Everest vs. GLC vs. X4

Gutenberg

I am consider buying a new car (adding another car to a 6 year old Pajero Sport) and after a few considerations, I am looking forward to either the Ford Everest (1,9mb), Mercedes GLC (4,5mb) or the X4 (4,5mb).

There is no other choice options within the same brands because of budget (e.g. no GLE and no X5/X6 and no GLA because ugly). I was already at the different dealers and I would pay 1mb down for the Everest (getting a 20,000 THB payment plan), 2mb for the X4/GLC (about 40,000 THB monthly payments).

I had not - and probably never will have - the possibility to test drive those cars. Also, I have never driven another car except Vios, Fortuner and Pajero Sport.

So here are my "facts"...

• Everest: Looks good, safety equipment up to EU standards, size, 200hp, price
  • GLC: Looks luxury, badge, want a Mercedes, Wife's choice, fear of longevity
  • X4: Looks fun to drive, reviews says it is a "fun" car, seems really small

The price tag is of course an argument but I really do not care about resale value and I want to keep the car forever, so it should not brake down in e.g. 15 years.

It is really hard to decide but I look forward to some other opinions.

I am consider buying a new car (adding another car to a 6 year old Pajero Sport) and after a few considerations, I am looking forward to either the Ford Everest (1,9mb), Mercedes GLC (4,5mb) or the X4 (4,5mb).

There is no other choice options within the same brands because of budget (e.g. no GLE and no X5/X6 and no GLA because ugly). I was already at the different dealers and I would pay 1mb down for the Everest (getting a 20,000 THB payment plan), 2mb for the X4/GLC (about 40,000 THB monthly payments).

I had not - and probably never will have - the possibility to test drive those cars. Also, I have never driven another car except Vios, Fortuner and Pajero Sport.

So here are my "facts"...

• Everest: Looks good, safety equipment up to EU standards, size, 200hp, price
  • GLC: Looks luxury, badge, want a Mercedes, Wife's choice, fear of longevity
  • X4: Looks fun to drive, reviews says it is a "fun" car, seems really small
The price tag is of course an argument but I really do not care about resale value and I want to keep the car forever, so it should not brake down in e.g. 15 years.

It is really hard to decide but I look forward to some other opinions.

Um ... you are certainly not comparing like for like. I think that if you can put up with the Revo like display go for the jacked up C Class. Who designed that facia ......

Might want to add Audi Q5 to your list ?

Good idea but I never liked the design of Audi.

Um ... you are certainly not comparing like for like. I think that if you can put up with the Revo like display go for the jacked up C Class. Who designed that facia ......

Well, actually I am not quite sure what you are writing but I compare exactly the cars which I like, interior and exterior.

Wouldn't the X3 be a more logical competitor to the GLC than the X4?

I wouldn't buy a BMW or Mercedes if reliability after 15 years was the priority.

The Germans are overweight but the Everest is even worse.

The Everest interior is a bit basic but comparatively it is great value.

Buy German if you want prestige.

Might want to add Audi Q5 to your list ?

Good idea but I never liked the design of Audi.

Well, actually I am not quite sure what you are writing but I compare exactly the cars which I like, interior and exterior.

Now that I have re-read your words neither am I sure why I am writing either.

But I will suggest that you don't spend 4.5M or even 1.76M on what others think. Insist on a reasonable length of test drive.

When I considered changing my 5-series for an E-class a few years I got invited to a day out. Decided that I didn't like it in the end though.

I'm quite happy with my EVT+. It is big compared to your other two choices.

One thing you need to weigh into the equation, is that all cars are going to start costing your real money to maintain at some point... For some that starts at 5 years, for others maybe up to 10 years, but there's simply no such thing as a car that will go 15 years, as a daily driver, without needing major repairs... And once the repair bills start, they don't end either - just ask Claire Quilty smile.png

The other thing is, no matter how much you think your new car will be your "wife for life", trust me, they are girlfriends at best....None of these cars are going to turn out to be "timeless classics", so a newer model will catch your eye one day, and it will be out with old hag, in with the new stunner tongue.png ... Assuming she didn't already make you broke biggrin.png

As a long term proposition, the Everest is the easy choice. All the major mechanical parts are shared with the Ranger, which even after the current series ends, will continue to be well supported simply due to the volume made and sold here. The Benz and BMW are going to be much harder to find parts for, and much more expensive parts to buy, both after warranty, and increasingly so as time goes on.

German cars in Thailand are really only for those turning them every 3-5 years. Best to let some other sucker go broke keeping them on the road after that, IMHO wink.png

One thing you need to weigh into the equation, is that all cars are going to start costing your real money to maintain at some point... For some that starts at 5 years, for others maybe up to 10 years, but there's simply no such thing as a car that will go 15 years, as a daily driver, without needing major repairs... And once the repair bills start, they don't end either - just ask Claire Quilty smile.png

The other thing is, no matter how much you think your new car will be your "wife for life", trust me, they are girlfriends at best....None of these cars are going to turn out to be "timeless classics", so a newer model will catch your eye one day, and it will be out with old hag, in with the new stunner tongue.png ... Assuming she didn't already make you broke biggrin.png

As a long term proposition, the Everest is the easy choice. All the major mechanical parts are shared with the Ranger, which even after the current series ends, will continue to be well supported simply due to the volume made and sold here. The Benz and BMW are going to be much harder to find parts for, and much more expensive parts to buy, both after warranty, and increasingly so as time goes on.

German cars in Thailand are really only for those turning them every 3-5 years. Best to let some other sucker go broke keeping them on the road after that, IMHO wink.png

Thanks, this is a really good advice! Never thought about it in that way. Just to add, my Pajero holds nearly 7 years without any issues (except that one crash :D) and I think it will at least run another 3-5 years without breaking down. The problem about turning cars might be the higher budget needed. Maybe it is easier to lease the car and then return it for a new model.

If you have 2 M THB deposit for X4/GLC, why not just pay cash for the Everest,job done.

regards worgeordie

I consider buying on financing the better thing to do.

I do not understand this choice to the car.

If you do not see much difference between Everest and two Germans, then buy Everest.

Why pay twice the price for something you do not understand?

Ford must be compared with the Fortuner , Pajero sport (by the way the new with the exception of the back, not very bad) Nissan X trail (very good price)

IMHO

Best regards

If buying on finance is your only option then needs must. But there is always a risk of leaving your wife with an added problem should you go to meet your maker early...

50% down is nearly a guarantee that the bank will take it back with a smile and then I find it better, that my wife has the other 50% in assets and not the bank, so don't worry about my wife, read up about Trusts.

I do not understand this choice to the car.

If you do not see much difference between Everest and two Germans, then buy Everest.

Why pay twice the price for something you do not understand?

Ford must be compared with the Fortuner , Pajero sport (by the way the new with the exception of the back, not very bad) Nissan X trail (very good price)

IMHO

Best regards

This is the choice based on design likes, exterior and interior. These cars must not compared with the ones you say, you may but you must not. The Fortuner is never a choice for me because I sat behind one already, and it is nasty to drive. The new Pajero is just to damn ugly (front/back) and other Japanese cars will never find a place in my garage.

This is the choice based on design likes, exterior and interior. These cars must not compared with the ones you say, you may but you must not. The Fortuner is never a choice for me because I sat behind one already, and it is nasty to drive. The new Pajero is just to damn ugly (front/back) and other Japanese cars will never find a place in my garage.

About Fortuner its same pajero sport drive. I had both. Just do nt know thai pagero qulity same Fortuner?

quality Fortuner is a nightmare.biggrin.png

I like the design of the Everest. So for everest in same class car in Thailand to your taste, there is no competition biggrin.png

Everest and two german car its total diferent

Everest never be handle road and drive on road same as this is german car

And this is german car never be same everest ofroad

and Everest is hav't the choice of options as german

So if for you not big difernts and only desing is important when buying car

And ofcouse if you can pay double only for desing.

You go and buy what you first come in your mind. No need ask at forum

Once I bought a car for my GF.We came out in the morning to buy the Audi A4, and drive near Toyota diler- bought the Toyota mark X. because that is around the gearshift lights. GF wanted.biggrin.png

Whish you get GOOD car for You.

About Fortuner its same pajero sport drive. I had both. Just do nt know thai pagero qulity same Fortuner?

quality Fortuner is a nightmare.biggrin.png

I like the design of the Everest. So for everest in same class car in Thailand to your taste, there is no competition biggrin.png

Everest and two german car its total diferent

Everest never be handle road and drive on road same as this is german car

And this is german car never be same everest ofroad

and Everest is hav't the choice of options as german

So if for you not big difernts and only desing is important when buying car

And ofcouse if you can pay double only for desing.

You go and buy what you first come in your mind. No need ask at forum

Once I bought a car for my GF.We came out in the morning to buy the Audi A4, and drive near Toyota diler- bought the Toyota mark X. because that is around the gearshift lights. GF wanted.biggrin.png

Whish you get GOOD car for You.

There's really only one European SUV you could logically directly compare with the Everest: the Land Rover Discovery4

Both are body on frame construction, both extremely capable off road, both composed on road, both 7 seats, neither a sports car but both great tourers, and both using a Ford diesel engine.

The Disco4 gains points with it's more powerful V6 diesel and slightly higher levels of refinement, and more points again on ride quality if you spend the $ extra for air suspension.

It loses lots, and lots, and lots of points on price though ;)

So maybe the other way to look at this question is: Benz GLC, BMW X4, or the Disco4's 1/4 price competition? :P

If buying on finance is your only option then needs must. But there is always a risk of leaving your wife with an added problem should you go to meet your maker early...

50% down is nearly a guarantee that the bank will take it back with a smile and then I find it better, that my wife has the other 50% in assets and not the bank, so don't worry about my wife, read up about Trusts.

Ah, now I see where you are coming from.

You have 4.5Mb as an asset and change that into a car that will be worth probably 3.5Mb in twelve months time as an asset.

OR

You have 4.5Mb as an asset and deposit 2Mb on the same car. So you have 2.5Mb in cash left as an asset. Twelve months later the bank takes your car and sells it to pay off the outstanding debt. But you still have your 2.5Mb as an asset less of course those 40000thb monthly payments.

How many cup holders does the Merc have ............

Ah, now I see where you are coming from.

You have 4.5Mb as an asset and change that into a car that will be worth probably 3.5Mb in twelve months time as an asset.

OR

You have 4.5Mb as an asset and deposit 2Mb on the same car. So you have 2.5Mb in cash left as an asset. Twelve months later the bank takes your car and sells it to pay off the outstanding debt. But you still have your 2.5Mb as an asset less of course those 40000thb monthly payments.

How many cup holders does the Merc have ............

What are you talking about? There are so many options available but you choose the one that fits your personality the best?

I am under 30 years and I think you may pass before me (as you wrote earlier that I might "meet my maker" early).

Archived