Vigo Vs. Fortuner

teej

Just wondering how the ride differs between a Fortuner and a Vigo double cab 4WD. Interior is similar I'm assuming (except for the obvious back end), so just wondering if paying the extra few hundred thousand for the Fortuner is worth it (as far as the ride is concerned). Anybody who has or has driving both?

• 2 months later...

I have ford ranger auto 2.9L that i'm looking to sell soon. The wife drives our fortuner which i reckon is brilliant car. She would like me to get a car for the ranger but as i drive the thing, and i like the fortuner, i'm currently thinking of trading the ford for a vigo if it really is very similar to the fortuner.

So i'd be interested to know too just haow similar or different the Vigo is to the Fortuner - anybody have any comments?

• 3 weeks later...

I am also looking to buy a Fortuner. I currently have a D-Max 3 litre Turbo..sound fast...but Tuk Tuks go faster, and it is so noisy inside the cab.

I have found the D-Max very reliable...but its just so darn sluggish, but the guy who sells us fish is gonna give me 750,000 baht for it

I know Fortuner's come in diesel flavour...how fast are they in either version if anyone knows? I am certainly impressed with their looks

I own a Vigo Prerunner. Its a truck, and rides like a truck on bumpy roads. Gets a little better if you put 300 kg in the bed. On the highway, handles like a dream. Fortuner costs more, comes with more extras that probably justify it. For me, for the money, I can't beat my Prerunner. Love it!

One complaint - the lack of airbags, but my wife tells me that if we have an accident, she'll use my big belly as an airbag...so I told her that I would use her mother, lol. who is also an airbag.

I am also looking to buy a Fortuner. I currently have a D-Max 3 litre Turbo..sound fast...but Tuk Tuks go faster, and it is so noisy inside the cab.

I have found the D-Max very reliable...but its just so darn sluggish, but the guy who sells us fish is gonna give me 750,000 baht for it

I know Fortuner's come in diesel flavour...how fast are they in either version if anyone knows? I am certainly impressed with their looks

Can't comment on the diesel version but we have the petrol 2.7L version, its a dream. Great acceleration, not at all noisy. I would imagine the 2.7L has the acceleration off the mark compared to the 3.0L diesel. Fortuners naturally like to go faster than 120km/hr so you have to keep them in check. Suspension is like a cars. We usually have the 3rd row of seats up to give us the boot space (for all the kids stuff) but i'm 6' 3" and have sat comfortably in the 3rd row (slightly side-saddle). All in all the fortuner is just great value for money and has been a brilliant decision (the wife's strangely) to buy. Go for it mate. [wish they'd bring out a 2x4 version as well].

So to summarise, an auto Vigo (3 litre double cab 2 x 4 at about 767k) is pretty much the same as the fortuner (3 litre 4 x 4 at about 1,036k) apart from the 4 wheel drive obviously, the backend and that's about it? Am i missing something here?
Yes, 7 seats, different suspension setup in the rear, and higher tax, too.

Auto transmission is not available for Pre-runners and regular 2wd don't have the looks with their huge bodies, little wheels and low suspension.

Please stop all this "it's just like a car" nonsense about the Fortuner.

I somehow trust these people who had driven it and gave their opinion.

Why shouldn't I?

Edited by Plus

It's not a bad motor for the money but a comparison to a decent coupe or saloon car is like comparing chalk and cheese.

You don't have to rely on someone elses opinion either, go test drive one for yourself and then go test drive a half decent Audi or BMW.

Apples and oranges, completely incomparable.

You can buy three Fortuners for the price of a half decent BMW or Audi, which are extremely poor value for money.

You can buy SIX Fortuners for the price of BMW X5.

Having driven both I'd say there is not much different on a smooth road. The difference is however that the pick-up has the tray on the back (as already pointed out) and therefore stiffer suspension for load carrying so on a bumpy surface the back end can feel harsh, unseemly and skittish when empty. This can be adjusted if you are not planning on carrying heavy loads so problem solved.

Please stop all this "it's just like a car" nonsense about the Fortuner. It's value for money but just because it has no real competition apart from pick-ups and low quality saloons.

It's handling, looks and capabilities are average at best but it scores high on reliability and quality because it is a Toyota. The diesel engines are still too noisy, as is road noise from the large wheels and tyres.

It makes sense for the money though, of that there can be no argument.

So, apart from the good look of the large wheels and tyres, it would be better to have a smaller size wheels and tyres, because they make less noise ??

Having driven both I'd say there is not much different on a smooth road. The difference is however that the pick-up has the tray on the back (as already pointed out) and therefore stiffer suspension for load carrying so on a bumpy surface the back end can feel harsh, unseemly and skittish when empty. This can be adjusted if you are not planning on carrying heavy loads so problem solved.

Please stop all this "it's just like a car" nonsense about the Fortuner. It's value for money but just because it has no real competition apart from pick-ups and low quality saloons.

It's handling, looks and capabilities are average at best but it scores high on reliability and quality because it is a Toyota. The diesel engines are still too noisy, as is road noise from the large wheels and tyres.

It makes sense for the money though, of that there can be no argument.

Sorry but i would say the fortuner IS just like a car, especially the 2.7L version, when compared to all car models in the same price bracket, and it's handling, looks and capabilities are certainly comparable with all others of similar cost and it scores high on reliability, quality and higher on useability. It is the best deal at the price available.

cart springs = curvature of the spine, the coil sprung rearend of the fortuner will be less pain in your lumber region but you will have to put up with being labled as another fortuner driver, just don't get a black one !

What is wrong with being a fortuner driver, and having a black one? What is all this nonsense? Remind me, was the same attitude around about the Sportrider (which the fortuner has replaced)? Sorry but i don't get it! Its a great car, the best value for the price, and i'd be amazed if you could find a fortuner owner who doesn't agree.

cart springs = curvature of the spine, the coil sprung rearend of the fortuner will be less pain in your lumber region but you will have to put up with being labled as another fortuner driver, just don't get a black one !

What is wrong with being a fortuner driver, and having a black one? What is all this nonsense? Remind me, was the same attitude around about the Sportrider (which the fortuner has replaced)? Sorry but i don't get it! Its a great car, the best value for the price, and i'd be amazed if you could find a fortuner owner who doesn't agree.

Prepare to be amazed then :D

A (Thai) neighbour of my gf is a former Fortuner owner and he has a lot to say about how overhyped and bad they are! He had no end of problems with it, especially the braking system. Even after Toyota replaced the master cylinder under warranty, although it was better he still thought it unsafe so sold it after 6 months and bought the new Camry.

At the end of the day I agree with emperor_tud, you can't compare it to car. It doesn't handle anything like one...the centre of gravity is too high for a start. And yes I have driven one, I actually chose a MU7 over the Fortuner in the end because I preferred the ride and it fitted me better. My previous car was a Mazda 3 (which definately handles way better than a Fortuner and is cheaper, as does the Civic, Camry, Accord, oh and just about any other current generation car that can be bought here) and found that the front of the cabin in the Fortuner had less room than the Mazda...quite odd considering the size of it!

So if a Fortuner handles just like a car then so does my MU7 :D I'm off drifting round the car park in it now :o after it handles just like a car dunnit!

Edited by moonoi

Hi Guys

Its a bit amazing to se that people there don’t like the Fortuner DONT have one, but have a friend or heard about one there had a Fortuner, what is wrong with the Fortuner?? Come on guys there DON’T have one tell me.

By the way it dont drive like a "car" but you can do a little about it, and the noicy tires as well, 20" and Good Year tires

no noise now, easy...... :o

Prepare to be amazed then :bah:

A (Thai) neighbour of my gf is a former Fortuner owner and he has a lot to say about how overhyped and bad they are! He had no end of problems with it, especially the braking system. Even after Toyota replaced the master cylinder under warranty, although it was better he still thought it unsafe so sold it after 6 months and bought the new Camry.

At the end of the day I agree with emperor_tud, you can't compare it to car. It doesn't handle anything like one...the centre of gravity is too high for a start. And yes I have driven one, I actually chose a MU7 over the Fortuner in the end because I preferred the ride and it fitted me better. My previous car was a Mazda 3 (which definately handles way better than a Fortuner and is cheaper, as does the Civic, Camry, Accord, oh and just about any other current generation car that can be bought here) and found that the front of the cabin in the Fortuner had less room than the Mazda...quite odd considering the size of it!

So if a Fortuner handles just like a car then so does my MU7 :bah: I'm off drifting round the car park in it now :D after it handles just like a car dunnit!

Aye, thanks for giving me a larf :D

You chose a MU7 over a fortuner :o:o and you chose it for the ride! Doesn't it still have the pickup suspension unlike the fortuner's "refined" pickup suspension?

There's more room in a Mazda 3 than a fortuner ;):D Before the fortuner i had a 2002 Mazda 323 and unless the Mazda 3 grew considerably on its introduction then you're pulling my leg (and they're pretty long my legs being a 6 footer - i always struggled for space in the 323 but not in the fortuner) - lovely cars though the 323 and the 3.

I would agree with you that a Mazda 3 handles better than a fortuner but there again it handles better than any of its competitors and is a decent drive - it isn't cheaper (by much) but lacks utility (which is why most people after all by a pickup or a fortuner) though the backseat folddown is pretty useful. Err aren't the "Civic, Camry, Accord" far more expensive than the fortuner (i'd expect more if i paid more). It's value for money with the fortuner - a decent "car / pickup hybrid call it what you want", fits 7 comfrtably and doubles still as a pick-up with the big boot.

Anyway yes you did amaze me. I can only assume he bought a bad one - happens with any car - and all i can say is i've never had one fault in 30 months with the fortuner (fingers crossed) and never met a fortuner owner not happy with their car.

Keep ' :D em coming mate

Prepare to be amazed then

So if a Fortuner handles just like a car then so does my MU7. I'm off drifting round the car park in it now after it handles just like a car dunnit!

Aye, thanks for giving me a larf

You chose a MU7 over a fortuner and you chose it for the ride! Doesn't it still have the pickup suspension unlike the fortuner's "refined" pickup suspension?

There's more room in a Mazda 3 than a fortuner. Before the fortuner i had a 2002 Mazda 323 and unless the Mazda 3 grew considerably on its introduction then you're pulling my leg (and they're pretty long my legs being a 6 footer - i always struggled for space in the 323 but not in the fortuner) - lovely cars though the 323 and the 3.

I would agree with you that a Mazda 3 handles better than a fortuner but there again it handles better than any of its competitors and is a decent drive - it isn't cheaper (by much) but lacks utility (which is why most people after all by a pickup or a fortuner) though the backseat folddown is pretty useful. Err aren't the "Civic, Camry, Accord" far more expensive than the fortuner (i'd expect more if i paid more). It's value for money with the fortuner - a decent "car / pickup hybrid call it what you want", fits 7 comfrtably and doubles still as a pick-up with the big boot.

Anyway yes you did amaze me. I can only assume he bought a bad one - happens with any car - and all i can say is i've never had one fault in 30 months with the fortuner (fingers crossed) and never met a fortuner owner not happy with their car.

Keep ' em coming mate

Actually I meant that the 3 was cheaper than the Fortuner not the others....reading back now I see that wasn't clear :o

The 3 is indeed way superior to the 323 based on the same platform as the Volvo S40/ Ford Focus. Nice little car. In space, I'm also over 6 foot and had no problems with space in the 3, when I tried the Fortuner I was unable to adjust the seat and steering in such a way that the wheel didn't touch my legs. The cabin also felt narrower than the 3. At least that was my perception. Obviously the total area in the Fortuner is bigger, I was only refering to my impressions sitting in the drivers seat.....I don't really care about the back, I'm not going to be a passenger :D I also found the Fortuner I test drove crashed over bumps and wasn't as comfortable as the MU7, maybe the test drive Fortuner had been hammered or something, but it didn't feel right, along with not being able to get a comfortable driving position ruled it out for me.

At the end of the day though neither the Fortuner and MU7 'drive like a car' (which you now agree with) is my point so its a silly statement to make.

Since one year a drive a 3.0 Diesel Fortuner. Before in Europe I drove a Mitsubishi Pajiero and before that a Toyota Landcruiser and before that BMW's and others. I have to say, that for the price I never got a better car in my life. As I am over 6 foot I am also surprised how comfortable I can drive with my Fortuner. The Diesel is not loud at all and the driving is just like to drive a car. I drove several times from Chiang Mai to Phuket and Koh Samui and I was always pleased with this car.

I just can recommend it I wouldn't know anything better for that price.

Im a fortuner owner and I agree, it really is a great car for the money, if I had my chance again, I would still buy a fortuner, but not in black, although is looks fab when just cleaned, but get dirty really quickly. But thats not a critism of the car, it goes for all cars even BMWs

How is the driver's compartment on the Fortuner? Does the seat go back far enough to not cramp your legs if you are 6'00" or over? I find so many of these cars jam your leg into the steering wheel with the seat all the way back and you end up having to rock your leg out to the side, which is rough on my frequently abused right knee.

Thanks,

Dr. B

Did I not just say all that in my previous posts?

My perfectly valid point was to let you experience the differing quality in the ride of a German automobile in comparison to the Fortuner so you could come to an accurate conclusion about the standard of handling it provides.

Not really difficult to comprehend.

I understand your point perfectly well, it's just examples of cars you offer don't make much sense.

"Great value for money" is if one car is 20% cheaper than the other, not THREE to SIX times cheaper. It's like comparing smallish Hyundai to top BMW 7 series.

People who drive Fortuner yet again praise its handling. They probably compare it to Japanese cars in its price range - Civic, Camry, Accord, CRV, Altis etc.

Did I not just say all that in my previous posts?

My perfectly valid point was to let you experience the differing quality in the ride of a German automobile in comparison to the Fortuner so you could come to an accurate conclusion about the standard of handling it provides.

Not really difficult to comprehend.

I understand your point perfectly well, it's just examples of cars you offer don't make much sense.

"Great value for money" is if one car is 20% cheaper than the other, not THREE to SIX times cheaper. It's like comparing smallish Hyundai to top BMW 7 series.

People who drive Fortuner yet again praise its handling. They probably compare it to Japanese cars in its price range - Civic, Camry, Accord, CRV, Altis etc.

Camry and Accord are double the price of a Fortuner... I could have used them as a comparison also, I just chose not to.

Like I said, it is value for money when put up against the competition in the similar price range but it is not all it is cracked up to be and it handles nothing like a car.

Handles acceptably for an SUV based on a pick-up though.

I also own a Fortuner which I drive every day and find the handling far better than just 'acceptable', though I do not generally drive at breakneck speeds. I remember some guy who borrowed a Fortuner and went on about how difficult it was to get out of busy parking lot's such as Big C. I have never had such a problem I find it manouvres so easily for the size of vehicle. It has good acceleration for overtaking and I certainly do not hear the engine when I am driving. In fact I was surprised when I got out of the car to open the gate and heard the usual noise of a diesel engine . Neither have I ever noticed any loud noise from the tyre's on the road. I think the car is fantastic value for the money, and to say the'look of the car' I assume this means the design,' is average at best' ...I rest my case.....

How is the driver's compartment on the Fortuner? Does the seat go back far enough to not cramp your legs if you are 6'00" or over? I find so many of these cars jam your leg into the steering wheel with the seat all the way back and you end up having to rock your leg out to the side, which is rough on my frequently abused right knee.

Thanks,

Dr. B

Well i'm 6'3" and i find its fine, that said, i only have my 2 yr old behind me so i can push the seat back. I find it an extremely comfortable car to drive.

Camry and Accord are double the price of a Fortuner...

Not at all. 2l Camry cost about the same as a top speck Fortuner.

The difference in handling is not that big from an average customer point of view, certainly not a deciding factor when making a buying choice.

Camry and Accord are double the price of a Fortuner...

Not at all. 2l Camry cost about the same as a top speck Fortuner.

The difference in handling is not that big from an average customer point of view, certainly not a deciding factor when making a buying choice.

Evidently not! There are those Fortuner owners praising its handling abilities so it obviously wasn't a factor in their final choice!

Let's see what other experts say...

The suspension too was somewhat stiff and may fatigue some drivers, but again that’s expected from a basic SUV like this one

Handling is acceptable, I would expect that a set of 18-inch wheels with some high performance, low profile rubbers would do wonders (didn't I just say that in an earlier post?)

Take it through rough uneven patches and the suspension starts to protest and relays the noise to the cabin, betraying its truckish underpinnings

Pretty much every review I've read about the Fortuner agrees with me. Who's opinion were you listening to again?

:o

'emperor_tud'

Have you ever had a Fortuner??

For me it look like you dont like them at all, or that you had one there did not suit you

I have had Colorado and Vigo both 4+4, auto, i dont think you can compare them at all with the Fortuner

I'm NOT a Toyota fan but I have had three Toyota pickups here in Thailand. I DO know very well how the pickups ride, both two wheel drives and 4X4. Having ridden in and driven the Fortuner, I will say that the Fortuner rides MUCH better. It is a little jittery and seems to want to dance on rough roads but I think that is common to SUV's and not just the Fortuner. None of the SUV's ride like cars. They are NOT cars.

As far as emperor tud, I think he's just a young lad who works in a gas station. He knows just enough to be dangerous and I doubt he has ever been to Thailand. :o