Car discounts

TheCruncher

Actually I'm still happy with my 5 year old Navara 4 door, but the steep price rise of 160.000 Baht on January 1st made me consider buying a new truck now.

I figured that if I buy now, I save the 160K and expect that after January second hand vehicles will also fetch a higher price, so that way I catch two birds with one stone.

This morning a friend was here and he told me that Chevrolet gives 150K discount on stock vehicles and up to 350K on test drive suv's.

Chevrolet would be the last brand I would chose, and since I'm satisfied with Nissan I would probably stay with that brand.

So the question is actually, are the other brands also applying those steep discounts and/or, will these discounts may be a regular in the new year as I feel that otherwise the car sales will simply crash?

Edited by TheCruncher

Pattaya Nissan were giving about 20,000 baht discount, Mitsubishi next door were giving 60,000

Nissan Pattaya has always been a place to avoid. When I bought my current Navara I saved over 100K, over the conditions I received in Pattaya, by driving to the dealer in Rayong.

In Rayong I also could have any color and version I wanted delivered in 3 days, where in Pattaya the lead time was 6 weeks at least.

Pickup truck price increases are nowhere near 1xx,000 Baht under the 2016 tax system - at most the tax increase is +4% - even if you add that to the full retail price (excise tax is applied to wholesale prices), you're talking about a maximum increase of under 50K for a top spec, maybe 10K for a base spec.

Pickup truck price increases are nowhere near 1xx,000 Baht under the 2016 tax system - at most the tax increase is +4% - even if you add that to the full retail price (excise tax is applied to wholesale prices), you're talking about a maximum increase of under 50K for a top spec, maybe 10K for a base spec.

I had seen the following post yesterday, but since I'm aware you're knowledgeable in this matter, do you think the poster just got an ear full from the salesman?

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/877805-car-booking-rises-to-over-20000-at-thailands-motor-expo/?p=10181523

A 4 Door Pic up is been handelt as a normal Car with white Plates, only the Two Door pay a lot less.

i just got my Nissan NP 300 4 Door , this Car will increase from January about 160000,- Bath as i been told by the Nissan Dealer.

I had seen the following post yesterday, but since I'm aware you're knowledgeable in this matter, do you think the poster just got an ear full from the salesman?

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/877805-car-booking-rises-to-over-20000-at-thailands-motor-expo/?p=10181523

A 4 Door Pic up is been handelt as a normal Car with white Plates, only the Two Door pay a lot less.

i just got my Nissan NP 300 4 Door , this Car will increase from January about 160000,- Bath as i been told by the Nissan Dealer.

There is something wrong with this information.

This is the current taxes on pickups:

Double Cab: 12%

Single cab and Extra Cab: 3%

(The current taxes are based on # of seats, not body style)

This is the new taxes:

Double Cab > 200gm/KM CO2: 15% (+3%)

Double Cab < 200gm/KM CO2: 12% (no change)

Extra Cab > 200gm/KM CO2: 7% (+4%)

Extra Cab < 200gm/KM CO2: 5% (+2%)

Single Cab > 200gm/KM CO2: 5% (+2%)

Single Cab < 200gm/KM CO2: 3% (no change)

It should be noted that most manufacturers have not officially announced their 2016 pickup prices. Given that, the best we can do is look at the "worst case" by adding the additional tax to the current MSRP. I should also be noted that most normal price rises happen in the first half of the year too though. They're never huge though.

If you want an example of a car that increases by 150K Baht, Ford have announced their 2016 Prices for the Everest. The top spec has a tax increase of 10% (20% to 30%), which translated the 2015 1.6M Baht price tag to 1.75M (+150K). But it should also be noted that the 2016 version has also been spec'd up - it's not the same as the 2015 version.

Edited by IMHO

OK, here's an actual example, with official pricing:

Ford Ranger Double Cab 3.2L 6AT Wildtrak

2015 tax rate: 12%

2016 tax rate: 15% (+3%)

2015 Price: 1,139,000

2016 Price: 1,189,000 (+50,000 Baht)

However, as with the Everest, the 2016 model Ranger also gets new features (adaptive cruise control, lane keeping assist, forward collision mitigation, driver fatigue warning), which account for at least some of the extra 50K.

Edited by IMHO

There is something wrong with this information.

This is the current taxes on pickups:

Double Cab: 12%

Single cab and Extra Cab: 3%

(The current taxes are based on # of seats, not body style)

This is the new taxes:

Double Cab > 200gm/KM CO2: 15% (+3%)

Double Cab < 200gm/KM CO2: 12% (no change)

Extra Cab > 200gm/KM CO2: 7% (+4%)

Extra Cab < 200gm/KM CO2: 5% (+2%)

Single Cab > 200gm/KM CO2: 5% (+2%)

Single Cab < 200gm/KM CO2: 3% (no change)

It should be noted that most manufacturers have not officially announced their 2016 pickup prices. Given that, the best we can do is look at the "worst case" by adding the additional tax to the current MSRP. I should also be noted that most normal price rises happen in the first half of the year too though. They're never huge though.

If you want an example of a car that increases by 150K Baht, Ford have announced their 2016 Prices for the Everest. The top spec has a tax increase of 10% (20% to 30%), which translated the 2015 1.6M Baht price tag to 1.75M (+150K). But it should also be noted that the 2016 version has also been spec'd up - it's not the same as the 2015 version.

Looks as if there is no reason to panic yet.

Thanks for the detailed info.