What is your Thai family eating for Xmas day?

fang37

I've been amused several times over the years watching "gold shop" Thais order Christmas dinner with all the trimmings here in Pattaya.

They will typically eat a fork-full of turkey, half a spud, a bit of carrot and a sprout, push the food about a bit and then put the whole thing to one side.

It's important for them to be there and show they have the money and sophistication for Christmas lunch; but eat it, no way! Tasteless foreign muck!

Forget religion or politics; most people really are at their most conservative when it comes to food. My 'live-in' will be having kaeng som, som tam or pad prik kaeng as usual. After all, as some will tell you, a roast turkey with all that white meat looks a bit too much like a roasted baby.

Edited by DoctorB

We're able to get a turkey with all the trimmings and a huge assortment of Thai delights as all the neighbors come by for a celebration. Everybody loves to take their photo with the turkey and it seems I can never make enough mashed potatoes.

Edited by Phaka2

My wife's been in UK a little over five years now and turkey was on the menu for our first Christmas, which was the first and last time as 'too dry, darling'.

I like lamb so not a week goes by without lamb something. My wife will eat it but not a big fan and I never expect her to be. Strangely, my wife wants to purchase a leg of lamb from Makro to inflict on her mum and dad back in LOS.

Food is probably the most imoortant part of Christmas. Thai festivals don't have special food that isn't eaten at any other time of year. When comparing the charm and fun of Christmas, coupled with the lovely food, it really does knock the annoying Songkran festival into a cocked hat.