My contract is going to expire in four weeks. What should I do?

I don't even see what kind of fuss could be done. This obviously is a fixed term contract.

If your employer doesn't want to renew it, so what? It might not be honest to you especially if he had promised to renew it, but the law says he's entitled to do so.

And your non-immigrant 'B' will be canceled on the day your contract finishes. As I can recall, when I resigned from my last job in Thailand, the HR folks told me that I had to leave the country within 30 days. No way to apply for another visa from within Thailand.

Valid visas are never cancelled and can be used until they expire.

Extensions of stay become invalid on the day a job ceases. There is no 30 days to leave the country but a 7 day "extension" can be had from immigration for 1900 Bht.

Well, that was quite a few years ago, maybe rules have changed or I had been misinformed.

I was on a 1-year 'B' visa, don't know if that's the kind of visa we're talking about here.

I certainly recall that I did not have to pay anything and I had left the country a couple of weeks later.

Sorry if I posted nonsense.

Well, that was quite a few years ago, maybe rules have changed or I had been misinformed.

I was on a 1-year 'B' visa, don't know if that's the kind of visa we're talking about here.

I certainly recall that I did not have to pay anything and I had left the country a couple of weeks later.

Sorry if I posted nonsense.

Were you having to leave the country every 90 days ? If not you did not have a one year "B" visa.

The "rules" have not changed.

Were you having to leave the country every 90 days ? If not you did not have a one year "B" visa.

No, I certainly did not.

My only "visa run" took place right after I signed my contract. They had me go to Vientiane to apply for my new visa, I met a representative from the university there who did the paperwork for me.

After this, they were taking care of the renewal every year. I just had to be physically present, sitting on a chair at immigration and stand up showing my face to the officer when called. That's it.

No, I certainly did not.

My only "visa run" took place right after I signed my contract. They had me go to Vientiane to apply for my new visa, I met a representative from the university there who did the paperwork for me.

After this, they were taking care of the renewal every year. I just had to be physically present, sitting on a chair at immigration and stand up showing my face to the officer when called. That's it.

Exactly !

So you had an "extension of stay " based on working not a "visa"

The "visa " acquired in Vientiane was cancelled (Used) on entry and was of no further use.

Your employer assisted you to extend your "admitted until" date !

Visas are never "extended" or "renewed".

Yesterday I asked my employer again how things had been going, telling him that my contract

would expire in about 3 weeks so I didn't have much time left on me. And he asked me to wait for

another week until he got all the documents ready for the new contract.

What he added that sounded a bit complicated to me was that under the new contract would I get

paid by his associated company which is not located in the province where his company is located,

even though I will continue to work for his company next year. I wonder if I will have to go to the

Immigration Office and the Labour Office in this province to extend my visa extension and renew

my work permit or not. To be honest this might sound a bit dodgy to me, though. I'll see what happens.

Edited by Saigon

Yesterday I asked my employer again how things had been going, telling him that my contract

would expire in about 3 weeks so I didn't have much time left on me. And he asked me to wait for

another week until he got all the documents ready for the new contract.

What he added that sounded a bit complicated to me was that under the new contract would I get

paid by his associated company which is not located in the province where his company is located,

even though I will continue to work for his company next year. I wonder if I will have to go to the

Immigration Office and the Labour Office in this province to extend my visa extension and renew

my work permit or not. To be honest this might sound a bit dodgy to me, though. I'll see what happens.

maybe he is struggling for the number of Thai employees against foreign. Hence the change! There has to be 4 Thai employees for every foreigner with a WP.

• 3 weeks later...

I finally went to the Immigration Office with a new contract to successfully extend my visa extension by one

year earlier this week

FYI, the date for my 90-day report has been reset for early this April, though the next one was supposed

to come along next month.

Thank you.

• Like 1