Exact Interpretation Of "latest 3 Months Of Account Book"

Just another one of my clarification type of questions.

Normally, when people go in for extensions based on retirement, they go in about 30 days BEFORE the actual expiry date of their current permission to stay in Thailand.

So, this new police rule says that if qualifying based on bank account, you need to show that there is at least 800K baht for the "latest 3 months." Sounds clear enough ... but is it?

If you are coming in 30 days before expiry, do they mean the money has to be there

(1) 3 months BEFORE the date you come in for the renewal

(0R)

(2) 3 months BEFORE the actual date of the expiry of the permission to stay, which in effect would translate to approximately 2 months before the date of application for extension, if coming in about a month before expiry?

If it is (1), then the real life requirement is to have the money NOT 3 months, but more like 4 months BEFORE expiry of the permission to stay, again if applying one month before expiry.

If it is (2), well that is awfully non-intuitive.

Of course I am asking because in the slim chance that the answer is (2), I would be in better shape for my particular issue discussed on another thread. In any case, I think the exact interpretation of this rule is of interest to many. Cheers.

http://www.lawyer.th.com/National_Police_O...er_Oct_2006.pdf

Having the records of saving

money in the latest 3 months of

account book of any Bank in

Thailand not less than 800,000

Baht ...

Edited by Thaiquila

I think Immigration will be lenient on this new ruling, at least

for the first few months.

Naka.

Yes, some people are saying this, but how is one to really know?

Apparently, Sunbelt Asia who carries lots of cred on this board appears to be indicating the new regulation will be literally applied.

I happen to have been caught in a Kafkaesque black hole, I made plans based on the old rules and now it is too late to comply with the new rules (my money won't be seasoned enough), and have to make a decision very soon based on whether it is really true immigration will show flexibility.

Edited by Thaiquila

I happen to have been caught in a Kafkaesque black hole, I made plans based on the old rules and now it is too late to comply with the new rules (my money won't be seasoned enough), and have to make a decision very soon based on whether it is really true immigration will show flexibility.

You would think that the Immigration Dept would make some kind of announcement at least 3 months prior to any big change in the visa rules, but they were still making changes days after the new rules came into effect. Makes you feel like you are a bit under appreciated, doesn't it.

I've hear that they are going to offer a new English language course at all Universities, "Immigration Mind Reading for Farangs."

I think Immigration will be lenient on this new ruling, at least

for the first few months.

Naka.

Yes, some people are saying this, but how is one to really know?

Apparently, Sunbelt Asia who carries lots of cred on this board appears to be indicating the new regulation will be literally applied.

Thaiquila,

You sound as if you're just ABOUT to retire to Thailand on a RV? Is this the case? If so your situation is similar to mine - see here Reponses to my post. Maybe we should be exchanging information off the board and contributing back to the board when we have something solid. I've just PM'd you......

Mike (VBF)

Edited by VBF

Thaiquila, am I reading correctly that you feel you won't qualify for the retirement visa now only becasue you haven't had the money on hold in the Thai bank long enough?

If so, then I believe Immigrations will give you a provisional extension of your current length of stay for a sufficient time for you to have held the money long enough. e.g. If you put the money in the bank last month, so only have had it 30 days, they would give you a 60-day extension to give you time to qualify. Mind you, if at the end of that 60 days, if you hadn't met the qualification, you might be facing a 7-day pack-it-up-and-leave extension.

Or, am I totally misreading your situation?

Thaiquila, am I reading correctly that you feel you won't qualify for the retirement visa now only because you haven't had the money on hold in the Thai bank long enough?

If so, then I believe Immigrations will give you a provisional extension of your current length of stay for a sufficient time for you to have held the money long enough. e.g. If you put the money in the bank last month, so only have had it 30 days, they would give you a 60-day extension to give you time to qualify. Mind you, if at the end of that 60 days, if you hadn't met the qualification, you might be facing a 7-day pack-it-up-and-leave extension.

Yes, exactly.

I will entering Thailand on a single entry O visa but by the time I go for the extension (at 60 days) the money will not be in my account for 90 days. I think you are correct based on the CURRENT RULES, but Sunbelt appears to be saying the RULES WILL CHANGE NOVEMBER 15, at which time someone with an O Visa will need to show the money has been there for 90 days, or NO extension.

Of course, these rules aren't really published yet, so I don't know what to do! But I would be projected to apply for my one year extension well after 15 November.

Sunbelt suggested I NOT use my O visa and enter on a 30 day stamp and then CHANGE the visa IN Thailand (which according to Sunbelt I can do BEFORE Nov 15) without seasoned money, and they will then give me some kind of extension stamp until the money is seasoned enough.

Am I confused? Totally. I still don't know what to do and I fly very soon.

My other idea was to enter and NOT use the O visa I have, get a stamp instead, then do a visa run in a month, and enter again using the original O, and then after two months, the money would be seasoned.

Of course both of those options of not using the O assume immigration won't make me use the O.

See what I mean by Kafkaesque?

Maybe I will be needing a WORK PERMIT for all the work I have had to do to attempt to interpret the old rules, the current rules, and the rumoured new rules and how they all relate together?

Edited by Thaiquila

Thaiquila, am I reading correctly that you feel you won't qualify for the retirement visa now only because you haven't had the money on hold in the Thai bank long enough?

Yes, exactly.

I will entering Thailand on a single entry O visa but by the time I go for the extension (at 60 days) the money will not be in my account for 90 days. I think you are correct based on the CURRENT RULES, but Sunbelt appears to be saying the RULES WILL CHANGE NOVEMBER 15, at which time someone with an O Visa will need to show the money has been there for 90 days, or NO extension.

Of course, these rules aren't really published yet, so I don't know what to do! But I would be projected to apply for my one year extension well after 15 November.

Sunbelt suggested I NOT use my O visa and enter on a 30 day stamp and then CHANGE the visa IN Thailand (which according to Sunbelt I can do BEFORE Nov 15) without seasoned money, and they will then give me some kind of extension stamp until the money is seasoned enough.

Am I confused? Totally. I still don't know what to do and I fly very soon.

My other idea was to enter and NOT use the O visa I have, get a stamp instead, then do a visa run in a month, and enter again using the original O, and then after two months, the money would be seasoned.

Of course both of those options of not using the O assume immigration won't make me use the O.

See what I mean by Kafkaesque?

Maybe I will be needing a WORK PERMIT for all the work I have had to do to attempt to interpret the old rules, the current rules, and the rumoured new rules and how they all relate together?

The correct solution to this problem will greatly assist me in making my decision too!!

If Sunbelt gets the answer before Nov 15th hopefully they will clarify for us all. Many TIA to Sunbelt.