Can you register a car in your own name on a tourist visa?

jonw8uk

Yes you can. The only thing you need is a certificate of residency, which you can get if you hold a visa.

They actually issue COR to those holding tourist visa's, which in the future will be SE or METV?

Just asking

The British embassy will issue a COR on a 30 day exemption.

I've done it the last 3 years to renew my DL

Yes you can. The only thing you need is a certificate of residency, which you can get if you hold a visa.

They actually issue COR to those holding tourist visa's, which in the future will be SE or METV?

Just asking

The British embassy will issue a COR on a 30 day exemption.

I've done it the last 3 years to renew my DL

Now 3,040 baht but you avoid any hassle from immigration.

All the BE form wants to know is your address (and proof)

Edited by uptheos

Just asking

Depending on the office immigration does issue cor on visa exempt entry. And there are always the embassies.

So buying and registering on visa exempt is possible.

I very recently registered my car and bike while I was on Tourist Visa.

Ubon Ratchathani Immigration office refused to give certificate of residence, even tho I was registered as staying at my wife's family's home. They said I needed to be on 1 year extension... this can't be true, but was not possible to change her view.

I then went to Ubon Ratchathani Tourist Police, with my thai wife and they happily gave me 4 certificates of residence. 1 each for transfer ownership of car and bike, and 1 each for car and bike driver licences. I just needed copy of my passport photo page and visa page. Copy of wife's ID, copy of wife's tabien baan, with origionals to show and a passport size photo.

(Edit) cost for COR was 100 baht only. The form allowed me to request all 4 different letters on one form, and it's apparently 100 baht per request form. So knowing I needed 4 saved 300 baht.

Edited by streboris

I've done it, all I needed was a yellow Tabian Baan.

You don't need a Tabien Bahn, yellow or any other colour, all you need is a 30 day visa at minimum.

No, visa is not needed, visa exempt is accepted by DLT. But also required is proof of address, which can be: certificate of residence, work permit or yellow housebook.

You don't need a Tabien Bahn, yellow or any other colour, all you need is a 30 day visa at minimum.

No, visa is not needed, visa exempt is accepted by DLT. But also required is proof of address, which can be: certificate of residence, work permit or yellow housebook.

Errr, you can't get a certificate of residence from Immigration without some sort of visa, which is also a pre-requisite/part of a work permit. Well OK, sure there will be some offices somewhere that will issue them but the vast majority will not.

Errr, you can't get a certificate of residence from Immigration without some sort of visa, which is also a pre-requisite/part of a work permit. Well OK, sure there will be some offices somewhere that will issue them but the vast majority will not.

Incorrect. As mentioned, on visa exempt a certificate of residence can be given, plus there is always the embassy route who will also give certificate of residence on visa exempt entry.. On top of that, 30 day visa does not exist.

Edited by stevenl

Why would you buy a car if you are only going to be here for 30 to 90 days? Then you you will need to sell real quick before you leave. Sounds like alot of wasted time and money. Just rent a car, it will be alot cheaper.

But when the OP comes back to Thailand after 2 weeks he can buy a new car, and sell it again after 30 days, and buy a new one again 2 weeks later and so on. coffee1.gif

Incorrect. As mentioned, on visa exempt a certificate of residence can be given, plus there is always the embassy route who will also give certificate of residence on visa exempt entry.. On top of that, 30 day visa does not exist.

Good for you if you think you can get Thai Immigration to give you a COR without a visa, perhaps you should try and let us know how it all turns out!

BTW:

"30 day visa does not exist."

" Malaysian passport holders traveling from Malaysia, as they will continue to receive the 30-day Visa on Arrival".

http://www.thaiembassy.com/thailand/new-visa-rules.php

Good for you if you think you can get Thai Immigration to give you a COR without a visa, perhaps you should try and let us know how it all turns out!

BTW:

" Malaysian passport holders traveling from Malaysia, as they will continue to receive the 30-day Visa on Arrival".

Thanks for coming up with the one exception.

Tegsring core, on Phuket no issue with visa exempt entry. And you conveniently ommit the embassy route.

Why would you buy a car if you are only going to be here for 30 to 90 days? Then you you will need to sell real quick before you leave. Sounds like alot of wasted time and money. Just rent a car, it will be alot cheaper.

Ummmmm.....yes, silly me... Thanks for your input thumbsup.gif

BTW:

Thanks for coming up with the one exception.

Tegsring core, on Phuket no issue with visa exempt entry. And you conveniently ommit the embassy route.

The UK Embassy no longer issues certificates of residency.

BTW:

That's not a good example, as Malaysians don't qualify for Visa on Arrival. They can, however, arrive visa exempt and can get 30 days by air or 15 at a land border. They can even get 30 days if they arrive via the land border with Malaysia.

Despite the name, the website you have provided a link for is a commercial website and is well known for being riddled with errors and out of date information. It should not be relied on when searching for visa information for Thailand.

Sophon

As mentioned before. I got 2 certificates of residence 1 for registering my bike and one for my car.

I registered the car no Problem but they required a copy of my passport main page AND Visa page. Took half an hour.

My Bike on the otherhand... my bike was bought new and the agent registered it in Det Udom. When I submitted the COR and copies of my passport AND visa. The Traffic Office REFUSED to transfer to my name....

they demanded a copy of my VISA...

The problem was, the traffic offices have been given new instructions that a VISA is required... the instruction included an example photo, which is of a UK entry Visa... the uk visa says "United Kingdom VISA" at the top... the Thai visa says only "Kingdom of Thailand"... it doesnt say "VISA"

So because the thai visa doesn't say "VISA" at the top same as the example in their instruction, my papers kept getting refused! Took nearly a month to sort it.

Total 6 months to register my bike...

But how does one get a "certificate of residence"? How and to whom does one "prove" one lives at a certain address? I certainly don't have any utility bills or anything like that in my name.

For me, I go to the British embassy with my apartment contract and passport.

pay them 3000 odd baht (yep, for a letter!) and they issue a COR. Easy as that.

ChiangMai stated above they don't do this anymore, but failed to reply when I asked him further, as I got one this last september.

Call your embassy to check.

But how does one get a "certificate of residence"? How and to whom does one "prove" one lives at a certain address? I certainly don't have any utility bills or anything like that in my name.

ChiangMai stated above they don't do this anymore, but failed to reply when I asked him further, as I got one this last september.

Yikes, 3,000 baht! Nearly the cost of most motorbikes I need the Certificate of Residence for ownership transfer of! And, going to the Embassy in Bangkok is like climbing Mount Everest for me..

Luckily my car&bike-license-getter-guy told me today he just needed a 'letter confirming residency' from my employer (the school). Sounds iffy to me, but then, the work permit would be enough for any rational actor.

Yikes, 3,000 baht! Nearly the cost of most motorbikes I need the Certificate of Residence for ownership transfer of! And, going to the Embassy in Bangkok is like climbing Mount Everest for me..

Luckily my car&bike-license-getter-guy told me today he just needed a 'letter confirming residency' from my employer (the school). Sounds iffy to me, but then, the work permit would be enough for any rational actor.

You don't need that letter, your work permit will do.

You don't need that letter, your work permit will do.

I know you don't "by law", but my local license office absolutely insists on such a letter. You know how it is here. :(