Thai course

Kathiejs

I just wondered if anyone had experience of this course http://www.easystudythai.com/learn-thai-course-info/thai-course-information/171-coversational-thai-for-beginners

I'm aware there are other better-known providers, but the location of this one is much more convenient.

I'm not looking to eventually become fluent as we're not here permanently - just to get by in the market etc.

This school is run by "Khru Yai", who I knew from my days of studying Thai at the YMCA in 2009-2011. She was considered one of the best Thai teachers at the Y. I knew she dreamed of opening her own Thai school and I'm glad to see she did. Some of the other teachers shown on the staff were also some of the best Thai teachers at the Y in that era.

If the location of this school and the course schedule is convenient for you, I'd give it my recommendation.

I'm taking classes at the Y now and am quite happy with it but it is a bit slow, guess it has to be for everyone.

The schedule for easystudy and even course name is very similar to the Y

Anyone who has taken classes at both are they similar?

What's better and worse about them when comparing?

For many, I would think it's a matter of convenience. Location and schedule of the classes. The Y and Easy Study are on opposite sides of town.

You're right, the books and teaching methods look very similar. I haven't studied at Easy Study, but I suspect that Khru Yai's material has fewer errors than what we were using at the Y at the time I was there. She didn't like some of the errors in their books but they didn't want to authorize reprints to make corrections. I hope they have by now. Also, she had taken upon herself to make CD-Roms for each of their books that were very helpful. The Y let her sell those herself for a very reasonable price. None of the other teachers had that kind of initiative.

I would check out the status of the school's future. I have a friend that goes to EAsy Study Thai now and he told me just a couple of days ago that they will be shutting down soon, due to the drop of students unable to obtain educations visa's easily. I cant say when or if it is for sure, just what he told me and he goes there 4 times a week

Not sure about the reprints but I bought a new book full of errors a month ago.

The teacher said the books are not very good and has us edit them correctly as we go.

I confused by the title of Easy Study as at the Y they had a class call something like Everyday Life which was very basic and short.

I'm taking Standard Thai at the Y now and it has similar levels as Easy Course so not sure what it is.

Also Easy Study says Speaking Thai for Beginner Course and Everyday life Thai Conversation for Beginners so typical having two different names will cause confusion.

Maybe that is part of learning Thai

Excellent info, thanks all. I looked at the YMCA course but it's B1900 for 10 hours, while Easystudy is B2000 for 24 hours, a book and a CD. And Easystudy is walking distance from our condo, which is a major plus as it's 3 mornings a week. I just hope it's open through January at least!

Edited by Kathiejs

yes when i was learning at Easy Study Thai some of the books that they used were older so the teacher kept on saying we dont talk like that anymore and then she would change the sentence it only seems to be in a particular series of books from what i noticed.. The big problem with most of these courses is they teach you proper thai... which sounds funny to say that but every day Thai is filled with shortcuts and slang, something you really got to pick up by actually talking to Thai people.. but there is nothing wrong with taking these courses at least it gives you some understanding and helps you pick up a few words and phrases

Not sure about the reprints but I bought a new book full of errors a month ago.

The teacher said the books are not very good and has us edit them correctly as we go.

I confused by the title of Easy Study as at the Y they had a class call something like Everyday Life which was very basic and short.

I'm taking Standard Thai at the Y now and it has similar levels as Easy Course so not sure what it is.

Also Easy Study says Speaking Thai for Beginner Course and Everyday life Thai Conversation for Beginners so typical having two different names will cause confusion.

Maybe that is part of learning Thai

Edited by krey

That's a very good point, I've been told I'm learning very formal Thai, not typical modern everyday conversation which is what I should be needing more.

That's what often happens with learners of English in other countries, especially because formal English is easier to learn in some ways. People sometimes switch to what they think is simpler language when dealing with a learner, but actually what they do is switch to less formal language. Informal English often makes no sense to a learner because they try to translate it literally so, for example, they might understand "argue" but not "fall out" (fall out of what?!).

Excellent info, thanks all. I looked at the YMCA course but it's B1900 for 10 hours, while Easystudy is B2000 for 24 hours, a book and a CD. And Easystudy is walking distance from our condo, which is a major plus as it's 3 mornings a week. I just hope it's open through January at least!

The course I am taking is 2 hrs x 3 times per week x 5 weeks = 30 hrs for 2000 + baht (under 3000 bht)

This is a group class which mine started with 11 ppl but seems to have lost some or at least a few don't show per class

But this is a mute point if comparing to a now closed place.

There is something to say for a school that has been around for years, I took the "Thai for Fun" course, as I'll call it, 5 yrs ago.

Continuation of where you left off is worthwhile factor to consider plus parking is necessary for me.

I could mention some flaw about the Y too but then I would sound like I'm posting on Thaivisa - DOH bah.gif

Edited by junglechef

My opinion is that taking a class is a waste of time and money. Something actually came through my facebook feed voicing the same opinion. If you're really interested in learning the language, you've gotta get your hands dirty doing it. You can get this book here: http://www.amazon.com/Thai-Travelers-Benjawan-Poomsan-Becker/dp/188752178X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1449890708&sr=8-1&keywords=thai+for+travelers for about 300 baht, and it will get you a lot further than sitting in a class will get you. Taking a class is for people who want to be able to pat themselves on the back to say they made an attempt to learn the language, but aren't really interested in putting in the effort. (Or those people who need a visa.)

Well, LarryBird, it's nice that somebody on facebook shares your opinion. I don't.

But I do enjoy patting myself on the back for making an attempt with no effort other than 6-10 hours per week in class and an hour or two of homework most days.

Did you learn to read Thai by getting your hands dirty?

My opinion is that taking a class is a waste of time and money. Something actually came through my facebook feed voicing the same opinion. If you're really interested in learning the language, you've gotta get your hands dirty doing it. You can get this book here: http://www.amazon.com/Thai-Travelers-Benjawan-Poomsan-Becker/dp/188752178X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1449890708&sr=8-1&keywords=thai+for+travelers for about 300 baht, and it will get you a lot further than sitting in a class will get you. Taking a class is for people who want to be able to pat themselves on the back to say they made an attempt to learn the language, but aren't really interested in putting in the effort. (Or those people who need a visa.)

Glad you were successful, sorry your not able to wish the same to others who are trying as well in a way they think think might work for them.

My wish is that people use their resources most efficiently. Did you read the article I posted, or at least the section where the author describes what happens in a class room? If people spent the half an hour it takes them getting back and forth from class, with their nose buried in a book or memorizing flash cards, they will be a lot better off than sitting in class for two hours. As I mentioned, ANKI is an invaluable resource. I wonder how many teachers actually point their students towards this? I would guess none, because they're afraid of losing customers. The biggest benefactors from these language courses are the teachers and the owners. Also, ANKI costs about $15 for the iPhone version, and is free for Android. But, since people are used to getting free apps, they'll scoff at the price, even though that $15 will go a lot further than any money spent towards a course.

Here are some things that I did that I believe are pretty much common sense, but require a bit of effort. One thing I did to learn the tones, was to have my wife say the same vowel in consonant, but in the five different tones. I recorded it on an audio file, and after she said the word, I identified the tone. For each word, we did an individual file. So then, I could take those files, and make a play list, and play it randomly, so I could test myself and learn the tones. Cost: free of charge. Then I got some index cards, wrote the English word on one side, Thai word on the other.. Cost: 80 baht per 100 cards, each card I cut up in quarters.. (I actually have probably 1500 flash cards around my house if anyone wants them.) Also, I use google keep to write down any english word or phrase I have trouble communicating, and translate it later, or ask my wife for help. Cost : $0. Also, I found a friend who had some free time that was interested in learning English. I helped them with English, they helped me with Thai. All of this seems like common sense, and really a classroom just intuitively feels like the last way I would want to spend my time and money.

Pretty much all of the Poomsan Becker resources are good value, and high quality. They have a cd / booklet of slang, idioms, and proverbs. Those are all great, and will help you to understand Thailand better.

I am just trying to present an alternative point of view on how to study, I understand it sounds caustic. I really do think people are kind of kidding themselves if they're telling themselves that they're making an honest effort by going to a language class.

I found some real value in going to classes, esp. as a beginner. I didn't know very many people and made friends in class; some of those people are still my best friends nearly 8 years later. I was exposed to several teachers at the Y and found a couple very good ones who I could call upon to help with free lance work when I needed help with translation of documents or preparing for a meeting with Thai people. I don't have a Thai spouse, so I could ask the teachers questions about Thai culture. A teacher showed us how to make a krathong for Loi Krathong. Teachers shared their experiences growing up in Thailand. They pointed us toward Thai websites for CM news, etc, that we never would have found on our own. Later I did semi-private lessons with my favorite teacher from the Y and another student from the Y. She kept us up-to-date on the latest Thai music hits and which Thai movies were worth seeing and which weren't.

You don't get this stuff from on-line sources and flash cards.

Don't get me wrong, I use the other methods that Larry Bird is advocating to try to keep my Thai language skills good now that I'm not taking lessons and I definitely used those tools and study aids back when I spent 15 - 20 hrs/week studying outside of class time.

LarryBird:

Learning Thai in a way will work for me and that I will enjoy the experience, sanuk and all that smile.png , is what I care about.

That you care what other people do with their time and money is not a concern of mine.

No I didn't read your link, had no interest as I'm happy with my class room lessons, so I'm saving my valuable time (and guess money as time is money after all) to banter with you.

(ok just looked at it but why should I listen to another person who puts something up on the net?)

You make a lot of assumptions, like we all have a willing and able Thai coach at home, are fluent in the use of high tech gadgetry, are concerned with the cost and most of all your pretension of knowing that those who take a class aren't even trying not to mention that you think you know what's better for them then they do.

If you're really "just trying to present an alternative point of view on how to study" insulting people is a funny way to do it.

If you "really do think people are kind of kidding themselves if they're telling themselves that they're making an honest effort by going to a language class." without knowing or even asking why they have taken that route I wonder who is kidding themselves.

Still sorry you can't be happy for others unless they do what you tell them too.

I bet if they gave you the money you think you're saving them that will cheer you up even if it deprives them of the Thai language skills they so desperately wish for.

Edited by junglechef

Op states : "I'm not looking to eventually become fluent as we're not here permanently - just to get by in the market etc." My recommendation for him/her is to get the book I linked. I'm not sure why you're taking such offense to my general point which is that class is a waste of time. I shared the article mainly to show that there are others with the same sentiment. I forgot to put in a qualifier with my statement, which is that if people use a class as their ONLY resource, they are kidding themselves into thinking they made an honest effort. With the state of traffic and the general hassles of getting around in Chiang Mai, I would consider going and attending a live class to possibly be a net negative.

"I bet if they gave you the money you think you're saving them that will cheer you up even if it deprives them of the Thai language skills they so desperately wish for." I think the saddest part about that statement is that you actually think it's clever.

When you consider the fact that some people use the language course for a loophole in getting a visa, it only strengthens my argument more.

"You make a lot of assumptions, like we all have a willing and able Thai coach at home, are fluent in the use of high tech gadgetry, are concerned with the cost and most of all your pretension of knowing that those who take a class aren't even trying not to mention that you think you know what's better for them then they do." --- Ya, wild assumptions that people living in Thailand might have access to a Thai person!!! My main point is that if you want to reach a level of proficiency, it takes a lot of work and consistent effort, which is what NancyL also implied. Also note that a lot of the benefits to going to class Nancy cited didn't have much to do with becoming proficient in Thai. I do see the advantage to having a private tutor that can give a lot of attention to pronunciation and answering specific questions.

Is anyone using the online HighSpeed language course? Could do with some feedback on that as an alternative to classes or the usual books.

Some years ago I tried to learn Thai via several language schools including CMU's version (for six months until the course was suddenly closed...) - but didn't get what I needed as regards colloquial Thai as used in the more rural district where I live. I concluded that all on offer was either 'tourist Thai' or Bangkok Thai and , quite frankly, gave up, much to my shame.

Now, due to changing circumstances, I really feel it's about time to make a real effort and am reluctant to sign up with another school, (however well recommended) - been there, done that. I did work hard, especially on the CMU course, but seem to have forgotten most of what I learned.

Junglechef, if I could appeal to you on a more personal note, I'd like to ask, how do you think you became an expert chef. I would imagine there was some culinary school, but I would also presume there were countless hours spent experimenting, reading Gastronomique, in todays age it would involve watching youtube, learning from friends, etc. (I would also consider culinary school a bit different from language school as it is a bit more hands on..)

I would also add that for me, learning a language is a lot more of a journey than a destination. I loved studying flashcards before bed, listening to audio lessons while walking a trail, or studying with a friend. I can objectively say, the end result really wasn't that great, but I definitely enjoyed the process. I stand by my recommendation, go out there and be resourceful. Learning a language can be very meditative. I spent countless hours learning vocabulary and phrases where my mind was completely focused on the subject matter and I forgot about life's other distractions. I don't ever remember thoroughly enjoying being in class, and I don't have too many memories of other people preferring to be in class. All I can remember are students staring at the clock..

Is anyone using the online HighSpeed language course? Could do with some feedback on that as an alternative to classes or the usual books.

Some years ago I tried to learn Thai via several language schools including CMU's version (for six months until the course was suddenly closed...) - but didn't get what I needed as regards colloquial Thai as used in the more rural district where I live. I concluded that all on offer was either 'tourist Thai' or Bangkok Thai and , quite frankly, gave up, much to my shame.

Now, due to changing circumstances, I really feel it's about time to make a real effort and am reluctant to sign up with another school, (however well recommended) - been there, done that. I did work hard, especially on the CMU course, but seem to have forgotten most of what I learned.

Highspeed course is not to bad, i found it a bit all over the place though

Here are two good reviews for online options i personally like thaipod101 a bit better except the two actors can get a tad annoying with bad jokes and the same opening on each video.. Learn thai Podcast is pretty good too but it is not as structured and laid out as Thaipod101. Also Thaipod101 has a premium feature where you can ask questions to a teacher, they respond to your questions usually within one day

http://learnthaireviews.com/learn-thai-podcast-review/

http://learnthaireviews.com/thai-pod-101-language-program-review/

thai pod 101 probably has the best features for doing the course on your desktop and on your mobile device... however after you join up i might opt out of their mailer, its highly annoying, sending you many many ads to join the course yet you already did:)

I had an email from the school yesteday confirming the dates of the next course, so it can't be shut yet.

I tried to learn from a 'Thai for Travellers' book last time I was in Thailand, but as a complete beginner I found it hopeless. A book can never teach you pronunciation - videos are a little better but still can't give me feedback on my pronunciation. And unless I grab some random person off the street, no, I don't have access to a Thai person - I've only been here 5 days. The "listen & repeat" methods don't work for me because my learning style is Theorist - in order to learn things I need to know why they are as they are, and for languages that means understanding the grammar. Other than French, which I did at school and have used quite a lot since, the only language that has 'stuck' has been Spanish - the only one for which I've done classes.

At the end of the day, all I want to do is buy stuff and go places. I could probably manage as I have on previous trips to Thailand with nothing more than "hello" and "thank you", but I have the time on this trip and am staying a 10 minute walk from the school.

I enjoy classes - I've done loads, in all sorts of subjects from archaeology to upholstery, just for fun. I even did a CELTA just because it was interesting and I could wangle my employer to pay for it (quite hard work that one!). Nobody will be using the course that I'm considering as a loophole for getting a visa because it doesn't qualify, but if others on the course are slower it won't bother me. And so what if some of the benefits of joining a class are nothing to do with learning Thai.

Thanks, Krey - just investigated Thai Podcast, looks very suitable for my way of learning - I've just asked them one question about the CD course rather than downloading as my internet

connection is snail-style. If that works OK then the programme might well be exactly what I need.

Thanks, Krey - just investigated Thai Podcast, looks very suitable for my way of learning - I've just asked them one question about the CD course rather than downloading as my internet

connection is snail-style. If that works OK then the programme might well be exactly what I need.

Iif you are talking about Thaipod101 then it is a pretty lightweight program even on slow connections, I use it on my phone, coffee shops etc with hardly any issues, you can also join and try a few free lessons... as for Learn Thai Podcast it might be slower for downloading I would agree on a crappy internet line, however most files are pretty small overall but I could also download most of the stuff to my phone.. I use the DTAC unlimited Internet the 399 baht a month option and it all works fine for download that stuff. You can buy other packages on DTAC or whatever Internet you use on your phone for speed differences but for what I use it for it never made much difference, i have bought the 899 a month etc, didnt see any difference except the cost:)

As for the school being closed and the last message saying perhaps it isnt because they just emailed me with the new course. Not saying that Easy Study Thai will do this but many companies when going out of business in Thailand sell memberships to things right to the day they close down. trying to milk as much much as they can, like California Wow Fitness how they were selling memberships when they new they were bankrupt all the way to the final day they closed down... seen it many times before with companies in Thailand shutting down. Now I am not saying Easy Study Thai is doing this, just saying the possibility might exist if they are closing up shop

Edited by krey

LarryBird:
I struggled trying to learn Spanish. Then a took a 1 week, 8 hours a day immersion course, which had a few flyers for "homework", but the grunt work was sitting in front of a speaker and going through words and phrases, saying out loud and repeating.. Which is similar to point 1 and 2 on your link. Actually, several of the points are dead on IMO.

I learned so much in that 1 week.

So, I don't know if that immersion course would fall under the classroom, I don't think it did.

That link has a lot of great ideas. I am going to read it again and follow some of those and your ideas.

Thanks.