Car booking rises to over 20,000 at Thailand's Motor Expo

webfact

Car booking rises to over 20,000 at Motor Expo

36011-wpcf_728x410.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Thailand's 32nd Motor Expo entered the ninth day with car bookings rising steadily to 23,893 and Toyota still leading the total cars booked.

The rush to book new cars came as car prices will be adjusted higher when the new automobile tax bracket takes effect next year.

Large number of consumers has taken the opportunity of the National Constitution Day holiday yesterday to attend the Motor Expo at the Impact Arena Muang Thong Thani to view prospective purchases.

Although overall purchasing power remains low, car buyers have taken the opportunity to view automobiles prior to the new automotive tax bracket which will begin to be applied on January 1, 2016.

Under the new tax, car prices will increase significantly especially for car between 1,800 – 2,000 cc in capacity which will now be taxed based on emissions.

This has attracted a lot of consumers to the event in the hopes of buying cars at cheaper prices.

Total bookings taken at the event so far amount to 23,893 new vehicles of which 20,708 are for new cars.

Toyota leads other manufacturers with 3,306 new vehicles ordered followed by Isuzu with 2,936 new vehicles.

Honda came third with 2,707 new vehicle bookings while Mazda came fourth with 2,055 bookings and lastly, Nissan with 1,825 bookings.

Big bike bookings at the event also jumped to 3,185 vehicles.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/car-booking-rises-to-over-20000-at-motor-expo

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-12-11

Yet another car flood after the silly 100'000 Baht tax refund program.

This time triggered by threatening with a 100'000+ tax hike bah.gif

Stupid as can be.

Another luxury tax on modern passenger cars, sparing the bulky diesel pickups (with a very low hike).

Edited by KhunBENQ

Trucks are used for working, any hikes a smack to traders, working folks , etc.

I would agree for 2-door pickups and spare them.

But don't tell me that the majority of the leather chair, chrome ladden, alloy wheel 4-door models are for working!

And as far as I understood they are also spared from a major hike?

Maybe wrong. The information in English is scarce.

Edited by KhunBENQ

Updated numbers up to yesterday:

Toyota: 3,836

Isuzu: 3,328

Honda: 3,166

Mazda: 2,552

Nissan: 2,144

Mitsubishi: 1,899
Ford: 1,624

Mercedes-Benz: 943

Chevrolet: 870

Suzuki: 760

MG: 756

BMW: 626

Hyundai: 554

Subaru: 323

Volvo: 181

Tata: 154

Lexus: 106

Mini: 84

Updated numbers up to yesterday:

Toyota: 3,836

Isuzu: 3,328

Honda: 3,166

Mazda: 2,552

Nissan: 2,144

Mitsubishi: 1,899

Ford: 1,624

Mercedes-Benz: 943

Chevrolet: 870

Suzuki: 760

MG: 756

BMW: 626

Hyundai: 554

Subaru: 323

Volvo: 181

Tata: 154

Lexus: 106

Mini: 84

Toyota must be pretty happy with themselves. Imagine the result if they had some attractive vehicles.

MB have given BMW a real hammering even if you add the Mini bookings. I guess everyone loves the look of the new C Class and quite rightly so.

MG also a pretty positive result I should think.

Chevy needs a wake up call....

But don't tell me that the majority of the leather chair, chrome ladden, alloy wheel 4-door models are for working!

. Those fancy Beach Huts are not a Traders Choise and should be taxed as Pricy Vehicle as they clearly are such

The banks must be loosening up their lending practices again. They better rent some large open spaces to store the repossessions in 2017. We all like to dream and will sign almost anything to get a new vehicle and then cruel reality sets in. I do not own a vehicle and quit dreaming and drooling over new cars years ago especially when cars got to the point where you could no longer even change the spark plugs. I think they have no tampering laws on all vehicles even though you pay for it and is supposedly owned by you.

20,000 more cars for Thailand
By Coconuts Bangkok

BANGKOK -- More than 20,000 cars will hit the streets of Thailand after the roaring success of the 2015 Motor Expo.

A total of 23,893 cars were sold in the nine days of the Bangkok car show as buyers rushed to snap up a new set of wheels before the new tax bracket comes into effect on Jan 1, Thai PBS reported.

Car prices are expected to spike with the new tax bracket, especially for those with 1.8 litre and 2 litre engine sizes which will be taxed based on emissions.

Full Story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2015/12/11/20000-more-cars-thailand

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2015-12-11

A 4 Door Pic up is been handelt as a normal Car with white Plates, only the Two Door pay a lot less.

i just got my Nissan NP 300 4 Door , this Car will increase from January about 160000,- Bath as i been told by the Nissan Dealer.

By the way after using Toyota and Isuzu , i thing the Nissan is the best you can buy at the Moment.Only my Opinion.

At least half, 50 % will succumb to :

1). Returning home and wife says " what " ? or

2). Buyers remorse, or

3). Loan application rejected

Probably right, is there any way of knowing what % of bookings fall through? Are the booking fees refunding if the loan is rejected? If not, it must be quite lucrative - I can see how they can afford all those models!

What surprises me is that in the North, Thais spend more $$$ to buy their vehicles that they do on their house.

I do not think its only the North, here in Pattaya, a few of my neighbors own 5 million baht cars, while their house is worth 2.5 million,

Then another idiot i know, sold her land somewhere in Isaan to buy a carblink.png

A 4 Door Pic up is been handelt as a normal Car with white Plates, only the Two Door pay a lot less.

i just got my Nissan NP 300 4 Door , this Car will increase from January about 160000,- Bath as i been told by the Nissan Dealer.

By the way after using Toyota and Isuzu , i thing the Nissan is the best you can buy at the Moment.Only my Opinion.

The Ford is a better vehicle, so maybe the second best.

Some updated numbers including Friday's sales.. Only 2 more days to go if you want your booking in these stats tongue.png

This time I'm including the booking share % as well, because I find it very interesting how different it turns out when cars are able to be more directly compared, big marketing budgets don't really get you that much more exposure, and there's no fleet sales included...

If the actual sales market shares were like this, it would be a very different landscape. Big comparative wins for the tier-2 brands here, well, except for Chev :P

Toyota: 4,139 (15.4%)

Isuzu: 3,501 (13.0%)

Honda: 3,434 (12.7%)

Mazda: 3,003 (11.1%)

Nissan: 2,368 (8.8%)

Mitsubishi: 2,158 (8.0%)

Ford: 1,790 (6.6%)

Mercedes-Benz: 1,104 (4.1%)

Chevrolet: 944 (3.5%)

MG: 851 (3.2%)

Suzuki: 843 (3.1%)

BMW: 726 (2.7%)

Hyundai: 616 (2.3%)

Subaru: 357 (1.3%)

Volvo: 196 (0.7%)

Tata: 173 (0.6%)

Lexus: 115 (0.4%)

Mini: 91 (0.3%)

Total Bookings: 26,955

Note: the numbers won't tally because I'm too lazy to type out all the minor placings wink.png

Edited by IMHO

If I do not remember wrong they estimated a sale of about 53 000 vehicles on the third day of the exhibition. Of this about 3 000 were big bikes. Is it a roaring success then when they land at about 50% of the estimate? Big bikes on the other hand ended up as they expected.

Carerra

If I do not remember wrong they estimated a sale of about 53 000 vehicles on the third day of the exhibition. Of this about 3 000 were big bikes. Is it a roaring success then when they land at about 50% of the estimate? Big bikes on the other hand ended up as they expected.

Carerra

Answer, if it wasn't for the steep price increases after the new year, this year's expo would be a right out disaster.

Carerra

Answer, if it wasn't for the steep price increases after the new year, this year's expo would be a right out disaster.

Last couple of years, they have proven the carrot and stick approach has worked to stimulate sales. First, the "carrot" of the first-buyer program, and now this year we have the "stick" of imminent tax increase.

Makes you wonder what rabbit they will pull out of their hats next year if the economy is still in the doldrums?

Carerra

Last couple of years, they have proven the carrot and stick approach has worked to stimulate sales. First, the "carrot" of the first-buyer program, and now this year we have the "stick" of imminent tax increase.

Makes you wonder what rabbit they will pull out of their hats next year if the economy is still in the doldrums?

When I look at the figures CarolinaJames and IMHO posted, I notice that during the last 2 days they need to sell 50% from what they sold during the past 10 days or so, only to match the 2014 figures.

2012-80k bookings

2013-40k bookings

2014-40k bookings

2015-????

Total Bookings: 26,955