machines that they are.

I guess guns go "BANG" though, which makes them more scary.

Killing with a gun is pretty clean and impersonal.

From a distance, you point and pull the trigger..they fall down and die.

To kill with a knife, you need to be close, look them in the eye and feel the warm blood spray all over you.

Most people do noy have the "eggs" to kill up close and personal with a blade.

That's why.

I have heard this argument before that guns protect us from our governments. Is this really true? Can small arms really protect us from tanks and armoured vehicles? Air bombardment? Nuclear and chemical weapons? Basically the argument is silly because a loosely gathered bunch of civilians (militia) with small arms is simply no match for the heavy weaponry that a state can bring to the party. So, its a rather silly argument IMO.

Edited by Mr Creosote

One big thing here is the southern insurgency. I'm not sure how much it contributes to this but it skews the average a lot.

the southern insurgency does not equal one night in south central Los Angeles. smile.png

Or Detroit, Chcago, New Orleans, St. Louis or any of the other Democrat run crapholes in the US where gangbangers kill each other and a few white folks just for sport. Those cities have some of the toughest gun control laws in the country, but if you took them out of the statistics from the FBI, the US would be near the bottom in the world for gun deaths. Interestingly enough, the cities and states with concealed carry laws have a gun crime rate of less than half of the jurisdictions with tight gun control.

I have owned firearms for over 60 years and never found it necessary to shoot anyone, nor did any of the many guns I own decide to go out one night and gun somebody down. They are tools and only as dangerous as the person holding them.

It's a cultural problem more than anything. That and a lack of respect for others and contempt for the rule of law. In that respect, Bangkok and other large cities in Thailand are no different than Chicago or East LA.

All those gun control laws and....... This.

California has some pretty strict gun laws too.

It ain't the gun that does the killing! No more than it was the knife that did the killing of that guy on Pahonyothin a few weeks ago over the Ipad, or that guy machete that killed that family recently, or the hoe that did the killing on Koh Tao, or the psycho that slit his girlfrinds throat on walking street, or the baseball bat that beat that biker to death recently in Pattaya, or........

Not quite. Guns are fetishistic. Guns have persona. Guns have charisma. They are like a living thing in the pocket whispering "fire me". And Thais are animist.

That would be same as a car ,,,Drive me like a race car,,Kill innocent people,,,It's not the gun or the car/van/bus/tuk tuk,,IT"S the F,,,n Idiots driven/shooting the vehicle/gun GET Real,Just to many stupid people.

Those figures must be totally skewed by the troubles down south. Typical of statistics -- look at the person compiling the numbers to see what hidden agenda they are supporting wink.png

True enough, get out of the inner cities of the USA and the gun deaths drop dramatically.

One can cherry-pick statistics to support any argument.

The principal difference seems to be the access to semi-automatic and automatic weapons in the US. These weapons have only one purpose - killing people. To pretend they are hunting weapons is ridiculous. A good roo shooter in Australia will account for 50 roos in a night's hunting, armed only with a bolt-action rifle. I've been hunting with a rabbit shooter using a single shot 0.22 who head-shot 150 rabbits in one night. He would have regarded any automatics as butchery.

I haven't heard of mass shootings in Thailand. I assume that's because semi and full automatics are restricted to the military.

After the Port Arthur massacre in 1992, the ownership of semi-automatic and automatic was severely restricted. Australia hasn't had a mass shooting since.

Switzerland is frequently cited as an example of high gun ownership without gun crime. What the users of this datum neglect to mention is gun owners in Switzerland have to renew their permits once/month.

The Sandy Hook mass shooting proved to me American gun supporters are insane. The response to the shooting of 20 children was an upsurge in gun sales. If anything was going to bring about a rethink of the Second Amendment, that event was it.

Winston Churchill once said Americans usually get to the right solution, after they have tried all other options. Sadly, in the case of American gun ideology, so far he's wrong.

I have heard this argument before that guns protect us from our governments. Is this really true? Can small arms really protect us from tanks and armoured vehicles? Air bombardment? Nuclear and chemical weapons? Basically the argument is silly because a loosely gathered bunch of civilians (militia) with small arms is simply no match for the heavy weaponry that a state can bring to the party. So, its a rather silly argument IMO.

I have heard your argument before also but there is more to it. The US gov would not use nukes or even air bombardment etc on the US cities. There is so much talk of revolution in the states now and if it did break out it would be guerrilla type warfare with a rifle behind every tree and building. That type of warfare has allowed rag tag militias to hold off or even defeat big armies many times in history. And don't forget in most revolutions there is a point where the rank and file of the police and military have to decide who to side with.... the incumbent power structure or the people or opposing power structure. I'm not advocating revolution by the way, just saying.

just so i can keep on living, i always assume any Thai I interact with has a gun.

it is a good habit i picked up living in parts of the US where citizens can legally carry concealed guns to defend themselves.

i am thinking you would see way more fights and assaults between Thais if it was not for the fear of getting your head blown off.

and in a country where there are no police you can rely on the help you it is almost a necessity.

What a sad statement. The day I think like that is the day I leave Thailand. I have never felt threatened in Thailand. I guess I must live in the wrong place (not) Sure I have seen the odd bar fight (Thais and Farangs) but nothing more than a drunken hissie fit.

I would NOT live in the US even if it was cheaper than Thailand. Knowing every second citizen was carrying would cause me a lot of concern

The USA doesnt have the same continual conflict in 3 of it's states as Thailand has,so to that end I find the statistics a little unfair,but you don't need to be an accountant to be able to make statistics appear how you want them to.

I personally have lived here on and off for 30 years,and in all those years not a hint of trouble.

Basic commonsense is all thats required,but the problem with commonsense these days is that it's not very common.

A largely low-income, uneducated populace with:

The smallest penises in the World.

In a society built on face, status and power, where one can never progress.

Where anger and frustration are to be bottled up no matter what.

Where there is no rule of law, never mind enforcement of such.

All bundled up in a stinking hot, humid, feted shiphole.

Hardly surprising, is it.

just so i can keep on living, i always assume any Thai I interact with has a gun.

it is a good habit i picked up living in parts of the US where citizens can legally carry concealed guns to defend themselves.

i am thinking you would see way more fights and assaults between Thais if it was not for the fear of getting your head blown off.

and in a country where there are no police you can rely on the help you it is almost a necessity.

What a sad statement. The day I think like that is the day I leave Thailand. I have never felt threatened in Thailand. I guess I must live in the wrong place (not) Sure I have seen the odd bar fight (Thais and Farangs) but nothing more than a drunken hissie fit.

I would NOT live in the US even if it was cheaper than Thailand. Knowing every second citizen was carrying would cause me a lot of concern

" every second citizen".....where do foreigners get these ideas about the US. Actually I would feel the safest at somewhere like a country western concern in Texas where lots of good citizens are carrying. Notice the terrorist and other nutcases always attack soft targets [ " gun free zones" ] because they know no one is going to shoot back at them.