Flyer fee: International passengers must pay extra THB15 fee

webfact

The sum is trivial no one would argue with that. The point is the Thailand CAA was always required to do their job, that is what they were paid for. Evidently my assumption on this is wrong. They have ben getting paid not to do their job. It is about time the so called workers in the Aviation industry started to work instead of seeing their salary as a bonus for doing nothing.

When you say "Thailand CAA", I'm sure you mean Thailand DCA ( Department of Civil Aviation) whoa re well funde ( 18 inspectors and almost 600 office staff). Aa far as I know, there is no Thailand CAA -- so where is the money going ?
There was a news article on thaivisa the other day which included something about dca being revamped into the caa

Happened on 01 Oct. Dr. Chula was the DG from the Marine Department and now runs CAA. CAA, seemingly, will now be a self-funded organization.

Tigermonkey, your statement that, "whoa re well funde" which I assume means "who are well funded", is incorrect. The reason DCA only had 18 (actually 11) inspectors who were not qualified and which lead to the poor audits by ICAO and FAA is because they were NOT WELL FUNDED. Whenever they would get a qualified pilot inspector, he would soon be snapped up by an airline who paid 3x the salary. DCA did not have the funds to pay their inspector staff.

AOT, on the other hand, is making a good profit.

AOT is not DCA or CAA and they are not responsible for aviation safety oversight. In fact, CAA is responsible for safety oversight through inspection of airport operations and certification of airports.

The sum is trivial no one would argue with that. The point is the Thailand CAA was always required to do their job, that is what they were paid for. Evidently my assumption on this is wrong. They have ben getting paid not to do their job. It is about time the so called workers in the Aviation industry started to work instead of seeing their salary as a bonus for doing nothing.

When you say "Thailand CAA", I'm sure you mean Thailand DCA ( Department of Civil Aviation) whoa re well funde ( 18 inspectors and almost 600 office staff). Aa far as I know, there is no Thailand CAA -- so where is the money going ?

Yes they are the Civil Aviation Authority for Thailand i.e. they supervise / advise etc on civilian aircraft issues

Edited by gandalf12

There was a news article on thaivisa the other day which included something about dca being revamped into the caa

Happened on 01 Oct. Dr. Chula was the DG from the Marine Department and now runs CAA. CAA, seemingly, will now be a self-funded organization.

Tigermonkey, your statement that, "whoa re well funde" which I assume means "who are well funded", is incorrect. The reason DCA only had 18 (actually 11) inspectors who were not qualified and which lead to the poor audits by ICAO and FAA is because they were NOT WELL FUNDED. Whenever they would get a qualified pilot inspector, he would soon be snapped up by an airline who paid 3x the salary. DCA did not have the funds to pay their inspector staff.

AOT, on the other hand, is making a good profit.

AOT is not DCA or CAA and they are not responsible for aviation safety oversight. In fact, CAA is responsible for safety oversight through inspection of airport operations and certification of airports.

Thank you for the more recent information. I have no idea why Thailand is not proclaiming this action far and wide. The (apparent) conflict of interest amongst THAI, AOT and DCA , especially the latter two, has been a major issue between Thailand and ICAO for many years, especially since the 12GO crash at Phuket. EASA's rather conciliatory decision now makes more sense. We will need to wait and see how independent and effective this new CAA will be.

As for "well funded", my information is from the ICAO side and is admittedly somewhat dated. However, earlier this year DCA was paying 18 persons as 'inspector', of whom, 5 were deemed to have "suitable aptitude and background'" however this staff of 18 each had a support staff of 30 at their offices, which I call "well funded", although totally inappropriate. Presumably these almost 600 staff have been absorbed elsewhere in the Ministry of Transport.

Strange people these Thai. Do something right and they keep it quiet. Perhaps they do not want to be seen as acquiescing to the wishes of other nations.

Edited by tigermonkey

Yes they are the Civil Aviation Authority for Thailand i.e. they supervise / advise etc on civilian aircraft issues

Yes, I have been updated. The independent CAAT ( civil Aviation Authority of Thailand) was started in October, replacing the DCA, which was part of the Ministry of Transport. The CAAT now has oversight of all civil aviation matters in Thailand including Thai airlines, airports, foreign airlines in Thailand and air traffic control. A long overdue move which was done very quietly. The new fee is to fund this new agency.. Not sure what they have used for money from October until the revenue from the new fee arrives .

Edited by tigermonkey

Yes, I have been updated. The independent CAAT ( civil Aviation Authority of Thailand) was started in October, replacing the DCA, which was part of the Ministry of Transport. The CAAT now has oversight of all civil aviation matters in Thailand including Thai airlines, airports, foreign airlines in Thailand and air traffic control. A long overdue move which was done very quietly. The new fee is to fund this new agency.. Not sure what they have used for money from October until the revenue from the new fee arrives .

Probably to have a good time, nothing to do with the industry

Probably to have a good time, nothing to do with the industry

Huh ???????

Well, call me stupid if you like but if there was funds for the DCA, why can't these funds be moved to the CAAT? Seems to everybody that with all the funding previously, the DCA staff have not done their jobs well (but quite sure they received their annual bonus payments...). Why will the passenger now have to pay? And will that extra Baht 15 also fund the annual 5 months bonus?

Well, call me stupid if you like but if there was funds for the DCA, why can't these funds be moved to the CAAT? Seems to everybody that with all the funding previously, the DCA staff have not done their jobs well (but quite sure they received their annual bonus payments...). Why will the passenger now have to pay? And will that extra Baht 15 also fund the annual 5 months bonus?

The CAAT has been founded to be independent of outside influence, unlike the DCA which had the same ownership as AOT and THAI (50%). Regulatory agencies should be independent in the same manner as judges should be independent. Funds can not be moved from DCA to CAAT, since the funds are the source of the conflict of interest.

Everyone involved should pay a portion of the cost of t he new CAAT - passengers, airlines, airlines, etc. I.m sure they have developed a funding formula. You are only hearing about the passenger portion, since the other portions have no relevance to you.

The AOT has made massive, record profits from increased flights, is paying all its staff 5 months or so bonuses, is it really necessary to add another THB 15 to cover extra security when there aren't really any ???

Isn't it a one year bonus I read somewhere?

They make billions of profits and we have to pay +35B +15B now x 40 million arrivals.

With 50,000,000 passengers passing through Bangkok's largest airport annually and perhaps this fee only applies to half of them (Not sure arrivals and departures?) Then this tax will generate 375,000,000 baht. This one of several Thai international airports and is nothing but a great RIP OFF.