Turbo diesel remaps and tuning boxes.

MROLL320

As the current system is based on horse power many of the Thai spec engines look detuned compared to comparable models in other parts of the world... I was wondering if there were remaps or tuning boxes available? Pattaya, sattahip, rayon aera if possible?

Thanks...

The popular pre-packaged unit is Race Chip, there used to be a dealer/reseller in the Pattaya area or import from Europe or http://www.racechipthailand.com/ or https://www.facebook.com/search/top/?q=racechip%20pattaya

The other one is a local outfit called Ecushop and they have a website in semi English. http://www.ecu-shop.com/products/

Cheers

The popular pre-packaged unit is Race Chip, there used to be a dealer/reseller in the Pattaya area or import from Europe or http://www.racechipthailand.com/ or https://www.facebook.com/search/top/?q=racechip%20pattaya

The other one is a local outfit called Ecushop and they have a website in semi English. http://www.ecu-shop.com/products/

Cheers

I have a stage 1 racechip, suitable for the New D-Max 3Ltr engine, which I no longer require.

It takes less than 5 minutes to fit ...you can try before you buy.

No, the software programmed is not suitable for any other engine

What was your experience with this device? I can see where you could get more power from more fuel but thermal dynamics tells me that you can't get more from less. I would think the fuel usage would be more. Thus less KPL.

Gary A, on 15 Dec 2015 - 16:38, said:Gary A, on 15 Dec 2015 - 16:38, said:

What was your experience with this device? I can see where you could get more power from more fuel but thermal dynamics tells me that you can't get more from less. I would think the fuel usage would be more. Thus less KPL.

In the 3.5 years that I had the V-Cross it ran as factory, with EGR blanked, with EGR blanked and Racechip installed and finally with just the Racechip. I took the EGR blanks out as the engine took much longer to get to normal temperature. I put them in just to keep the oil cleaner for longer but it also felt smoother at low revs when accelerating. I still have the blanks, somewhere.

With the Racechip connected the engine again felt smoother, and a little quicker at low revs and it definitely held onto top gear longer on hills. Very noticeable on Rama 9 Bridge.

If you look me up on Fuelly.com you can see what fuel consumption I got. I don't think that it used anymore with the chip fitted. Have to admit though that it was vary rare that the truck got driven hard ... it probably got a bit bunged up due to that fact.

I actually went to talk to the ecushop (Ritter Gunter) about a remap but decided in the end no. Reason being that by then that I had decided to sell. I was also somewhat concerned about the effect on the transmission of the huge amount of torque offered, although he did say torque limiting was no problem in a custom remap. Fiddles with the torque limiting tables I think.

I think that the chip basically ups the atomizing pressure and adjusts the injection time... I'm sure that someone will correct me if I completely mis-understand how it works... On the D-Max it's easy to fit and disconnect as you can reach the connector through the wheel arch.

Thermo Dynamics should tell you that the more complete the combustion is, the greater is the energy generated and the less the smoke... I think. Of course over fuelling will normally generate smoke ... I think.

I liked the chip it's pretty mild. I noticed more discrepancy between computer kpl and actual kpl with the chip installed ... something to do with logging data?

Edited by JAS21

My computer KPL is conservative. Upon fill ups, the actual fill up is normally about 1.5 KPL better. At least the computer has been consistent at understating the fuel economy. I'm quite happy with the economy and think I'll steer clear of any chips. The power is more than adequate and even quite surprising. Maybe it's because I was used to the old non turbo 3 liter Nissan.

Gary A, on 15 Dec 2015 - 22:02, said:

My computer KPL is conservative. Upon fill ups, the actual fill up is normally about 1.5 KPL better. At least the computer has been consistent at understating the fuel economy. I'm quite happy with the economy and think I'll steer clear of any chips. The power is more than adequate and even quite surprising. Maybe it's because I was used to the old non turbo 3 liter Nissan.

That's a first ...Your fuel computer must be fitted up-side-downwhistling.gif ... . It appears that my Everest's computer understates fuel consumption, as I would expect ... but I need a few more fill ups to confirm.

Where is my chum Trans when you need him ..................

Edited by JAS21

Did a remap at RPT- Bangkok on my

D-Max 3lt, great performance gain, very happy with my ride now!

http://www.ecuthailand.com

Did you get the Max Torque limited .... did you end up with graphs like this ... does it smoke at all?

attachicon.gifD-Max.JPG

Yes, I did get a printout of the test-runs on the dyno.

Smoke?

nid noi, but only if I do a kick down and rev it all the way up...

I'd be curious to know what gains could be made with the 3.2 Mazda / Ford engines. Plenty of grunt as is but - well a little more is always nice to have occasionally even if its just to annoy the blue led brigade at the lights occasionally.

Edited by Pomthai

I'd be curious to know what gains could be made with the 3.2 Mazda / Ford engines. Plenty of grunt as is but - well a little more is always nice to have occasionally even if its just to annoy the blue led brigade at the lights occasionally.

I found this on my LINE timeline .... useful? it was post 6 Nov

post-17329-0-72220100-1450258914_thumb.j

Edited by JAS21

attachicon.gif3.2L RPT.jpg

Thanks for the info, might be worth spending an extra day next time I'm up that way.

attachicon.gif3.2L RPT.jpg

Thanks for the info, might be worth spending an extra day next time I'm up that way.

If you want it doing ... phone and book ... best not to just turn up and hope.

I've just seen it says pedalbox at the bottom ...google it for more info

Edited by JAS21

Has anyone had their truck chipped in Chiang Mai?

I am thinking about getting my 2.2L truck upped to near 3.2 levels. I don't need an OTT state of tune and want it done properly.

As far as I know no-one yet has the capability to remap in Chiang Mai. You can get the commonrail and fuel injector piggy back boxes locally through various agents but from my experience they don't work too well with the Ford 2.2.

Before you used to be able to pay both remap companies airfare and they could come and do the remap for you at your home but not sure if this is still the case. If you do this though you will obviously not get the dyno printout of how much hp and torque you have gained.

I had my 2.2 remapped for 10,000 a couple months ago at Powerlab in BKK. This was a promotion price that I think ends on 31st December, check out their facebook page for full details. Normal price was 18,000b and Ritter at ECU shop charges around the same.

You want to be careful how much boost pressure gets dialled in, my current map peaks at about 32psi before settling down to 15-20psi when cruising.

I have had previous maps done elsewhere that have been too aggressive that resulted in broken turbo compressor wheels.

Good luck, p.s a remap will work well with a turbo back exhaust, larger intercooler and stainless steel intercooler pipes.

Edited by sundaypsychos

Has anyone experienced engine damage from it being chipped? I'm talking about the fuel system or even the engine from being over stressed. I've read different opinions. Some say fuel system damage is common and others say that the manufactures have them set so conservatively that no damage is likely to occur. Others say that automatic transmissions cannot handle the added torque and power.

Has anyone experienced engine damage from it being chipped? I'm talking about the fuel system or even the engine from being over stressed. I've read different opinions. Some say fuel system damage is common and others say that the manufactures have them set so conservatively that no damage is likely to occur. Others say that automatic transmissions cannot handle the added torque and power.

I thought it was the manual versions that were more often torque limited as a torque converter in a normal auto does a similar job?

Although not internal engine components I have had 2 turbo compressor wheels break from a remap, this was within 1500kms after having it done and I'm pretty sure it was due to too much boost pressure being dialled in and then not tailing off sufficiently after initial throttle input.

This scared me off having another remap until a few months ago when I went in to have a less aggressive map installed, I have now done about 10,000kms since the new remap with no issues at all.

I think what you said regarding the manufacturers setting the engine very conservatively rings true and that a sensible remap done to within safe parameters should cause no long term damage. Each remap is a custom map so you can specify its characteristics and how aggressive you want it, obviously the more you push it with the peak power figures the more risk you are going to have.

I gather, from months of internet searching and talking with various tuners, that the weak point of the 2.2 is the turbo so I think it would be prudent to avoid running high boost for extended periods of time. The fords also use Piezo injectors rather than solenoid injectors, from what I have been told these operate very close to their optimum straight from the factory hence the fuel tuning boxes that just primitively squirt more and more fuel are not widely recommended.

In summary I think if you have a sensible map done by a reputable tuner then you should not have any issues, like I said I am now at 10,000kms and counting. If anything goes bang though I will report back here!

Edited by sundaypsychos

I had the AT overheat in a chipped PJS after a somewhat 'spirited' drive up Doi Suthep in Chiangmai. By the time I got to the summit, it was hard to get enough torque converted to park the thing ;)

That car did over 150,000KM chipped, and that was the solo incident though.

I thought it was the manual versions that were more often torque limited as a torque converter in a normal auto does a similar job?

It varies from model to model.

The older 4 and 5 speed Aisin autos used by Toyota & Mitsu etc pickups were limited to 350Nm OEM. IMHO's post above suggests at least one reason why.

Edited by Jitar