How To Connect My Laptop In Kamala (phuket)

kamalabay

How do I connect my Laptop to internet so I can read my mail and home newspaper? The hotel i will stay at have Wifi but it´s very expensive, 200 thb/hour. It´s telephone in the room but very expensive to connect ADSL. I think maby I can have some sort of EDGE/GPRS PC Card with SIM card. ?? Any suggestion how to get som provider and buy Simcard and access time?

Very confused :o

I use AIS GPRS through Bluetooth and my cell phone. If your computer doesn't have Bluetooth it probably does have Infrared. If you have a cable to connect your phone to the computer, that is also a good way to connect. If you are going to use the GPRS a lot it will pay you to subscribe to a package. You can subscribe over the phone by dialing *138 and following the options given. I get 25 hours from AIS for 100 baht. The speed is not that great but at least it works. It IS faster than dial up most of the time.

How do I connect my Laptop to internet so I can read my mail and home newspaper? The hotel i will stay at have Wifi but it´s very expensive, 200 thb/hour. It´s telephone in the room but very expensive to connect ADSL. I think maby I can have some sort of EDGE/GPRS PC Card with SIM card. ?? Any suggestion how to get som provider and buy Simcard and access time?

Edge is supposedly faster but I have never been anywhere where it was available. My phone is Edge capable. Hutch is also a bit faster but again I don't know if you have coverage where you are at. GPRS through your infra red connection is probably the slowest but it will work and costs you nothing.

EDIT - You will be using your SIM card through your phone. I had a Solomon modem for a SIM card that cost me 10,000 baht and it was no better than my phone.

Thanks Gary A.

I have Infrared and used it a lot before. But now they say I should buy some sort of EDGE/GPRS PC Card with SIM card. I don´t know what´s best.

Edited by Gary A

Do you live in Thailand? How many hours per day do you plan to spend on the Internet? Do you have a mobile phone? Does it support IR and GPRS?

It might be more cost-effective to take your laptop to an Internet Cafe plug in to their LAN, and pay the hourly fee? Or just use the Internet Cafe's PCs? Or find a free or lower cost WiFi access point?

I live in Thailand, have a Nokia 6070 (GPRS/IR) mobile, IBM ThinkPad T41, have a 1-2-Call pre-paid SIM, subscribe to 25 hours of GPRS per month for 107 baht. I use this set-up when there is not wired or WiFi access. I achieve some pretty decent access speeds (56 - 108 kbps), and it even works on a moving bus in Issan! Perhaps the most amazing thing is the ease of use. Nokia PC Suite has a one-touch utility that required no configuration (other than to choose AIS form the service provider list).