Abandoned Car

xerostar

In the condo where I live there is an abandoned vehicle (perhaps stolen?) - a Nissan 20 G sedan approx year 2000.

Apart from being very dirty with layers of dust it has very flat (but unworn) tyres. The bodywork is fine - no dents or rust.

The condo staff have no idea who the owner is and don't care that the car is taking up a valuable parking space near the ground floor.

They were only too happy to advise me not to bother with the car as in their estimation it must be beyond repair because of the flat tyres!?

I am from Australia and have had a lot of experience with DIY car repairs over the years.

I thought maybe this car could be acquired for a song, if I can find the owner.

I'm on a small budget and don't like the inflated used-car prices for worn-out wrecks that I've seen so far.

Can anyone tell me how I could trace the owner of this car?

In particular the number plate is apparently not a Bangkok number.

I assumed I could find out the owner's name via police registrations?

Thankful for any advice or opinions on this topic.

post-18347-0-21597900-1450071523_thumb.j

post-18347-0-53437700-1450071531_thumb.j

post-18347-0-30394200-1450071541_thumb.j

post-18347-0-92983900-1450071549_thumb.j

post-18347-0-00003400-1450071558_thumb.j

Yeah that's a Songkla registration plate. Can you check with the condo management? Would they be able to trace the owners, s they may keep a record of all cars that are allowed to use the car park. Failing that I guess you could contract the land transport department in Songkla. Whether they would givve th drivers info I don't know. Or maybe a bottle of good whiskey for the local BiB to chase it up:)

That nissan is a good motor, nice 2.0 v6 in it. It may not be running s that explains why it's sitting there. A relative has a similar model but they gearbox had a problem. They are quite cheap second hand.

This happened to me in Edmonton, Canada a number of years ago. I also noticed a small white MG-Midget in an apartment building's car park. Same flat tires; multi-layers of dirt & grime and some of the soft-top's stitching had come undone. This one had BC plates (Edmonton is in the adjacent Provence of Alberta) - and I talked to the apartment manager, who told me that the tenant who had parked it there had disappeared over a year ago and never hear a dicky-bird from him; - he would love to get rid of that 'old piece of rubbish' . . . . . So; I went to the Police Station and asked them what the procedure was for the claiming of an abandoned car. Simple: tow it to your home and file a Police Report. If, after 6 months, the registered owner has not been found/ or claimed his car, the Police would issue a notice of Right-to-Claim, which I would then take to the Motor Vehicle Branch, who would in-turn issue me with a "Pink-Slip" & Plates, in my own name.

So it happened and after a thorough clean-up & polish job; having the soft-top re-stitched and a full service (the car even had the keys under the floor-mat !) and looked & drove like a million bucks ! - We drove it for about 6 months, without any problems and eventually sold it, 'cause my daughter was about to be born.

coffee1.gif

post-10410-0-45428500-1450136717_thumb.j

Edited by jaapfries

My goodness we had two absolute piles of rusting rubbish in hideous condition in our Condo, one actually in a no parking area partially blocking a fire lane. Finally moved after at least 6 years. We do have good management and these issues were addressed. There was some concern the owners would show up someday and make a fuss over the removal of their dirty heaps!

By the way we also have units that are in arrears (many years) for Condo fee payments with no contact from the owners. In any US jurisdiction they would gave been foreclosed and sold/auctioned long ago. Amazing Thailand.

Edited by arunsakda

In my condo, there were about 10, yes 10 abandoned cars, 20 abandoned motorbikes and, I kid you not, an abandoned boat!! The condo management did not even know the boat was there!

They had a campaign and cleared some out. Lots of threats but ultimately they relied on owners coming forward.

So I can't help you. Perhaps, the Land Transport Office can.

OP a good idea to try and get the car. It has the makings of a nice motor. I think I'd go in this order: 1 Condo office. 2. Police. If no help forthcoming, as if he likes whiskey. 3. DLT

Some of the stories above makes you wonder, that if you own a vehicle in Thailand and were returning to farangland for say 6 months, you could just drive it into any condo parking garage and it would still be there when you got back.

UPDATE:

As I said before I first asked the Condo management who dismissed my idea as laughable.sad.png

The car is locked, as you'd expect.

So I thought if I could get a locksmith to open the car, I could just check the glove box and maybe

find a registration blue book or some clue to who owns the car.

I asked the security guys who are always on duty around here and they seemed quite happy about

the idea but referred me to the condo desk jockeys again who apparently have more sway.

The desk jocks seemed horrified that I could even contemplate the idea of opening the car.

"Oh no no, can not"

I said "its obvious that the owner does not want the car, so what's the big deal?"

"If there is no proof of ownership inside then we just lock it up again! and go to plan B"

but the whole idea just fell on deaf ears.facepalm.gif

I was wasting my time with these people, they do not want to cooperate.

Next I telephoned the DLT (Dept of Land Transport) office in Chatuchak.

I had to repeat my story about 3 times before I was referred each time to someone else who had a better handle on English.

They said "you must bring the blue book with your car, then we can check if your car is roadworthy and make a new licence"

I must have told them 10 times "I don't have a blue book, It's not my car, it's an abandoned car. It is locked and I don't have a key, so I can't bring the blue book"

Eventually the lady said "Oh it's an abandoned car? ..why did you abandon it sir? Hmm ..(lot of discussion in background)

"Sir, you will have to see another department in building 2"

Passing the buck I see .. - I said "thanks for your help!" (not)

So tomorrow I will go to Chatuchak DLT (building 2) and see what they have to say.

I believe every international airport in the world has abandoned cars.

I was in Brussels airport many years ago. I was amazed to see BMWs, Porches and other valuable cars left abandoned, black with dust, many with missing wheels or body parts. Readers have probably seen the videos about abandoned super cars in the Arab airports.

Apparently the airport management isn't bothered, so nothing is ever done about it and the same attitude prevails here at my condo !

Yes you may leave your car here, plenty of undercover parking, not far from the airport, nobody will touch the car,

and nobody will question why it's there even if you leave it for 20 years, great service!

However if your car is stolen, nobody will ever trace where it has gone.

It's probably in a condo parking area, somewhere near the airport.whistling.gif

Edited by xerostar

I'm not surprised no-one wants to join in on a break and enter felony, LOL.

Even if you did find the owner, once they hear the story of how much work you spent tracking them down, I doubt the rice is going to be cheap... On top of that, it's also possible the car has a lot more wrong with it than just flat tires and some dust - so you could just be going through all this effort to fins it's overpriced, not for sale, or the engine is seized ;)

My suggestion: just go find a Cefiro that's really for sale, and already in working order ;)

Edited by IMHO

UPDATE:

As I said before I first asked the Condo management who dismissed my idea as laughable.sad.png

The car is locked, as you'd expect.

So I thought if I could get a locksmith to open the car, I could just check the glove box and maybe

find a registration blue book or some clue to who owns the car.

I asked the security guys who are always on duty around here and they seemed quite happy about

the idea but referred me to the condo desk jockeys again who apparently have more sway.

The desk jocks seemed horrified that I could even contemplate the idea of opening the car.

"Oh no no, can not"

I said "its obvious that the owner does not want the car, so what's the big deal?"

"If there is no proof of ownership inside then we just lock it up again! and go to plan B"

but the whole idea just fell on deaf ears.facepalm.gif

I was wasting my time with these people, they do not want to cooperate.

Next I telephoned the DLT (Dept of Land Transport) office in Chatuchak.

I had to repeat my story about 3 times before I was referred each time to someone else who had a better handle on English.

They said "you must bring the blue book with your car, then we can check if your car is roadworthy and make a new licence"

I must have told them 10 times "I don't have a blue book, It's not my car, it's an abandoned car. It is locked and I don't have a key, so I can't bring the blue book"

Eventually the lady said "Oh it's an abandoned car? ..why did you abandon it sir? Hmm ..(lot of discussion in background)

"Sir, you will have to see another department in building 2"

Passing the buck I see .. - I said "thanks for your help!" (not)

So tomorrow I will go to Chatuchak DLT (building 2) and see what they have to say.

I believe every international airport in the world has abandoned cars.

I was in Brussels airport many years ago. I was amazed to see BMWs, Porches and other valuable cars left abandoned, black with dust, many with missing wheels or body parts. Readers have probably seen the videos about abandoned super cars in the Arab airports.

Apparently the airport management isn't bothered, so nothing is ever done about it and the same attitude prevails here at my condo !

Yes you may leave your car here, plenty of undercover parking, not far from the airport, nobody will touch the car,

and nobody will question why it's there even if you leave it for 20 years, great service!

However if your car is stolen, nobody will ever trace where it has gone.

It's probably in a condo parking area, somewhere near the airport.whistling.gif

Part 1 of this saga with the condo management is indeed laughable, no wonder they wouldn't co-operate with you, what you were trying to do was illegal. Abandoned or not, the car does not belong to you or the condo, you have no authority to even be curious enough to open the car and then secure it again.

Part 2 is laughable also. You phoned a Thai DLT and because you had to repeat your story 3 times you complain! If you had used the language that they speak in every government department in this country perhaps you would have had no problems. Hardly surprising that they wanted to pass you to someone else, that is not passing the buck.

What have international airport car parks got to do with this Cefiro?

PM CQ.

Anyway....

The tyres are scrap, you can see they are cracked. 3 to 5000 a corner.

How many years tax is owed on it, you will have to pay that.

Money and time spent finding the owner. Quite likely a foreigner who has left Thailand, cheap car abandoned in condo block.

Most likely abandoned due to an expensive repair or the above, but both will be troublesome.

PM CQ.

Anyway....

The tyres are scrap, you can see they are cracked. 3 to 5000 a corner.

How many years tax is owed on it, you will have to pay that.

Money and time spent finding the owner. Quite likely a foreigner who has left Thailand, cheap car abandoned in condo block.

Most likely abandoned due to an expensive repair or the above, but both will be troublesome.

Re Tyres - as the OP wants to get it for a song he will be singing Countertenor at 3/5 grand a corner would think he would go to S/h 400 baht a throw.

Interesting about the Brussels airport. Does Thailand not have a process to claim title to abandoned vehicles? In most jusitdictions I know of they are considered a nuisance and removed as rubbish. I lived many years in California, there are places cars will be removed within minutes(illegal parking). In my Condo in Irvine cars without current parking passes were removed 72 hours post notification, at owners expense. I undetstand they become property of the State and can be auctioned off or scrapped for salvage in as little as 110 days.

xerostar

I applaud your constructive persistence. I used to be like you. I had the odd success and learnt a lot about procedures and ways of doing things along the way. But after nearly 20 years, I have become defeatist and tend to shrug my shoulders like the natives.

Ask if somebody in the police can help you. If you know no police, somebody you know will know.

Don't make it complicated if you succeed in finding the owner. Thais don't like long explanations. Contact the owner. "I want to buy your car. Do you have the blue book?" Please ensure you understand about buying a car that still has finance owing on it.

Thanks for all the constructive advice. I like a challenge and of course I'd like to prove the naysayers wrong. I'm just taking one step at a time as I'm retired and I'm in no hurry. I' ve been able to find out the owner's name and address. So I have written them a polite letter. Like most things in life, one can only try and hope for the best.

Ride your bike into it. Go to local police station and report an accident and that you would like to contact the owner to make reparation.

Or at least just say you did.

^Maybe he can't say? Scooter accident? whistling.gif

Edited by WarpSpeed

• 4 weeks later...

I have written a letter to the registered owner assuming they are still at the address given to me by the DLT.

I'm not that hopeful of an answer.

A person who allows their car to reach this condition probably isn't interested in answering letters. (also assuming they are still living and able)

If after a month or two without a reply I will contact the authorities at Suvarnabhumi airport and ask them how they deal with abandoned cars.

Maybe they can give me a few tips?

xerostar

I have followed this thread for a while, and noted the comments, I would just like to add that even if you find the owner, and manage to buy it from him/her, I assume you would want to transfer it into your name.

This would be OK if the owner is in Thailand, if not, it may not be possible, as the owner would have to obtain a resident certificate, stating "for the propose of selling a car", I think this has about one months validity, this has to be included with a passport copy showing a current visa, together with a signed proxy forms authorizing the transfer.

Further complications will arise if you try register the car anywhere other than Songkla. The old Cefiro does look in very good original shape, even under years of accumulated dust, if you could get it started and then be able to test drive it, and it was all in good order mechanically it would be worth 80 to 100K. So to go through all of this hassle, I would say you would need to buy it for 20 to 30 K. subject to transfer, is that what you had in mind.

^^
'as the owner would have to obtain a resident certificate, stating "for the propose of selling a car", I think this has about one months validity, this has to be included with a passport copy showing a current visa, together with a signed proxy forms authorizing the transfer.'
That is assuming the owner is a non thai. I would think that as the car is in Thailand statsically it is much more likely the owner is thai?
if so no resident certifcate would be required, just the blue book and a copy of the owners thai ID card
Edited by jay1980

^^
'as the owner would have to obtain a resident certificate, stating "for the propose of selling a car", I think this has about one months validity, this has to be included with a passport copy showing a current visa, together with a signed proxy forms authorizing the transfer.'
That is assuming the owner is a non thai. I would think that as the car is in Thailand statsically it is much more likely the owner is thai?
if so no resident certifcate would be required, just the blue book and a copy of the owners thai ID card

I agree Jay 1980, the transfer would be much easier if Thai owned.